Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (971) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199795 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) (974) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:19pm On May 02, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:
Stocks & Shares ISA.

Last year, a veteran on this thread shared a link. I downloaded Freetrade app. I have been saving for house deposit using moneybox LISA.
Now, I am in position to be saving £100 weekly. I would really like to be buying sticks & shares on the Freetrade app.

My problem is, I don’t know which ones to buy. What constitutes intelligent buying. And which ones to avoid.

Please can people help me? I understand you will always add the ‘No financial advise’ disclaimer. But please. Any pointers? Or sharing of experiences?

Please help.

@Justwise
@TheGuyFromHR
@Lexusg430
@Ralphlauren
@Solumtoya
@LagosIsMyHome

Honestly if your ultimate goal is to save towards buying a house then stock and share is not the right tool to use considering the risks involved. During the pandemic a family friend was saving to buy a house and they decided to start investing in stock and share while economy reopen. By the end of 2021 they have lost close to £30,000. They have to start afresh again saving

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 8:25pm On May 02, 2023
justwise:

Honestly if your ultimate goal is to save towards buying a house then stock and share is not the right tool to use considering the risks involved. During the pandemic a family friend was saving to buy a house and they decided to start investing in stock and share while economy reopen. By the end of 2021 they have lost closed to £30,000. They have to start afresh again saving

Awww... they ignorantly jumped into Stocks and Shares and probably invested in individual stocks. Could be brutal.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KingDemolah(m): 8:50pm On May 02, 2023
SamReinvented:
Hello everyone. I went to capture for my Nigerian passport renewal today (10 years) and the collection date stated on the slip is 29th June. Wanted to ask the experience of people around this timeline. Do you normally receive your passport before or after the date stated on the slip, let me set realistic expectations for myself and chill.

I captured on Feb 7th and collection date was April 6th. I'm still waiting till now.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 8:53pm On May 02, 2023
justwise:

Honestly if your ultimate goal is to save towards buying a house then stock and share is not the right tool to use considering the risks involved. During the pandemic a family friend was saving to buy a house and they decided to start investing in stock and share while economy reopen. By the end of 2021 they have lost closed to £30,000. They have to start afresh again saving

Thanks @Justwise.
Maybe I didn’t put it well enough.
I max out my £4,000 LISA using moneybox and govt has topped up my cool 1k for me on each occasion.

I want to use the sticks & shares as a second (but parallel) way to earn some extra dosh.
I don’t mind if the margin is small, but I want to be buying sticks and shares worth £100 each week.

But I really do not know which ones to buy and which to avoid.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:11pm On May 02, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:
Stocks & Shares ISA.

Last year, a veteran on this thread shared a link. I downloaded Freetrade app. I have been saving for house deposit using moneybox LISA.
Now, I am in position to be saving £100 weekly. I would really like to be buying sticks & shares on the Freetrade app.

My problem is, I don’t know which ones to buy. What constitutes intelligent buying. And which ones to avoid.

Please can people help me? I understand you will always add the ‘No financial advise’ disclaimer. But please. Any pointers? Or sharing of experiences?

Please help.

@Justwise
@TheGuyFromHR
@Lexusg430
@Ralphlauren
@Solumtoya
@LagosIsMyHome

Firstly, if you're investing in S&S, you should typically leave the funds there for up to 3 to 5 years cos while 1 or 2 years might result in loss position, you would typically recover in 3 to 5 years.

As a beginner, you could do well to avoid individual stocks and invest in ETFs and Index Funds and Mutual Funds. They are a collation of well-selected individual stocks that reduce the risk for the investors. For instance, the most popular: S&P500 which tracks US' top 500 largest listed Companies. So, even if many Companies start failing, your risk is spread across: so some will crash, some will rise. That way, it averages about 10% per Annum. This means that it may be -9% this year but next year may be +25%

A platform like Vanguard has many such ETFs of Bonds (lower interest, lower risk) and Shares. The best is a mixture of both as Vanguard does in their Life Strategy Funds.

