Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (970) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179121 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:26pm On May 02, 2023
bigtt76:
I started preparing for this long before I filled out my first application to the university. I followed every thread relating to studying and living in the UK, discussions online relating to how to survive as a student and transition from being one.

On arrival in the UK I needed a bank card to kickstart my activities, my first was Monese and they delivered within 4 days. Next I opened Revolut cos it was a popular option and they too delivered within same period. Monzo had bounced me because of this credit score check and Starling bank stalled (funny enough conventional banks also check when trying to open an account with them). I got all my cards where I was temporarily staying.

During the same period, I enrolled to vote, applied for my provisional driving license (required as proof of address in place of utility bills). Next I applied for my NI and started life. I also opened a conventional bank account during this period.

I stumbled on the AMEX card referral link here and applied, it kept bouncing and requesting for my documents (BRP, Passport and liveliness check). Then one day I got a call and boom it was approved and I got my card delivered.

Along the line I also got bounced by several landlords on the pretence that I don't have credit history and that was when I got the ginger to start Loqbox. I finally secured my student accommodation and contract SIM card which I placed on direct debit and standing order. Then I applied to start reporting my rent using Credit Ladder and Loqbox.

I gained a lot of insight from this thread and the other one for students. I remain grateful to all here and my advise to those new and those thinking of making the move over here to hit road with their financial planning immediately on arrival, no waste time be intentional about your plans. I know a lot of my mates here (and those who came here before me) that haven't registered to be on electoral roll, applied for a provisional license and or start building their credit history because they don't know the process or never thought of it or afraid of anything credit. 😂

Just to add, when I moved I also applied to change my addresses on the drivers license and my bank accounts. It was seamless. I used Royal Mail to redirect my mails from where I previously lived to my new place.

Shalom... Don't forget to use my referral links so I get small bonus 😘😘😘

Everything you said resonates with me. I followed this thread like a bible long before I came into the Uk. I recall sometime ago when someone shared a screenshot their credit score that was excellent, I was wondering when I go near like this as I was hovering around the 600s. I am not yet on excellent but ee don waka small.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vintagee: 12:42pm On May 02, 2023
Please help, I am trying to open moneybox LISA. which option do I select here?

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:45pm On May 02, 2023
Can somebody help me the link of company that ships stuff from Abuja to the UK?

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iyatrustee(f): 1:03pm On May 02, 2023
justwise:

Thank you

www.shiptonaija.com

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 02, 2023
bigtt76:
I started preparing for this long before I filled out my first application to the university. I followed every thread relating to studying and living in the UK, discussions online relating to how to survive as a student and transition from being one.

On arrival in the UK I needed a bank card to kickstart my activities, my first was Monese and they delivered within 4 days. Next I opened Revolut cos it was a popular option and they too delivered within same period. Monzo had bounced me because of this credit score check and Starling bank stalled (funny enough conventional banks also check when trying to open an account with them). I got all my cards where I was temporarily staying.

During the same period, I enrolled to vote, applied for my provisional driving license (required as proof of address in place of utility bills). Next I applied for my NI and started life. I also opened a conventional bank account during this period.

I stumbled on the AMEX card referral link here and applied, it kept bouncing and requesting for my documents (BRP, Passport and liveliness check). Then one day I got a call and boom it was approved and I got my card delivered.

Along the line I also got bounced by several landlords on the pretence that I don't have credit history and that was when I got the ginger to start Loqbox. I finally secured my student accommodation and contract SIM card which I placed on direct debit and standing order. Then I applied to start reporting my rent using Credit Ladder and Loqbox.

I gained a lot of insight from this thread and the other one for students. I remain grateful to all here and my advise to those new and those thinking of making the move over here to hit road with their financial planning immediately on arrival, no waste time be intentional about your plans. I know a lot of my mates here (and those who came here before me) that haven't registered to be on electoral roll, applied for a provisional license and or start building their credit history because they don't know the process or never thought of it or afraid of anything credit. 😂

Just to add, when I moved I also applied to change my addresses on the drivers license and my bank accounts. It was seamless. I used Royal Mail to redirect my mails from where I previously lived to my new place.

Shalom... Don't forget to use my referral links so I get small bonus 😘😘😘

You got your first credit card 2 weeks after arriving? Which card was that?

