Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (754) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169177 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:39pm On Dec 07, 2022
Student visa: https://www.nairaland.com/7267459/uk-student-visa-tier-4#115439894
Newbie123:
Please can anyone confirm if indeed you get an IHS refund after working for NHS for 6 months? Student visa holder...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 9:43pm On Dec 07, 2022
Newbie123:
Please can anyone confirm if indeed you get an IHS refund after working for NHS for 6 months? Student visa holder.

Please can anyone confirm if indeed you get an IHS refund after working for NHS for 6 months? Student visa holder.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-immigration-health-surcharge-refund/healthcare-setting

You can use that link. You will need your payslips to prove you have been working for more than 16 hours weekly.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2022
koonbey:

I got mine in less than one full working day. Submitted the application on Friday past 4PM, uploaded statement on Saturday, and got the mail on Monday at 10;25 AM or so.

Standard. Switching from T4. App.
When did you apply? This month?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:47pm On Dec 07, 2022
It’s a ‘Christmas of discontent’ as public sector workers to down tools this December over pay rise in the face of mounting cost of living crisis.
From
Nurses
Ambulance services
Rail workers
Royal Mail workers
Rail Drivers to
UK Border Force
Meanwhile, the Govt isn’t ready to add ‘shishi’ to meet unions’ demands, citing further inflationary growth should it decide to do so.

And also, 2023 could be a staggered year of strikes if the Govt failed to meet workers demands. The list of workers that could be affected is endless:

ACAS
British Museum
Cabinet Office
Charity Commission
Maritime & Coastguard Agency
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Natural Resources Wales
Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service
Independent Office for Police Conduct
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)
Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS)
Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Audit Wales
Department for Education
Natural England
Competition Service
Gambling Commission
Historic England
Health & Safety Executive (HSE)
Historic Environment Scotland
Home Office
Insolvency Service
HM Land Registry
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra)
Creative Scotland
National Galleries of Scotland
National Museums of Scotland
National Audit Office
National Lottery Heritage Fund
Department for Transport
National Library of Wales
National Museums Liverpool
Gangmasters & Labour Abuse Authority
Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Ofgem
Competition & Markets Authority
Office for National Statistics & UKSA
OFWAT
Ofsted
UK Intellectual Property Office
Vehicle Certification Agency
Planning Inspectorate
National Archives
Registers of Scotland
Transport Focus
Sports Grounds Safety Authority
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Equality & Human Rights Commission
Scottish Enterprise
NatureScot
Scottish Government
Serious Fraud Office
Skills Development Scotland
The Council of the RFCAs
Sport England
Scotland’s Commission for Children & Young People
RFCA West Midlands
Scottish Courts & Tribunals Service
Legal Aid Agency
UK Research & Innovation (UKRI)
Visit Scotland
Government Legal Department
Parole Board for England & Wales
Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Wallace Collection
Senedd Cymru (Welsh Parliament)
Scottish Human Rights Commission
Scottish Prison Service
Scottish Parliament
Student Loans Company
Architecture & Design Scotland
Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
National Highways
Westminster Foundation for Democracy
Independent Living Fund Scotland
Rural Payments Agency
Defence, Science & Technology Laboratory
Electoral Commission
Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC)
Security Industry Authority
UK Space Agency
Marine Management Organisation
Youth Justice Board
Local Government Boundary Commission for England
Northern Ireland Office
Prisons & Probation Ombudsman
Wales Office
Courts and Tribunals Judiciary
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
Children’s Commissioner for England
Food Standards Scotland
Crown Estate Scotland
Risk Management Authority
Local Democracy & Boundary Commission for Wales
UK Debt Management Office
Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Social Security Scotland
Scottish Housing Regulator
Revenue Scotland
Department of International Trade
Bord na Gaidhlig
Forestry Commission England
Scottish Forestry
Leasehold Advisory Service
Forestry and Land Scotland
UKSV (Cabinet Office)
Disclosure and Barring Service
Veterinary Medicines Directorate
Institute for Apprenticeships
Office for Students (OfS)
Transport Scotland
Accountant in Bankruptcy
Disclosure Scotland
Education Scotland
Office for the Scottish Charity Regulator
Scottish Public Pensions Agency (SPPA)
National Records of Scotland
South of Scotland Enterprise
Trade Remedies Authority
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA)
Office for Health Improvement & Disparities (OHID)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:42pm On Dec 07, 2022
koonbey:

I got mine in less than one full working day. Submitted the application on Friday past 4PM, uploaded statement on Saturday, and got the mail on Monday at 10;25 AM or so.