Lastly, watch out for the fees. Always go for funds with very low fees.

Watch a few videos on these keywords I mentioned and you should be fine. I am thinking of doing a few videos myself so I can point y'all to them.

NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE O

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:16pm On May 02, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

Thanks @Justwise.
I max out my £4,000 LISA using moneybox and govt has topped up my cool 1k for me on each occasion.

I want to use the sticks & shares as a second (but parallel) way to earn some extra dosh.
I don’t mind if the margin is small, but I want to be buying sticks and shares worth £100 each week.

What do you hope to achieve with your investment? Are you looking for current income via dividend payment or future income through capital appreciation? Whatever be the case, you need to study the shares you are interested in over a period of time. Although they say past performance is not a guarantee of future performance, studying past performance could give you a good indication of what might happen in the future.

Alternatively rather than invest in individual shares, you could look to invest in an index tracker or managed funds. That way your risk will be diversified as you are investing in a portfolio of shares/bonds.

I’m not sure DIY apps like FreeTrade are the best for novice traders. I haven’t used it though so can’t comment on its suitability.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Prizee1: 9:21pm On May 02, 2023
Good Evening House, please i have two questions
1. If my dependent partner has been to the UK before from 2008-2010 on study visa, note that this info was included on the application form under extra information column, should he send a scanned copy of his old visa page among the documents to submit or not?

2. Should i include my COS document among the documents to submit for my visa application?

Thank you all so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:37pm On May 02, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:
Stocks & Shares ISA.

Please help.

@Justwise
@TheGuyFromHR
@Lexusg430
@Ralphlauren
@Solumtoya
@LagosIsMyHome

Even Warren Buffet or Cathie Wood, cannot give you 100% guarantee.........

A bit of fundamental analysis, with a mixture of luck and dash of trending news feed....... Might send you smiling or crying.........

Invest with a long term view...... Never get emotionally attached to any shares...... 🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 10:29pm On May 02, 2023
Amazoner01:
Gurus grin pls is there a safe platform to save and get a reasonable interest apart from the 1.30percent my bank is paying me ?
I tried some brokers and approached my bank to secure a mortgage but all are declining cos I don’t have a permanent status yet. So I am thinking of saving instead and expanding the deposit percentage. Thanks in advance.
You can check the mortgage thread. Good info there to help getting mortgage. How long have you been in the UK, what’s your deposit size and which banks have you tried?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 11:04pm On May 02, 2023
KingDemolah:

I captured on Feb 7th and collection date was April 6th. I'm still waiting till now.

Wow! A whole month behind? This is going to be an interesting wait...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jcole123: 12:53am On May 03, 2023
Drey1:

Oya, update us which site u use o 😀

I used indeed, typed customer service advisor on the job title bar and adjusted the job type to remote

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jcole123: 12:54am On May 03, 2023
vikaosi:

Is there hope of an extension? Good thing that the job is remote. So you can either do nights for the care job or go part time for either.

It's an 8am to 6pm job, Mon to Friday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:53am On May 03, 2023
Solumtoya:

Awww... they ignorantly jumped into Stocks and Shares and probably invested in individual stocks. Could be brutal.

Yes they invested in individual stocks and mostly penny stocks, though I suspect they also invested in crypto.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:01am On May 03, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

Thanks @Justwise.

I totally understand what you are trying to do but I suggest you think long and hard about it.

You are safer if you put that amount in any savings account offering 3-4% returns, yes it’s penny but you have peace of mind.

Stocks are shares are long time investment, see it as pension contribution.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 6:43am On May 03, 2023
tshoboy:

You can check the mortgage thread. Good info there to help getting mortgage. How long have you been in the UK, what’s your deposit size and which banks have you tried?
Close to 2 years
Over 10percent and can even be more if I review the cost of property. Just llyods bank and two brokers. Thanks for the thread you suggested. I’m on it already. Thanks 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:54am On May 03, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:
Stocks & Shares ISA.

