Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (783) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183242 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:14am On Dec 30, 2022
babajeje123:
Hello people, can teachers in the UK on this platform kindly share their experience in the UK classrooms. There're loads of write ups and videos out there portraying teaching in the UK as working in hell because of some students' unruly behaviours, and consequently making some Nigerians who wanted to wanted to explore the teaching route that will be opened in February to rescind on their decision. Your views will be highly appreciated.

Did you see the thread on Twitter about it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 11:22am On Dec 30, 2022
hustla:

link pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 11:53am On Dec 30, 2022
hustla:

yes however I don't want to believe it's as bad as that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tblackE61(m): 11:54am On Dec 30, 2022
mimilyrics:
Check https://www.rightmove.co.uk/
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/
https://www.openrent.co.uk/ Be careful on this so you won't get scammed.
https://www.foxtons.co.uk/
Re getting a job, there are other jobs outside menial and care jobs but it can sometimes take a while to get the kind of jobs that you desire but if making money is an immediate concern, try applying to a mix of jobs. Many people apply to care and/or menial jobs as a springboard to
getting something better.
Use Linkedin, healthjobsUK.com, reed, cv library, google etc. to keep checking for something. You can also volunteer with organisations eg. NHS, charities, your local council etc. to gain experience in the areas of your dream roles.

Thank you very much for your swift response! I think I need to up my budget , cos I have all this apps on my phone and houses and seeing der are just on the high side!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by procartier(m): 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2022
Hi, I do not understand all the English here but I am very familiar with usdt..can u re explain again but in simpler terms
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by procartier(m): 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2022
Specifically, how do I buy usdt with my naira account? Or sell
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 12:59pm On Dec 30, 2022
dustydee:
Please does anyone know where I can swap naira for pounds or the new naira notes?

Peckham
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2022
harrrry:
Abeg who don use BA of recent? I don reduce load tire . Now na 24.87kg, them fit accept?

23kg
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2022
tblackE61:
Good morning guys! Pls guys I need ur advise on this ! I just got in dec 25th, my wife sch is in central london , We have been looking for accommodation with 700/800p for 1bed flat but we not getting ! We only getting a one bed share apartment for this price and the landlord does not want to give us the apartment cos we have a baby! Pls advise on where we can get a bed flat at least it should be 1 hour close to London.
Another thing is the issue of job! Pls guys aside this menial and care jobs! Are der no other jobs one can do with my naija bsc certificate and vast experience in oil and gas ! Biko make una help a brother ooo
up your budget… 1k,1100.. do your cv and go on linkedn.. you just might be lucky as my friends in oil and gas have been
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2022
babajeje123:
yes however I don't want to believe it's as bad as that.

Maybe not but I don't think it will be that bad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dappy25: 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2022
Hello �, please I need a referral link to apply for AMEX credit card.

My wife and I have been in the UK for 4 months and want to start building our credit. We have already registered to be on the Electoral voters list.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:08pm On Dec 30, 2022
harrrry:
Abeg who don use BA of recent? I don reduce load tire . Now na 24.87kg, them fit accept?
I don't know about BA, but for Virgin, once you are below 24, you are good. I always aim for 23.8 ish..
Also they hardly ever check the hand luggage weight...so if you are up for a little stress, transfer some small but heavy items to your hand luggage.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2022
Dappy25:

My wife and I have been in the UK for 4 months and want to start building our credit. We have already registered to be on the Electoral voters list.

Thanks.
Here you go (use responsibly);

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/uGONNObR1h?XL=MNANS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Wisdom7400(m): 4:37pm On Dec 30, 2022
Pls I have a question. My wife has gotten her skilled worker visa and I want to join her before the kids. In the application, I saw where a question was asked about my minors that are financially depending on me. If I apply without my kids, will it hurt my application? I want to join my wife now and then apply for my kids later. (4 and 6 years old). I would return in 4 months or so to pick them. Did anyone go through this? What advice will you give on this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babino22: 4:45pm On Dec 30, 2022
harrrry:

I used BA just on Mon 26th to Manchester , I am still looking for a whole bag. It got missing. It’s crazy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:06pm On Dec 30, 2022
Plaitex:
Good evening House. I got to the UK 3 weeks ago, Sheffield precisely and haven't had any luck with job searches. Got only one interview which wasn't successful. The others do not respond or feedback.
Please what can I do? Am I missing a link? I apply from Total, indeed, Reed and LinkedIn.

3 weeks is not a very long time to search..just keep at it and have a target of 2 to 3 months. Make sure you are refining/tweaking your CV constantly (like every couple of days...I had my cv open in one tab on my laptop and sometimes I would change just one word or rephrase an entire line) to reflect the sort of phrasing that is more in tune with the UK and more importantly the skills that you have which are being sought. Reading the JDs of the roles you re applying for will help you in this regard.
It is a good sign you got an interview invite, so probably means your CV isn't too bad, but I bet it can be even better if you take it on as a focal area to work on.

