Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,574 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (687) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177638 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (684) (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2022
Ok thanks.

hustla:

Vodafone

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
dustydee:

Once I touch, it latches on, no joke. Fear dey catch me sometimes sef.

I cannot guarantee that, I would have to be offered multiple attempts ........... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2022
koonbey:

Your limit for the lifetime ISA is 4,000 per year. If you reach the 4k in Feb next year, you can't pay in any additional money because February 2023 is still within the tax year of April 6 2022 - April 5 2023. You can only pay in another 4k from April 6 2023, after which the bonus should be paid in time for you to buy in June.

Ok thank you. April 6 2023 booked.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:15pm On Oct 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I cannot guarantee that, I would have be offered multiple attempts ........... grin
Bad guy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
dustydee:

I am humble, sir. grin
The issue may not be me but my partner. Now na to double up to avoid stories that touch.

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 6:02pm On Oct 23, 2022
dustydee:

Once I touch, it latches on, no joke. Fear dey catch me sometimes sef.

U b NL version of Holywood NC?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 6:26pm On Oct 23, 2022
semmyk:
A twist to the UK property hullabaloo or is it brouhaha
As it is in selling, it is in renting. Do read in-between the lines.
PS: not all are doggy!

"We kept a book of all the properties on the market and as soon as they hit 12 weeks we would knock on the door."
A former estate agent has revealed some of the dark arts he used to get business - including filling viewings with family members to drive down the price. The insider, who worked in Hampshire and has since left the industry, said the property market is a cut-throat world - and people will do anything to get ahead.

The man, who asked not to be named, claims estate agents regularly try and nick each others' clients. And he said he would often value properties at a higher price to get business - before using relatives to send it crashing down.

The worker, who is now in the oil and gas industry, said: "I just wanted to keep my job so I went with it. It was just a job but I did know it was a bit shady. "It was all the praise and rewards and gift cards you were getting for getting these things done.

Estate agents aren't your mates so keep your cards close to your chest – if you can go further don’t say that you can.”
The estate agent started in the industry after applying for a role with an agency. And, on finding properties to sell, he said: "Most contracts for estate agents are between 10 and 12 weeks.
"We kept a book of all the properties on the market and as soon as they hit 12 weeks we would knock on the door. We would find fault with the estate agent's pictures or ask the homeowner if they were happy with their current agent.
“We would take a contract with us in case we could poach them. Instead of finding business ourselves, we were getting business from people who were already ready to sell.”

He continued: "We also made up viewings".

"A leaflet and business card would drop through someone’s door saying ‘Mr. K is interested in your property, please contact us’ but this was a made up person. Then we had their number and email address on the system."

The agent also said that, if a property had been launched and had no viewings, a family member would sometimes be sent round to view the property. As well as making the agent look like he had filled viewing slots, the relative would also value the house at £10,000 less.

By doing this, the ex-agent had got the homeowner's business with a high valuation - before getting someone else to break the news that the property was worth less than they thought. He said: “If we launched a property on Rightmove and it got no viewings, we would send a family member to view the property and then say they thought the house was worth £10,000 less than it actually was.
“So we were poaching clients, getting the house up on the market – and then telling the client they were selling it for too much. Also, if you’re booking viewings and know the school run is at 3pm and it’s ridiculously busy, we would say the client can only do viewings outside of that time.

“If the parking was bad at 5pm, you try and get all your viewings done in the day.”

And when it comes to valuation, the former agent said: “When we’re booking in a market appraisal, we ask what other competition is going to be there. If we can get our valuer in first, we can try and blow them out the water to get them to sign a contract with us first.

“If that doesn’t work, we book our person in last and get them to try and force the homeowner into signing a contract.”

As well as revealing the secrets of the trade, the anonymous insider has also revealed his top three tips for potential buyers and sellers.

1. What to ask
He said: “Visit the property at different times like weekends and after 5pm.
“Find out if the loft is boarded or part-boarded and ask who owns the boundaries.
“How old is the boiler? When was it last serviced? What is the sellers position – are they in a rush to sell?”

2. Leaseholds
He said: “Be careful buying leasehold properties especially those that are cheaper as they normally have a small year's lease on them.
“If this gets too low, you will find it difficult to get a mortgage on and the fees can be quite large to renew the lease.”

3. Costs
He said: “Always work out your costs and ask if there is any maintenance, ground rent or service charges.
“A lot of new builds have unadopted roads and it’s up to the residents to pay for repairs.
“If the agent doesn’t know this information and the owner hasn’t told them then you won’t find this out until you have already started paying for solicitors.”

When I spoke weeks back about folks not acting desperate and falling prey to these agents, I was attached left, right n centre.

E go clear una for eye
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by japhethGold: 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2022
You don't understand the mechanics of income taxes in the UK, hence, you look at the surface only. I am a chartered accountant and a UK tax consultant so I can tell you that some additional rate payers pay as much as 60% because at certain income levels above GBP145,500 threshold the personal allowance (PA) they enjoy becomes ZERO. And then plus National Insurance (NI) deductions their tax burden hits 60%.

