Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (786) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191597 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ak22(m): 3:20pm On Jan 01, 2023
MichaelUde:

Go to the first page of this thread and check the pinned posts. Care na just one of the many alternatives for part-time work.

can someone get care sponsor job from nigeria ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 3:25pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:

But is the figure realistic after am done with school.?

Depends on a number of factors which include:

Course of study
Age+ social mobility
Job you're in
How your pay is structured.. private contractor e.t.c
Side hustles
Investment decisions
Other mandatory expenditure... cars, rent e.t.c. This does not include mortgage repayments

Depending on the above, you could reasonably give yourself a timeframe to attain that. Immediately after masters might be a tall ask.

To put things in perspective, 3k savings after expenses is roughly equivalent to someone who has 1 - 2 million monthly in Nigeria after expenditure.

It'd be difficult to make accurate projections from Nigeria as it'd be difficult to grasp lots of things. It's best after experiencing the system yourself.
All said, many have treaded this path to greatness.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 3:36pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:

Planning to have soon. Just got married last year.
For me as a parent in the UK (without any family around for support), child care is the most expensive thing after rent/mortgage.

Based on all the details you've provided so far, it'll be impossible to save £3k unless your partner is earning at least £5k net per month.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Meogom: 3:57pm On Jan 01, 2023
@semmyk and other elders in the house.
Good day chief and other gurus in the house. I can see u are my senior engineering colleague. I am an electrical engineer and relatively new in UK, I will like advice on how best to progress as an engineer in this terrain, what to do to improve my chances, how to become chartered (if it's necessary) and any other advice generally. I have a fairly ok job but still looking for better options especially one with sponsorship. I am a beneficiary of some great tips from wonderful platform, they've really assisted in our settling down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mayowa94: 4:03pm On Jan 01, 2023
Happy new year guys.
Please do I need police clearance certificate to switch from tier 4 to tier 2?
If yes how can I get Nigeria police clearance certificate from UK? Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 4:04pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:
Happy new year. Please I need a sincere advice for my next move.I got admission to southwales for Feb intake . I'm making 6 digits monthly here in Nigeria.I have a wife.As a Student with dependent is it possible for both of us to be saving like 3k pounds in a month.
hi,
Short answer is : It is possible.
Your dependent will have to get a very good high paying job while you also work to support the family. For example, if your spouse gets a job paying ~ £55k, their take home will be around £3080. You can choose to save all of it while surviving on your 20hr a week job.
On your followup question on earnings after school. Again, it is very possible but both of you need good paying jobs. Once a child is involved, it becomes harder.

According to the CPAG, the cost of raising a child (excluding housing, childcare and council tax) from birth to 18 is now: £160,692 for a couple family. £193,801 for a single parent/guardian.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sugarkemi(m): 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2023
dustydee:

hi,
Your dependent will have to get a very good high paying job while you also work to support the family. For example, if your spouse gets a job paying ~ £55k, their take home will be around £3080. You can choose to save all of it while surviving on your 20hr a week job.
On your followup question on earnings after school. Again, it is very possible but both of you need good paying jobs. Once a child is involved, it becomes harder.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 4:21pm On Jan 01, 2023
dustydee:

hi,

not possible with what u just wrote. How much will go into utility bills, rent and groceries? Is he living in a free house ? Can you do all that with 20hrs per week job? No give the guy false hope. They don’t pick money on the street here

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:35pm On Jan 01, 2023
For CASH LISA account holders, do not forget to get the £4,000 into it to get the free 25% ((£1,000) by end of tax year in 5th April 2023. This could be used to deposit for your first mortgage house. Husband and wife less than 40 years could open this account and save upto £10,000 each tax year until both reach 50 years when you cannot save money in the LISA account.

For STOCK & SHARES ISA account holders, do not forget to max out the £20,000 allowance per tax year, 5th April, 2023. When you max out the £20k in stocks and shares ISA account, you can keep putting more funds in your General Investment Account.

There are so many stocks that are quite cheap in NYSE...you can cherry pick good dividend paying stocks with dividend yields upto 6-8%.

Remember that profits from stocks and share lSA account and dividend payments from your stocks and shares ISA account are not TAXABLE....tax man doesn't look into these earnings

Slow and steady win in the market....

HAPPY 2023.....

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:52pm On Jan 01, 2023
jum33:

Let me tell u the real truth,if you making 6 figures in nigeria and living comfortable and you come to uk ,your first few month you will regret your actions.

But what exactly is "six figures"? 100k is it, same as 950k. Even the 950k is doesn't mean so much in Nigeria especially in a city like Lagos or Abuja.

