Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,632 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169472 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Nothing like immediately o ......... cheesy

Let's assume you get a legal job today, before you start, expect at least 5/6 weeks waiting period.........

Get your spouse to give you pocket money nah, abi you don promise people back home, to send Camry within 40 days............ cheesy grin

Is this for dependents?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 2:05pm On Nov 10, 2021
hustla:

Is this for dependents?

almost everybody really, references, NI, DBS check. all depends on the time of role sha

some agency job could be 2-3 weeks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:20pm On Nov 10, 2021
DisGuy:

almost everybody really, references, NI, DBS check. all depends on the time of role sha

some agency job could be 2-3 weeks

Even warehouse, regular type jobs?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2021
hustla:

Even warehouse, regular type jobs?

Yup 2-3 weeks in most cases
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:27pm On Nov 10, 2021
DisGuy:

Yup 2-3 weeks in most cases

ok thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by captainhoo: 3:53pm On Nov 10, 2021
Balingz:
Good morning house. How are you all doing? My brother got an offer from a big 4 accounting firm in the UK but the role he is being offered is less than the role he is applied for due to his professional qualification. However, in Nigeria, he works for a big 4 accounting firm and should be a manager in a few months time. The naira equivalent of what he will be paid in the UK is almost same with what he currently earns in Nigeria. Is it worthwhile for him to accept the UK offer considering he has a wife and 2 children. Thanks house.
If the salary is THE ONLY REASON he wants to move to the UK, he is better off staying back in 9ja.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaffy055: 6:27pm On Nov 10, 2021
Good day to all the gurus on this platform. I got an admission to one of the uk school and will be migrating with my family by January when my school resumes,but I need advice on this:

(1) my daughter will be 11yrs by January ,she is presently in grade 6 and will be writing her grade 6 exam to enter checkpoint 1, by April next year .in which by then, I would have left. I want to know if it is possible for her to get admitted to the same grade 6, when we get to uk in January?because by then ,she will be left with just 1 term for her to graduate from grade 6,or should I rather leave her behind to finish her exam before she joins us. My boy too which is also 7, will be going to grade 2 by January. I hope they wount have to wait till September before they get admitted ?

(2) with a family of 5 , boy 7yrs, girl 11yrs and the othe 1yr 3month ., my husband and I . Will 2bedroom be sufficient for us or it as to be 3bedroom.?
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
kaffy055:
Good day to all the gurus on this platform. I got an admission to one of the uk school and will be migrating with my family by January when my school resumes,but I need advice on this:

(1) my daughter will be 11yrs by January ,she is presently in grade 6 and will be writing her grade 6 exam to enter checkpoint 1, by April next year .in which by then, I would have left. I want to know if it is possible for her to get admitted to the same grade 6, when we get to uk in January?because by then ,she will be left with just 1 term for her to graduate from grade 6,or should I rather leave her behind to finish her exam before she joins us. My boy too which is also 7, will be going to grade 2 by January. I hope they wount have to wait till September before they get admitted ?

(2) with a family of 5 , boy 7yrs, girl 11yrs and the othe 1yr 3month ., my husband and I . Will 2bedroom be sufficient for us or it as to be 3bedroom.?
Thank you
I assume you are coming from the US so if you give an indication of the equivalent class in Nigeria people will understand better. In England classes are allocated based on age of the child so for example, the 7 year old (If he was born before September) will be in Year 3.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2021
dustydee:

But he already works in the company and all he is doing is essentially inter company transfer but to a lower grade and similar salary. This effectively means a pay cut if given the lower cost of living and taxes in Nigeria. I suggest he stays and get a role equivalent to what he's at now before moving.

It might be a pay cut but he also won't be paying for education (if he has children) and healthcare. I would suggest he should negotiate the salary or negotiate his moving costs - flights, accommodation for 3/6 months, transport cost covered for 3/ 6 months (a train pass etc)

He needs a detailed pros and cons list!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2021
When the naira devalues more, he will get a pay cut unless he is paid in £ or $

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2021
donogaga:

Hilarious....

Camry within 40 days indeed....

The guy body dey hot, just leave am.... That's the hustling spirit we have as Nigerians. No time.

You know say the kin pressure wey go dey hin head.... Go be like to finish all 9ja wàhálà within 45 days........

Forgetting say....... Wàhálà no dey ever finish........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donogaga(m): 9:29pm On Nov 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You know say the kin pressure wey go dey hin head.... Go be like to finish all 9ja wàhálà within 45 days........

Forgetting say....... Wàhálà no dey ever finish........ grin

Wahala no dey finish my brother....

Especially family wahala. LoL.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stereotypes: 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
Lexusgs430, wonlasewonimi,justwise,Claremont

When you're buying stock,how many units do you usually get?What's the usual minimum or do you just throw in any amount?
Everywhere is red now so I'm just wondering how others do it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:38pm On Nov 10, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaffy055: 9:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
dustydee:

I assume you are coming from the US so if you give an indication of the equivalent class in Nigeria people will understand better. In England classes are allocated based on age of the child so for example, the 7 year old (If he was born before September) will be in Year 3.

