Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (898) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200532 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 10:57pm On Mar 23, 2023
Viruses:
Does anyone have an idea on this?

If I take out insurance on provisional licence, will the price change (go up) if I up get my full license few months later and update my record.

Currently I'm getting about £800 if I fill the form with my provisional licence, but if I change the license to full (other details remain the same) the price goes up to about £1,500. I'm yet to take my driving test.

YES.
Your insurance premium goes UP (not down) when you move from Provisional to Full Licence.

The rations makes a lot of sense. As a provisional licence holder, you were less at risk of accidents. As a new full licence holder, the chances of accident becomes higher.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 11:10pm On Mar 23, 2023
BorisJohnson:

YES.
Your insurance premium goes UP (not down) when you move from Provisional to Full Licence.

The rations makes a lot of sense. As a provisional licence holder, you were less at risk of accidents. As a new full licence holder, the chances of accident becomes higher.

This is funny. Should it be that those with provisional would have high chances of accident rather than those with full licence who are thought to be a pro. Or am I missing something ni
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 11:17pm On Mar 23, 2023
slimanyd:

This is funny. Should it be that those with provisional would have high chances of accident rather than those with full licence who are thought to be a pro. Or am I missing something ni
This is why:

A provisional licence enables you to drive everywhere, except on motorways, as long as you're supervised by a suitable person.. . Driving without supervision could also invalidate any insurance and you could end up with extra points on your provisional licence for this, potentially resulting in a driving ban.

With a full license, you can do what you want, hence higher premium.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:27pm On Mar 23, 2023
Viruses:
Does anyone have an idea on this?

If I take out insurance on provisional licence, will the price change (go up) if I get my full license few months later and update my record.

Currently I'm getting about £800 if I fill the form with my provisional licence, but if I change the license to full (other details remain the same) the price goes up to about £1,500. I'm yet to take my driving test.
I started with intl, forgot to update to full until it was 2 weeks to renewal. My quoted price went down though a few things also changed like my address and a slight reduction in mileage.
But like ppl have said, the quotes I got from other providers were much higher than the ones I got last year when applying with provisional.
Modified...I started with Intl not provisional.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:29pm On Mar 23, 2023
Have you had your carrots today....... 🥕🥕🥕😜🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 11:44pm On Mar 23, 2023
tushqueen:

No, the only agreement was to live in the house for up to a full year, I lived year for more than 2years

Let me tell you what is going to happen;

- They will raise a dispute and appoint an independent adjudicator
- You will provide all your evidence with photos and so much shalaye
- The idiotic adjudicator will rule in their favour
- You will not get a penny and you will be pissed off for few days.

It happened to me few years ago, suffice to say I am still pissed off with them for chopping my £1500 deposit.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2023
donald197:
Check wobdotcom

Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Benwems(m): 2:11am On Mar 24, 2023
How much does it cost to renew Nigerian passport in UK and how long does it it take. Basically, I need the cost and procedures. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by abuhusna1: 2:33am On Mar 24, 2023
Damdad:
Good evening all, I’m currently on tier 4 visa . My son started school in February but I want to take him back to Nigeria to stay with my mum . Is it okay to mail his school about this ? Or I have to go in person .
Go to their reception and let them know your plan if not they will disturb you for the children whereabouts the moment they stop coming to school. Same happened to me when I moved my kids from aberdeen to london without informing the school. They called me everyday and asked to know when the children will start school else they will report me to police now al is sorted the children now in school in london

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 3:18am On Mar 24, 2023
davide470:
This is why:

A provisional licence enables you to drive everywhere, except on motorways, as long as you're supervised by a suitable person.. . Driving without supervision could also invalidate any insurance and you could end up with extra points on your provisional licence for this, potentially resulting in a driving ban.

With a full license, you can do what you want, hence higher premium.

Oh. Understood
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 6:44am On Mar 24, 2023
Morning to the elders.
I beg na who get link because our 9ja embassy for London Don dey serve me breakfast.
I did passport capturing Third week of January. Collection was March 22nd but as at March 15th, I waka go the embassy, to my surprise they just cari my application for one corner.
Other applicant wey do after me don even see their passport.
Those their staff at entrance of the 9ja high commission aren't helpful, they won't allow you to enter to speak to their staffs sef to know the update on the application, I Don call and email tire.
They don ruin my Easter trip.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:47am On Mar 24, 2023
oluwaleokey:
... ...
Please i want to open a regular bank account... don't know which to go for... read a little about nationwide and Halifax being good for mortgages, is this correct abi na which bank go make sense pass for every every?
... ...
kode12:
Open an account with Barclays if you're concerned about mortgages in the short-mid term. The offerings from most banks are fairly similar and you can open more than one bank anyways, but try to keep your very first account in the country open even with any other account you choose to open alongside.

