Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,350 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (987) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179934 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 3:31pm On May 09, 2023
Honeyspeak1:

Now am confused oh . Am landing Heathrow which is LHR

The same thing, London Heathrow Airport=LHR

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 3:33pm On May 09, 2023
Jlaw1:

Hi, Ms Thastie.

Kindly permit me to comment on your post. It's very lengthy, but I hope it's not too boring or intellectual.

POINT 1:
Let me start by narrating a short story. A few years ago, a professor demonstrated an experiment by showing me a sketched picture of a woman on a book. He explained the physical characteristics of the picture, and from his explanation, I could clearly see with my own "koro-koro" eyes that the woman in the picture was an old person, possibly in her 70s.

He showed the very same picture to 2 other people, but described the picture to them completely differently to the way he described it to me. Surprisingly, these other 2 people looking at the very same picture said the woman in the picture was a young woman in her 20s. This started a debate between us. I argued that the woman in the picture was old and they totally disagreed, because according to them, the woman in the picture was not an old woman but a cool babe. And yet, we were staring at the SAME picture, but we were seeing different things. Unbelievable, right?

Check out the two images of two young classy ladies that I have attached below (originally from a book called "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People). Can you see the two classy babes?

Now check out the two images that I attached to my next post, and then you will discover that these ladies that you thought are fresh babes are infact NOT fresh or young at all, but are OLD WOMEN with big ugly noses.

What made me see differently from the 2 other guys was simply because I was given a certain description of the picture, but those guys were given a different description of the same picture. So we saw differently and reached different conclusions. In reality, the picture could be viewed as depicting an old woman or a fresh babe, depending on the type of description you may have heard from the professor, which may in turn shape your perspective.

The point I'm trying to make here is that judging the situation solely from what the wife told you may paint an incomplete picture. As the old cliché goes: there are at least two sides to every story. Also hearing events from the husband's sides may paint a more balanced picture of the true reality of things.

POINT 2:
I want to assume that you sought permission from your friend before posting about her marriage on Nairaland. In my opinion, it will be wrong not to seek her consent before sharing. So I will assume that you did the right thing by getting her green light, before tabling the matter here.

Having said this, I feel like you did not present the issue in good faith. It appears to me that your biggest motive is to bring "gist" here and to disparage her husband, rather than to genuinely help your friend. I may be judging you wrongly and I am open to correction. But at this moment, this is how I feel after reading a couple of your comments about the issue.

Fair enough, this platform is largely anonymous. Nevertheless, I believe that we should exercise some degree of caution, empathy and restraint when sharing our friends' private/personal/intimate/matrimonial struggles on a public forum. Again, it is possible that I may be wrong in my criticism of you, dear Ms Thastie, and you can correct me if you believe that I've judged your intentions wrongly.

Cheers.

The husband is whom I know, ok?
I literally chatted his wife up on IG.
The guy as even refused to share what he did wrong in the marriage with me; especially when he asked if he’ll be arrested.
Not like he needs to share stuffs with me; but his attitude shows he doesn’t want to be helped.
The wife mentioned he only works 3x a week as Support worker;
- Not contributing money for her to get help from a private gynaecologist as nhs is slow.
-sending money home while only paying half of the house rent, while she covers the other bills(water, gas etc)
-Doesn’t care about her even when she’s sick. He wouldn’t call cos he forgot.
-claims he wants to pursue his acting dream, hence works 3x a week.

See, I don’t want this post to be long honestly.
I’ll not lie to you cos I’m actually pissed on the wife’s behalf. Plus I know how he was struggling back home & he’s ruining the good things he has now. The guy is 35 o. Wife is 27

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 3:34pm On May 09, 2023
Walexwal:

The person will still need to change at LHR onto a Reading RailAir. So, I still maintain that National Express does not get to Reading station. They may get to Meteo Park and ride though.

National express will not sale a ticket to a route they are not operating, is either they take that route or their partners does.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 3:38pm On May 09, 2023
Sir go and reconcile with your wife. The grass is not always greener most times at the other side.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:50pm On May 09, 2023
Not necessarily. The journey is from LHR T2. See attached screenshot
Cc: honeyspeak1
Walexwal:

