Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (781) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1172772 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by topellycategory: 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2022
Thank you very much Ma'am. I do appreciate your effort for taking out time to explain more better in a lay man terms.
This is more understandable now. Thank you �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 2:52pm On Dec 28, 2022
Viruses:
Does anyone have any reviews on Renault (Kadjar) cars? I find them really affordable so trying to look for the downside.

Good ride with good looks esp for the S- Nav. Very spacious. Gather its being replaced

Some of the 2016/2017 model that is ULEZ compliant and you only pay £20 as road tax. Fuel efficiency of this is crazy good for this model and difficult to beat for a diesel SUV. Not the fastest off the mark but had more than enough speed for most things. Worth being sure android auto works with the infotainment system.

I gather it's been discontinued but earlier models used same engine with Nissan Qashqai which is a best seller. All said, if getting one, chk the MOT and service history and worth going for one with a low mileage (under 30k preferably)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
Those asking about BRP, i have a family that attended Biometrics appointment on 20th to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2, they got successful feedback next day, 21st, and got their new BRP 1 week later, 28th. Sure they would have gotten the BRP faster if not for the numerous Holidays in-between.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
Progressivegee:
Update!

Hello guys, thanks for your responses and concerns. I replied my employer and stated some of the incidents of ill treatment, bullying and threats I received while working for them. I also told them to go ahead and report me to home office. After a couple of days, they mailed me to return my uniform and other company items in my possession. They also called to ask if I was still in the town or I had left the country. Lol. I laughed in my mind. My successful visa application mail was sent to me already. I took the items to them today. The MD came out in person to receive the items and went back in immediately. As I turned to leave, I said in my mind "good riddance".

I will be resuming work at my new place of work (a care home, no longer domiciliary care) in a couple of days.

Thanks to everyone once again for your suggestions and advice.

Congrats on finally sorting it out.
Can I send a PM? Want to clarify a few things.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 3:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
fatima04:
ILR update

5years don waka, we still dey Carry go oo grin grin....... Time really does fly.

Congrats... most can't wait.

In a few years, most reg contributors members of the thread would be passport holders and convos will change

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions!

NevaUgivup:
You can try any of the following with family:
- go to the winter wonderland at Hyde Park
- book/take a tour of London Christmas lights
- book/take a city tour
- go window shopping at Westfield shopping center at Stratford (and have lunch/dinner) at their food court, take a short walk from there to West Ham home stadium.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
Solumtoya:
Those asking about BRP, i have a family that attended Biometrics appointment on 20th to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2, they got successful feedback next day, 21st, and got their new BRP 1 week later, 28th. Sure they would have gotten the BRP faster if not for the numerous Holidays in-between.

The same thing happened to us (Tier 2 extension). 24 hours approval. BRP in 1 week. I guess the Covid lag is over. The efficiency was mind blowing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2022
Mamatukwas:

The same thing happened to us (Tier 2 extension). 24 hours approval. BRP in 1 week. I guess the Covid lag is over. The efficiency was mind blowing.
Same news everywhere now. People doing priority are even regretting it because they respond same day or next day with decision now. I did standard T2 renewal last month and got response within a week and half. BRP came a week after even before their email saying it’s been dispatched wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
jedisco:

Good ride with good looks esp for the S- Nav. Very spacious. Gather its being replaced

Some of the 2016/2017 model that is ULEZ compliant and you only pay £20 as road tax. Fuel efficiency of this is crazy good for this model and difficult to beat for a diesel SUV. Not the fastest off the mark but had more than enough speed for most things. Worth being sure android auto works with the infotainment system.

I gather it's been discontinued but earlier models used same engine with Nissan Qashqai which is a best seller. All said, if getting one, chk the MOT and service history and worth going for one with a low mileage (under 30k preferably)
Interesting.

Thank you very much.

I was beginning to consider Lexus 450h 2010 but maybe I'll stick with this as I don't really like hybrids. I like fuel only or electric only.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2022
jedisco:

Congrats... most can't wait.

