Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,611 members, 7,823,662 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (847) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185192 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) (849) (850) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by payne4real(m): 12:42am On Feb 13, 2023
Please which will you suggest for a first time car owner in the uk?
Ralphlauren:

It depends on if you view a car as an appreciating or depreciating assest as well as the associated cost of maintenance including cost of spare parts.

HP - you are stuck with the car
PCP - you don't even need to wait till the end of the contract. You can go to another dealership, pick up a completely different car and they sort out your previous dealer.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:41am On Feb 13, 2023
payne4real:
Please which will you suggest for a first time car owner in the uk?

- How secure is your Job
- How comfortable are to subscribing to vehicle ownership
- Do you want to outrightly own the vehicle, after full payment is made
- Do you want to keep driving a new car, every 3 years (subject to deal )
- Do you fully understand both concepts of car ownership
- Have you weighed the consequences of a default
- Would you rather buy an older vehicle, for under £2000 (and pay cash)
- Once the nostalgia wears off, would you still be happy with your decision

Many more questions, but it's past my bedtime.......

At the end of the day, nobody can advice which option is BEST ...... Arm yourself with the conditions and make an informed decision............😁😂🤣

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/guides/pcp-vs-hp

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 1:41am On Feb 13, 2023
Meanwhile more and more students just came in this January.

The crux is UK is broke and needs our money.
koonbey:

Switching before completing the course is abusing the system. Of course people are free to do it as it's legal but it's clearly a huge problem as those people take up spaces and then abscond thereby leaving the unis out of pocket but also depriving other people who genuinely want to study of the space since the unis cannot recruit ad-hoc after admission cycles.

I had a chat with an entry officer on my way back in from a trip recently and it's clear people are aware that the route is being abused. I just hope when the remedy comes it won't be too strong a shift to restrictions and loss of the current opportunities, because I know people will start screaming racism or 'right-wing' even though what has been happening is not something that they would entertain in their own countries.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:35am On Feb 13, 2023
lavida001:

Did you say UK is broke or they have created a platform and charging over the odds, for people willing to tap into their investments ...........😁😂

How much does a home student pay in fees vs foreign students..........😜

Back in the days, home students did not a pay a dime..... Whilst foreign student paid over £15,000 per calender year ......... The Chinese students came in lorry loads, paying mega ........😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Fasasiidris: 6:24am On Feb 13, 2023
Mamatukwas:

Just renewed ours. What’s the question?

Please what are the mandatory documents requested from the home office and what are the thjngs that could possible affect.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:32am On Feb 13, 2023
lavida001:

If that is true then why are they trying to curtail number of foreign students coming in?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 6:51am On Feb 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

- How secure is your Job
- How comfortable are to subscribing to vehicle ownership
- Do you want to outrightly own the vehicle, after full payment is made
- Do you want to keep driving a new car, every 3 years (subject to deal )
- Do you fully understand both concepts of car ownership
- Have you weighed the consequences of a default
- Would you rather buy an older vehicle, for under £2000 (and pay cash)
- Once the nostalgia wears off, would you still be happy with your decision

Many more questions, but it's past my bedtime.......

At the end of the day, nobody can advice which option is BEST ...... Arm yourself with the conditions and make an informed decision............😁😂🤣

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/guides/pcp-vs-hp

Nostalgia wearing off got me laughing 😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by YoungG4life: 7:35am On Feb 13, 2023
Hello Guys

Please anyone in Scotland Kilmarnock East Ayrshire able and willing to assist me with accommodation will be appreciated I would be arriving on the 28th and need a place to stay or rent. 1 bedroom is my choice but a shared apartment for a start will be very fine by me please it's urgent I would appreciate any help.
P.S- I have no dependents.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:50am On Feb 13, 2023
ukay2:

Nostalgia wearing off got me laughing 😂

You know it's a lovely thing to drive a brand new car (tear rubber)........

For the 1st few month's, the car go dey shack person ......

After a few month's and almost £2000 already paid + other financial pressures joining that long queue.......

Would you still love that car ............😂😜

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adedoks(m): 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
Hi family,
Please I need clarity concerning IHS refund. I need answers and help. we are a family of 5 and we applied for IHS refund and it is now successful. and we will be refunded in 6 weeks.

but the card we used for the IHS payment was that of an agent in naija then. now the agent is claiming that she cannot refund the money when it is paid because she cant remember the card she used for the payment.

