Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (938) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177518 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) (940) (941) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 11:22am On Apr 15, 2023
You asked this on 14 Apr without a response. Not saying that's what it is, but it might be because people are busy and expect you to search or browse through the thread.
PS: tier 2 has 'metamorphise' to skilled worker.
lightofjoy:

Pls for a student whose dependent gets a tier 2 sponsorship just 3 months into the program and of which he definitely switch with the dependant. Can the student work full time now with the new tier 2 dependant visa?. Hope no issue for the student during ILR, pls anyone who has experience this, kindly share experience.
TL;DR: the student is now a dependent of a skilled worker and they're entitled to work and study.
The following, among many, might throw light
[Page 750]
semmyk:
... ...
Simple response: dependent have right to work.
... ...
[Page 728]
koonbey:
Yes. As a dependent you have unlimited right to work any job/any skill level including self employment and voluntary work, (except the usual restrictions on working as a doctor or dentist in training or as a professional sportsperson/coach).
semmyk:
While the Elders pronounce, let's quickly chip in. One would have thought that the info is straightforward. However, typical, the gov.uk is 'silence'!!! https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/your-partner-and-children

No. They don't need sponsorship.
No. They must have their 'right endorsed' in their BRB. This is straightforward and by default.
Yes. It is okay they click on eligible to work.

Official position: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1098055/Dependent_family_members_in_work_routes.pdf
[UPDATED]
Link: What your partner or child can and cannot do
Your partner or child can:
- work, except as a sportsperson or coach
- study
- travel abroad and return to the UK
- apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as β€˜indefinite leave to remain’) if they’ve lived in the UK for 5 years and meet the other eligibility requirements
- They cannot apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension.
NB: always check update on the YouKay gov site. Too many rule changes happen!!

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 11:27am On Apr 15, 2023
I think OP was not clear enough with their kweshion.
Make OP clarify better for us jare.
I, however, have a hunch that OP, as a student on student visa, want to change to dependent of a skilled worker. By doing so OP would want to continue to study and as the same time do (all type of) job without restrictions!
Lexusgs430:
2 visa status, cannot run concurrently...... Is this student, going to abandon their education.......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 11:31am On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What's your age bracket.......

Are you submitting a holiday letter from your employer........

Is your employer a blue chip, red chip or mushroom......😁

Was your savings account, built up or loaded instantly......

What are your ties to Nigeria.........

NB : None of us can give you a firm guarantee..... We don't conduct miracles.......😊

You earn £950 in 31 days ....... And want to blow £800 in 4 days (not yet considering flight cost + other logistics)....... Miracle no dey tire Jesus o......😜

Inasmuch as the bolded is true, still nothing is impossible.
Just make sure in whatever you do, that you put strong home ties.
I suggest Apply like you have everything (with evidence tho), and make sure you clear their doubts that whatever you are going to do in the YouKay for only 4days cannot be done from here in Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:32am On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:
I think OP was not clear enough with their kweshion.
Make OP clarify better for us jare.
I, however, have a hunch that OP, as a student on student visa, want to change to dependent of a skilled worker. By doing so OP would want to continue to study and as the same time do (all type of) job without restrictions!

Are you saying OP, wants to have their cake, eat it and shove the remaining in the fridge .........πŸ˜­πŸ˜‚

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:34am On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:
You asked this on 14 Apr without a response. Not saying that's what it is, but it might be because people are busy and expect you to search or browse through the thread.
PS: tier 2 has 'metamorphise' to skilled worker.

TL;DR: the student is now a dependent of a skilled worker and there entitled to work and study.
The follow, among many might throw light
[Page 750]

[Page 728]

Are you saying the student can still attend lectures, with the new visa dispensation.........

