Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177770 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 4:43pm On Nov 09, 2021
justwise:

[b][/b]

Had 6 and sold them before the madness started, not regretting it

I remember advising you to hold on a few months back. … I,ve held on to mine and intend to hold on for the long term.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:44pm On Nov 09, 2021
marylandcakes:

Prepare for a long wait…..you will need your tea flask and blanket grin grin

No biscuits, cookie or doughnuts........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2021
Balingz:
Good morning house. How are you all doing? My brother got an offer from a big 4 accounting firm in the UK but the role he is being offered is less than the role he is applied for due to his professional qualification. However, in Nigeria, he works for a big 4 accounting firm and should be a manager in a few months time. The naira equivalent of what he will be paid in the UK is almost same with what he currently earns in Nigeria. Is it worthwhile for him to accept the UK offer considering he has a wife and 2 children. Thanks house.

I agree with those that have advised you reject the offer.

Its best you stay back in Nigeria, attain the manager role whilst working on your ACCA.

As soon as you get the promotion, you can start reapplying. I'll suggest you strip the location of the Big 4 from your CV and just have the name of the Big 4. If asked during the interview which country you worked, then you can mention Nigeria and reference any global end client you worked with (if any). Do not be surprised that the reason why you have been offered a role lower than what you applied for (which i find rather insulting) is because you have Nigeria on your CV, even though you are working for a company that's well known around the world with offices in literally every continent.

The minimum you should accept is the same grade level you were in Nigeria and your take home pay (when converted) must be higher than your take home pay in Nigeria.

I also disagree with those who say Big 4 don't pay well. Salary negotiation skills is key with these companies and you must bring something niche/unique to the table.

Finally, don't just focus on the Big 4. Financial services is such a huge employment of labour in the UK - redirect your job search to banks (big banks, challenger banks), investment companies, insurance companies and fintechs with interest in financial services (e,g. paypal, revolut)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

African man like you will need pepper soup in the flask grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2021
dustydee:

But he already works in the company and all he is doing is essentially inter company transfer but to a lower grade and similar salary. This effectively means a pay cut if given the lower cost of living and taxes in Nigeria. I suggest he stays and get a role equivalent to what he's at now before moving.

You are right, from that salary in Nigeria he will pay school fees, area security etc..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 5:17pm On Nov 09, 2021
Thanks
beryour:
First, please understand that there is no set timing for moving into tech. Some might spend 6 moths, some will be less and some will be more. Several factors determine the transition period.

There are opportunities for Frontend guys, you might as well decide to push it up to full stack if you like but that will be you topping up your skills.

In as much as it is impossible to know ALL about the field, it is vital to have some basic knowledge and also have basic skills required to perform several tasks. Learning is continuous. You might try to develop a portfolio/GitHub profile as this will show potential employers that you have such experience or undertaken such projects.

I would say you should do all your preparations (CV/Portfolio) and begin to apply once you get in as most guys like to contact you immediately they see your CV to understand your position and also discuss more about the job. Also bear in mind that lots of employers seek 'UK' experience but this should not stop you. You might also like to do a bit of volunteering if you like.

Sample CVs can be downloaded online and then you can fine tune it or get someone to assist with that.

Good luck to you my friend.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 5:32pm On Nov 09, 2021
Balingz:
Good morning house. How are you all doing? My brother got an offer from a big 4 accounting firm in the UK but the role he is being offered is less than the role he is applied for due to his professional qualification. However, in Nigeria, he works for a big 4 accounting firm and should be a manager in a few months time. The naira equivalent of what he will be paid in the UK is almost same with what he currently earns in Nigeria. Is it worthwhile for him to accept the UK offer considering he has a wife and 2 children. Thanks house.

I worked in one of the Big 4, then a bank. I'm working in fin services now, but in neither a bank nor one of the Big 4.
If your brother's motive in moving to the UK is to gain a promotion or maintain his position, and there are no other considerations (he is not escaping Fulani herdsmen, Emefiele/Buhari, the constantly appreciating naira, etc.), then let him wait till he becomes a manager and try another job search.

Let him note that it will not be easy to make a horizontal movement career-wise from Nigeria. 90% of the time you will be offered a position below what you already hold or feel you qualify for. And 2/3 years is the standard period of time to remain on one level in a structured salary scale, as I am sure those of us who have held formal employment both here and back in Nigeria can attest, so he won't be "kept" back as one mposter mentioned.

On the other hand, once he makes that jump and has one of the Big 4 UK on his resume, it will give his resume a bigger boost than the other option. The truth is that foreigners discount our Nigerian work experience a lot; let's not to get into that here.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2021
IamE:
Our tech mummy.