Standard. Switching from T4. App.
Wowza cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 11:43pm On Dec 07, 2022
tblackE61:

Thank you for ur swift response ! Pls how easy and costly is it to get this taxi insurance and other papers that would allow me do it

I have no idea sorry - I expect it would be a personalised quote which could include several factors such as type of car, address/location, time driving in the UK and so on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 12:03am On Dec 08, 2022
twizzie:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-immigration-health-surcharge-refund/healthcare-setting

You can use that link. You will need your payslips to prove you have been working for more than 16 hours weekly.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iruosonobrugwhe: 12:32am On Dec 08, 2022
Phil46:
Good morning All,

I will be using Egyptair from Nigeria to the UK this month and would like to be sure on the following.

I will have 12hr 5min stop in Cairo

1. Do I need transit visa?.......No you dont. your ppt would be held until you check out of the hotel and will be returned before boarding to uk
2. Is any covid process (test, card, vaccination) required? ...No you dont. but if you have it, have it handy.
3. Is yellow fever test required? No it is not. lagos airport will wnt to fleece yu but it isnt needed. if you have 3k, dash dem and get one

Someone just told me about the covid card and I would like to be sure if that's true.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iruosonobrugwhe: 12:47am On Dec 08, 2022
japhethGold:

WHAT ARE EXEMPT INCOMES UNDER UK TAX LAWS?

Exempt incomes are non-taxable incomes that you are not required by law to let HMRC know about them, and you are not required to pay tax on them. This means that when you are filing your tax returns, you do not need to state them on your tax returns. This is legal as the law has exempted them from taxes.

I have provided a list of some of the exempt incomes below for your attention.
1. Interest income earned on your Individual Savings Account- ISAs.
2. Rent received from letting one room in a flat occupied by your family- achieved through the Rent -A-Room Scheme.
3. Interest earned from investment savings certificates offered National Savings & Investment (NS&I)- NS&I is a government department under Chancellor of Exchequer that encourages savings and investment among UK residents. The UK Government guarantees ALL investments made in NS&I products.
5. Income earned from lottery and gambling,
6. Foreign incomes made by UK residents who are not "Domiciled" in the UK. What if i sell the evil forest in my village and bring in funds, is it taxable?[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
7. Income earned from investment in UK government gilts or bonds.

The list is longer but I will stop here now. If your financial transactions are complicated and you need help with you tax planning, follow me on TikTok @japhethjev1 or chat me on whatsapp 07450278715.

Cheeers!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 2:13am On Dec 08, 2022
Viruses:

I'm sure you don't mean to demean the good work that the OP is doing right.

I can't tell if your comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.

In any case, no I was not "demeaning" the "good work" of the OP, but making a point as to why he was initially being coy and going round the houses about information that is freely available and not predicated upon access to a tax consultant.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 6:52am On Dec 08, 2022
Zahra29:

In any case, no I was not "demeaning" the "good work" of the OP, but making a point as to why he was initially being coy and going round the houses about information that is freely available and not predicated upon access to a tax consultant.

The answers to questions asked on this thread are available online. The aim of this thread is to aggregate them and make such information easily accessible.

The information required to diagnose cancer is freely available on the internet, but you sure need an oncologist to aggregate the informations and provide guided consultation.

Saying “this information is available freely online” is not needed.

Let’s encourage the man.

Cheers

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 08, 2022
Amarathripple0:

When did you apply? This month?

No. Last month.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:38am On Dec 08, 2022
The Army got ya back cheesy smiley wink cheesy
You no wan make we see 'em
semmyk:
Abeg, when is Nadhim Zahawi (CP) 'deploying' the military to help ease disruption caused by public sector strikes? I just dey ask ni o. grin
"If unions chase wage increases in line with or above inflation, ... " ... ...
AlphaUno:
It’s a ‘Christmas of discontent’ as public sector workers to down tools this December over pay rise in the face of mounting cost of living crisis.
From
Nurses
Ambulance services
Rail workers
Royal Mail workers
Rail Drivers to
UK Border Force
Meanwhile, the Govt isn’t ready to add ‘shishi’ to meet unions’ demands, citing further inflationary growth should it decide to do so.

