Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (897) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176058 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:23am On Mar 23, 2023
Teebaa:

Thank you very much. I do appreciate
However, i tend to have that passion you speak of for data analysis. I will apply that blue print you mentioned to it then

Great stuff. Sadly I have no knowledge on data Analyst stuffs. But one thing I can tell you is, if you ever get or see any job offer from any big company (not necessarily the big 4 as they call them in the UK, but companies with branches in other country or headquarters in the US), accept the offer even if their pay is low. These big companies spend lots of money on tools to do their work and in some cases pay strictly industry salary.

4 months with these companies can change your life as they will expose you to good tools in your field and help you gain good knowledge. They know how to purchase good tools with access to the tool company Univeristy library (access to free training for their staff who will be using the tools). So just go with the flow of their low pay, build yourself within 4 months, then make your move.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 12:56am On Mar 23, 2023
Good evening family!

How are we doing?

Please does anyone know any bookshop that majors in fairly new/ used Christian books in England, preferably East England or London? I want to build my Spiritual library again here without going the way of amazon.

I know in Naija, we usually see these books displayed on the floor at popular junctions and sell cheap too.

Biko help my life and my ministry.

Please oooo

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 5:40am On Mar 23, 2023
rinzylee:
Good evening family!

How are we doing?

Please does anyone know any bookshop that majors in fairly new/ used Christian books in England, preferably East England or London? I want to build my Spiritual library again here without going the way of amazon.

I know in Naija, we usually see these books displayed on the floor at popular junctions and sell cheap too.

Please oooo

Check Charity shops around you.

Usually between 50p (paperback) to Β£2 (hardcover)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ConnectMee: 8:45am On Mar 23, 2023
You can get them on Amazon. Both new and used books.

rinzylee:
Good evening family!

How are we doing?

Please oooo

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:49am On Mar 23, 2023
Try posting on Parenting in the UK thread https://www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant/22
Damdad:
Good evening all, I’m currently on tier 4 visa . My son started school in February but I want to take him back to Nigeria to stay with my mum . Is it okay to mail his school about this ? Or I have to go in person .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 8:51am On Mar 23, 2023
rayralph:

Check Charity shops around you.

Usually between 50p (paperback) to Β£2 (hardcover)

God bless you sir ooo... choi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 8:51am On Mar 23, 2023
ConnectMee:
You can get them on Amazon. Both new and used books.

Amazon wan rip me off. That's why I had to ask here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Idlovefur: 9:06am On Mar 23, 2023
Please which app is this so i can try it, i need an urgent loan, trying to repay someone that assisted with my japa and i feel so stuck as my salary isnt enough for the repayment.pls kindly assist if you know anywhere i can get a loan

Lexusgs430:

You would not get a study loan, from any financial institution.......

So your only choice is a personal loan....... Let's assume you request a personal loan of Β£10,000 * 2 (assuming it gets approved) ......

Think thoroughly about your repayment plans ..... Make you no go chop fish, with crazy bones ......😜🀣

NB : I just got a loan illustration..... On a Β£10,000 loan, over 36 month's........ No be small repayment o, assuming you require Β£20,000 ........πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:27am On Mar 23, 2023
Idlovefur:
Please which app is this so i can try it, i need an urgent loan, trying to repay someone that assisted with my japa and i feel so stuck as my salary isnt enough for the repayment.pls kindly assist if you know anywhere i can get a loan

Income is a key factor to lenders. You need to show that you can afford the loan. If you don’t have enough money to pay back your Nigerian sponsor, how then can you afford to repay the loan in UK?

Anyway, here is a loan eligibility calculator from Moneysavingexpert: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/loans-calculator/search/

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:55am On Mar 23, 2023
rinzylee:
Good evening family!

How are we doing?

Please oooo

Haven't you heard about the world's largest boot sale location, called eBay...........😜🀣

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:58am On Mar 23, 2023
Idlovefur:

If you cannot afford the loan, it's best to keep pleading than destroying your credit score........