And it was within this 2 weeks that you applied and got your NI, provisional driving license, and enrolled to vote, and it reflected in your credit file?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:44pm On May 02, 2023
1. I got AMEX CC (I applied 16th October 2022 and got approved 22 October 2022)
2. I applied for my provisional license on arrival here in the UK ...back and forth with them (filling the forms and submitting my BRP) all too two weeks but for the Royal Post strike, delayed by another two weeks.
3. I got listed on the electoral roll formally December 1 2022 which was the nearest register update period they observe
4. I applied for my NI same day as my provisional license and it was issued 27th October 2022 (I arrived UK 10 October 2022)
5. First transaction recorded on credit file November 2022

koonbey:

You got your first credit card 2 weeks after arriving? Which card was that?

And it was within this 2 weeks that you applied and got your NI, provisional driving license, and enrolled to vote, and it reflected in your credit file?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:46pm On May 02, 2023
Wow! Nice one. Yes oo...it pays to be intentional about your journey and NL has been an amazing platform to glean from aside the banters and gbasgboos. cheesy

Santa2:

Everything you said resonates with me. I followed this thread like a bible long before I came into the Uk. I recall sometime ago when someone shared a screenshot their credit score that was excellent, I was wondering when I go near like this as I was hovering around the 600s. I am not yet on excellent but ee don waka small.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:48pm On May 02, 2023
Thank you so much and wishing you all the best with it.

beecrofty:

Because you took the time to explain this and make it clear to me, I am going to use your referral. Let me save it now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:00pm On May 02, 2023
iyatrustee:

www.shiptonaija.com

Thanks, will check them out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 2:02pm On May 02, 2023
infofirst:
Good day to all here. I will like to know any Schengen country with the earliest appointment for visit visa from the UK.
Thank you

None. TBH
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jcole123: 4:46pm On May 02, 2023
Hi guys, after much applications for remote customer service jobs, I got a positive feedback from a company. Fully remote. They want me to start immediately but the draw back is that its just a 3 months fixed contract. I don't know if it's okay to quit my full time care job for this one. And I don't know what will happen afterwards.

Please advise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 4:47pm On May 02, 2023
Gurus grin pls is there a safe platform to save and get a reasonable interest apart from the 1.30percent my bank is paying me ?
I tried some brokers and approached my bank too secure a mortgage but all are declining cos I don’t have a permanent status yet. So I am thinking of saving instead and expanding the deposit percentage. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by vikaosi: 5:01pm On May 02, 2023
Jcole123:
Hi guys, after much applications for remote customer service jobs, I got a positive feedback from a company. Fully remote. They want me to start immediately but the draw back is that its just a 3 months fixed contract. I don't know if it's okay to quit my full time care job for this one. And I don't know what will happen afterwards.

Please advise

Is there hope of an extension? Good thing that the job is remote. So you can either do nights for the care job or go part time for either.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:14pm On May 02, 2023
iyatrustee:

www.shiptonaija.com

They mainly ship to US, i can't any info about shipping to the UK

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:16pm On May 02, 2023
missjekyll:
Woah...bit rude there, dont you think?

It's OK not to like the UK,its a bit rubbish at the minute.

They say 1st gen immigrants are more patriotic than anyone else but let me just say this...

If you ever start to think of yourself as an Englishman, remember Shamima Begum and remember the British Citizens who have been abandoned in the Sudan when they flew embassy staff out last week. When asked, they said the peopleleft behind will have local help.

What sort of country abandons its citizens?

I hope you eventually read that the British (out performed), all other western countries, at the Sudanese evacuation.........

It's not how fast, but how well....... 😜😂😜

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:20pm On May 02, 2023
Amazoner01:
Gurus grin pls is there a safe platform to save and get a reasonable interest apart from the 1.30percent my bank is paying me ?
I tried some brokers and approached my bank too secure a mortgage but all are declining cos I don’t have a permanent status yet. So I am thinking of saving instead and expanding the deposit percentage. Thanks in advance.

All you would get is sub 3%....... Not unless you take a pop at the stock market (long term view)........

Remember, you might get less or more than invested....... 😜

Or lock investment down with monzo for about 2 years (sub 5%)....... Early withdrawal not allowed (even if you cry blood)...... 😝😁

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics?p=19164

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:36pm On May 02, 2023
Vintagee:
Please help, I am trying to open moneybox LISA. which option do I select here?