Coming into the UK, the first few months may be tough, but anyone who has managed to build a career in Nigeria to earn 7 figures or the higher end of 6 figures should have what it takes to learn the lay of the land and switch up real fast in the UK.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2023
kode12:

Six digits is a wide range. N100,000 is 6d. N999,999 is also 6d so maybe if you go over/under a figure it might help others. However, speaking in general terms this system doesn't allow you to have that much disposable cash unless you're extremely frugal and earn way above average. Based on ONS stats median weekly pay is £640. That's before tax and NI, if you factor those in your weekly take home would amount to c. £512. Factor in your rent, utilities, council tax, childcare costs(if any),travel costs etc. and you'll have an idea what's going to .....
Couldn't have said it better..

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:03pm On Jan 01, 2023
mex551:
not possible with what u just wrote. How much will go into utility bills, rent and groceries? Is he living in a free house ? Can you do all that with 20hrs per week job? No give the guy false hope. They don’t pick money on the street here
I am always careful when using the word "impossible", especially when I am not aware of the full facts.
I will give you an example.
My spouse and I came for our masters at the same time. Neither of us workd for an hour during our study and yet ALL our bills were paid. Now I am sure you are screaming "IMPOSSIBLE".

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 6:00pm On Jan 01, 2023
dustydee:

I am always careful when using the word "impossible", especially when I am not aware of the full facts.
My spouse and I came for our masters at the same time. Neither of us workd for an hour during our study and yet ALL our bills were paid. Now I am sure you are screaming "IMPOSSIBLE".
. And you save £3000 per month! Congratulations. Abeg show us the way

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 6:23pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:
. But is the figure realistic after am done with school.?

Lower your expectations and come and start with us. Finishing school is it not 9 months? If after 9 months you can not save 3k … then what next?
What I can tell you for a fact is that tomorrow is very pregnant, it might not look so but never despise the humble beginnings.
Keep persevering even when it doesn’t look like it but you’ll come out better. We started with 4k lone salary, ended 2022 with monthly household income of more than double. To flenjo na my ‘neighbour’ middle name. We still sometimes don’t save this your 3k because some months we just want to live. The work na suffer person dey suffer so splurging sometimes is very necessary.
Tomorrow is very pregnant.
If you are just 2, it is doable as some have pointed out. Then when kids come, you ration mother and mother in law to save your childcare costs because that one is a heavy cutter as people have said. Also stay away from London initially. Bottom line is there is always something ready in the name of bills to fight against your 3k savings and in a country where all man for himself, you must sort out yourself one way or the other before ‘savings’ .
Good luck .

Sidebar- you people should open this mortgage thread please na…

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2023
dustydee:

hi,
Your dependent will have to get a very good high paying job while you also work to support the family.

Haba now For a single person to survive on 20hr job is near impossible talk less a couple. Where do they want to stay? Bills inclusive house share with five other people?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mroriginal: 6:57pm On Jan 01, 2023
Can you please advise any other cash saving option with interest on par with inflation apart from LISA? Mostly for people who plan to leave UK after naturalization and do not want to buy a house and be mortgage tied.
ukay2:
For CASH LISA account holders, do not forget to get the £4,000 into it to get the free 25% ((£1,000) by end of tax year in 5th April 2023. This could be used to deposit for your first mortgage house. Husband and wife less than 40 years could open this account and save upto £10,000 each tax year until both reach 50 years when you cannot save money in the LISA account.

For STOCK & SHARES ISA account holders, do not forget to max out the £20,000 allowance per tax year, 5th April, 2023. When you max out the £20k in stocks and shares ISA account, you can keep putting more funds in your General Investment Account.

There are so many stocks that are quite cheap in NYSE...you can cherry pick good dividend paying stocks with dividend yields upto 6-8%.

Remember that profits from stocks and share lSA account and dividend payments from your stocks and shares ISA account are not TAXABLE....tax man doesn't look into these earnings

HAPPY 2023.....