The person will still need to change at LHR onto a Reading RailAir. So, I still maintain that National Express does not get to Reading station. They may get to Meteo Park and ride though.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Walexwal: 3:57pm On May 09, 2023
mimilyrics:
Not necessarily. See attached screenshot
Just like Justwise stated, I think National Express partners with Reading RailAir, so that is why it's RailAir that will carry you from LHR to Reading. I have used it several times. If you click the icon beside the DIRECT ish, you will see that it is serviced solely by Reading RailAir.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 4:02pm On May 09, 2023
You were talking about a change and I stated "not necessarily" since the OP only needs to hop on at LHR (not Gatwick and no change needed) and get off at Reading. It's a direct journey from the pickup point.
I'm not arguing the partnership or the carrier because it doesn't matter who's fulfilling the service. All the OP needs to do is book with National Express, follow the instructions on the ticket/at the airport and be at the pickup point at the required time.
Walexwal:

Just like Justwise stated, I think National Express partners with Reading RailAir, so that is why it's RailAir that will carry you from LHR to Reading. I have used it several times. If you click the icon beside the DIRECT ish, you will see that it is serviced solely by Reading RailAir.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:45pm On May 09, 2023
Honeyspeak1:

This sounds straight forward but I won’t get lost lol

It supper easy but you can take the bus as well. That would be east and straight forward.

As others have said Reading RailAir.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:58pm On May 09, 2023
From 25 to 1000 pounds and above depending on your taste 😂

MechanicMike:

How much exactly please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:59pm On May 09, 2023
Nor mind am. He don see one of those Spanish babes with big yansh here na hin make 😂

babajeje123:
Sir go and reconcile with your wife. The grass is not always greener most times at the other side.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:12pm On May 09, 2023
LagosismyHome:

I don't agree with this statement oo especially in London. Rent is coming up higher than mortgages and rent is increasing yearly but mortage is decreasing as your loan to value is decreasing

The Math speaks for itself, especially in London. If you are lucky enough to find a property in London for £450k, which is very unlikely, you would pay about £2,400 in Mortgage repayments monthly while you would have been renting at like £1,800 or less for a similar property.

I'm all for Mortgage, but just pointing out that, with the current interest rates, renters shouldn't expect a lower Mortgage payment when they switch.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Drey1: 5:25pm On May 09, 2023
Honeyspeak1:
Hello guys this thread has really being helpful so far . Pls I need help , coming in this coming week thru Turkish and heading to Reading but am hearing I have to book for cab ahead and is about £120 . Am trying to cut spending cost pls , any idea of how I can get a cab that I won’t spend up to £120 or any idea on how to navigate myself down to Reading conveniently . Pls help a New comer 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Use Bolt instead . It's cheaper. Nah here isee say bolt amount us cheaper to there taxis.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:35pm On May 09, 2023
Solumtoya:

The Math speaks for itself, especially in London. If you are lucky enough to find a property in London for £450k, which is very unlikely, you would pay about £2,400 in Mortgage repayments monthly while you would have been renting at like £1,800 or less for a similar property.

I'm all for Mortgage, but just pointing out that, with the current interest rates, renters shouldn't expect a lower Mortgage payment when they switch.

This is the beginning of attempting to catch a monkey, on a tree ..........😛😂

Loads of other cities available........ Explore wider options .......... We can't all reside in London......😜😭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:44pm On May 09, 2023
Viruses:

You're right, the talks of rent being (almost) the same as mortgage payment was before. Now the difference is clear.

But if it's affordable, mortgage is good.
Aren't the landlords passing on the cost to tenants?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 6:05pm On May 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Loads of other cities available........ Explore wider options .......... We can't all reside in London......😜😭

Oga Lexus…
This your thought process is like asking people to migrate to Dutse (Jigawa State) or Nguru (Yobe state) or Zungeru (Kebbi State) or Monguno (Borno state) or Oye-Ekiti (Ekiti State) or Abatete (Anambra State) or Nembe (Bayelsa State) etc….

In ALL the places I mentioned above, they can get a 5 bed bungalow for less than the price of a 1/2 bed face-me-I-face-you in Abuja or Lagos.

Question is: Are there jobs? What (really) is the point of moving away from London to Hull or Sunderland or Middlesbrough or Newcastle or Durham or etc… and there are no jobs there? You buy/rent cheaply, but there are no jobs. What’s the point?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 6:10pm On May 09, 2023
Thastie:

The guy as even refused to share what he did wrong in the marriage with me; especially when he asked if he’ll be arrested.
Not like he needs to share stuffs with me; but his attitude shows he doesn’t want to be helped.
- Not contributing money for her to get help from a private gynaecologist as nhs is slow.
-sending money home while only paying half of the house rent, while she covers the other bills(water, gas etc)

I’ll not lie to you cos I’m actually pissed on the wife’s behalf. Plus I know how he was struggling back home & he’s ruining the good things he has now. The guy is 35 o. Wife is 27

Oh dear Lord!!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 6:24pm On May 09, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…
This your thought process is like asking people to migrate to Dutse (Jigawa State) or Nguru (Yobe state) or Zungeru (Kebbi State) or Monguno (Borno state) or Oye-Ekiti (Ekiti State) or Abatete (Anambra State) or Nembe (Bayelsa State) etc….

