Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,897 members, 7,817,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (844) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179447 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stevepop: 2:19pm On Feb 09, 2023
HollyMadison:
Hello elders,

Thank you for your help and advice, I have been liking responses to my visit visa questions.

I have one more question for now

Grandma is not paying anything towards her visit. So how do I answer the question below, I tried to put 0gbp but it wasn’t accepted.

Should we send some naira for her to use as her personal contribution to the trip?
Or
Should we leave the 4k there (though it’s our contribution, not hers)?

This was from my Mum's application last month.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lawali: 3:13pm On Feb 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

In the absence of his BRP, you would have to use all that you have (whilst hoping BRP arrives last second).........

Why was that advised against............

The feedback from school career adviser is that the only acceptable prove of status by the colleges
for admission is copy of BRP. I found that submission unbelievable but looking for possible alternatives.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2023
lawali:

The feedback from school career adviser is that the only acceptable prove of status by the colleges
for admission is copy of BRP. I found that submission unbelievable but looking for possible alternatives.

Bypass that adviser, communicate with the school directly.........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 4:56pm On Feb 09, 2023
Please I need help booking my practical driving test. I keep seeing “no test found on any date” for all the test locations I’ve selected, is there a workaround for this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Elderss: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2023
HollyMadison:
Hello elders,

Thank you for your help and advice, I have been liking responses to my visit visa questions.

Grandma is not paying anything towards her visit. So how do I answer the question below, I tried to put 0gbp but it wasn’t accepted.

Should we send some naira for her to use as her personal contribution to the trip?
Or

Since Grandma is not paying anything towards her visit, you may put £1 or 1 naira.
That was what I did for my parents and in-laws.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lolli2pop: 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2023
Hi guys, please I would like to get your opinions on a subject. From past experiences, is the bill generated from a smart metre cheaper than the bill generated when you send your metre reading to the electric company? So in other words which is better to do? Install smart metre or send metre readings monthly to the energy company?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shorty2022: 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2023
noted
Stevepop:

This was from my Mum's application last month.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:57pm On Feb 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Hi guys, please I would like to get your opinions on a subject. From past experiences, is the bill generated from a smart metre cheaper than the bill generated when you send your metre reading to the electric company? So in other words which is better to do? Install smart metre or send metre readings monthly to the energy company?
Go with the smart meter, the rates are the same the meter does not influence what rates your supplier uses. At least with the smart meter you'll can monitor and manage usage.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seyejohn94: 10:07pm On Feb 09, 2023
Finally caught up with you guyz.... Been a really interesting read...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 10:30pm On Feb 09, 2023
Elders in the house, based on your experience,please which is better btw HP and PCP in getting a car in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:52pm On Feb 09, 2023
missjekyll:

You WILL NOT need a consent letter from an adult permitting another adult to travel.

No offence meant to the OP but this is notverygood practice carried over from Saudi applications. The EO will find it very very odd.

To be fair, it's usually not a consent letter. More like "proof of ties to home Country". Her spouse writing to say she will be back and won't overstay bla bla bla, like adding credibility to her application. Could also be an Employer. Most people just use it to show Mama has a living spouse back home that looks forward to her return. .. But I see your point.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:58pm On Feb 09, 2023
HollyMadison:
Hello elders,

Or

Oh, no! Not 4k! More like £100... If there's money in her account. If she has like N100k, then put £100 ish. Funding her account now is not advisable.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 1:23am On Feb 10, 2023
midasfx:
Please I need help booking my practical driving test. I keep seeing “no test found on any date” for all the test locations I’ve selected, is there a workaround for this?

Get on the website at 6am on Monday morning. You should see earlier dates then

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 1:38am On Feb 10, 2023
Santa2:

Get on the website at 6am on Monday morning. You should see earlier dates then

Thanks.

I’ll do that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:50am On Feb 10, 2023
donald197:
Elders in the house, based on your experience,please which is better btw HP and PCP in getting a car in the UK?

HP if you want to own the car after payment
PCP if you want to return the car after payment.

If you want to own the car after payment and go by the option of PCP, the final payment is usually huge.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:14am On Feb 10, 2023
donald197:

You have to decide, what is best for you ........

Viruses already stated the main difference...... But to add, after your PCP deal elapses, you can pick up another brand new car, rinse and repeat the process (you never fully own a PCP vehicle, unless you negotiate to buy vehicle (at a price the dealer would fix).........

With most PCP plans, all you need to do is add fuel (your PCP provider takes care of road tax, maintenance, wear & tyre to tyres insurance etc etc etc )

HP - You own the vehicle from the time you sign the contract, all vehicle cost/maintenance on your head ...........

Which is the best option ?? You decide what works for you ........

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 4:25am On Feb 10, 2023
Hello guys. If one switch from a 5 year sponsorship to a 3 year sponsorship. When do the dependants switch their visa? Is it before the 3 year sponsorship of the main applicant expires or they can continue using their visa for the 5 years duration they were given when the MA had 5 years sponsorship?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Agbekehorla(f): 8:38am On Feb 10, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

The girl can work at these eateries, McDonalds, Nandos or work as a customer support on site for Argos, TKMaxx and their type. I see mostly young people at all these places.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Agbekehorla(f): 8:43am On Feb 10, 2023
Another one. A friend's sister already has WAEC from Naija. How can she be integrated into the school system in the UK. What are the options please?.