I have watched so many tech videos of newbies and how they got into tech. Specially those that claim 6months was all it took them.
Honestly I don't think I have the slightest idea of what a CV for a tech dude should look like.
I am a Frontend dude. Basically HTML, CSS & small JAVA.
One thing I have come to understand from the videos I have watched is you don't have to know ALL about the field you in as there is room for growth secondly they would love to see a completed job on previous work.(I HAVE NONE) On this not I am considering hosting a responsive page for my LHASA-APSO dog.
My Wife's COS just arrived for her UK nursing job and I should be joining her in a month or 2.

1.Do I start applying from 9ja or wait till I reach then apply to areas close to her?

2. Can you help me with a sample CV.
3. What other tip would you suggest to me.
I am open to suggestions o our tech mummy
Codeindo@pm.me

Lol I’m not tech mummy o, let me call jtech (and the other real tech people) to contribute.

You can start applying from Nigeria but most times they will call you, and if your number is Nigerian they may not call. So best to wait till you get her and her a uk phone number.

Like you pointed out, you don’t have to know all. If your focus is frontend (which bit seems to be— wait, Java or JavaScript though?) practice well.

Offer people your service for free to build their website, then use that as proof of your skill (I think that’s what GitHub is for). Beef up your LinkedIn to look good and keep watching frontend vids (if you meant js) to improve your knowledge and speak the linguo convincingly.

But while searching for a dev job, do other smaller jobs. The smaller jobs will teach you the culture and help you twist your accent small. Although you don’t need these to get a dev job (cos they know devs are mostly foreigners), you def need it for growth/promotion.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You sold your LCID too early.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:12pm On Nov 09, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

So you think ....... As a true investor, I conduct recycled purchase strategies, on some positions.......

I sell my positions, start another position........ That fruit I plucked, plants another seed....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:13pm On Nov 09, 2021
marylandcakes:

African man like you will need pepper soup in the flask grin

That's one thing I don't like.......... PEPPER...... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

I am eyeing $RIOT, $PFIZER & $FORD ........ They have developed plenty fat muscles now ........ Time to point and kill...... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 9:35pm On Nov 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

So you think ....... As a true investor, I conduct recycled purchase strategies, on some positions.......

I sell my positions, start another position........ That fruit I plucked, plants another seed....... cheesy

E ku agba grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 9:37pm On Nov 09, 2021
Thank you our tech mummy.
Aphrodite007:

Lol I’m not tech mummy o, let me call jtech (and the other real tech people) to contribute.

You can start applying from Nigeria but most times they will call you, and if your number is Nigerian they may not call. So best to wait till you get her and her a uk phone number.

Like you pointed out, you don’t have to know all. If your focus is frontend (which bit seems to be— wait, Java or JavaScript though?) practice well.

Offer people your service for free to build their website, then use that as proof of your skill (I think that’s what GitHub is for). Beef up your LinkedIn to look good and keep watching frontend vids (if you meant js) to improve your knowledge and speak the linguo convincingly.

But while searching for a dev job, do other smaller jobs. The smaller jobs will teach you the culture and help you twist your accent small. Although you don’t need these to get a dev job (cos they know devs are mostly foreigners), you def need it for growth/promotion.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 9:37pm On Nov 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I am eyeing $RIOT, $PFIZER & $FORD ........ They have developed plenty fat muscles now ........ Time to point and kill...... wink

Baba you're a true investor. I want to be like you when I grow up. I think I will come to medway one of these days for stock Intel sharing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:41pm On Nov 09, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Baba you're a true investor. I want to be like you when I grow up. I think I will come to medway one of these days for stock Intel sharing.

I NEVER get emotionally attached to shares........ Once ripe, bye bye .......... grin

My strategy might be alien, but it works for me ........ grin

Every investor got their own strategy........

$ME & $AMD too are over ripe......... The market is looking very good, even ADA is having a rally ........ wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nairaland1981: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2021
Please those in UK, how is university of Bedfordshire....what is the living condition like in the area. I want to move with my family
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 12:22am On Nov 10, 2021
Balingz:
He should be able to negotiate if it’s below his expectation. Else, he should just reapply again in a year and half, after he must have spent almost a year as a manager in Nigeria. He should be able to get a manager role then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:23am On Nov 10, 2021
justwise:

[b][/b]

Not happening yet

Blood on the dancefloor........ grin

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mashaunola: 8:07am On Nov 10, 2021
Please your advise is appreciated.
@justwise and others.

I want to do my masters in the UK.
I have an Undergraduate degree from a UK university (externally) and I am also an ACCA (UK) chartered accountant. I want to apply for my masters programme in financial Technology.

Is it possible I get a better hourly rate paying job during my masters degree programme with my qualifications having been studied them in the UK.
I do have work experience in nigeria but not with a multinational company.