So the new visa cancels the old, allowing OP to work till OP drops, whilst a student........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 11:44am On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Are you saying the student can still attend lectures, with the new visa dispensation.........
So the new visa cancels the old, allowing OP to work till OP drops, whilst a student........
The tin b say, OP no come clear for im ibere
Well, Apparently and obviously, there has to be a SIM swap, oops visa swap otherwise nay mistaken identity πŸ†” go happen 🀭🀐
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 11:47am On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

2 visa status, cannot run concurrently...... Is this student, going to abandon their education.......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

Well... he definitely will not be denied dependent visa if s/he applies.
What happened with the education after getting the visa might be determined by their financial circumstances.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 11:59am On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:
Y

[UPDATED]
Link: What your partner or child can and cannot do
Your partner or child can:
- work, except as a sportsperson or coach
- study
- travel abroad and return to the UK
- apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as β€˜indefinite leave to remain’) if they’ve lived in the UK for 5 years and meet the other eligibility requirements
- They cannot apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension.
NB: always check update on the YouKay gov site. Too many rule changes happen!!

I once asked about this particular one; the bolded.

Let me rephrase it; If a dependent comes in few months before the MA clocks 1 year on a supposed 3years Visa of MA, when they re-applies for extension and the MA now wants to apply for ILR because s/he has clocked 5years in the country, will the dependent that is yet to reach 5years on the calender benefits from the ILR outcome?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:07pm On Apr 15, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

Well... he definitely will not be denied dependent visa if s/he applies.
What happened with the education after getting the visa might be determined by their financial circumstances.

Very true ...... But OP still hopes/wants to attend lectures and work till OP drops ........πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:09pm On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:

The tin b say, OP no come clear for im ibere
Well, Apparently and obviously, there has to be a SIM swap, oops visa swap otherwise nay mistaken identity πŸ†” go happen 🀭🀐

So let's say we have a hot swap....... OP cannot be a student + worker (at the same time)......😭

This is what OP wants......😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 12:20pm On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Very true ...... But OP still hopes/wants to attend lectures and work till OP drops ........πŸ˜‚
You definitely have to mentor the OP then, school in the morning, hustle at night. Rumour has it that for 25years you see exactly what them owl are seeing too πŸ˜€.

Avoid daylight activities like them Vamps...(ah!!! Weting my brain dey think πŸ€” fa?)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 12:34pm On Apr 15, 2023
MA has now spend 5 yrs in the YouKay on the Skilled Worker visa, now want to apply for ILR (not earlier than 28 days B4 clocking 5yrs).
The MA would proceed with their ILR. Dependent will continue to renew their dependent visa.
The following year, the dependent now clocking 5 yrs and having not breached the 180days out of the UK clause, will be eligible for ILR.
Though not reading in 'plain' English, YouKay gov got you covered: https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-family/partner-dependant-work-visa
DoDirtsLikeWorm:
Let me rephrase it; If a dependent comes in few months before the MA clocks 1 year on a supposed 3years Visa of MA, when they re-applies for extension and the MA now wants to apply for ILR because s/he has clocked 5years in the country, will the dependent that is yet to reach 5years on the calender benefits from the ILR outcome?
Link: Oxford got a 'simple' explanation. Kinda straightforward

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If you check vehicle status, with https://www.carvertical.com/gb

You would see post accident pictures (in most cases) .........😜

The crash on my daughter's car, was very minimal fender damage....... 😁

CAT A – Scrap only
CAT B – Break for parts
CAT S – Structurally damaged but repairable
CAT N – Not structurally damaged, repairable

Thanks ..... so no more Cat D and C .
Good information although I won't personally buy one again

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:
MA has now spend 5 yrs in the YouKay on the Skilled Worker visa, now want to apply for ILR (not earlier than 28 days B4 clocking 5yrs).
The MA would proceed with their ILR. Dependent will continue to renew their dependent visa.
The following year, the dependent now clocking 5 yrs and having not breached the 180days out of the UK clause, will be eligible for ILR.
Though not reading in 'plain' English, YouKay gov got you covered: https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-family/partner-dependant-work-visa

Wait ooo.... are they saying the children self cannot get ILR until both parents. This not fair if the other parent choose not to stay in UK. That means the kids won't get ILR?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

Only the main applicant can apply for ILR at the point. There is another visa I forget the name maybe leave to remain that is for 3 years. The dependent will apply for that and then after 1 years into the 3 years or when he or she complete the 5 years can then apply for ILR

Meaning MA and dependent will get their ILR separately at different times frame . Once each person has done 5 years

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2023
lightofjoy:

Pls for a student whose dependent gets a tier 2 sponsorship just 3 months into the program and of which he definitely switch with the dependant. Can the student work full time now with the new tier 2 dependant visa?. Hope no issue for the student during ILR, pls anyone who has experience this, kindly share experience.

