Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (787) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191933 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2023
Thank you. I'll look at these.

ukay2:

Try Freetrade app or Moneybox app or Trading212 or IG stockbroker or Nutmeg or AJbell stockbroker.

I use Moneybox for cash LISA and Trading212 for stocks & shares ISA...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 9:06pm On Jan 01, 2023
dustydee:

I went and re-read his/her qustion again, there was only a mention of savings. We were not given any information on their personal circumstance. What if they have everything sorted?
The single biggest expense is accomodation. What if that's settled? I had my accommodation settle for the duration of my course so did not have to worry about that. The only utility I paid was electricity which was just over £50 a month. It was a student accommodation so no council tax, no broadband subscription etc.
Again I say, haba now?? No need spitting hairs, but your case is 1% exception. We can't give generic advise on the exception. That said, abeg show us the way now, let us line up all our village people.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:41pm On Jan 01, 2023
ak22:
can someone get care sponsor job from nigeria ?
UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa thread might come in handy - www.nairaland.com/6748312/uk-skilled-worker-visa-health
MichaelUde:
Go to the first page of this thread and check the pinned posts. Care na just one of the many alternatives for part-time work.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mroriginal: 9:48pm On Jan 01, 2023
Oga lexus, Equity appreciation and interest expectation has been computed. Short term over the next 1-2 years exit considering the interest rate against property appreciation, rental is works out better plus the flexibility of not being tied to a single location in the UK. Also, option of renting out a mortgaged property was considered but a residential mortgage needs to be converted to a buy 2 let before that can be done. so there are some limitations there too. That's the reason for seeking out savings option with an okay to high return/interest .
Lexusgs430:

Been mortgage tied ......... What does this mean .......

Can you compare the equity appreciation vs interest expectations........

Let's assume it takes 5 years to get your naturalization, you want to be paying your landlord's mortgage for 5 year's......... I say no more ......

We need some financial management lessons 101, on this thread............ cheesy

Simply sell the house,when you want to JAPA*2 ....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:58pm On Jan 01, 2023
kode12:

Again I say, haba now?? No need spitting hairs, but your case is 1% exception. We can't give generic advise on the exception. That said, abeg show us the way now, let us line up all our village people.
Sure, no wahala. I only responded because someone said it was impossible. Now while it is possible, it is highly unlikely that they can save that amount.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2023
bigtt76:
Ha... That's the best way really if one could afford it. But how did you navigate the aftermath?

Not sure what you mean by aftermath but we both had good jobs before coming and were intending to go back to our jobs. We just took leave.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2023
Based on the limited info you provided, what I can say is work persistently towards your CEng. You'll need your engineering body to register. ECUK, the regulatory body, doesn't allow #direct registration as CEng or IEng or EngTech or ICTTech. You must go through your engrg institution. For me it's IET: should be same for you.
PS, though I maintain CEng, I currently do not practice as an engr.
Question is; what side of electrical enrg do you tilt. What's your background; broadly speaking.
Do you do PLC related, or power or good ol electrical wiring?

With that said, being chartered isn't the all in all: might come in handy as you move to certain roles.
What I can say is ensure you work on ('referencable') projects, try ramping up on CPE/CPD and be visible in your engineering institution in so far you can.
I trust the Elders will chip in and advice you accordingly.
Meogom:
@semmyk and other elders in the house.
Good day chief and other gurus in the house. I can see u are my senior engineering colleague. I am an electrical engineer and relatively new in UK, I will like advice on how best to progress as an engineer in this terrain, what to do to improve my chances, how to become chartered (if it's necessary) and any other advice generally. I have a fairly ok job but still looking for better options especially one with sponsorship. I am a beneficiary of some great tips from wonderful platform, they've really assisted in our settling down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2023
Mroriginal:
Oga lexus, Equity appreciation and interest expectation has been computed. Short term over the next 1-2 years exit considering the interest rate against property appreciation, rental is works out better plus the flexibility of not being tied to a single location in the UK. Also, option of renting out a mortgaged property was considered but a residential mortgage needs to be converted to a buy 2 let before that can be done. so there are some limitations there too. That's the reason for seeking out savings option with an okay to high return/interest .

High interest rates, is not available in the UK...... Rates applicable at the moment is about 2.86% AER.......

So you see, we don't have the Nigerian style 20% interest rates here .........