My question is can I tell the IHS REFUND TEAM that I want them to refund the money to another account.

please has anyone given IHS reimbursement team another account for the refund?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunpinky(m): 12:34pm On Feb 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

After a few month's and almost £2000 already paid + other financial pressures joining that long queue.......

Although I am based in Canada, what u have written here applies across board. From the short time I have spent in mapleland, I have come to realise that the major mistake most new immigrants make is financing a car. So many older immigrants have made that same mistake and they keep telling the newer immigrants not to make that same mistake but these pleas often falls on deaf ears. The adrenaline to drive a brand new car pushes a lot of immigrant into untold hardship.

To further buttress my point, in Canada as of today the average salary is $75k per annum which equates to 4K per month after taxes. The average 2021-2023 car costs approximately $800 per month coupled with insurance cost of $400 per month and fuelling costs of $300 per month. Before the twinkle of an eye, you are set back $1,500 per month because u want to drive a brand new car and show off to people that don’t care about what u drive.

I am preacher of the buy a older car cash down ($5k) and move on with ur life. 3 years down the line after u have gathered valuable investments (real estate, stocks, a biz) u can then buy the car of your choice.. This is the approach I have chosen, to each mallam his kettle😂

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tynnah: 2:05pm On Feb 13, 2023
Many thanks @hustla. I appreciate

hustla:

shocked
London? Its like the easiest place to get casual jobs

Tell the person to download Obair work app and send a mail to mauro@appetite4work.co.uk or vilina@appetite4work.co.uk. They deal mainly with Event jobs

Said person can also tweak CV for Indeed.com jobs wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:09pm On Feb 13, 2023
Tynnah:
Many thanks @hustla. I appreciate

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:12pm On Feb 13, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
seunpinky:

Although I am based in Canada, what u have written here applies across board. From the short time I have spent in mapleland, I have come to realise that the major mistake most new immigrants make is financing a car. So many older immigrants have made that same mistake and they keep telling the newer immigrants not to make that same mistake but these pleas often falls on deaf ears. The adrenaline to drive a brand new car pushes a lot of immigrant into untold hardship.

To further buttress my point, in Canada as of today the average salary is $75k per annum which equates to 4K per month after taxes. The average 2021-2023 car costs approximately $800 per month coupled with insurance cost of $400 per month and fuelling costs of $300 per month. Before the twinkle of an eye, you are set back $1,500 per month because u want to drive a brand new car and show off to people that don’t care about what u drive.

I am preacher of the buy a older car cash down ($5k) and move on with ur life. 3 years down the line after u have gathered valuable investments (real estate, stocks, a biz) u can then buy the car of your choice.. This is the approach I have chosen, to each mallam his kettle😂

Lots of people I came in with have gone to take £1,000 iPhones and cars and I'm just wondering why.

Took a Pixel at £89 trade in with my Pixel 5 and I don't have to take on additional payments on my small student income

To each his own, I guess

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 3:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
By default, refunds go to the account payment was made from. Though not all agents, however, some agents are notoriously notorious!
As regarding your question, you might want to give the IHS biz service team a chat
semmyk:
Kindly checkout Fatima04 previous link and image. All the best.
Email: nhsbsa.IHSreimbursements@nhs.net
Worth cc'ing: Ihsrefunds@homeoffice.gov.uk
Adedoks:
Hi family,
Please I need clarity concerning IHS refund. I need answers and help. we are a family of 5 and we applied for IHS refund and it is now successful. and we will be refunded in 6 weeks.
but the card we used for the IHS payment was that of an agent in naija then. now the agent is claiming that she cannot refund the money when it is paid because she cant remember the card she used for the payment.
My question is can I tell the IHS REFUND TEAM that I want them to refund the money to another account.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:09pm On Feb 13, 2023
seunpinky:

over sense de worry u grin grin
if you know you know.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

A friend l adviced to buy a car with his cash de way l bought mine and moved on refused and he de hear am now, na why l de laugh....nostalgia.... grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 4:21pm On Feb 13, 2023
Herbworks:

I’m currently sharing a double bed room with 3 others. As long as the manager of the shortlet approve of it no problem.

It’s better than sleeping in the cold

Pardon?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunpinky(m): 4:25pm On Feb 13, 2023
ukay2:

A friend l adviced to buy a car with his cash de way l bought mine and moved on refused and he de hear am now, na why l de laugh....nostalgia.... grin grin
[/b]
People no dey hear word, the pressure and quest to [b]appear
rich is putting people in unnecessary debts in the abroad.. They easily forget that a car is just an item to move u from point A to point B.