Your feedback will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 8:29am On Nov 10, 2021
nairaland1981:
Please those in UK, how is university of Bedfordshire....what is the living condition like in the area. I want to move with my family

I don’t know anything about the university but Bedfordshire is a lovely place to live especially if you’ve got family. Lots of lovely countryside.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HealthCas: 8:47am On Nov 10, 2021
good morning folks, please what are the prospects of a biomedical scientist in UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 9:20am On Nov 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You must have control over your greed. My greed won’t allow me to sell, especially when it’s doing so well. I start wondering what would happen if I sell and it grows more or if the new one I’ll buy will tank.

Smh
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by contra(m): 9:47am On Nov 10, 2021
Balingz:

I'm assuming this is for Audit.

Your brother need to work as a manager in Nigeria for 2 years before he can be considered for Manager in the UK.

It's traditional for big4 to downgrade your experience. Manager to AM and AM to Senior and so on. Depending on the big4 and your brother's performance and awareness, he will spend at least 2 years in position before he'll be promoted. If he's tired, he can switch to another big4 or one of the mid-tier firm - top10.

My advise
He should take the offer but with a higher salary. In london 50k, South 47k and North 40k is the range. Let him ensure he's getting the higheat level of AM if it's Deloitte or KPMG. Its better to spend 2 years here without promotion than stay in Nigeria just because they want to get manager before coming - just 1 advantage - you'll be way ahead in completing your 5years here with solid 2years UK experience in the bag. Most new managers from Nigeria struggle in audit, some are on year 3 and still no promotion to SM.

Again, you said your brother will be a manager in few months, you mean July or October next year. That's when big4 in Nigeria promote. That's at least 7 months plus 2 years before coming to UK as a manager. Is this your brother's promotion guaranteed? No!

This is the usual standard.

NB - i've advised based on the available information you provided. I can give him a more personalised advice if he sends me a message for free just this time.

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BouharryArtikou: 10:50am On Nov 10, 2021
HealthCas:
good morning folks, please what are the prospects of a biomedical scientist in UK

If by that, you mean the “Protected Title” of Biomedical Scientist, the prospects are good.
The NHS is always looking for Biomedical Scientists
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olalekank(m): 11:11am On Nov 10, 2021
Aphrodite007:

You must have control over your greed. My greed won’t allow me to sell, especially when it’s doing so well. I start wondering what would happen if I sell and it grows more or if the new one I’ll buy will tank.

Smh

Koko is to be take emotions out of it. If the target is to exit with 15% profit, then it’s best to exit at that 15% even if the price is shooting up. There’s the option to rebuy at another time lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beryour(m): 11:11am On Nov 10, 2021
Based on the fact that you are coming in as a student, you will still be tied on to the 20 hours per week ability to work.

So you will earn within the range available for temporary/bank jobs.

Your qualification/education is a good one but will not matter a lot as you are still under the study visa, you might try to get a job with sponsorship while you are in but there is absolutely no guarantee on that.

Good luck

Mashaunola:
Please your advise is appreciated.
@justwise and others.

I want to do my masters in the UK.
I have an Undergraduate degree from a UK university (externally) and I am also an ACCA (UK) chartered accountant. I want to apply for my masters programme in financial Technology.

Is it possible I get a better hourly rate paying job during my masters degree programme with my qualifications having been studied them in the UK.
I do have work experience in nigeria but not with a multinational company.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jestee(f): 12:19pm On Nov 10, 2021
Good afternoon Distinguished,

Please anyone here living in Manchester, Oldham to be precised?
I need help with renting a property from Nigeria as all the agents I've contacted said they is no online viewing available.

Or can someone please advice on how i can go about securing an accommodation from Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nairaland1981: 1:03pm On Nov 10, 2021
marylandcakes:

I don’t know anything about the university but Bedfordshire is a lovely place to live especially if you’ve got family. Lots of lovely countryside.

Thanks for the response
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donogaga(m): 1:07pm On Nov 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Nothing like immediately o ......... cheesy

Let's assume you get a legal job today, before you start, expect at least 5/6 weeks waiting period.........

Get your spouse to give you pocket money nah, abi you don promise people back home, to send Camry within 40 days............ cheesy grin

Hilarious....

Camry within 40 days indeed....

The guy body dey hot, just leave am.... That's the hustling spirit we have as Nigerians. No time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:47pm On Nov 10, 2021
OSCARTM:

I will suggest you state the insight you need here for others to learn from my responses, we might also get more contributions from other experienced folks here.

Ease of getting the jobs / availability
How one can position oneself for a Big 4 job
How one can learn more or get certified in those ISO courses (i have not been able to see much online)

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.