In ALL the places I mentioned above, they can get a 5 bed bungalow for less than the price of a 1/2 bed face-me-I-face-you in Abuja or Lagos.

Question is: Are there jobs? What (really) is the point of moving away from London to Hull or Sunderland or Middlesbrough or Newcastle or Durham or etc… and there are no jobs there? You buy/rent cheaply, but there are no jobs. What’s the point?

Omo see how dem yab Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle sha.... Chai

Job dey Newcastle ooooo and house cheap somehow. You fit dey Gateshead too

I heard of someone sometimes make £10,000/week for Middlesbrough but I know no wetin the person dey do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 6:25pm On May 09, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Hehehe so it’s more arbitrary. Make I still dey survey the market because the diesel wey i see cheap pass normal petrol. Thanks bro

All Diesel cars of the same brand & year are cheaper than petrol.
At first, I thought it was because diesels are more costlier than petrol (Nigerian Settings N900-²-N195), but I believe there was more.

Imagine seeing S Class (Presidential Prototype) below £20k? I no wan believe say everything dey alright with diesels.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:26pm On May 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I was responding to her comment about London not insinuating we would all reside there o cheesy

However, can you mention some of these available Cities outside London that someone who works in London can explore?

We had had this conversation here before and people were mentioning Croydon, Kent, Dartford, Cambridge etc. but those areas are not cheap!

Many are not looking for houses in London but Houses within a 90 minute drive from London yet even that is not cheap in decent areas

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:45pm On May 09, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…

It requires thinking out of the box........ The transport system is good enough, to accommodate the initial shock......

Till one eventually moves completely over, looking for jobs within close proximity......

Thank goodness for covid...... We now have many more remote jobs.......

Changing job roles, transfer, switching locations....... UK would provide you a solution, if one is prepared to look deep enough (not closing any doors)....... 😝😭

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:45pm On May 09, 2023
Solumtoya:

I was responding to her comment about London not insinuating we would all reside there o cheesy

However, can you mention some of these available Cities outside London that someone who works in London can explore?

We had had this conversation here before and people were mentioning Croydon, Kent, Dartford, Cambridge etc. but those areas are not cheap!

Many are not looking for houses in London but Houses within a 90 minute drive from London yet even that is not cheap in decent areas
Vast majority of people who live in them cities you just mention live there but work in London as they commute via train, driving is a no no for them. If you are professional in a certain discipline or trade then you can live anywhere and still earn as if you live in London, if not London it is. take for example if you are from Niger republic and want to come to Nigeria for work, it would be Lagos, Abuja and PHC isnt it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 6:46pm On May 09, 2023
Coventry and Northampton are options. Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham can be within 90 minutes by train

Solumtoya:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On May 09, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

All Diesel cars of the same brand & year are cheaper than petrol.
At first, I thought it was because diesels are more costlier than petrol (Nigerian Settings N900-²-N195), but I believe there was more.
Imagine seeing S Class (Presidential Prototype) below £20k? I no wan believe say everything dey alright with diesels.

It's not about the initial sunk cost....... But huge on going maintainance bills........😭😭

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:50pm On May 09, 2023
HollyMadison:
The vawulence on the thread don dey plenty oo

they ignore your post- problem
they respond- problem
the response is serious- problem
the response is light hearted- problem
few people respond- problem
many people respond- problem
elders respond- problem
newbies respond- problem
you don’t disclose enough personal info- problem
You disclose personal info- problem

Problem no dey finish
grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:53pm On May 09, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…

Absolutely 💯... England has about 26 million jobs. 20% of those are in London. London is just 2% of England o... So, 2% land mass has 20% of the jobs.

It's just like Lagos. People outside Lagos always said "Leave Lagos if the rent is high!", but will they leave their jobs and career to go to more affordable City? It's not an easy situation.

Remember, London is the financial capital of the world so it's not easy for people with certain expertise to find good jobs outside London

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 7:02pm On May 09, 2023
Thastie:

Ms Thastie,

Thank you for responding to my long post. It is possible that I may have misunderstood your motive afterall. If so, accept my unreserved apology.

It is sad that another Nigerian marriage is on the verge of breaking down, here in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:04pm On May 09, 2023
Bourne007:
Coventry and Northampton are options. Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham can be within 90 minutes by train

Yeah, but those are like £1,000 to £2,000 in transport fares monthly. You make a good point with Coventry and Northampton though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.