Yes if you have switched to tier 2 dependent you can work full time and attend school ... it is allowed

But the reality of combining the two no go easy but if you can cope you are good to go

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 2:29pm On Apr 15, 2023
semmyk:

Thanks Onye'm πŸ«‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 3:01pm On Apr 15, 2023
lightofjoy:

No issues, the 20hours work rule is not meant for all students, but for those on Student visa. Once you've switched your visa you are no longer bound by the student visa rule, however you will be bound by the dependent visa rule which will probably be something like "restricted work and no recourse to public fund"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2023
Jlaw1:

@Koonbey,

I also initially felt some doubt about the veracity of the story. And while I still don't know the full story, the core issue raised about the story is NOT fake at all.

Hakimi did indeed put all his assets and/or money in his mum's name. This was discovered by his wife during their divorce proceedings, when she requested for half of his assets and/or fortune.

Check out the attached screenshot from WIKIPEDIA (particularly the last paragraph/sentence).

PS: I like your skeptical view about the accuracy of this story (especially since we still don't know the full picture of the story), but it's safer and wiser to do one's research before going as far as labelling a piece of news to be fake.

Wikipedia? Lol. Did you actually check the cited sources? I did.

I normally wouldn't respond but for the bolded. I want to make sure I remember to reply later. I'm sure there'll be proper fact checks published soon and then I'll quote you so you'll see that in reality it's safer and wiser to not believe information until credible evidence is provided, no matter how viral it goes.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2023
Guys please can someone explain what rqf and nvq is.

1) are they both same thing?

2) is rqf or nvq for people in care roles or hca only? Because why do people with nvq 6 or above earn more than a masters degree holder doing the same care work in same office even when online it is said that masters degree is an equivalent of nvq 7?

3) how could someone get these nvq and rqf certs?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hclinton: 3:59pm On Apr 15, 2023
Thanks so much for the detail responses, the issue is the MA has only one semester to complete the course but since the dependent has sponsorship offer, the MA want to switch to dependent visa on 3 years skilled visa and thereafter work full time and as well complete the last semester.
That why the question so as benefit from the experience fellow in the house. Thanks a lot.
heroshark:

No issues, the 20hours work rule is not meant for all students, but for those on Student visa. Once you've switched your visa you are no longer bound by the student visa rule, however you will be bound by the dependent visa rule which will probably be something like "restricted work and no recourse to public fund"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightofjoy(m): 4:42pm On Apr 15, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2023
koonbey:

Wikipedia? Lol. Did you actually check the cited sources? I did.

I normally wouldn't respond but for the bolded. I want to make sure I remember to reply later. I'm sure there'll be proper fact checks published soon and then I'll quote you so you'll see that in reality it's safer and wiser to not believe information until credible evidence is provided, no matter how viral it goes.

@Koonbey,

Your reply is appreciated.

This response you just gave further proves my point i.e DON'T call a piece of news fake until proper research (or 'fact check' as you call it) has been done.

Like to I wrote earlier, we still don't know what the complete story is. We will have to wait to find out.

But what we do KNOW at this point is that Achraf Hakimi's assets and/or money are in his mum's name, which was made known to his wife during their divorce proceedings. This has been reported by MARCA (Spain's National Daily Sport Newspaper) and other news sources in France and Morroco. It is also on WIKIPEDIA.

If you choose to remain skeptical about its accuracy, that is well within your rights. But it is NOT correct for you to go as far as labelling it to be fake, before providing credible evidence (which you don't have by the way).

