Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,439 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (715) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177555 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2022
Does anyone know why the Naira is appreciating so much in the last of days?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
At least I deserved a welcome package smiley but tbh I thought I previously read where tax are immediately once drops in that you need to hit a target of income before it becomes taxable.

I assume you're only joking smiley but just in case - no, there is no "hello, welcome" tax break. There is presently a personal tax allowance of just under £13,000 which applies to most employees (unless you're a very high earner) but all earnings over this allowance are subject to income tax, usually done automatically at source. Other mandatory UK taxes apply such as council tax.

There is a budget due on the 17th which is expected to include tax rises
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2022
kode12:

Nigeria government said they were changing the naira and suddenly naira burst out from under people bed in large quantities

Then someone started a rumor that that any US dollar bill issued before 2022 would not be acceptable by January 2023...... although its fake news many people thought it was real news especially the Bureaux dey change operators in naija and dollars started appearing in large quantities from under the bed as well , flooding the market with so much dollars hence crashing the demand for it.

So naira artificially is up because naira and dollars are in much circulation now

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 3:34pm On Nov 12, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Nigeria government said they were changing the naira and suddenly naira burst out from under people bed in large quantities

Then someone started a rumor that that any US dollar bill issued before 2022 would not be acceptable by January 2023...... although its fake news many people thought it was real news especially the Bureaux dey change operators in naira and dollars started appearing in large quantities from under the bed as well , flooding the market with so much dollars hence crashing the demand for it.

So naira artificially is up because naira and dollars are in much circulation now

WTH? Nigeria is just unfortunate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
What about using this PayPal method stated above

Your LL would allow you pay rent, via PayPal....... Then takes the hit, with PayPal charges.......... cheesy

Unless you send as gift (but why would your LL want all this complications (because you want to spend your CC )......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:33pm On Nov 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
At least I deserved a welcome package smiley but tbh I thought I previously read where tax are immediately once drops in that you need to hit a target of income before it becomes taxable.

If you intend to earn below your tax free allowance....... Kuku siddon for 9ja ........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 7:59pm On Nov 12, 2022
EJIOGBENIMI:

D no
cc Luchiano54 N, tushqueen , valcorp

pls help.

Hi, Carlisle is a quite and cheap under the Cumbria County. It's the border city between England and Scotland. There isn't a lot happening in the city just like normal surburb. It's beginning to get more diverse compared to a few yrs ago. 3bed is in the range 580-800 depending on location. Schools boku but you can research on their Ofsted rating online from anywhere in the world, just check google.

There are no African stores, only Asians and a pre order arrangement by one of the residents.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 8:10pm On Nov 12, 2022
EJIOGBENIMI:

cc Luchiano54 , tushqueen , valcorp

pls help.

Carlisle is about 2hours from Manchester airport. That's closer compared to over 5hrs Heathrow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:19am On Nov 13, 2022
CowbellY:

Revolut, Wise

Thanks.
Yeah! Wise has always been on the table.
You sure Revolut pays higher ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OdogwuEkeke(m): 12:42am On Nov 13, 2022
Side Note!!!
Please borrow money with caution when leaving Nigeria ooh. Jobs are not automatic in the Uk. First few months can be hectic.

If you have not chosen a university yet and you have family in the Uk, kindly choose a school close to family to save you accommodation expenses.

If you have paid and have gotten a NO CAS email, defer instead of requesting for a refund. This puts you at the top of the list for the next session.

An hack is to arrive before resumption, this will give you the opportunity to do job trainings before lectures start. Particularly for Support worker & Security.

If you intend to work as support worker, you can finish as much online training on “Florence Academy” this will help you save time when you eventually land.

Immediately you get your Visa, you can open an account from Nigeria with a visa and a Uk number. You can get a Uk line from Nigeria, if you do not get it at TLS. Check Jiji carefully for Uk sim.

Every other info and details from others are valid respectfully. Don’t waste your money buying clothes etc.

People make money from referrals a lot. Personally I have only been able to make £12 from lemonade referral. When you get in you can share your link with as many people as you like. The people really benefiting from these are those with thousands of people on their telegram group haha.