Still on the mortgage issue, if you're considering that soon, now is the time to open a LISA and start making contributions. More about LISA's here https://lifetimeisa.campaign.gov.uk/ and no, it's not public funds. Moneybox app would be easier to use here.
... ...
Read more on properties and mortgage in the UK on this thread - https://www.nairaland.com/7534564/living-uk-propertymortgage-related
Slide tackle in to LISA before you're 40 and score as much as you can before 50. That is if you're not 40 already.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 7:00am On Mar 24, 2023
Omotaday:
It is safer if you can open coinbase, send your USDT there, sell it to coinbase and withdraw your fund inside monzo or revolut, then send to your Lloyds bank account. I have been doing this for months without issue

Morning boss. Did u open ur coinbase wallet when u landed in UK or when u were still in Nigeria and would u suggest one to use the UK address or the Nigeria address . Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 7:44am On Mar 24, 2023
mizGene:

I started with provisional, forgot to update to full until it was 2 weeks to renewal. My quoted price went down though a few things also changed like my address and a slight reduction in mileage.
But like ppl have said, the quotes I got from other providers were much higher than the ones I got last year when applying with provisional.

What I noticed about the price is that if you've had your provisional more than 1yr and you just had you full licence, the the price of the provisional licence will be cheaper than the full licence. If you wait till more than 6months before updating your full licence, then the price could reduce. (I might not be totally right)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 7:54am On Mar 24, 2023
Phayie:

What I noticed about the price is that if you've had your provisional more than 1yr and you just had you full licence, the the price of the provisional licence will be cheaper than the full licence. If you wait till more than 6months before updating your full licence, then the price could reduce. (I might not be totally right)

What insurance will you be on for those 6 ‘extra’ months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:28am On Mar 24, 2023
Phayie:

Actually now I remember I got my previous insurance on my Nigerian license not my provisional!
Not sure if that made a difference..

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:54am On Mar 24, 2023
Benwems:
How much does it cost to renew Nigerian passport in UK and how long does it it take. Basically, I need the cost and procedures. Thank you.

Co ask

Also if one can do it or book an appointment months before it expires

Mine expires in Jan
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 11:54am On Mar 24, 2023
Controlv:

@ Lexusgs430
No, I have neither accept nor sign the new agreement. I did point out the inconsistency in the tenancy expiry but I don't know his intentions for ignoring that part. Here's a screenshot of my inititail response to him:

And he responded thus:

"Thank you for reply and I appreciate all of the points raised.

I have spoken to the owners for you and while they were obviously hoping to get a higher rent they will accept your offer. I will send you out a new tenancy agreement very shortly to sign."

Thank you everyone for your assistance on this matter. I later messaged the letting agent asking him how he came about the 4th May tenancy end date. He responded this morning as follows:

"I have to admit I am not sure what happened with the dates but this landlord does only want fixed term tenancies moving forward so we would either need to sign a new fixed term agreement or they would look to relet the property unfortunately.

We could potentially do a 12 month agreement with a 6 month break clause if that would be more suitable for you?"

I have asked him to proceed with the 12 month fixed term agreement effective 4th April with a 6 months break clause.

It is also good to know that we can negotiate our vehicle insurance premium 😉. Nairaland rocks.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bluebella(m): 12:15pm On Mar 24, 2023
Good day elders,
Please for those that have applied for IHS refund.
My spouse has worked in the Health care industry for the past one year and about to apply for the IHS refund.
Can she include the children as well? (knowing that the children dont have payslips to show)?

Thanks in advance for the responses cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:27pm On Mar 24, 2023
Controlv:

Thank you everyone for your assistance on this matter. I later messaged the letting agent asking him how he came about the 4th May tenancy end date. He responded this morning as follows:

"I have to admit I am not sure what happened with the dates but this landlord does only want fixed term tenancies moving forward so we would either need to sign a new fixed term agreement or they would look to relet the property unfortunately.

We could potentially do a 12 month agreement with a 6 month break clause if that would be more suitable for you?"

I have asked him to proceed with the 12 month fixed term agreement effective 4th April with a 6 months break clause.

It is also good to know that we can negotiate our vehicle insurance premium 😉. Nairaland rocks.

Are you in a more comfortable position now .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Are you in a more comfortable position now .......

Well, I think 6 months is more reasonable compared to the 12 months he proposed earlier. Although I would have preferred to remain on the periodic tenancy because it gives me the flexibility to move given that I'm actively looking for a full-time job.