Your choice, Cash will give lower but guaranteed returns. Stocks and Shares should typically give higher returns but your funds are at risk of reducing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Drey1: 5:37pm On May 02, 2023
Jcole123:

Please advise

Oya, update us which site u use o 😀
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:38pm On May 02, 2023
justwise:

Thank you

You can also try Topship Africa. They came highly recommended, currently trying them out now. The other contact I had shared here said the NAHCO Shipping strike is currently affecting their operations

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:40pm On May 02, 2023
Drey1:

Oya, update us which site u use o 😀

.. And which company wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:40pm On May 02, 2023
Amazoner01:

There are a lot out there but a good rate for secured and "safe" investment might still be like 5% or less
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iyatrustee(f): 6:39pm On May 02, 2023
justwise:

They mainly ship to US, i can't any info about shipping to the UK

They do, Solumtoya recommended them and I used them about 3mths ago. See attached pic for their drop off address

Solumtoya:

You can also try Topship Africa. They came highly recommended, currently trying them out now. The other contact I had shared here said the NAHCO Shipping strike is currently affecting their operations

Baba you current die! After you na you again cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 6:57pm On May 02, 2023
Solumtoya:

There are a lot out there but a good rate for secured and "safe" investment might still be like 5% or less
thanks my boss for the swift response …some am seeing want 2 years fixed and still even below 5percent . I don’t like anything fix for that 2 years.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 7:02pm On May 02, 2023
Lexusgs430:

All you would get is sub 3%....... Not unless you take a pop at the stock market (long term view)........

Remember, you might get less or more than invested....... 😜

Or lock investment down with monzo for about 2 years (sub 5%)....... Early withdrawal not allowed (even if you cry blood)...... 😝😁

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics?p=19164

grin Thanks boss you’re very right….I actually looked into the investment but when I read a caveat that state I could loss my money, I pick race lol.
Funny how this guys pay very little interest but when you get from them you pay a lot. I no lock money ooo for that small interest haba cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 7:03pm On May 02, 2023
Amazoner01:

grin Thanks boss you’re very right….I actually looked into the investment but when I read a caveat that state I could loss my money, I pick race lol.
Funny how this guys pay very little interest but when you get from them you pay a lot. I no lock money ooo for that small interest haba cry ….thanks for the link boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:11pm On May 02, 2023
Amazoner01:

Funny how this guys pay very little interest but when you get from them you pay a lot. I no lock money ooo for that small interest haba cry

The higher the risk....... The higher the reward......🤣

OR

Send the money to your Nigerian account...... Then collect 20%...... Enjoy the wild swings ........😛🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 7:16pm On May 02, 2023
Lexusgs430:

The higher the risk....... The higher the reward......🤣

OR

Send the money to your Nigerian account...... Then collect 20%...... Enjoy the wild swings ........😛🤣
the Nigeria account is a bigger risk 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 7:23pm On May 02, 2023
Hello everyone. I went to capture for my Nigerian passport renewal today (10 years) and the collection date stated on the slip is 29th June. Wanted to ask the experience of people around this timeline. Do you normally receive your passport before or after the date stated on the slip, let me set realistic expectations for myself and chill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 7:26pm On May 02, 2023
Stocks & Shares ISA.

Last year, a veteran on this thread shared a link. I downloaded Freetrade app. I have been saving for house deposit using moneybox LISA.
Now, I am in position to be saving £100 weekly. I would really like to be buying sticks & shares on the Freetrade app.

My problem is, I don’t know which ones to buy. What constitutes intelligent buying. And which ones to avoid.

Please can people help me? I understand you will always add the ‘No financial advise’ disclaimer. But please. Any pointers? Or sharing of experiences?

Please help.

@Justwise
@TheGuyFromHR
@Lexusg430
@Ralphlauren
@Solumtoya
@LagosIsMyHome
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 7:28pm On May 02, 2023
Yeahhhhhh
Guess who o just sighted?
The Queen herself.
No. Not the one that died last year.

@Fatima04

We miss you….

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:53pm On May 02, 2023
Solumtoya:

iyatrustee:

They do, Solumtoya recommended them and I used them about 3mths ago. See attached pic for their drop off address

Baba you current die! After you na you again cheesy

Ok thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.