I wish you all the best.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zimzee: 1:15am On Nov 13, 2022
Good people, I am currently on a student visa, my visa is expiring in Jan. I got a job with a care home that promised to sponsor when I finished school.
I finished school in September and informed them, they told me they applied for more COS allocation from home office as they have exhausted what they had but haven't heard back from them, one week ran into 10weeks, they feedback was still the same ....they haven't heard back from home office.

Then, I got a mail last week from the home to send in all my details so they can apply for my COS, as home office has responded that the application will be considered on case by case basis. It's been 9 days since I forwarded my details( passport number, full name, status of current visa, date of birth).

1) Please does it look like I will have COS soon?
2) Do you know how long it takes home office to issue cos?
3) Should I relax because I am really worried?
What do you guys make of this story?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:26am On Nov 13, 2022
worldazzling:
Good Evening Everyone,

I am switching from a student visa to a Skilled worker visa but my MSc certificate (uk) is not out yet.

How else can i prove my English proficiency?

Thank you very much.

If you don't wanna write IELTS, etc, then get Certification from ECCTIS by sending your Bachelor’s Certificate, Transcript and Letter from your University that you were taught in English.

I'm suspecting since you're moving from Student visa, you may not even need any proof again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:32am On Nov 13, 2022
AlphaUno:

There is ££ to be sent to US to be received in $$, anyone knows best means (app, bank etc) with a higher rate to do so?

Revolut, Wise...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:37am On Nov 13, 2022
Zimzee:
Good people, I am currently on a student visa, my visa is expiring in Jan. I got a job with a care home that promised to sponsor when I finished school.
I finished school in September and informed them, they told me they applied for more COS allocation from home office as they have exhausted what they had but haven't heard back from them, one week ran into 10weeks, they feedback was still the same ....they haven't heard back from home office.

Then, I got a mail last week from the home to send in all my details so they can apply for my COS, as home office has responded that the application will be considered on case by case basis. It's been 9 days since I forwarded my details( passport number, full name, status of current visa, date of birth).

Do you have a choice? Just wait and ask for feedback if you can.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Emmyk(m): 1:39am On Nov 13, 2022
bigtt76:
One month... Pls what's the implications if I change my contact address on my AMEX CC, Bank account, Electoral Roll and Provisional Driver's license after a month of being enrolled?

I'd to do this, after 7 months of being on the electoral register as we changed apartments. A day or two later, Experian took out about 30 points from my credit score.

I've re-enrolled at our new apartment, but it doesn't get updated on credit history that soon.

So, my credit reports across platforms now show I'm not registered on the electoral register.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 5:29am On Nov 13, 2022
Hello everyone,

I need insights from the experienced peeps on this forum.
I got a job offer from NHS to work as a Data Analyst accompanied with Tier2 /sponsorship visa. I currently work as an IT service desk technician in a private company and I must say, it’s wonderful working here (my current company). My boss put in a word for me and the company is ready to sponsor me so they intend to put in an application to the home office to be a sponsorship licensed employer so I can be sponsored. Also, I’ll move to another department to work as a Data Analyst. I really have no Idea how the NHS works but would like to hear from experienced folks. If you were in my shoes, what will you do? Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 5:43am On Nov 13, 2022
Geebee5:
Hello everyone,

I need insights from the experienced peeps on this forum.
I got a job offer from NHS to work as a Data Analyst accompanied with Tier2 /sponsorship visa. I currently work as an IT service desk technician in a private company and I must say, it’s wonderful working here (my current company). My boss put in a word for me and the company is ready to sponsor me so they intend to put in an application to the home office to be a sponsorship licensed employer so I can be sponsored. Also, I’ll move to another department to work as a Data Analyst. I really have no Idea how the NHS works but would like to hear from experienced folks. If you were in my shoes, what will you do? Thanks
NHS is a much bigger organization, there are loads of Data to analyse and it holds far more confidential information than you can ever imagine. If you are working for England you are good to go.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:42am On Nov 13, 2022
I think depending on when you re-enrolled and when your name is actually published by the electoral officer... there might be delays with the credit bureau recording it. But why did you update it that soon?

Emmyk:

I'd to do this, after 7 months of being on the electoral register as we changed apartments. A day or two later, Experian took out about 30 points from my credit score.

I've re-enrolled at our new apartment, but it doesn't get updated on credit history that soon.

