Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (789) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174507 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) (791) (792) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Meogom: 8:28pm On Jan 02, 2023
Will be driving on UK roads for the first time tomorrow, feeling kinda apprehensive, abeg any tips from the gurus?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 8:28pm On Jan 02, 2023
jedisco:

Hehe...
Its
There's sachet water by trusted companies or bottled water by same. Still drink both to this day. If there is a well sited machine drilled borehole or even a private well with pump, then water needs are largely settled asides drinking.

I would not be advising long-term use of dettol in water and certainly not to use it in water for brushing moreso for a kid that'd typically swallow such.

As an adult, I've always tried to avoid using mosquito repellant creams or sprays except on certain late outings and wouldn't be keen on using them on a toddler (except very very occasionally as I'm unsure what the long-term effects might be.
As he'd be on malaria prophylaxis, the main concern is the irritation of the bites not contracting malaria. A well netted house + occasional insecticides/nets would keep off most mosquitoes. Worse still an insectinator is an option. I'd consider all these before using repellant creams.

Yes, it's important to be health conscious but the main thing to appreciate is that kids in the Southwest are not dropping dead by the second. I believe on subsequent visits, things would be easier.

The OP needs to do their own research but Dettol antiseptic liquid can be used long term for baths when diluted with water. It basically says so on the label and has been used for that purpose since it was created. My mother used it when she first took us to Nigeria and I used it on my children as well.
I understand the concern about mouthwashing on children but again, one only needs a drop of dettol to disinfect a large bucket of water so swallowing shouldn't present a major concern.

Water contamination is a huge issue in Nigeria especially in areas where clean running water is not the norm so it is best to be safe than sorry especially for those who are not used to the Nigerian climate as they don't have the same immune systems.

"Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant Household Grade - Cleanses & helps protect against infection from cuts, scratches & insect bites. - Kills germs on household surfaces. For use as a gentle antiseptic on the skin. Also suitable as a household disinfectant. - To feel refreshed and really clean, 30ml of Dettol Liquid may be used safely in the bath. - To freshen linen, nappies or other laundry items add 30ml of Dettol Liquid to the rinse cycle."
https://www.dettol.com.au/personal-hygiene/first-aid-antiseptics/dettol-classic-antiseptic-liquid-250ml/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2023
koonbey:

Everything you said is tangential, and that was the same issue with your original response.

You didn't give facts - everything you said was opinion. The question was if it's possible to access council housing and the answer should be 'yes', 'no' or 'I don't know' but you instead began pontificating about the morality of coming into the country and wanting to access this and that - all despite having zero context of why the person is considering that at this point.

Ultimately, it was a legal question, not a moral one. Same as the prime minister's wife was exploiting tax loopholes and several other people are here using LISAs to get 'free' money from the UK government, the only thing you needed to clarify was whether it was possible or not from a legal standpoint, if you had that knowledge.

If the person finds out it's not legal, surely she'll make her way and live somewhere regardless. If it is legal though, it would be completely stupid of her not to explore it for fear of offending you and your 'British' sensibilities.

That's what she needed clarification on, not a Sunday sermon.

The context was clear,..said person is blind, on a student visa and believes that this disability would allow them to apply for council housing...what other context are you looking for?

That being said, are you trying to direct me on how to answer a question posed on a public forum?

Since when did that become your job?

So you didn't like the way I responded however my views are valid just as yours are and as I said not every answer or view is going to tally up with what you feel is appropriate or not so learn to live and let live. No one made you Lord Mayor of Nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2023
Take it easy, no rush. Follow road signs and keep to speed limit, always look and wait for oncoming vehicles emerging on your right. Stay in your lane and if you miss a turn, dont swerve quickly to correct it, just go the wrong way and then find a safe way to get back on course. All the best.

Meogom:
Will be driving on UK roads for the first time tomorrow, feeling kinda apprehensive, abeg any tips from the gurus?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2023
Hi Guys,

Where will say are the best cities / places for raising a family in the UK outside London? Things to consider are crime rate, cost of living, good schools, shopping, amenities etc..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:
Obey the speed limit, obey road signs, use your mirrors and always check before you park to ensure that you aren't in breach. Those parking fines are not a joke.

If you are in London, check you don't go into the congestion zone without paying the charge and that if your car is not ulez compliant before you enter certain parts of the city, ensure that is paid too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mayo47(m): 9:06pm On Jan 02, 2023
100k too na 6 digits o grin grin

sugarkemi:
Happy new year. Please I need a sincere advice for my next move.I got admission to southwales for Feb intake . I'm making 6 digits monthly here in Nigeria.I have a wife.As a Student with dependent is it possible for both of us to be saving like 3k pounds in a month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2023
Peerielass:

Hello, I’ve been to Nigeria with my daughter who is mixed race and her Scottish dad yearly except for 2020 when Covid was rife. We returned in July 2021 and also visited last Oct.