Thank you for helping out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:34am On Feb 10, 2023
Agbekehorla:
Another one. A friend's sister already has WAEC from Naija. How can she be integrated into the school system in the UK. What are the options please?.

Thank you for helping out

She would need to go to college and do an access course, into the field she wants to progress into .........

This is one path, other ways are available.........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 11:19am On Feb 10, 2023
midasfx:

Firstly, choose any open date you see, then download Testi app(use the free one) and put all your information including your test date then activate alert to show you any cancelled date. Once you see a preferred cancel date, head up to DVSA site and book your practical driving test

15 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by triplo3: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2023
ukay2:
For CASH LISA account holders, do not forget to get the £4,000 into it to get the free 25% ((£1,000) by end of tax year in 5th April 2023. This could be used to deposit for your first mortgage house. Husband and wife less than 40 years could open this account and save upto £10,000 each tax year until both reach 50 years when you cannot save money in the LISA account.

For STOCK & SHARES ISA account holders, do not forget to max out the £20,000 allowance per tax year, 5th April, 2023. When you max out the £20k in stocks and shares ISA account, you can keep putting more funds in your General Investment Account.

There are so many stocks that are quite cheap in NYSE...you can cherry pick good dividend paying stocks with dividend yields upto 6-8%.

Remember that profits from stocks and share lSA account and dividend payments from your stocks and shares ISA account are not TAXABLE....tax man doesn't look into these earnings

Slow and steady win in the market....

HAPPY 2023.....

Please can you explain the bolded? A couple can earn 2K from 8K combined savings per tax year. How can this be ramped up to 10k quoted? Am I missing something?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 10, 2023
triplo3:

Please can you explain the bolded? A couple can earn 2K from 8K combined savings per tax year. How can this be ramped up to 10k quoted? Am I missing something?

10k is the total savings you'll have each financial year after depositing 4k each and getting the 2k bonus.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 12:04pm On Feb 10, 2023
Akorkor:

Firstly, choose any open date you see, then download Testi app(use the free one) and put all your information including your test date then activate alert to show you any cancelled date. Once you see a preferred cancel date, head up to DVSA site and book your practical driving test

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 2:31pm On Feb 10, 2023
Progressivegee:
Hello guys. If one switch from a 5 year sponsorship to a 3 year sponsorship. When do the dependants switch their visa? Is it before the 3 year sponsorship of the main applicant expires or they can continue using their visa for the 5 years duration they were given when the MA had 5 years sponsorship?

Any info on this guys
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by taif(f): 2:47pm On Feb 10, 2023
Hi elders, please I need a job around Middlesbrough or Hartlepool area, please,any connection or link will be appreciated.thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vintagee: 2:55pm On Feb 10, 2023
ukay2:
For CASH LISA account holders, do not forget to get the £4,000 into it to get the free 25% ((£1,000) by end of tax year in 5th April 2023. This could be used to deposit for your first mortgage house. Husband and wife less than 40 years could open this account and save upto £10,000 each tax year until both reach 50 years when you cannot save money in the LISA account.

For STOCK & SHARES ISA account holders, do not forget to max out the £20,000 allowance per tax year, 5th April, 2023. When you max out the £20k in stocks and shares ISA account, you can keep putting more funds in your General Investment Account.

There are so many stocks that are quite cheap in NYSE...you can cherry pick good dividend paying stocks with dividend yields upto 6-8%.

Remember that profits from stocks and share lSA account and dividend payments from your stocks and shares ISA account are not TAXABLE....tax man doesn't look into these earnings

Slow and steady win in the market....

HAPPY 2023.....

Must the account type be opened together by the couple? I will be 40 by August and my hubby is over 40, can only me open the LISA account before I clock 40 in August?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Agbekehorla(f): 3:25pm On Feb 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

She would need to go to college and do an access course, into the field she wants to progress into .........

This is one path, other ways are available.........

Thanks Oga Lexus.....pls hint on other ways too. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by veleta: 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2023
@Oga LexusG430, is road tax waved for you under PCP as I ve been paying mine for 2 years with Mercedes? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 4:20pm On Feb 10, 2023
Thank you boss
Lexusgs430:

You have to decide, what is best for you ........

Viruses already stated the main difference...... But to add, after your PCP deal elapses, you can pick up another brand new car, rinse and repeat the process (you never fully own a PCP vehicle, unless you negotiate to buy vehicle (at a price the dealer would fix).........

With most PCP plans, all you need to do is add fuel (your PCP provider takes care of road tax, maintenance, wear & tyre to tyres insurance etc etc etc )

HP - You own the vehicle from the time you sign the contract, all vehicle cost/maintenance on your head ...........

Which is the best option ?? You decide what works for you ........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 4:21pm On Feb 10, 2023
Noted

Viruses:

HP if you want to own the car after payment
PCP if you want to return the car after payment.

If you want to own the car after payment and go by the option of PCP, the final payment is usually huge.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 10, 2023
Vintagee:

Must the account type be opened together by the couple? I will be 40 by August and my hubby is over 40, can only me open the LISA account before I clock 40 in August?

No. It's a completely independent account just like a normal bank account. It's at the point of buying a house that you can combine it if you so wish. So you can open it and save money in it and if you want to buy a house you can withdraw and then use the money in it as part of your deposit as joint-applicants on the mortgage, just as you would savings from any other source.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.