Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,173 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (670) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1193701 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:26pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I have come to realise that It’s due to a number of factors.

1. "Free" Healthcare (Cost of health care in the US is ridiculous)
2. Lower cost of living. Compared to the US, the UK is actually cheaper, especially with basic amenities, food/groceries. (However, inflation is affecting this).
3. UK’s economy is not as vast as that of the US. It’s also really just a small island.
4. The power of GBP compared to other currencies. (Event though this has dwindled over the years).

I mentioned 3 countries in my post though wink

..And you have countered everything yourself cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rvpbae: 7:27pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Yes you can, even your Nigerian driver’s license is good enough. However it’s only valid for a year, beginning from the day you landed in the UK.

Good evening.

Pls are you saying I can use my Nigerian driving license in the uk?

I see people doing the international drivers license, of what use is that pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:33pm On Oct 19, 2022
rvpbae:

Good evening.

I see people doing the international drivers license, of what use is that pls?
Yes you can, it’s only valid for a year though; counting from the day you got into this country. As for the international driver’s license, It’s a waste of money if you already have a valid Nigeria driver’s license.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 7:34pm On Oct 19, 2022
Thank God anti Suliya don resign

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2022
hustla:

I mentioned 3 countries in my post though wink

[/b]..And you have countered everything yourself cheesy[b]

Apply the rationale to those other countries as well, save for the free healthcare. Also their currencies do not carry as much weight as the GBP.

As for the bolded, it’s the way they’ve always been. Hence, my countering the thought process behind it. Besides, I’ve noticed that quite a number of tech companies now pay higher than average. The challengers are challenging the likes of Microsoft with the pay scale. Companies like R3, Binance, Amazon, TikTok and quite a number of unicorns pay above average.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2022
rvpbae:

Good evening.

I see people doing the international drivers license, of what use[b][/b] is that pls?

If you decide to visit other continents/countries as where acceptable and applicable then you can drive with it there as well, that's in addition to being able to use it here! Na d use be dat.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 7:46pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

And the gag is, she’s an immigrant! Looks like she has forgotten where she’s from because she’s married to a white man. Las Las she go dey alright.

Iron sharpens iron.. grin
Perhaps only an immigrant can do that job effectively for the Tories

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:51pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Apply the rationale to those other countries as well, save for the free healthcare. Also their currencies do not carry as much weight as the GBP.

As for the bolded, it’s the way they’ve always been. Hence, my countering the thought process behind it. Besides, I’ve noticed that quite a number of tech companies now pay higher than average. The challengers are challenging the likes of Microsoft with the pay scale. Companies like R3, Binance, Amazon, TikTok and quite a number of unicorns pay above average.

Netflix and Twitter too, I think

As for the currency part, they spend in their currency and not GBP, so I dont think the GBP vs CAD or AUD comparisons hold water

If minimum wage in AU is $20/hr and Im getting $80 - $110/hr, isnt that going to be very decent salary?

Gotta chose one's poison

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:01pm On Oct 19, 2022
hustla:

As for the currency part, they spend in their currency and not GBP, so I dont think the GBP vs CAD or AUD comparisons hold water

If minimum wage in AU is $20/hr and Im getting $80 - $110/hr, isnt that going to be very decent salary?

smiley

Touché. I think when it comes to salaries, they are generally stingy in Europe because this pay gap cuts across a lot of European countries.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rvpbae: 8:03pm On Oct 19, 2022
leef2022:

If you decide to visit other continents/countries as where acceptable and applicable then you can drive with it there as well, that's in addition to being able to use it here! Na d use be dat.

Well understood!!! The koko is I can use my Nigerian license in the uk.

Thanks for the explanation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rvpbae: 8:04pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Yes you can, it’s only valid for a year though; counting from the day you got into this country. As for the international driver’s license, It’s a waste of money if you already have a valid Nigeria driver’s license.

Thank you!!!

Let me save my money!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:11pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Touché. I think when it comes to salaries, they are generally stingy in Europe because this pay gap cuts across a lot of European countries.

True smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:12pm On Oct 19, 2022
rvpbae:

Thank you!!!