In a few years, most reg contributors members of the thread would be passport holders and convos will change
Yes o...I'm hoping that mortgage conversation will top the list of discussion as many people will be able to get at that time smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamAfrik(m): 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
tushqueen:
https://join.monzo.com/c/kj205rr
Monzo declined to register me online for an account. Maybe questions were not properly answered.
Anyway I'll wait till my physical registration at school, so I can make informed enquiry.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
Viruses:

Interesting.

Thank you very much.

I was beginning to consider Lexus 450h 2010 but maybe I'll stick with this as I don't really like hybrids. I like fuel only or electric only.

The Kadjar is also competitively priced.

All said, if one can afford it, I'd prefer to limit my search to 5yrs post production + low mileage for peace of mind. If going for older vehicles, I'd go for something small and cheap with easy maintenance.
What I'm not keen on is big older vehicles. The fear of 'parts and labour' when a car breaks down can be annoying.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mallamkettle: 6:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ConnectMee: 7:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
Change them in 9ja.

JaySterling:
Guys please advise me! This is urgent

I am coming to the UK in a few weeks

I have some dollars in cash. Please can I change them to pounds in the UK, or I should just change them here in Nigeria before I travel ?

Please which one would be better for me in terms of rate ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Madeu(m): 8:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
JaySterling:
Guys please advise me! This is urgent

I am coming to the UK in a few weeks

I have some dollars in cash. Please can I change them to pounds in the UK, or I should just change them here in Nigeria before I travel ?

Please which one would be better for me in terms of rate ?

With your UK visa and Lebara sim, open a Revolut account. Revolut gives the option to activate your Virtual debit card. With that; you can add it to your google pay and transact online and NFC.
Convert your FX to Naira and buy USDT from your naira account . With your USDT; sell it into your Revolut account. Cash transaction is uncommon in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Please someone posted link to see employers that offer COS for both medical and non medical on uk gov website. But i cant find it in the thread again. Please if you are that person. Kindly repost the links.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
eniola1010:
Please someone posted link to see employers that offer COS for both medical and non medical on uk gov website. But i cant find it in the thread again. Please if you are that person. Kindly repost the links.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1126847/2022-12-28_-_Worker_and_Temporary_Worker.csv/preview

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 9:34pm On Dec 28, 2022
Anyone changed employer on tier 2 visa before?

I want to find out some information. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:38pm On Dec 28, 2022
I'll try and break it down.

1. Withdraw dollar from your USD account in Nigeria.

2. Enter a bureau de change (Aboki) shop. Tell him you want to change Dollar to Naira. You should check online to be sure of the current exchange rate, so you can get a fair rate.

3. Aboki will pay the equivalent Naira of the Dollar you're giving him to your Nigerian Naira account. Confirm the payment on your mobile app before you leave Aboki. shocked

4. Let the money be resting in your Nigerian Naira account then carry your bag dey come UK.

5. When you reach UK, open a Lemonade account. They'll give you a Pound and Naira account for free on the Lemonade app.

6. Now transfer the resting Naira from your Nigerian account to the new Lemonade Naira account.

7. On Lemonade app, there's an option to convert that Naira you've just transferred to Pound.

Now you've converted your Naira to Pounds.

It sounds like a long process, but it easy.

topellycategory:

But did he have to open lemonade account when he arrived in Britain or open it while in Nigeria ?

How do you convert naira on Lemonade app because I have a Lemonade account here in the Uk , A friend is coming over with some Naira in his account hoping to transfer it into my account when he arrives.

I'm yet to figure out how the conversion/ transfer thing is going to work .

Please can someone break it down into pieces how it works because I have never done this sort of transaction before. Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:42pm On Dec 28, 2022
Any particular concerns for hybrids?

Viruses:

Interesting.

Thank you very much.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:09pm On Dec 28, 2022
lightnlife:
Any particular concerns for hybrids?

More expensive to maintain than fuel alone or full electric.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 11:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Tier4Dependant:
Anyone changed employer on tier 2 visa before?

I want to find out some information. Thanks

You can ask here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 12:42am On Dec 29, 2022
Madeu:

With your UK visa and Lebara sim, open a Revolut account. Revolut gives the option to activate your Virtual debit card. With that; you can add it to your google pay and transact online and NFC.
Convert your FX to Naira and buy USDT from your naira account . With your USDT; sell it into your Revolut account. Cash transaction is uncommon in the UK.