We usually stay in an Airbnb in Lekki that's centrally located, secure and with all the modern day facilities to make their stay comfortable and we’ve had no issues (touchwood) in any of our previous stays. Most of the Airbnb accommodations have the Cway water dispensers so you would need to refill this from time to time.

The best thing to do regarding vaccination is to visit your GP or local travel clinic. The travel nurse will tell you which vacs are compulsory for travel to Nigeria and which ones are just recommended. Your hubby would definitely need a yellow fever vac for sure. I’m not sure about your son but it will depend on if he is travelling on a Nigeria passport. I think they may ask you to get tetanus, rabies etc but some of these jabs have long validity so you don’t need to get them that often. I find that the most expensive element is the anti malaria drugs as they tend to push for Malarone which is very dear. In addition to the Malarone, I use to buy jungle formula/deet creams for use but always end up not using them and haven’t had any malaria incidence.

For food depending on what your two year old fancies, I usually take a lot of food with me, mainly breakfast stuff and snacks because my daughter is fussy. This last trip I took a polystyrene cool box full of Aberdeen Angus steak, fresh haddock, sausages and salmon. It was still very frozen when we got there. I used to just buy from shop rite but my daughter and hubby always complained that the steak was too ‘toug’h’, chicken too ‘hard’, too much ‘bones’ in the fish and sausages tasted ‘funny’ so I resorted to taking my own.

Last October, my daughter and I ventured to the East for the first time in 10years while hubby returned to UK. He didn’t feel brave enough but said he will come next time after the elections. You will need to be vigilant and take all the necessary precautions you would normally take when visiting a foreign place.

Also just to add to what Chreze said about boundaries, be prepared to see people come up to you in the mall to stroke your child’s hair/face etc. You just need to shine your red eye for them and they will run away. They will also constantly ask your spouse for money in the airport.

Get travel insurance too.

Let me know if you have any specific questions you would like answered,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive explanation. I am very grateful for sharing your good experience with me. I actually do not have any specific questions yet but would definitely reach out once the time is nearer We move in 2023 cheesy smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2023
Gerrard59:
I am really interested in reading tips and experiences from black African parents who have been in the UK for ages in tackling the issue. Two solutions I have thought are sending them to schools owned by conservative churches, sending them to Nigeria so that they know the conditions at home, the stakes at hand and the reasons mummy and daddy had to relocate. Like you stated, spending quality time with the children is very important.

@Mamatukwas: e be say plenty people needs your thread. Sending them over.
semmyk:
Parenting in the UK might be a good place on coping with children. https://www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2023
rezzy:

I remember this name way back 2017 or there about on one teaching vacancy thread.

All these UK students sef, did you answer him/her?

Yes o, I told her to start watching Nollywood movies on Netflix to have a glimpse of our mansion in Nigeria cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:
Avoid driving on motorway for the first 3 days grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2023
Happy New Year My People.

Posted this in the Students thread but I’ll repost here incase you know someone suitable:

A UK based company is looking to hire a Virtual Assistant with social media skills to work 5-6 hours a week (work from home).

Pay is min wage + profit sharing. Students who are serious about steady part-time work are invited to apply by sending an email explaining suitability and your current situation to teamcrayonuk@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:55pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:

Be wary of bus lane, one way roads and speeding cameras to avoid fines.

Give way to traffic on your right and adhere to pedestrian zebra crossing rules.

If you are turning right at a junction with traffic lights, don’t just go when the lights turn green if there are oncoming vehicles in the opposite direction. Wait till there is an arrow pointing right. This usually catches out a lot of people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:

But na motor way sweet and smooth pass to drive self grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:00pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:

Keep to the left anytime you enter a new road unless your turning right..

Hope you have a valid road tax, MOT, driving licence and insurance.

UK police no de hear a beg oo grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 10:47pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:

Stay safe,
What I did then was that, I read about road signs and highway code, watched some video , and asked a friend that has been driving for over 6month just to see me drive for like 30-1hr.

Other tips,

Make sure you have a navigation to direct you (google map or other map that you like).

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:

Lol,

My funny experience on motor way.

Made lots of long u-turns,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:14pm On Jan 02, 2023
Meogom:
If you use an iPhone, use Apple Map; it’ll ease things for you and it’s really good as it mentions traffic lights, alerts you of speed cameras ahead, and informs you ahead of time of turns and the right lane you should stay on ahead of a turn. If you don’t use an iPhone, then download Waze. Waze is equally good, if not better, as it’s more real-time. (I prefer the iPhone map, though.)

If you have right of way on a main street and you are approaching a corner street and there’s a car approaching at top speed, maintain your own speed and don’t slow down. They'll make way for you. I used to slow down a lot based on PTSD from Nigeria, but a lot of people here respect the right of way. However, there are some insane people, so remain vigilant.