Please help.

@Justwise
@TheGuyFromHR
@Lexusg430
@Ralphlauren
@Solumtoya
@LagosIsMyHome

If you're planning to buy in less than 5 years or at least 3, put the money in a cash ISA instead.

Your odds of selecting individual stocks that will be substantially (enough to justify the risk) more profitable than a cash ISA in the near-mid term are very low.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:41am On May 03, 2023
Deleted.

Las las we go dey alright.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:08am On May 03, 2023
Jcole123:

I used indeed, typed customer service advisor on the job title bar and adjusted the job type to remote

Whats he name of the specific coy? And is it fully remote?

Thanks in advance smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 8:16am On May 03, 2023
Sorry .. did you mean £300.00 0r £30,000 kiss

That's tough if you meant £30,000 ....

justwise:

Honestly if your ultimate goal is to save towards buying a house then stock and share is not the right tool to use considering the risks involved. During the pandemic a family friend was saving to buy a house and they decided to start investing in stock and share while economy reopen. By the end of 2021 they have lost close to £30,000. They have to start afresh again saving
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:25am On May 03, 2023
profemebee:
Sorry .. did you mean £300.00 0r £30,000 kiss

That's tough if you meant £30,000 ....

It should be more than that by now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 8:28am On May 03, 2023
oh wow... they need some form of financial guidance.

I wish them well

justwise:

It should be more than that by now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:48am On May 03, 2023
justwise:

That family friend is a gambler and requires rehab......... Who does that....... 🤣😳

Funds you put on the stock market, must be with a long term view....... Even when stocks are under preforming, it's still a floating loss (until you sell a losing position or firm goes belly up).........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:51am On May 03, 2023
I am wondering when justwise would close this thread.......... 😁😉😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:00am On May 03, 2023
Lexusgs430:

That family friend is a gambler and requires rehab......... Who does that....... 🤣😳

Funds you put on the stock market, must be with a long term view....... Even when stocks are under preforming, it's still a floating loss (until you sell a losing position or firm goes belly up).........

I held Transcorp Nigeria plc shares for 15 years from N7 and l averaged down to N1.4 until this year when Otedola came and helped me moved the share price to N3.12 to N3.15 where sold the shares currently. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 9:15am On May 03, 2023
Lexusgs430:
666 upside down 999 shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by triplo3: 9:25am On May 03, 2023
Hi I'm looking to buy GBP 600 +/-
Who has pounds at good rate? Lemonade is too expensive.
Also how do people do transactions here? I'm in Birmingham in case it's face-to-face
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:47am On May 03, 2023
Lexusgs430:

fatima04 will do that
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:49am On May 03, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It's very easy...just keep buying the deep to average your buy position until the firm goes under and stock delisted.

You see that word "buy the deep"... 😁

Alternatively, sell to cut loss...but as soon as you sell, stock starts performing and you buy at a price higher than you sold. Repeat the cycle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:57am On May 03, 2023
Lexusgs430:

As they are funding the stock and share app the bank warned them as frequent transfer set up and a warning alert.

Greediness played a part as well especially with penny shares, there is the tendency to put more money so as to make huge return.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:58am On May 03, 2023
Viruses:

It's very easy...just keep buying the deep to average your buy position until the firm goes under and stock delisted.

You see that word "buy the deep"... 😁

Alternatively, sell to cut loss...but as soon as you sell, stock starts performing and you buy at a price higher than you sold. Repeat the cycle.

The deep gets deeper, the deeper you go .......🤣😂

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:59am On May 03, 2023
ukay2:

I held Transcorp Nigeria plc shares for 15 years from N7 and l averaged down to N1.4 until this year when Otedola came and helped me moved the share price to N3.12 to N3.15 where sold the shares currently. grin

My brother bought some shares in Nigeria like 15 to 20yrs ago. The last time we spoke, I asked him if he has collected dividend, he said he's the one owing the company now 😂😂

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) (974) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.