However, if you have a tax consultant like me to work with you we could ligitimately adopt some tax avoidance strategies to save you from this tax hammer.
dustydee:

shocked Which UK? Top rate is 45%

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2022
koonbey:

You can put the payment in at once.

And my research was that it doesn't constitute public funds. There was a lot of ambiguity but that was the conclusion I reached after many hours of research.

Hopefully someone here can confirm.
Brilliant, thank you so much!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:11pm On Oct 23, 2022
Gemma11:

You can pay in installments or lump sum if easier using the stragety which @koonbey posted above . You have to be a UK resident and tax payer to open an LISA. I can't see any rules where it says legal immigrants or international students are forbidden to open one but you could make enquiries among your peers or if on a student visa with your educational establishment just to be on the safe side.
Perfect, I’m so glad I asked. I’ll definitely conduct my own research as well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2022
semmyk:

1. What to ask
He said: “Visit the property at different times like weekends and after 5pm.
“Find out if the loft is boarded or part-boarded and ask who owns the boundaries.
“How old is the boiler? When was it last serviced? What is the sellers position – are they in a rush to sell?”

2. Leaseholds
He said: “Be careful buying leasehold properties especially those that are cheaper as they normally have a small year's lease on them.
“If this gets too low, you will find it difficult to get a mortgage on and the fees can be quite large to renew the lease.”

3. Costs
He said: “Always work out your costs and ask if there is any maintenance, ground rent or service charges.
“A lot of new builds have unadopted roads and it’s up to the residents to pay for repairs.
“If the agent doesn’t know this information and the owner hasn’t told them then you won’t find this out until you have already started paying for solicitors.”

Interesting.

Especially that service charge because sometimes it will be like rent on it's own.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BuildingProject: 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Good evening ancestors. Thank God that the gbas gbos of student this and that are over.

I want to know something about the tier 2 visa,

If the main applicant (Health and Social care), becomes a dependant to the former dependant (IT sector) of the same tier 2 visa, Will it affect their time for ILR?.

Will their time reset to year 1. OR they can continue counting from the H&SC visa.

I hope i made sense.
Thank you my people, my people.

I don't think it's going to reset. Cause the rules says for as long you're on a valid visa and residing in the UK legally, then you qualify for it. That is my own opinion but if it's written anywhere, let the elders post it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Greathand01: 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2022
Please help o..where can I get affordable haircut in Liverpool....my head aches seriously..just normal lowcut...All these oyinbos around are saying £20

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
Greathand01:
Please help o..where can I get affordable haircut in Liverpool....my head aches seriously..just normal lowcut...All these oyinbos around are saying £20[b][/b]

That's cheap na.. perhaps ur worry should be if they make you get to put winter hats on whilst still in summer...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lordfiido(m): 9:40pm On Oct 23, 2022
Greathand01:
Please help o..where can I get affordable haircut in Liverpool....my head aches seriously..just normal lowcut...All these oyinbos around are saying £20
L7 2RF kessington. A Nigerian guy. He charged me £12 the last time I cut my hair there. He’s very good
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jvas: 9:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
Gemma11:

My advice is to get yourself in the system and build up a credit profile asap as soon as you arrive in the country. It is ok to do cash in hand but having a job which is subject to tax and NI is important as well. Once you get a job, get a credit card to use and pay off regularly in (don't miss any payments) to build up your credit score so when it comes to applying for a mortgage you will be in good stead. A contract phone is also another way...just make sure you pay on time each month. Good idea to set up standing orders or direct debits so you don't miss anything. In this fast UK lifestyle it is very easy to forget to pay something so it is best to automate key payments.

If you are under 30 and intend to buy then do so asap as you are more likely to get a 35 year mortgage. Don't be put of by the number of yeats because anyhouse bought today is certainly going to increase in value. The UK is an Island and only around 10% of the land is built on and so there is always going to be high demand for properties.

Look into schemes that the UK Govt has to help first time buyers like LISA where you get £1k free each year for every £4 saved to help you build up a deposit. You and your partner can both open LISA accounts and get up to £1k free each every year which can be combined to make your deposit

Many may not be too comfortable about the advice below but here is what I did..

In terms of property, alwasy punch above your weight in that It doesn't matter if the mortgage payments are more than you can afford. even thoug the bank will assess your affordability based on your income, just try and go for as much as you can. The goal is to secure a property (always go for freehold) . Once you get one, you can always rent out a room or two and that will help with mortgage payments.

Buy properties in high rent locations like near key stations, universities, amenities ect.

London areas now which to me are still affordable and good for rentals yields are Belvedere, Erith and Abbeywood, Romford.

If London is completely out of the question then look at university cities/towns like coventry, birmingham, huddersfield, Manchester, colchester ect for solid cheap houses which can be changed into HMOs to house students. Students pay on average around £450-£500 a room and most pay in full for a year.