So you see ...... No be joke ...... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 10:12pm On Jan 01, 2023
Yes, we need that thread. So it’s live with most recent updates. Interest rates aren’t smiling now and looking like renting is better than buying
giselle237:

Sidebar- you people should open this mortgage thread please na…

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:31pm On Jan 01, 2023
I meant to ask this but you answered it. You guys bi power couple dat cheesy

dustydee:

Not sure what you mean by aftermath but we both had good jobs before coming and were intending to go back to our jobs. We just took leave.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 10:32pm On Jan 01, 2023
As @Lexusgs430 said, there is nothing like mortgage tied. Simply sell when you are ready to Japa and cash out. Whether you are renting or owner occupied, you go still pay mortgage. Choose your path. People like @Lexusgs430 encouraged the likes of us who came in 3 years ago and already living in our own property. I bet you want to experience the peace of mind that comes with living in your own property in this our Youkay. Favourite quote ‘rent money is dead money’ Over and out.
Lexusgs430:

Let's assume it takes 5 years to get your naturalization, you want to be paying your landlord's mortgage for 5 year's......... I say no more ......

We need some financial management lessons 101, on this thread............ cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:15pm On Jan 01, 2023
tshoboy:
Yes, we need that thread. So it’s life with most recent updates. Interest rates aren’t smiling now and looking like renting is better than buying
I used to hear that buying is cheaper but I guess things have changed because for an average 3 bedroom mortgage, one needs to be paying like £1,800/month.

But mortgage still has more advantages if it can be afforded because of the equity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:30pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:
Happy new year. Please I need a sincere advice for my next move.I got admission to southwales for Feb intake . I'm making 6 digits monthly here in Nigeria.I have a wife.As a Student with dependent is it possible for both of us to be saving like 3k pounds in a month.

£3k will be quite difficult, not impossible. A rule of thumb for a couple in South Wales would be £100 income for each working day for each person (spouse works 6 days weekly and student twice weekly) and expenses of £60 daily for the couple. With this calculation, £1k savings monthly is more reasonable.

As for your 6 digits, means nothing, it's your choice. Some people here were making much more, others were making less but each had to make a personal decision and know why they intend to move. You may be better off there or here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 11:33pm On Jan 01, 2023
Viruses:

I used to hear that buying is cheaper but I guess things have changed because for an average 3 bedroom mortgage, one needs to be paying like £1,800/month.

But mortgage still has more advantages if it can be afforded because of the equity.
Yeah, interest rates has made it more expensive and I agree. Buy one if you can afford it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2023
ukay2:

Unfortunately l don't know this one. Big ogas like Lexusgs430, Sumotaya, Justwise, Ticha etc may provide answers soon.....

I'm so proud to see my name sandwiched among these great folks. The simple answer is: there is no such genuine "cash saving" scheme with such returns here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:42pm On Jan 01, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Very easy formula!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:44pm On Jan 01, 2023
sugarkemi:
Please anyone in Newport or somewhere close to Newport that can help with accommodation?

I'm in Newport now. You have to drop this your 6 figure talk though o, if you wanna embark on this journey o.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:01am On Jan 02, 2023
hustla:

smiley

Will be interesting to see how it pans out for a lot of folks in 10/15 yrs time

Hopefully people wont pack 15 hr care shifts and neglect the kids to the hands of social media / streets

The alarming rate of black kids in gangs is worrisome, now! Add fresh influx of kids born to these ‘woke’ immigrant parents to it. One can only hope many won’t look back in 10/15 years and regret bringing the whole family, especially their kids.
Blacks do not hold on strongly to their cultural identity - we are easily swayed.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:12am On Jan 02, 2023
sugarkemi:
Happy new year. Please I need a sincere advice for my next move.I got admission to southwales for Feb intake . I'm making 6 digits monthly here in Nigeria.I have a wife.As a Student with dependent is it possible for both of us to be saving like 3k pounds in a month.

Do you both have kids? If yes, then you guys might be limited in your earnings per week per month.
Also, depends on who the student is - is it you or your wife?
Lower your expectations and if you meet it, you can then raise the bar.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 3:29am On Jan 02, 2023
Happy New Year, Fellow Nigerians grin

Biko, how can one conduct a thorough professional inspection on a used car in this UK either from an dealer or private owner (all seen via Auto trader)?

Does one just take the words/warranty of the sellers for it OR does one have to go with a mechanic/technician? The latter is what I'd do or did in Nigeria and it turned out fine?

Please advise.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 3:30am On Jan 02, 2023
Happy New Year to everyone smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:40am On Jan 02, 2023
AlphaUno:

The alarming rate of black kids in gangs is worrisome, now! Add fresh influx of kids born to these ‘woke’ immigrant parents to it. One can only hope many won’t look back in 10/15 years and regret bringing the whole family, especially their kids.
Blacks do not hold on strongly to their cultural identity - we are easily swayed.

grin

We will see how it goes. God keep us till then
On the flipside, it seems Nigerian kids and the gang thing is a lot common in UK than other countries for some reason

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:14am On Jan 02, 2023
AgentXxx:
Amarathripple0 for president grin God bless you
Amen!! cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sugarkemi(m): 5:51am On Jan 02, 2023
Solumtoya:

I'm in Newport now. You have to drop this your 6 figure talk though o, if you wanna embark on this journey o.
.lol,thank

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:55am On Jan 02, 2023
lightnlife:
Happy New Year, Fellow Nigerians grin

Biko, how can one conduct a thorough professional inspection on a used car in this UK either from an dealer or private owner (all seen via Auto trader)?