So, my credit reports across platforms now show I'm not registered on the electoral register.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 7:05am On Nov 13, 2022
erico2k2:

NHS is a much bigger organization, there are loads of Data to analyse and it holds far more confidential information than you can ever imagine. If you are working for England you are good to go.

Thanks for the response. Yes, work is in Wakefield. If you don’t mind, why did you emphasise on England? I’m learning. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 8:18am On Nov 13, 2022
Hello peeps ,there a have been a lot of free IT bootcamp training spring up lately and being funded by ministry of education .Requirement is mostly about having the legal right to work and must have lived in UK for at least 3 years .
Can this be counted as a public fund
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/united-kingdom-department-for-education-pledges-up-to-4-800-000-to-fund-coding-boot-camps-with-edx-301641026.html
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:12am On Nov 13, 2022
jum33:
Hello peeps ,there a have been a lot of free IT bootcamp training spring up lately and being funded by ministry of education .Requirement is mostly about having the legal right to work and must have lived in UK for at least 3 years .
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/united-kingdom-department-for-education-pledges-up-to-4-800-000-to-fund-coding-boot-camps-with-edx-301641026.html
Looks like public funds to me.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:14am On Nov 13, 2022
One thing one will quickly find about the UK (other places though) is that often, there's element of ambiguity. I know I jokingly said recently along the line ... how do you 3xpect lawyers to make £ when it's time for ILR ...

We have established on this thread that ESFA FE fundings are not Public Funds.
However, these (IT) bootcamps falls under the DfE skills for life program. Unfortunately, there's no clarity if the skills for life fall under ESFA.
We've said, one should try and use the duckling rule and thread cautiously. Someone added (I think ma'am Ticha or Mamatukwas) along the line that if you have to apply for it specially, it might most likely be PF.
With that said though, it would appear the bootcamps might be safe. PS: don't take my words for it though. Kindly also note the subtle caveat ... Free - Funded by the Govt if you are applying as yourself and not through an employer scheme!!!
Read more from the NRPF site and skills for life site. This Wolverhampton Council site might assist. (I kinda like the way they collate NRPF)
[url]win.wolverhampton.gov.uk/kb5/wolverhampton/directory/adult.page?adultchannel=1_7_3[/url]
Kindly read collation of previous posting
semmyk:
Great. Just for completeness.
Apprenticeship funding rules for employers: Education and Skills Funding Agency ... ...

jum33:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Emmyk(m): 10:46am On Nov 13, 2022
bigtt76:
I think depending on when you re-enrolled and when your name is actually published by the electoral officer... there might be delays with the credit bureau recording it. But why did you update it that soon?

Lol. I wanted to do the right thing. cheesy

Meanwhile, our old apartment is only 3 minutes walk away from our new one. I was initially going to the old apartment, to check if there are any mails for us, but it's stressful checking every other time. So, I just kuku updated all my addresses to the new apartment.

And, oh, the points that dropped on Experian was due to the change of address I did on their platform. It took another credit report to show I was no longer on the electoral roll, which equally dropped more points on Experian and Transunion - these are the ones I check.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:39am On Nov 13, 2022
Ooh I get it now. Some one also suggested using Royal Mail redirect service to preserve old address but get mails delivered at new address, as a way around this.

Emmyk:

Lol. I wanted to do the right thing. cheesy

Meanwhile, our old apartment is only 3 minutes walk away from our new one. I was initially going to the old apartment, to check if there are any mails for us, but it's stressful checking every other time. So, I just kuku updated all my addresses to the new apartment.

And, oh, the points that dropped on Experian was due to the change of address I did on their platform. It took another credit report to show I was no longer on the electoral roll, which equally dropped more points on Experian and Transunion - these are the ones I check.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ELff: 11:59am On Nov 13, 2022
Please I have a situation... sorry this is a bit lengthy

I bought a car from a friend, he charged me the cost of the road tax included in the total cost of the car, whereas he stopped paying after I picked up the car. Recently, I decided to sell the car as cost of maintenance was getting too high, I have only driven the car for about three months, all this time I kept asking for the V5 and he kept saying he couldn't find it, like he has misplaced it.

Last month I insisted that I needed the V5 as I want to put the car out for sale, and he said he would fill a V6 form and I will get the V5 it in my post within 6 weeks.