Oh yeah and once a house increases in equity, remortage if you can take out the money and use it as a deposit on another house..that's if your intent is to build a property portfolio.

Another tip, always overpay your monthly mortgage if you can as it reduces the interest.
You have done well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
Greathand01:

Buy a clipper and cut it lowwww

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2022
Greathand01:

£20 * ₦800 = ₦16,000 (for a haircut), that would last only one week ............. grin

Welcome to the youkay......... grin

Buy this cordless clipper, use your head as the guinea pig....... Eventually, practice would make perfect....... cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:23pm On Oct 23, 2022
Greathand01:

Your options
- get yourself a clipper and be your own barber
- go with the flow and pay the £20
- look around for African or black barbers to see if you ll get a bargain
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 10:38pm On Oct 23, 2022
BJ pulls out na 1min man grin. RS na cruise to No. 10
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:39pm On Oct 23, 2022
'Certainly' noted
Gemma11:
Thanks for quoting me but there was some typos in my post which I have corrected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:50pm On Oct 23, 2022
Make RS come borrow my Superyacht. I go charge am in ₦ self cheesy grin cheesy
As for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Sky News no even see am as in d race self; dem doubt say BJ ever get the numbers!
But then Sky dey adamant say BJ eyes dey set for No 10 gidigba.
abeg, wey my popcorn, abi an guguru. In fact, asun and cashew go better pass, make dem continue. At my age, I no go give myself HBP; for matter wey I don leave for mathias.
leef2022:
BJ pulls out. RS na cruise to No. 10
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 10:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
semmyk:
Make RS come borrow my Superyacht. I go charge am in ₦ self cheesy grin cheesy
As for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson[b][/b], Sky News no even see am as in d race self; dem doubt say BJ ever get the numbers!
But then Sky dey adamant say BJ eyes dey set for No 10 gidigba.
abeg, wey my popcorn, abi an guguru. In fact, asun and cashew go better pass, make dem continue. At my age, I no go give myself HBP; for matter wey I don leave for mathias.

E go reschedule another hols, £115k is assured.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2022
OmichaelO:
Please which Schengen countries has the nearest appointment date.
Edakun ooo
Epp epp epp epp epp epp epp
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 11:14pm On Oct 23, 2022
BuildingProject:

I don't think it's going to reset. Cause the rules says for as long you're on a valid visa and residing in the UK legally, then you qualify for it. That is my own opinion but if it's written anywhere, let the elders post it.

It does

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Emmyk(m): 12:46am On Oct 24, 2022
Good evening everyone.

I'm on a 24-month contract with Three Mobile. This is my 10th month with them, we changed location recently and their network has been awful, no reception to call or to browse anywhere inside the house except you hang by the window. grin

I notified them that I'm not doing again, but I was told I'd have to pay about £300 to leave their network.

Is it possible to end my sim only contract without paying the early cancellation charges? Because I'd like to call again and give this reason (no network reception).

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:15am On Oct 24, 2022
Emmyk:
Good evening everyone.

I'm on a 24-month contract with Three Mobile. This is my 10th month with them, we changed location recently and their network has been awful, no reception to call or to browse anywhere inside the house except you hang by the window. grin

I notified them that I'm not doing again, but I was told I'd have to pay about £300 to leave their network.

Is it possible to end my sim only contract without paying the early cancellation charges? Because I'd like to call again and give this reason (no network reception).

Thanks.

Unfortunately, you are stuck with this contract....... If you cancel, you are liable to pay a cancellation fee(or face a blacklist).........

If you have WiFi and your provider + device supports WiFi calling, that might be your only route ...........

https://www.finance.co.uk/guides/can-cancel-mobile-phone-contract-cannot-get-signal/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 1:22am On Oct 24, 2022
Emmyk:
Good evening everyone.

Thanks.

Three supports WiFi calling,

Enable it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 8:14am On Oct 24, 2022
Mine last a month oo because i make sure it’s last skin cheesy no fancy haircut
Lexusgs430:

£20 * ₦800 = ₦16,000 (for a haircut), that would last only one week ............. grin

Welcome to the youkay......... grin

Buy this cordless clipper, use your head as the guinea pig....... Eventually, practice would make perfect....... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2022
Saw this in my Lloyds app and remembered what our brother in Christ, Lexusgs430 said to do when you see this and leasehold

grin

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:13am On Oct 24, 2022
hustla:
Saw this in my Lloyds app and remembered what our brother in Christ, Lexusgs430 said to do when you see this and leasehold

grin

This is not good idea, fixed for 10yrs on this current interest rate? And when interest rate comes down you will still be paying higher rate

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:33am On Oct 24, 2022
justwise:

This is not good idea, fixed for 10yrs on this current interest rate? And when interest rate comes down you will still be paying higher rate

It's a hoooooooge financial trap and an invitation to treat........ It's the Halloween season ......... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (684) (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.