Does one just take the words/warranty of the sellers for it OR does one have to go with a mechanic/technician? The latter is what I'd do or did in Nigeria and it turned out fine?

Please advise.

Thanks

You can pay AA/RAC to conduct vehicle inspection..... Most dealers don't like this type of inspection, because AA/RAC usually conduct an excellent inspection, tearing the vehicle's apart .......... grin

https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections/comprehensive-inspection

Buying from a dealer, pay using a credit card (your purchase is protected by S75)..... If vehicle is not as described, simply leave your CC company to fight your battles.........

Buying from a private seller ....... Vehicle must be as described (if not, small claims court/ or seller might be nice) ......... grin

Also conduct an MOT history check + HPI check.......

NB : NEVER PAY A DEPOSIT, FOR ANY VEHICLE...... Unless you're 1000% certain to proceed......... wink

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:37am On Jan 02, 2023
Solumtoya:

I'm so proud to see my name sandwiched among these great folks. The simple answer is: there is no such genuine "cash saving" scheme with such returns here.

Aahh... forgive me oo please
I won't miss the spellings again oga mi...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:51am On Jan 02, 2023
Ok

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:47am On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:
Just making our bucket list for 2023 wink
I am planning of going home with my family at some point in this year, I am from the rural part of South Western Nigeria.

My son is 2 years old and has never been to Nigeria. His Dad is white Scottish .

Please what are the safety precautions for food and water safety? Do I need to go with bottled water from here or just boil water at home for them? What are the dos and don't? Do you think it is wise to go now that he is 2 years old or I should wait a bit longer? What are the necessary immunisations to take? Please kindly help a confused mum. Thank you xx

Normal 'pure water' or bottled water for naija should be ok nah.

Routine immunizations upto date should be ok..

Get anti-malaria medication

I do hope this is not 'village people calling'

Wait a little let the insecurity level and the election tension reduce a beg

But you have the final decision to make......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 10:59am On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:
I am planning of going home with my family at some point in this year, I am from the rural part of South Western Nigeria.

My son is 2 years old and has never been to Nigeria. His Dad is white Scottish .

Please what are the safety precautions for food and water safety? Do I need to go with bottled water from here or just boil water at home for them? What are the dos and don't? Do you think it is wise to go now that he is 2 years old or I should wait a bit longer? What are the necessary immunisations to take? Please kindly help a confused mum. Thank you xx

Lol.... u want to carry bottled water from uk to Nigeria?
You Really believe there's no good water back home? Just as the media protrays...

Bottled/sachet water is rampant which is safe for drinking. Same with a deep enough borehole with maintained tanks (worse still, you can boil it)

You could make your food or eat out in places you feel have good hygiene
Safety largely depends on where you're going to and your personal circumstance.

For immunisations, worth visiting any travel centre. Did he have TB vaccine at birth? Also malaria is one to sure get prophylaxis against.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 02, 2023
jedisco:

Lol.... u want to carry bottled water from uk to Nigeria?

Funniest thing I've seen so far this new year. grin

Owishiwishi

Anyway, to the OP on a more serious note - normal bottled water from reputable brands (e.g. Eva) should be fine, but if any one of you is immunocompromised or you want to be doubly safe, just boil water. Heat sterilises water the same way anywhere in the world, even in Nigeria wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 11:13am On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:

I read your post several times smiling.

My advice for anyone visiting Nigeria with a foreign partner for the first time is same. Visit Nigeria like a tourist. See it like one of the other visit you have done to other countries.

For your family comfort, get a private accommodation like Airbnb or hotel (pls try not to compromise this for anything/reason). This will help you guys still have your Scottish/abroad times. Remember that BOUNDARIES is not really our thing in Nigeria, unless clearly defined by YOU.

Carry multivitamins for your partner and son. I believe the normal well man and well kid should be fine (or something in that angle).

Aquafina ( Pepsi bottle water) is a good water from my experience.

For your son’s age, my plan is to visit when mine is 5yrs old. And my only reason is so that we can communicate better (language, signs and with our eyes) and also He can express if he’s not comfortable at a particular place (families) or people.

Finally don’t forget that BOUNDARIES is not really our thing in Nigeria, unless clearly defined by YOU.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.