The contents of the revised agreement will determine if I am now comfortable or not 😀😀. Thanks for your help always.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2023
I received a whatsapp message, from one of us here.....

He said my rent mantra (RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY)...... Did not mean so much to him...... Until.....

His rent is currently is £1350.00 pcm (3 bedroom house) ....... He came across his Landlord's letter, from mortgage provider.......

The mortgage on the property is £355.47 pcm ......

After the cost of building insurance, LL is relaxing on almost £1000 pcm (What a return on investment)......

If you want your LL to keep doing dorime with your money.......... Keep renting, don't buy .......

RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY.........

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oakande: 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Card ...... I meant.....

Got you bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 2:47pm On Mar 24, 2023
Shey dem no know say 200£ and 175£ switching bonus Dey ni. If they observe the trend, they shouldn’t wonder too much 😝. For now those 200£ are more important than their yeye scores. Make I Dey enjoy Dey go
Lexusgs430:

Same way of credit referencing agencies, would be wandering what you're up to (thereby reducing your credit score).......😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2023
Raw onions works better 😝 . Hope the test can be taken with glasses? No lele if yes
Lexusgs430:
Have you had your carrots today....... 🥕🥕🥕😜🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 4:36pm On Mar 24, 2023
This is so heartbreaking. COS or CAS are your options now.

Could you please tell us the name of your school?

Maureen4sure:
My dear fellow Nairalander,

Greetings to everyone.

My name is Maureen.

This is my story; please, I need every little advice and suggestion.

I've been in the UK since January of last year on a student visa.

To get straight to the point, I failed one of my modules and also failed to resit, all not due to my fault.

My school app was locked due to a school fee delay from Form A; it took over 3 months before school accounts were created, and the resit was scheduled within the period school app was locked, which makes me miss the rest.

I talked to my module leader, and he said there was nothing he could do since I missed the resit. I went for an appeal, and they also said there was nothing that could be done.

I received a shocker two days ago, I received an email from the school visa and immigration department saying,

"Our records show that you are out of academic opportunities for one of your modules, and this therefore means you may not graduate with your full award and instead, upon successful completion of your remaining modules, you would be awarded a lower-level qualification than that which you were originally expected to achieve, You should note that in this event, this would mean that you are likely to be ineligible to apply for the Graduate Route Visa if you wished to do so. ''

I also received an email this morning from my module leader saying that I will be awarded a postgraduate diploma instead of a master's degree.

I have cried and cried my eyes out, I know I have disappointed my husband, who works tirelessly every day and night. He works in a warehouse and also as a security guard. For me to be able to get to this stage of my life,he has been there for me every day.

He has been down with this news for the last few days.

I will be submitting my dissertation by April, so I will be officially finished with school.

Please, where do I go from here?

I am a caregiver, and I have been for a year now. Getting COS from most care homes as a student has not been easy.

Hopefully, after submitting my dissertation, I can get a care home that can sponsor me.

It seems that's the only way out for me and my family now.

Please, house, I will need any other suggestions.

Thank you for your contributions.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 5:23pm On Mar 24, 2023
AgentXxx:
Shey dem no know say 200£ and 175£ switching bonus Dey ni. If they observe the trend, they shouldn’t wonder too much 😝. For now those 200£ are more important than their yeye scores. Make I Dey enjoy Dey go

Abeg which bank is given £175 for switching
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2023
Random thought, is it possible to get someone in Nigeria to open a Netflix account for me and send the password to me here as it seems paying from Naija is cheaper. Will the IP address betray me ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:18pm On Mar 24, 2023
mex551:
Random thought, is it possible to get someone in Nigeria to open a Netflix account for me and send the password to me here as it seems paying from Naija is cheaper. Will the IP address betray me ?

No, it won't betray you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 6:30pm On Mar 24, 2023
hustla:

No, it won't betray you
thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 6:43pm On Mar 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:
I received a whatsapp message, from one of us here.....

He said my rent mantra (RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY)...... Did not mean so much to him...... Until.....

His rent is currently is £1350.00 pcm (3 bedroom house) ....... He came across his Landlord's letter, from mortgage provider.......

The mortgage on the property is £355.47 pcm ......

After the cost of building insurance, LL is relaxing on almost £1000 pcm (What a return on investment)......

If you want your LL to keep doing dorime with your money.......... Keep renting, don't buy .......

RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY.........

Chai…. We’ve been discussing this with my husband oh….

Our biggest issue is raising deposit for our own place. It’s tough.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.