A car is not a status symbol abroad

A friend landed Canada some months ago and he was trying to convince me on why buying a car on financing is good. I asked him one simple question, if you were in Nigeria, would u be able to afford this car? He said No, I asked so why do u think u need it now. This was 2 months after he landed in Canada ooo.

Two key words are my mantra:
Delayed gratification
Budgeting

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 4:34pm On Feb 13, 2023
My two cent on this car buying. Car no be investment. Do not join bad wangon in buying and pay small small. Always check if you have chest for gbese and how much will remain in your income if all gbese are removed at the end of the month. As for me, I believe in pay once. Only thing I go do gbese for in this oyinbo land na House. A word is enough for the wise.

#Ire o

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:36pm On Feb 13, 2023
seunpinky:

People no dey hear word, the pressure and quest to appear rich is putting people in unnecessary debts in the abroad.. A friend landed Canada some months ago and he was trying to convince me on why buying a car on financing is good. I asked him one simple question, if you were in Nigeria, would u be able to afford this car? He said No, I asked so why do u think u need it now. This was 2 months after he landed in Canada ooo.

Delayed gratification
Budgeting

l de tell you....l asked the guy if he has maxed out his £20k ISA account for NYSE stocks as April is fast approaching and he said he has not opened the ISA account l told him to open since January 2022 and cannot save anything because of the car financing taking out £600 per month for the next 4 years. He has learnt his lessons (101)....

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 6:06pm On Feb 13, 2023
Adedoks:
Hi family,

No you can't.

Also I think you could have reached out to the agent first before requesting the refund.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 7:21pm On Feb 13, 2023
Thanks for this
seyejohn94:

Yes, it may be worth considering switching to a different type of account now that you are no longer a student. Student accounts often come with special features and benefits, such as interest-free overdrafts(1500 for Barclays) , which may not be available with regular current accounts. By switching to a different account, you may be able to find better features and benefits that are more suited to your current financial situation and needs. You can also contact their service center.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2023
seunpinky:

People no dey hear word, the pressure and quest to appear
rich is putting people in unnecessary debts in the abroad.. They easily forget that a car is just an item to move u from point A to point B.

A car is not a status symbol abroad

A friend landed Canada some months ago and he was trying to convince me on why buying a car on financing is good. I asked him one simple question, if you were in Nigeria, would u be able to afford this car? He said No, I asked so why do u think u need it now. This was 2 months after he landed in Canada ooo.

Delayed gratification
Budgeting
Totally agree with this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 8:25pm On Feb 13, 2023
ukay2:

l de tell you....l asked the guy if he has maxed out his £20k ISA account for NYSE stocks as April is fast approaching and he said he has not opened the ISA account l told him to open since January 2022 and cannot save anything because of the car financing taking out £600 per month for the next 4 years. He has learnt his lessons (101)....
@ the bolded.. Damnn!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:54pm On Feb 13, 2023
Ha 😳 why una go use agents for everything 🤷🏿‍♀️

Adedoks:
Hi family,

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
I've been wondering how they did it ooo cos left right center na so so iPhone 14 I de see with guys like how 😳 e con be like na only me de use Xiaomi 100 pounds fone 🤣🤣🤣

hustla:

Lots of people I came in with have gone to take £1,000 iPhones and cars and I'm just wondering why.

Took a Pixel at £89 trade in with my Pixel 5 and I don't have to take on additional payments on my small student income

To each his own, I guess

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by skace: 12:16am On Feb 14, 2023
[quote author=Ogbaba123 post=120411274]I'm in Scotland and mine unbelievably drove all the way from Manchester to get it done. Very nice man

https://babycircumcision.org.uk/

@Ogbaba123 Really!!!! How much did it cost to get it done please. I'm already on a wait list for another 2 months. I can't wait that long please. Baby will soon turn 1 month. Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Glasgow.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 12:46am On Feb 14, 2023
Hello Ancestors in the house,l am in the process of rebuilding my credit score.I learnt I can either use credit card or canopy app.Of this two which is more effective pls?

TIA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 12:55am On Feb 14, 2023
ukay2:

Can you tell me about this ISA and NYSE stocks thing or point me to where I can read and learn about it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:00am On Feb 14, 2023
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors in the house,l am in the process of rebuilding my credit score.I learnt I can either use credit card or canopy app.Of this two which is more effective pls?

TIA

Rebuilding credit is very different from building credit.........

What side of the divide are you ...........😉

(1) (2) (3) ... (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) (849) (850) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.