Last week, I got back home after work and couldn't find the car so I panicked and called the police thinking it's been stolen, but I was told DVla came to clamp and impound it. I called DVLa explaining that I didn't have the Log book and that it was only recently that the registered keeper was transferred to my name, that I don't even drive the car either as I had bought another car. And the guy explained that it's my responsibility to tax the vehicle but it isn't dvla who clamped it, that it's a tax enforcement agency, so he gave me their number to call.

I called the tax enforcement agency explaining my situation, they said I have to pay £539 pounds and every day it stays with them is an extra £22, and I should also know that there are no guarantees that the car will not be scrapped by Friday this week.

I'm at a loss at what to do because honestly, there was no way I would have Taxed the car without the v5 reference number, moreso, because my friend charged me for the road tax while I was paying for it as he said he wil keep up with the payment, I didn't bother to check if he was paying or not. When I asked him why he stopped paying for the tax, he said because he transferred the registered keeper to my name, and I said it's only recently you did that, he said it didn't matter, as long as it's not Taxed and its parked on govt road as my house doesn'thave a private garage, dvla has the right to clamp it.

Please I need advise on what to do, I don't have that money to give ro those people neither do I want to loose the car.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:06pm On Nov 13, 2022
Zimzee:

My advise is; pretend you don't have an offer and keep hunting for other jobs. There are lots of other/better opportunities out there, so keep trying while waiting.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:46pm On Nov 13, 2022
ELff:
Please I have a situation... sorry this is a bit lengthy

I bought a car from a friend, he charged me the cost of the road tax included in the total cost of the car, whereas he stopped paying after I picked up the car. Recently, I decided to sell the car as cost of maintenance was getting too high, I have only driven the car for about three months, all this time I kept asking for the V5 and he kept saying he couldn't find it, like he has misplaced it.

Last month I insisted that I needed the V5 as I want to put the car out for sale, and he said he would fill a V6 form and I will get the V5 it in my post within 6 weeks.

Last week, I got back home after work and couldn't find the car so I panicked and called the police thinking it's been stolen, but I was told DVla came to clamp and impound it. I called DVLa explaining that I didn't have the Log book and that it was only recently that the registered keeper was transferred to my name, that I don't even drive the car either as I had bought another car. And the guy explained that it's my responsibility to tax the vehicle but it isn't dvla who clamped it, that it's a tax enforcement agency, so he gave me their number to call.

I called the tax enforcement agency explaining my situation, they said I have to pay £539 pounds and every day it stays with them is an extra £22, and I should also know that there are no guarantees that the car will not be scrapped by Friday this week.

I'm at a loss at what to do because honestly, there was no way I would have Taxed the car without the v5 reference number, moreso, because my friend charged me for the road tax while I was paying for it as he said he wil keep up with the payment, I didn't bother to check if he was paying or not. When I asked him why he stopped paying for the tax, he said because he transferred the registered keeper to my name, and I said it's only recently you did that, he said it didn't matter, as long as it's not Taxed and its parked on govt road as my house doesn'thave a private garage, dvla has the right to clamp it.

Please I need advise on what to do, I don't have that money to give ro those people neither do I want to loose the car.

That the problem with friendship ... you let some things slide because he was your friend and now see . Stories like this makes people just keep friends at arms length and go through neutral platforms

He stopped the tax but included tax in the price ... na wa . That wasn't nice of him . Is he ready to refund you some part to cover the tax

the tax man is in to make money so they won't let this slide. You either pay and take it as an expensive lesson learnt or don't know how you can make your friend give you some to cover this gbese

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 1:11pm On Nov 13, 2022
#RecommendedRead: https://nairametrics.com/2022/11/12/why-naira-is-gaining-at-the-black-market/

kode12:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kalakris: 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2022
Please can anyone help me?
Currently looking for Tier 2 sponsorship in Liverpool. Preferably care work. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LaXxOnebody(m): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2022
June232022:

sure we can meet on sunday at winners chapel international newcastle am always there on sunday

Sir please where's the church located?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 2:11pm On Nov 13, 2022
Geebee5:

Thanks for the response. Yes, work is in Wakefield. If you don’t mind, why did you emphasise on England? I’m learning. Thanks
cos mt coy has a contract with them and I know the minister of health
has an open cheque for NHS England in some dept, Tech and IT is one of them as well as HC workers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.