And use your mirrors a lot; before every turn and every stop, these bicycle and scooter guys appear out of nowhere. Driving in the UK is enjoyable, so happy driving.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2023
STENON:
I drove on the Motorway the first day I got my car. Thank God for maps because I don’t like peace, I love problems always! grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 11:58pm On Jan 02, 2023
How can one ascertain that agency is actually remitting tax contribution To home office.

I checked now on HMRC and its showing You do not have gaps in your record.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 12:45am On Jan 03, 2023
lavida001:
How can one ascertain that agency is actually remitting tax contribution To home office.

I checked now on HMRC and its showing You do not have gaps in your record.

I wouldn’t worry about the agency not remitting tax to Revenue. As long as the correct deductions for Tax and NI are made from your pay, then you should be alright. Most employers are set up to remit the PAYE automatically to Revenue by the 22nd of the next month.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 2:45am On Jan 03, 2023
angry {Rep for association of bicycle guys}
Amarathripple0:

If you use an iPhone, use Apple Map; it’ll ease things for you and it’s really good as it mentions traffic lights, alerts you of speed cameras ahead, and informs you ahead of time of turns and the right lane you should stay on ahead of a turn. If you don’t use an iPhone, then download Waze. Waze is equally good, if not better, as it’s more real-time. (I prefer the iPhone map, though.)

Finally, if you have right of way on a main street and you are approaching a corner street and there’s a car approaching at top speed, maintain your own speed and don’t slow down. They'll make way for you. I used to slow down a lot based on PTSD from Nigeria, but a lot of people here respect the right of way. However, there are some insane people, so remain vigilant.

And use your mirrors a lot; before every turn and every stop, these bicycle and scooter guys appear out of nowhere. Driving in the UK is enjoyable, so happy driving.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 2:50am On Jan 03, 2023
Hi everyone I got a letter from eon energy company that I have a 66pounds voucher for my energy.can I go with my house receipt or brp as a form of identification if I want to claim the benefit.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 2:51am On Jan 03, 2023
Can one explain this as it seems it either a scam or UK want to set me up for credits. Barely 4months in Uk and have been staying away from credit cards at least till am comfortable with it which I was hoping I will give it a trial this January but just today I got mails from various platform such as verypay, clean pay , lay pay encouraging me to shop with them that have got credits to spend. Are they legit? And am I being monitored on my spending?

NB: I did some huge cash shopping in December even though non of this sites were used?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 3:06am On Jan 03, 2023
IvanCardozo:

So much wealth of knowledge in all you've typed. I've been following your posts. Thanks so much for letting God use you. I need a mentor, I'm a new student in the UK. I'll send a DM please.�

After 8months, I'm coming back to thank Ralph Lauren again. I followed your tips bumper to bumper. Did a couple of Schengen travels (9 countries in total). I didn't spend up to 1,000 pounds in all (flights and hotels).

Then I applied for the US visa and..... Boom. I got it. Visa officer legit asked if I had travelled internationally since I came to the UK and I remembered what Ralphlauren said about touring Europe. Boldly told him I've gone to Santorini, Germany,Italy, Spain, France, Poland...... Etc etc. Dude just told me the golden words straight up.

So thanks again Ralphlauren.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 3:28am On Jan 03, 2023
Congrat mate, I better start my own travel plans too grin
IvanCardozo:

After 8months, I'm coming back to thank Ralph Lauren again. I followed your tips bumper to bumper. Did a couple of Schengen travels (9 countries in total). I didn't spend up to 1,000 pounds in all (flights and hotels).

Then I applied for the US visa and..... Boom. I got it. Visa officer legit asked if I had travelled internationally since I came to the UK and I remembered what Ralphlauren said about touring Europe. Boldly told him I've gone to Santorini, Germany,Italy, Spain, France, Poland...... Etc etc. Dude just told me the golden words straight up.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:47am On Jan 03, 2023
Maturedhustler:

Is this response specially for T2 applications (switch/extension)? I submitted application for PSW since 4 weeks ago and yet to get decision till now.

Though my dependents (kids) on separate application just submit theirs. I don’t want to believe that’s holding my own decision.
What option did you select? The ID check app method or the Travel to home office option?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OgbeniOptional(m): 3:54am On Jan 03, 2023
Congratulations mate, please how you take go 9 countries and spent less than £1k with flights and hotels? Thanks

IvanCardozo:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 5:05am On Jan 03, 2023
Food is ready ooo grin Oga Lexus bless it for us .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pwettyhardey(f): 6:19am On Jan 03, 2023
Good day everyone
Please has anyone or someone knows who has applied for visit visa and hasn’t gotten their passport in like 2 months? Please what’s the step they took?
My parents applied for visit visa and both went for biometric on 28/09/22. My dad got his passport delivered 30/10/22. I linked their application, as they were planning to come for holiday together But my mum hasn’t gotten hers, I have called and called and also emailed Tls. They keep saying I need to wait
And whenever I call from uk they said decision has been made, called last week and said they have reescalated and I should call back this Friday. Has anyone been in my shoe before?

(1) (2) (3) ... (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) (791) (792) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.