PS: But I do share your point of view that not all viral news are always accurate/correct.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:14pm On Apr 15, 2023
solveabode:

Thank you. Have downloaded Moneybox. The minimum initial deposit I saw is Β£1000.

Also, the monthly direct debit, if I agree to be debited Β£150 every month, can I pay above the Β£150 in a month that I have the capacity?

Nope, minimum one-off deposit is Β£100 while minimum weekly debit is Β£1. You can pay as much as you have left of the max annual cap of Β£4k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 7:04pm On Apr 15, 2023
Lazy Journalists?

You could establish your point without taking a jab at Journalists in Nigeria.

I hope you're not categorising bloggers as journalists?

Just to say some of these "lazy Nigerian journalists" are trailblazers across the world in major newsrooms and media outlets.

koonbey:

It's fake that's why you're only seeing it on IG gossip pages and rubbish blogs (mostly from Nigeria where we have lazy 'journalists'). 😳

Also, that's not how the law works. I know - I'm not guessing.

There are many factors that make such a scheme impractical from a corporate law and tax law standpoint. If it was that easy why would everyone not just gift out their properties before a divorce?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 7:22pm On Apr 15, 2023
Jlaw1:

@Koonbey,

Your reply is appreciated.

This response you just gave further proves my point i.e DON'T call a piece of news fake until proper research (or 'fact check' as you call it) has been done.

Like to I wrote earlier, we still don't know what the complete story is. We will have to wait to find out.

But what we do KNOW at this point is that Achraf Hakimi's assets and/or money are in his mum's name, which was made known to his wife during their divorce proceedings. This has been reported by MARCA (Spain's National Daily Sport Newspaper) and other news sources in France and Morroco. It is also on WIKIPEDIA.

If you choose to remain skeptical about its accuracy, that is well within your rights. But it is NOT correct for you to go as far as labelling it to be fake, before providing credible evidence (which you don't have by the way).

PS: But I do share your point of view that not all viral news are always accurate/correct.

Make una leave that doubting Thomas; Koonbey, seems he drives joy seeing full grown men rendered useless all in the name of marriage through Financial Banditry. It happened to Emmanuel Ebue and he turned homeless in London.
Table might as well be turning in this matter shaa...

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 7:25pm On Apr 15, 2023
heroshark:

This I heard only affects the MA directly, or else in terms of Sports or Doctor(medical practitioner) that's where dependent gets involved.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:36pm On Apr 15, 2023
Still valid for those hustling in our youkay cheesy

bigtt76:
Many are afraid to borrow because of the experiences back home where you are hassled if you default paying or the shame you are put through. With CC it is different... You repay what you spend at a fraction of it (if that works for you) or you pay in full. But I agree with you, if you are not financially literate enough to understand the advantages or disadvantages of owing a CC, it's best you get educated on it than be sorry for it later on. Life here can be better if on CC.

Having said this, if you ever decide to give it a try, you can start here with my AMEX referral

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNMNS

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2023
eniola1010:
Guys please can someone explain what rqf and nvq is.

1) are they both same thing?

2) is rqf or nvq for people in care roles or hca only? Because why do people with nvq 6 or above earn more than a masters degree holder doing the same care work in same office even when online it is said that masters degree is an equivalent of nvq 7?

3) how could someone get these nvq and rqf certs?

Abeg make person help us shed light
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bmuhd4smile: 8:56pm On Apr 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Go france, then use canoe paddle through the English channel....... Na wetin dey rain now b dat o......😜🀣

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 12:00am On Apr 16, 2023
Hi everyone,

Please is commercial traveling insurance option the same as hire and reward? Trying to get a quote on confused.com regarding a quote for Uber driving.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 12:13am On Apr 16, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

This I heard only affects the MA directly, or else in terms of Sports or Doctor(medical practitioner) that's where dependent gets involved.
Tier 2 dependents still have restricted work written on their brps.. and the doctor/dentist caveat has been removed for about 2 years or so now

(1) (2) (3) ... (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) (940) (941) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.