Offer your japa financier, an installment payment plan .......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:03am On Mar 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Haven't you heard about the world's largest boot sale location, called eBay...........😜🀣

Sincerely I have never given eBay a thought o. I always classify it with Amazon.

Meanwhile, where person fit buy better T shirts and shirts, make we go bless family and friends for naija with. I hear say e get where I fit see them Β£2 better quality clothes?

Where be this boot market??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:05am On Mar 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Sincerely I have never given eBay a thought o. I always classify it with Amazon.

Meanwhile, where person fit buy better T shirts and shirts, make we go bless family and friends for naija with. I hear say e get where I fit see them Β£2 better quality clothes?

Have you checked out sportsdirect ........

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:08am On Mar 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you checked out sportsdirect ........

Ah sportsdirect na big man market nah.

I said 2 pounds o Oga Lexusgs430, no send me go village o

πŸ˜‰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:24am On Mar 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Choi....thank you o. EBay it is!!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dizora: 10:35am On Mar 23, 2023
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing all your experiences and suggestions on the matter of Cbap.
Can anyone tell me if there are available past questions on Cbap to help prepare for the exam and where and how I can get it.

Thank you.
A Friend in Need.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dizora: 10:39am On Mar 23, 2023
hi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Teebaa: 12:07pm On Mar 23, 2023
Chreze:

Great stuff. Sadly I have no knowledge on data Analyst stuffs. But one thing I can tell you is, if you ever get or see any job offer from any big company (not necessarily the big 4 as they call them in the UK, but companies with branches in other country or headquarters in the US), accept the offer even if their pay is low. These big companies spend lots of money on tools to do their work and in some cases pay strictly industry salary.

4 months with these companies can change your life as they will expose you to good tools in your field and help you gain good knowledge. They know how to purchase good tools with access to the tool company Univeristy library (access to free training for their staff who will be using the tools). So just go with the flow of their low pay, build yourself within 4 months, then make your move.

Good luck.
Thanks brosky. You too much... I got my eyes down for such offers

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TJ18(m): 1:32pm On Mar 23, 2023
mizGene:

Annual renewal. I didn't just automatically renew...gave them a call to update some info for the new year and then negotiated the price of over 800 they quoted me to just over 600. I still asked for more (as Olivia Twist πŸ˜€) but they were now asking if I had a better deal so they could match, I didn't (lowest quote I got was almost double Β£1400) so I took what was on the table.
I think having a history with them helped.

Did similar thing when renewing my insurance with Admiral last month. They gave me a quote which was even higher than my first year, I just sent them a mail that I will not be renewing, they automatically sent a new quote that was Β£200 lesser, then I started haggling, reduced my estimated mileage as the current one wasn't realistic based on my usage. I also noted that the cost of additional perks like roadside assistance, legal service, recovery etc was influencing the price, so I cancelled those perks. Instead, I got another quote from RAC for those additional services at a much lower price and with a free MOT.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:55pm On Mar 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Pep n co
Poundland

smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DaveChapelle: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Tilapia looking vehicle, like tinubu........πŸ˜‚

I have vexed.
I decided to go BMW

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluwaleokey: 6:47pm On Mar 23, 2023
Hello guys...
No be say I lazy o but overtime at work to meet up no allow person to read through from the beginning
The thread is so informative...

Like WhatsApp, are there starred pages with very vital information to avoid stupid questions and as well repeating answers over and over again

Like this now, nah only monzo account I get and have been operating with since
Please i want to open a regular bank account... don't know which to go for... read a little about nationwide and Halifax being good for mortgages, is this correct abi na which bank go make sense pass for every every?

I don't even know about this CC stuff until now... nawa o...
Any basic information on how to successfully progress nicely without issues in this youkay will highly be appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 6:53pm On Mar 23, 2023
Then I will ask you so you can clarify now. ☺️
Lexusgs430:

If I keep coming to your house, and switching one light off and turning on another........