Let me save my money!
You’re welcome. Contact me for more financial advise grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:23pm On Oct 19, 2022
leef2022:

Iron sharpens iron.. grin
Perhaps only an immigrant can do that job effectively for the Tories
This makes so much sense. So they don’t come off as xenophobic.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2022
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors
Please we have an application with HO for almost 4 months now with no word whatsoever from them.At 3 months after bio we filled a complaint and no response.This is tiring now.please what can one do again to get a decision out asthis is getting too long.Anybody have any idea what can be keeping H&C visa for this super long time even though it's standard.You advise is solicited.please help please

Suella Braverman with her anti-immigration stance and red eye for Naija.

As she resigned today, the backlogs may be cleared. Who knows?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 8:26pm On Oct 19, 2022
hustla:

Gotta chose one's poison

smiley

Truth is some of the stuff you see online are not reality. Folks too don't tell the entire story. Do you know the cost of housing in a place like the US especially in the big and expensive cities? I know folks who make the move to the US from the UK and then complain about the economic realities.

Apart from IT jobs and medical doctors, most other occupations using the economic of scale are not really better off in comparison to the UK.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:30pm On Oct 19, 2022
Goke7:

Truth is some of the stuff you see online are not reality. Folks too don't tell the entire story. Do you know the cost of housing in a place like the US especially in the big and expensive cities? I know folks who make the move to the US from the UK and then complain about the economic realities.

Apart from IT jobs and medical doctors, most other occupations using the economic of scale are not really better off in comparison to the UK.

Well, thats the only interest I have unfortunately, and all my friends in those countries are in IT / healthcare smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rab4sure: 8:33pm On Oct 19, 2022
The last time I drove a manual car was over ten years ago, and I'm sure ass ell could still drive it anytime any day. It's like forgetting how to have *ex because it's been a while, no no no.

blank:

Can you not tell her to give you time to get your UK manual car license so you can use that time to go to a driving school? Been a long time I drove manual and I don't think I can still drive one
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 8:39pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Hi ya.

I'd spent years doing retail banking in Nigeria. Landed in the UK recently (not study visa) but want to make a career switch to Project Management (still a beginner and currently studying for PRINCE2 Foundation).

Have been applying to Admin roles to get a foot in the door. Have done two interviews so far and they're telling me I did well (currently awaiting their official feedback) but I'm not finding it funny (maybe it's the JJC in me). People have been saying you should not be bothered about your accent, as long as you speak clearly (which I've been doing so far) but I fear that it might be a drag actually and picking up the British accent has been a hassle to me.

Any pointers with regards to the PM career pursuit?

Sorry I just felt to rant. I dey find morale booster. undecided
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 8:43pm On Oct 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

That weird moment, you thought your village people no follow you enter plane........

Unbeknown to OP, then don melt enter hin bloodstream ............ cheesy

OP think say nah like 9ja, wey person go just carry motor ............ Wàhálà dey sleep, trouble wan wake am ..... grin

I don't think it's that hard sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You think a company insurance policy, would cover a driver, with a Nigerian driving licence............. cheesy

Well I drive a company vehicle with my Naija licence cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2022
Tinyemeka:

Hi ya.

I'd spent years doing retail banking in Nigeria. Landed in the UK recently (not study visa) but want to make a career switch to Project Management (still a beginner and currently studying for PRINCE2 Foundation).

Have been applying to Admin roles to get a foot in the door. Have done two interviews so far and they're telling me I did well (currently awaiting their official feedback) but I'm not finding it funny (maybe it's the JJC in me). People have been saying you should not be bothered about your accent, as long as you speak clearly (which I've been doing so far) but I fear that it might be a drag actually and picking up the British accent has been a hassle to me.

Any pointers with regards to the PM career pursuit?

Sorry I just felt to rant. I dey find morale booster. undecided
The accent thing might be in your head actually, this is the least of their worry unless they have a bias which I doubt. So you might be over thinking it. The fact that you are getting interviews means you are doing something right. You can hit up my inbox so we can speak further on scaling the interview process. I’m currently in this process as well and it has been exciting.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 8:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Like how to get £90 monthly insurance.