Buy usdt where ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 12:47am On Dec 29, 2022
DoubleN:
Morning All,

Please can anyone advise fun places to visit or do in London this period with family?

Thanks.

If you are into Theatre go and see the Bob Marley 'Get up Stand Up' show in Central London.
Other good shows include the Lion King, Matilda, (good for kids) or Tina Turner

Visit Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park...amazing. Lots of rides, food, ice-skating etc

The O2 at Greenwich for discounted shopping, trampoline centre, cinema, lots of places to eat, bowling and other entertainment including climbing the roof of the o2.

Depending on where you are, visit Westfield in Shepherd's Bush (west London) or Stratford (east london), plenty of shops in both and places rto eat plus cinema and other entertainment. West London is the more classier Westfield sha

Other notable large shopping centres just outside London are Bluewater in Kent or Lakeside in Essex.

Visit museums -National Art Gallery at Trafalgar Square, National History Museum, Museum of London, London Transport Museum etc

Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros Studios

Legoland- just outside London, in Windsor

Sealife -London Aquarium

The London Dungeon

The Tower of London

Madame Tussards- Baker Street, London

The Cutty Sark in Greenwich

There are lots to do so can't list all here. It depends of what you are in to, how much you want to spend and how long you are here for. Check out https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do

17 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by topellycategory: 1:22am On Dec 29, 2022
lightnlife:
I'll try and break it down.

1. Withdraw dollar from your USD account in Nigeria.

2. Enter a bureau de change (Aboki) shop. Tell him you want to change Dollar to Naira. You should check online to be sure of the current exchange rate, so you can get a fair rate.

3. Aboki will pay the equivalent Naira of the Dollar you're giving him to your Nigerian Naira account. Confirm the payment on your mobile app before you leave Aboki. shocked

4. Let the money be resting in your Nigerian Naira account then carry your bag dey come UK.

5. When you reach UK, open a Lemonade account. They'll give you a Pound and Naira account for free on the Lemonade app.

6. Now transfer the resting Naira from your Nigerian account to the new Lemonade Naira account.

7. On Lemonade app, there's an option to convert that Naira you've just transferred to Pound.

Now you've converted your Naira to Pounds.

It sounds like a long process, but it easy.

Thank you I do appreciate your help.

Sorry I was stuck at the process on Lemonade App when I wanted to Add funds it redirected me to a Paga bank account with my details and an account number together with it.
Is it how it works that I have to Add fund through the Paga bank ?

Sorry for being a pain I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing .
Thank you �
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 1:29am On Dec 29, 2022
tshoboy:

Same news everywhere now. People doing priority are even regretting it because they respond same day or next day with decision now. I did standard T2 renewal last month and got response within a week and half. BRP came a week after even before their email saying it’s been dispatched wink

Share update on how to change our visa ooo
Make he reach us in time too
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 1:32am On Dec 29, 2022
topellycategory:

Thank you I do appreciate your help.

Sorry I was stuck at the process on Lemonade App when I wanted to Add funds it redirected me to a Paga bank account with my details and an account number together with it.
Is it how it works that I have to Add fund through the Paga bank ?

Sorry for being a pain I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing .
Thank you �

Send the equivalent to the paga account and get credited within 10mins. I sell pounds too though my rate 7naira lower to lemonade rate.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Madeu(m): 1:40am On Dec 29, 2022
Thegamingorca:

Buy usdt where ?
Binance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ojtopsy: 2:25am On Dec 29, 2022
Good morning House . Can someone please help me out about cost of rent and availability of 2 bedroom apartment or stand alone houses and also short let spare rooms that can be used temporarily while looking for the main one.

ojtopsy:
Good afternoon house . please I need a clue on how to get a house temporarily in Derby in January before am able to look for a house for my family that will come around February I'm still in Naija .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:17am On Dec 29, 2022
ojtopsy:

Good morning House . Can someone please help me out about cost of rent and availability of 2 bedroom apartment or stand alone houses and also short let spare rooms that can be used temporarily while looking for the main one.

Rightmove.co.uk
Zoopla.co.uk
Spareroom.co.uk

Set the filters appropriately (set up alerts too) and you are good to go

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ojtopsy: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2022
Thanks for the info. God bless you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.