Also for any others out there, DON'T wait until you are in the UK before applying for jobs. People get jobs before landing, people also get sponsored jobs right from Nigeria.
Job searching is a job in itself and can be depressing sometimes, so the earlier one starts, the earlier you can take your Ls cheesy and improve and the faster to nail a good job down.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2022
babino22:

I used BA just on Mon 26th to Manchester , I am still looking for a whole bag. It got missing. It’s crazy
Wow, sorry about that.
You should get compensated for it though the compensation is unlikely to match up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2022
Wisdom7400:
Pls I have a question. My wife has gotten her skilled worker visa and I want to join her before the kids. In the application, I saw where a question was asked about my minors that are financially depending on me. If I apply without my kids, will it hurt my application? I want to join my wife now and then apply for my kids later. (4 and 6 years old). I would return in 4 months or so to pick them. Did anyone go through this? What advice will you give on this?
It won't hurt your application, but you need to still mention them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:50pm On Dec 30, 2022
Dappy25:

Thanks.
Here you go. You get 6000 Avios if approved and you meet the requirement.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdGwbr6?XLINK=MYCP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 6:00pm On Dec 30, 2022
marylandcakes:

Peckham
Thanks, any address?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dappy25: 6:02pm On Dec 30, 2022
Thanks. Sure I'll use it responsibly, I hate debt smiley
mizGene:

Here you go (use responsibly);

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/uGONNObR1h?XL=MNANS

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inkredible(m): 7:37pm On Dec 30, 2022
fatima04:
@inkredible the paid version of this link is very useful and all you need

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.lifeintheuktest

For more practise test use the free version of link below (more annoyingly difficult framed question and answer bank but does the job � grin)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblingiso.LifeintheUKTest

Good luck.

Thank you very much dear. Valuable resource right here.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inkredible(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2022
Preshyi:
Hi Guys,
Please what's the best way to negotiate for a pay above the advertised rate when offered a job? Can this lead to withdrawal of the offer? Please note that pay was not discussed during the interview. Will appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

I always hedge pay rate with market rates for the position and what other employers are ready to offer as well.

I’d say to hold off till they make their offer known (any company that presents an offer wants you and will adjust their offer to meet yours) then chess move with “I’m in talks with so and so company and they’re offering this x amount. However, I will love to work with your company and if you can match or offer something closer; I’d end further interviews and sign up with you today.

The key is not to say the amount you want but make them tell you first then play the field. The person to say the amount first loses their advantage.

Hope this helps. All the best!

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2022
JanegirlN:
Compliments of the season everyone. So I passed my driving test yesterday with 3 minors. I remember when I came here to complain some months back about my instructor (whom I did change) and driving in general.lol.
I had never driven before, had between 35- 40 hours and passed first time. I'm not a motivational speaker or anything but if I can drive and pass the test, Anybody can! My family still can't believe I passed. They couldn't even believe I was learning cos I can fear for Africa.

congrats. pls did u use automatic or Manuel. I am using Manuel and I am finding it difficult to change gears and turn. I am getting tired now of learning how to turn.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 10:53pm On Dec 30, 2022
Thanks boss, I have shared it with her
semmyk:
There was robust discussion on NRPF around housing sometimes back in 3rd week of July (page +/-529). I posted a collation around mid Nov (although with focus on FE and bootcamps).
There's a body/network, NGO I think, focused on NRPF: search for them. [Update: they are nrpfnetwork.org.uk]

In-btw, I find the Wolverhampton Council site collation on NRPF well structured.
https://win.wolverhampton.gov.uk/kb5/wolverhampton/directory/adult.page?adultchannel=1_7_1

By the way, even Disability living allowance is classified as public fund.
www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/information-and-resources/rights-and-entitlements/benefits-and-housing-public-funds/benefits/benefits-that-are-public-funds

She might get away with it!!! But then, to everyone, their own ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2022
Thanks for this, shared with her
Amarathripple0:

The only public fund available to non-uk citizens is this - https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-2-year-olds . Even at that, it’s for certain earners and not for everyone. Perhaps, you could read out the policy on council flats and public funds to her from legitimate websites so she doesn’t base it alone on hearsay but on facts.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2022
Ifih, grin
Lexusgs430:

That would be discrimination, against people without disabilities........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ttummee: 11:08pm On Dec 30, 2022
Please i need a clarification

when you using naira card to pay on an airline site that charges in dollar, would i be charged at the official rate or at black market rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2022
ttummee:
Please i need a clarification

when you using naira card to pay on an airline site that charges in dollar, would i be charged at the official rate or at black market rate?
Black market rate.

But you cannot pay with your naira card again.
You may have to look for someone abroad or someone that has a dollar/pounds card to help you pay. Alternatively open a dom account and get a card to pay with.

Virtual dollar card is another alternative.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 2:20am On Dec 31, 2022
Ogbaba123:

You can get laptop as cheap as you want. Problem is age and condition (it may not be guaranteed)
Ps: I have a brand new laptop for sale here in the Uk if you’re interested

Hello where are you based?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 4:52am On Dec 31, 2022
babajeje123:
Hello people, can teachers in the UK on this platform kindly share their experience in the UK classrooms. There're loads of write ups and videos out there portraying teaching in the UK as working in hell because of some students' unruly behaviours, and consequently making some Nigerians who wanted to wanted to explore the teaching route that will be opened in February to rescind on their decision. Your views will be highly appreciated.

I was watching phrankleen today and he said something about this teaching route scheme coming into effect. Cost of living plus teachers going or planning to go on strike because the govt is not making a deal with them, this is just to undercut their citizens/current teachers and put them in a disadvantaged position to negotiate by bringing in teachers from Africa.

Have a plan when you come to the UK....

Sorry don't know anything about classrooms but I think if you teach in a school on a good postcode might have better experiences.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 6:57am On Dec 31, 2022
kode12:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1126847/2022-12-28_-_Worker_and_Temporary_Worker.csv/preview

Hello my brother, thanks so much. But please do you have the link for employers in medical field most esp health care work that offer COS and do you have the link for employers in non-medical field that offer COS?

(1) (2) (3) ... (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.