And also, 2023 could be a staggered year of strikes if the Govt failed to meet workers demands. The list of workers that could be affected is endless:

ACAS, British Museum, Cabinet Office
Charity Commission
Maritime & Coastguard Agency
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
... ... ...
... ... ...
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA)
Office for Health Improvement & Disparities (OHID)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:15am On Dec 08, 2022
Let us indeed encourage each other; while at it, guide, assist, promote
Anyone that has work as an #advisor (or consultant even) will know that often the differentiator is in aggregate pertinent information, applying their mind and wrapping use-case.
May we all be a rallying point to each other and guide for all. A community knit together.
In-btw, some discourse on HMRC https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/ifp/40024be4-717c-ec11-b820-00155d974e5f
A pointer (out of tons) on definitive gov:
www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies
www.gov.uk/government/publications/other-taxable-income-hs325-self-assessment-helpsheet/other-taxable-income-2022-hs325
In-btw 2: YouKay mortgage interest relief is similar to some countries' (South Africa for instance). Probably Ireland as well
PS: information I provide are not financial advisory or legal advice as contemplated in law.
rayralph:
The answers to questions asked on this thread are available online. {Edit: one of} The aim of this thread is to aggregate them and make such information easily accessible.
... ...
Let’s encourage the man.
Cheers
AlphaUno:
If you don’t blow your trumpet, no one else will.
It’s necessary sometimes.
japhethGold:
Please be advised that if you are using your property as a resident for your family, ie you live in it by yourself, you can not claim mortgage interest relief.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 9:00am On Dec 08, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:03am On Dec 08, 2022
Zahra29:

So should we close down this thread because all the information we are giving here are available online for free as well...yet they have been very useful.

At least the OP didn't say he was leaking out some secrets.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:25am On Dec 08, 2022
Read this definitive YouKay page and read in-between the line of the journalistic write-up.
https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/switch-to-this-visa
Essentially, apart from 'trafficking' traffic, the whole jist is that requirement of a degree is being dropped!
IMHO, this only relates to the job skill requirement. It's not a free for all automatic students to skilled worker visa. But then, won't that be great? grin
The 'subtle' change in eligibility (that is dropping the degree requirement) is welcomed. By the way, wonder how #Suella will take it in!!!
Short response to your enquiry is 'Yes' However, the Yes is based on the clarity above. No degree eligibility
NB: technically, a degree has not been mandatory however, it is typically required! I guess this update is simply adapting to the real-life reality. In any case, expect more COS, more sponsoring companies, and unavoidably more YouTubers!
obitryce:
Please @ Justwise and all, how true is this information?
https://thestreetjournal.org/international-students-studying-in-uk-universities-now-eligible-for-skilled-worker-visa/

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:45am On Dec 08, 2022
semmyk:
The Army got ya back cheesy smiley wink cheesy
You no wan make we see the 'em

Hopefully they do, and how many diverse agencies and departments of Govt will they cover?
I guess, their presence will be better than a total vacuum
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:00am On Dec 08, 2022
Kikspie:

Thank you so much or your response, we do not intend to pay for the COS but to request for it and pay for the visa application fees and NHS or any other fees involved. We believe that their reason for saying they wouldn't be sponsoring for the role is the financial aspect, because they are a global company and are one of those that sponsor skilled workers from other countries. Another concern is why do I need to pay for NHS during PGW visa application when my company provides me with private healthcare?

Thank goodness you took the time out to straighten your position even when it was explicit from the first write up.

If I find myself in your position, I would do exactly the same - ask them again and possibly offer to foot the bill of the whole process, AFTER ENSURING THEY DON’T WANT TO FOOT THE BILL.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:44am On Dec 08, 2022
Newbie123:

Not only when you work for the bolded and also not only when you are the bolded.
If it’s you alone, good! And if you have dependants, you can do this below.

- The main applicant and his or her dependants can all get a refund that would be lodged directly into the account used in making the same payment initially.
- As long as you work in healthcare; either with care homes, Independent living, Domiciliary, NHS or whatever, you qualify.
- When applying, ensure your application (payslips) timeframe starts from March of the year under review to avoid rejection.
- If the main applicant (MA) and his dependant work in healthcare, they only need an application that will include all their details.
However, If their timeframe isn’t the same, they can decide to do it separately.

Remember me when the ££££ enter o, just a bottle of O’mara’s Salted Caramel Irish cream will do cool

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2022
AlphaUno:

Not only when you work for the bolded and also not only when you are the bolded.
If it’s you alone, good! And if you have dependants, you can do this below.

- The main applicant and his or her dependants can all get a refund that would be lodged directly into the account used in making the same payment initially.
- As long as you work in healthcare; either with care homes, Independent living, Domiciliary, NHS or whatever, you qualify.
- When applying, ensure your application (payslips) timeframe starts from March of the year under review to avoid rejection.
- If the main applicant (MA) and his dependant work in healthcare, they only need an application that will include all their details.
However, If their timeframe isn’t the same, they can decide to do it separately.