Thanks for your reply the grade 6 means primary 6, while the grade 2 is primary 2. They use a British curriculum which is a cambridge system in their school . So they refer to it as grade. Instead of the jss1 they call it check point 1(grade 7).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
Stereotypes:

When you're buying stock,how many units do you usually get?What's the usual minimum or do you just throw in any amount?

It depends on how liquid I am + source of signal........

Red is the time to buy ......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
Stereotypes:

No, it isn't red. At the moment, I'm looking at dividend yield. The water companies are giving a good yield for now, and I would be looking at investing in them. £1000/year dividend from a £20,000 investment is a healthy yield, much better than the banks. It's safer and relatively risk-free as well. Do some research on SVT, UU etc.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 11:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
Please house, is it a must that all family members must be present for BRP collection or my wife and I can go along with the passports for the kids to pick them up?
A quick response will be appreciated thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:47am On Nov 11, 2021
kaffy055:

Thank you

What class your kids are in Nigeria or any other country will be irrelevant here.... class in the UK is based on age and its followed to the dot. They all be put in the class that their age is meant to be. There an online calculator were you can put the date of birth and it would show you the class ( laziness to find it so check google)

2. Because the kids are different sex with one older than 10yrs then its most likely at least 3 bed needed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by saintkay107(m): 8:38am On Nov 11, 2021
Good morning to everyone in the group, I'm Kolawole and I'm currently rounding up my MBA program. I've been looking for a placement company for January 2022 start for over five months now but my search has been unsuccessful so far as most placement is for the summer of 2022 and undergraduates. I've put over 100 applications in the last five months. Please if anyone can help me secure either paid or unpaid placement I will most appropriate because I don't want my VISA to be curtailed. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:15am On Nov 11, 2021
kaffy055:

Thanks for your reply the grade 6 means primary 6, while the grade 2 is primary 2. They use a British curriculum which is a cambridge system in their school . So they refer to it as grade. Instead of the jss1 they call it check point 1(grade 7).

Nigeria sha. .... they can over do things.

In a bid to collect money from parents by forming posh, is this why the school is calling grade and check point. When we all know the nija English is primary 6 and Js1 .

Now only one school is using British curriculum yet UK it called Year 1 to 6, while America use the word grade. .... they can't even be consistent in their approach to copy copy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:23am On Nov 11, 2021
Hehehe!! I can't stop laffing. grin
LagosismyHome:

In a bid to collect money from parents by forming posh, is this why the school is calling grade and check point. When we all know the nija English is primary 6 and Js1 .

Now only one school is using British curriculum yet UK it called Year 1 to 6, while America use the word grade. .... they can't even be consistent in their approach to copy copy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 10:25am On Nov 11, 2021
LagosismyHome:

its called packaging.

Las las we all meet for LinkedIn and nairaland as motivational speakers

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:30am On Nov 11, 2021
LagosismyHome:

I couldn't respond because I didn't know where to start from. Anything to collect money from unsuspecting parents. I have not heard any school in the UK using "grade" for year groups before.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaffy055: 10:49am On Nov 11, 2021
LagosismyHome:

What class your kids are in Nigeria or any other country will be irrelevant here.... class in the UK is based on age and its followed to the dot. They all be put in the class that their age is meant to be. There an online calculator were you can put the date of birth and it would show you the class ( laziness to find it so check google)

2. Because the kids are different sex with one older than 10yrs then its most likely at least 3 bed needed

Thank you so much for the reply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:59am On Nov 11, 2021
If you are coming to England, the 7 year old will be in year 3 in September after clocking 7, 11 year old will be in year 7 ( 1st year in high school). Your last child can't start school until he/she is 4 year old. The governmentwill give you 15hrs free nursery once your baby is 3 year old though.

Regarding timing, it is usually better to enrol them in September when the session starts. However, you can still bring them in January. You might not be able to get them into your desired school due to oversubscription. I will advise you start looking at schools now and plan where you will live based on that.

kaffy055:

Thank you so much for the reply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:09am On Nov 11, 2021
Anyone investing in $RIVN ?...... tongue

Or holding fire awaiting a proper correction...... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stereotypes: 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2021
Lexusgs430:
Anyone investing in $RIVN ?...... tongue

Or holding fire awaiting a proper correction...... wink
Saw on etoro. I'm waiting for you seniors to lead the way please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2021
Stereotypes:

Saw on etoro. I'm waiting for you seniors to lead the way please

I am holding fire for a correction ....... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stereotypes: 2:12pm On Nov 11, 2021
claremont:

No, it isn't red. At the moment, I'm looking at dividend yield. The water companies are giving a good yield for now, and I would be looking at investing in them. £1000/year dividend from a £20,000 investment is a healthy yield, much better than the banks. It's safer and relatively risk-free as well. Do some research on SVT, UU etc.

Thanks Oga. My side is red one, PayPal, square, pltr, globe all down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:15pm On Nov 11, 2021
Stereotypes:

Thanks Oga. My side is red one, PayPal, square, pltr, globe all down.

Portfolio diversification is very Important.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 2:40pm On Nov 11, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I am holding fire for a correction ....... wink

$100 haba. This one na the Ajetumobis in disguise

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: bns4eva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.