Would/won't you start wandering what I am up to ..........πŸ˜‚πŸ€ͺ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 7:38pm On Mar 23, 2023
oluwaleokey:
Hello guys...
No be say I lazy o but overtime at work to meet up no allow person to read through from the beginning

Like WhatsApp, are there starred pages with very vital information to avoid stupid questions and as well repeating answers over and over again

Please i want to open a regular bank account... don't know which to go for... read a little about nationwide and Halifax being good for mortgages, is this correct abi na which bank go make sense pass for every every?

Any basic information on how to successfully progress nicely without issues in this youkay will highly be appreciated

Open an account with Barclays if you're concerned about mortgages in the short-mid term. The offerings from most banks are fairly similar and you can open more than one bank anyways, but try to keep your very first account in the country open even with any other account you choose to open alongside.

Still on the mortgage issue, if you're considering that soon, now is the time to open a LISA and start making contributions. More about LISA's here https://lifetimeisa.campaign.gov.uk/ and no, it's not public funds. Moneybox app would be easier to use here.

Use a credit card like a debit card, don't spend more than you can pay within a monthly cycle. Pay it all completely within the month, don't carry any balance over so you don't accrue interest. If you want to make big purchases and spread the payments over time, then maybe go for purchase credit cards with 0% interest for 12-18months though these are harder to get these days. You can use the Credit Karma app, to see your scores and cc offers.

Or you can get an American Express card, usually lower bar for approval than most others. If the spirit leads, you can use my ref https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dESMOEYJEX?XL=MIANS

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 8:11pm On Mar 23, 2023
oluwaleokey:
Hello guys...

All UK banks na basically the same.
The only difference is that some go give you better interest on their savings accounts than others.
Barclays is lousy in that area, NatWest has the highest linked savings rate of the high street banks.

Any bank/FI can give you a mortgage whether or not you have an account with them. Same with CCs , better educate yourself about what they are and how they function before you go collect lighter put for pocket.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluwaleokey: 8:55pm On Mar 23, 2023
kode12:

Open an account with Barclays if you're concerned about mortgages in the short-mid term. The offerings from most banks are fairly similar and you can open more than one bank anyways, but try to keep your very first account in the country open even with any other account you choose to open alongside.

Still on the mortgage issue, if you're considering that soon, now is the time to open a LISA and start making contributions. More about LISA's here https://lifetimeisa.campaign.gov.uk/ and no, it's not public funds. Moneybox app would be easier to use here.

Use a credit card like a debit card, don't spend more than you can pay within a monthly cycle. Pay it all completely within the month, don't carry any balance over so you don't accrue interest. If you want to make big purchases and spread the payments over time, then maybe go for purchase credit cards with 0% interest for 12-18months though these are harder to get these days. You can use the Credit Karma app, to see your scores and cc offers.

Or you can get an American Express card, usually lower bar for approval than most others. If the spirit leads, you can use my ref https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dESMOEYJEX?XL=MIANS

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluwaleokey: 8:55pm On Mar 23, 2023
MichaelUde:

All UK banks na basically the same.
The only difference is that some go give you better interest on their savings accounts than others.
Barclays is lousy in that area, NatWest has the highest linked savings rate of the high street banks.

Any bank/FI can give you a mortgage whether or not you have an account with them. Same with CCs , better educate yourself about what they are and how they function before you go collect lighter put for pocket.

Appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:20pm On Mar 23, 2023
AgentXxx:
Then I will ask you so you can clarify now. ☺️

Same way of credit referencing agencies, would be wandering what you're up to (thereby reducing your credit score).......😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:05pm On Mar 23, 2023
Does anyone have an idea on this?

If I take out insurance on provisional licence, will the price change (go up) if I get my full license few months later and update my record.

Currently I'm getting about Β£800 if I fill the form with my provisional licence, but if I change the license to full (other details remain the same) the price goes up to about Β£1,500. I'm yet to take my driving test.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 10:14pm On Mar 23, 2023
Check wobdotcom

rinzylee:
Good evening family!

How are we doing?

Please oooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.