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mroriginal: 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2023
Hi, a quick question please. Did you go with the date on your BRP or the date on your visa vignette? We have a case where our BRP date of issue is earlier than our Visa Viginette date. BRP date of issue is 17 Dec while visa vignette start date is Dec 30. Do we apply 28 days from BRP date or visa vignette date? T2 five year route.
fatima04:

Scenario below

Assuming you came on Tier 2 Visa and the date on your visa vignette from Nigeria is 1st November 2022 you can apply 28days before 1st November 2027 (which is 5yrs after) I.e 3rd of October 2027.
Use the calculator link below or excel for your deduction to be accurate and in the case of 10 yrs route

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?d1=13&m1=12&y1=2022&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=28&rec=

Hope it's clear and I haven't confused you further grin. You cal also find more information on gov.uk with explanation on date and absences
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2023
Amarathripple0 for president grin God bless you
Amarathripple0:

Are you a student or a dependant? Since you are in Sheffield, you can apply for this position (if you are a student), they are open to hiring students and the pay is decent. If you are a dependant , you can apply for the full time position on their site.
https://www.plus.net/careers/jobs/sheffield/part-time-customer-solutions-advisor/

Also check out https://www.milkround.com/ , they have a number of opportunities for students. You can also register with Unitemps (https://www.unitemps.com/), and they’ll advertise openings in your Uni.

For full time gigs, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc are not the bread and butter, also check out https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi
https://otta.com/
https://snaphunt.com/

I wish you the best of luck!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:46pm On Jan 01, 2023
Can someone above 40 years open a Cash LISA account? If no, what then is the alternative to to go for?

ukay2:

HAPPY 2023.....

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:53pm On Jan 01, 2023
Show us the way naaah cry

dustydee:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2023
Mroriginal:
Can you please advise any other cash saving option with interest on par with inflation apart from LISA? Mostly for people who plan to leave UK after naturalization and do not want to buy a house and be mortgage tied.

Unfortunately l don't know this one. Big ogas like Lexusgs430, Sumotaya, Justwise, Ticha etc may provide answers soon.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2023
bigtt76:
Can someone above 40 years open a Cash LISA account? If no, what then is the alternative to to go for?

Cash LISA is for less than 40years only.

I think STOCKS & SHARES lSA has no age limit....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:09pm On Jan 01, 2023
Mroriginal:

Been mortgage tied ......... What does this mean .......

Can you compare the equity appreciation vs interest expectations........

Let's assume it takes 5 years to get your naturalization, you want to be paying your landlord's mortgage for 5 year's......... I say no more ......

We need some financial management lessons 101, on this thread............ cheesy

Simply sell the house,when you want to JAPA*2 ....... grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:10pm On Jan 01, 2023
mex551:
. And you save £3000 per month! Congratulations. Abeg show us the way
Where did I say I saved £3000 a month?
Even in my statement you reacted to with "impossible", I said if the spouse was working and I gave a salary.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:11pm On Jan 01, 2023
bigtt76:
Show us the way naaah cry

Which way? I had "all" the money before coming to the UK so no pressure to work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:15pm On Jan 01, 2023
kode12:

Haba now For a single person to survive on 20hr job is near impossible talk less a couple. Where do they want to stay? Bills inclusive house share with five other people?
I went and re-read his/her qustion again, there was only a mention of savings. We were not given any information on their personal circumstance. What if they have everything sorted?
The single biggest expense is accomodation. What if that's settled? I had my accommodation settle for the duration of my course so did not have to worry about that. The only utility I paid was electricity which was just over £50 a month. It was a student accommodation so no council tax, no broadband subscription etc.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:27pm On Jan 01, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Been mortgage tied ......... What does this mean .......

Can you compare the equity appreciation vs interest expectations........

Let's assume it takes 5 years to get your naturalization, you want to be paying your landlord's mortgage for 5 year's......... I say no more ......

We need some financial management lessons 101, on this thread............ cheesy

Simply sell the house,when you want to JAPA*2 ....... grin

If you know you know.......

Cut soaps for us baba Lexusgs430 a beg.... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:29pm On Jan 01, 2023
ukay2:

If you know you know.......

Cut soaps for us baba Lexusgs430 a beg.... grin

Nah canoe soap o ....... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sugarkemi(m): 8:34pm On Jan 01, 2023
Please anyone in Newport or somewhere close to Newport that can help with accommodation?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:41pm On Jan 01, 2023
Ha... That's the best way really if one could afford it. But how did you navigate the aftermath?

dustydee:

Which way? I had "all" the money before coming to the UK so no pressure to work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2023
Ooh great and what app or platform do you suggest one to use for the Stocks and Shares?

ukay2:

Cash LISA is for less than 40years only.

I think STOCKS & SHARES lSA has no age limit....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:54pm On Jan 01, 2023
bigtt76:
Ooh great and what app or platform do you suggest one to use for the Stocks and Shares?

Try Freetrade app or Moneybox app or Trading212 or IG stockbroker or Nutmeg or AJbell stockbroker.

I use Moneybox for cash LISA and Trading212 for stocks & shares ISA...

6 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.