Remember me when the ££££ enter o, just a bottle of O’mara’s Salted Caramel Irish cream will do cool

What if the source where the payment was made from no longer exist. I used my payoneer card to pay and now its blocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:05am On Dec 08, 2022
obitryce:
Please @ Justwise and all, how true is this information?

https://thestreetjournal.org/international-students-studying-in-uk-universities-now-eligible-for-skilled-worker-visa/

This has always been the case but has now been given a legal backing due to labour shortage. It’s the University I pity, as their expected financials for the year(s) will be unpredictable and possibly plummet.
So, it’s true.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:12am On Dec 08, 2022
eniola1010:

What if the source where the payment was made from no longer exist. I used my payoneer card to pay and now its blocked

You get in touch with UKVI directly and state your position. Someone posted the link here some weeks back on how to use a new bank details for the refund.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 11:13am On Dec 08, 2022
AlphaUno:

You get in touch with UKVI directly and state your position. Someone posted the link here some weeks back on how to use a new bank details for the refund.

Thats nice then. I dont work for nhs. But for a support home. I want to believe that also qualifies to get the refund
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:16am On Dec 08, 2022
eniola1010:

Thats nice then. I dont work for nhs. But for a support home. I want to believe that also qualifies to get the refund

Yes, it qualifies
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2022
rayralph:

The answers to questions asked on this thread are available online. The aim of this thread is to aggregate them and make such information easily accessible.

The information required to diagnose cancer is freely available on the internet, but you sure need an oncologist to aggregate the informations and provide guided consultation.

Saying “this information is available freely online” is not needed.

Let’s encourage the man.

Cheers

I didn't set out to discourage him or anyone

But as others have pointed out, it is very important to do your own research even with the services of a consultant. Asking questions should be encouraged in the black community. Do you know how many people have ended up in negative situations because they swallowed the words of an immigration consultant for example, without checking the information?

The OP drew a lot of interest because he hinted that residential mortgage holders could claim tax relief and that the black community needed to employ the services of a consultant to be privy to this and other tax loopholes.

This was deliberately misleading and he was rightly called out/questioned by other posters and subsequently clarified his assertions (with information that is freely available)

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:42pm On Dec 08, 2022
Viruses:

So should we close down this thread because all the information we are giving here are available online for free as well...yet they have been very useful.

At least the OP didn't say he was leaking out some secrets.

Exactly - information can only be useful if it is correct.
OP was misleading with the information he initially provided. He subsequently clarified his statements, but even if he hadn't, the information is freely available to anyone with access to Google or Mr Jeeves.
What is so wrong in pointing out that people can seek out information/clarity on their own as well, in addition to receiving information online or from a consultant?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kikspie: 2:20pm On Dec 08, 2022
AlphaUno:

Thank goodness you took the time out to straighten your position even when it was explicit from the first write up.

If I find myself in your position, I would do exactly the same - ask them again and possibly offer to foot the bill of the whole process, AFTER ENSURING THEY DON’T WANT TO FOOT THE BILL.

We would try this. Thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 4:43pm On Dec 08, 2022
Zahra29:

I didn't set out to discourage him or anyone

But as others have pointed out, it is very important to do your own research even with the services of a consultant. Asking questions should be encouraged in the black community. Do you know how many people have ended up in negative situations because they swallowed the words of an immigration consultant for example, without checking the information?

The OP drew a lot of interest because he hinted that residential mortgage holders could claim tax relief and that the black community needed to employ the services of a consultant to be privy to this and other tax loopholes.

This was deliberately misleading and he was rightly called out/questioned by other posters and subsequently clarified his assertions (with information that is freely available)

Couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hopefuliam: 4:50pm On Dec 08, 2022
Dear elders,

Kindly assist with email address for ihs refund. I switched my visa from postgraduate to tier2(i am not in health care field) and its been 3months. Whenever i call i get response of we are still on it.
Please help. I ve searched a couple of pages back and cant still seem to find the email address.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by japhethGold: 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2022
MARRIAGE ALLOWANCE-MA

Are you aware that you can share your unutilized annual personal allowance of GBP12,570 with your husband or wife?
The tax law allows a partner who has got unutilized personal allowance to transfer part of it to his or her partner.

A personal allowance is unutilized if the total annual income you earn in a year while in the UK is less than the annual personal allowance. All taxpayers in the UK are entitled to annual personal allowance of GBP12,570. However, many families have a partner who may not be able to work due to the child care responsibilities they have. Or they work part time and earn sparingly, which means their annual income will be below annual personal allowance of GBP12,570.

In the above instance, the law allows the partner who could not utilize her personal allowance to transfer part of it to her/his partner. However, the maximum amount that couple could transfer to each other in a tax year is GBP1,260. You can not transfer more than this amount from your unutilized personal allowance to your spouse.

There is evidence that couple who utilize their MA could reduce their tax bill by an amount ranging between GBP365 to GBP 960 per annum. So, why not claim MA.

You could follow me on Tiktok @japhethjev1 for a short video about UK taxtips.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MJ01: 6:07pm On Dec 08, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.