Àgbà big money saving expert grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by blank(f): 9:05pm On Oct 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Driving a manual car, is like knowing how to properly ride a bicycle.......... wink

You never forget, once you put your hands on the gear lever....... You always remember, that clutch bite point ......... wink

Lol. I know. Was exaggerating. But he is not well versed in manual so will be challenging for him. Especially with them driving on the wrong side of the road.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 9:11pm On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:
Hello guys. I have a serious issue. I arrived the UK few weeks ago. My employer wanted to give me the company car today for visiting clients and told a south African guy to accompany me to test my driving. It was quite different from the manual car i drove in naija and I had issues putting it in gear one. The guy just looked at me for close to ten minutes as I tried to put it in gear one in the roads in and afterwards he shouted on me to come down tgat that he is going to report me to the office that I can't drive. He drove to the office and worked in to discuss with the boss. My boss didn't wait to hear from me and said I have to go back to my country since I can't drive. I insisted I can drive. She said she can't enter the car to test my driving but my manager convinced her to and joined at the back. She however explained how to put it in gear one and I drove them for a short distance.

She said I should come and drive her husband round the city tomorrow to prove my driving prowess. She insisted i get a car immediately and said my case will be determined tomorrow.

I heard the SA guy is bringing his sister-in-law to the company. Don't know what to think right now or what to say to them tomorrow. I need advice

Thanks guys for your advice. I didn't drive the husband today. The wife said no need that I can't drive a manual car. The husband said they don't have an automatic car they would have given me.
He advised I apply for a UK provisional license and get an instructor to teach me so I can buy my car when I have a UK license. He said for now I should get a bicycle and recommend were to get cheap deals. He also said he will limit my clients to places close to where I live.

I am greatful it turned out this way. I had feard the worst but thank God it went well. thanks everyone for your concern and advise

26 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2022
Just DON'T!!! It's not the company or the mgr or the Source guy or the husband that will get 'the' ban, it's OP
Don't even bother about the line of #accomplice aka accessory to crime!!!
bigtt76:
Den wan nail hin coffin with DVLA ban cheesy
justwise:
Don't do it.
[UPDATED]
Just seeing OP @Progress160 feedback after my post. Good it 'turns out well'
... ... I didn't drive the husband today. The wife said no need that I can't drive a manual car. The husband said they don't have an automatic car they would have given me. ... ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:35pm On Oct 19, 2022
Wọn ni, ẹni a wi fun, ọba jẹ ọ gbọ. I beg oga Lexusgs430, over to you for ìtumọ #translate
That is the story of Suella QED
All I can say is o di gba o Suella (PS: I'm trying o remember my kiswahili. She I do, I'll update!)
For now, adios Suella. It was nice knowing you. Au revoir ne a bientot pas!
semmyk:
I'll refrain as much as I can on the unfolding ... suffice to say for now ... Let the home rat tell the bush rat that the town rat says Suella should note what befell the Kwasi that went zealous for the bidding of Liz
... ...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2022
HondaLover:

Like how to get £90 monthly insurance.

Àgbà big money saving expert grin

Daz me!! grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:54pm On Oct 19, 2022
HondaLover:

Well I drive a company vehicle with my Naija licence cheesy grin

This is interesting.........

What would now happen after 12 months (assuming you never pass UK test).........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

Thanks guys for your advice. I didn't drive the husband today. The wife said no need that I can't drive a manual car. The husband said they don't have an automatic car they would have given me.
He advised I apply for a UK provisional license and get an instructor to teach me so I can buy my car when I have a UK license. He said for now I should get a bicycle and recommend were to get cheap deals. He also said he will limit my clients to places close to where I live.

I am greatful it turned out this way. I had feard the worst but thank God it went well. thanks everyone for your concern and advise

Good it's sorted smoothly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

This is interesting.........

What would now happen after 12 months (assuming you never pass UK test).........

I tayad oo grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:58pm On Oct 19, 2022
ukay2:

I tayad oo grin

We are here to learn o .......... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.