Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (989) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171129 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 9:40am On May 10, 2023
7 steps provided here

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-administration/immigration/working-in-the-uk/after-studies/graduate-visa

wonlasewonimi:
Can someone help confirm if the uni has to send you a link before you can apply for a post study visa? If yes, do they wait till less than a month to visa expiry to provide the link? I am trying to confirm a lamba. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 9:44am On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:
Can someone help confirm if the uni has to send you a link before you can apply for a post study visa? If yes, do they wait till less than a month to visa expiry to provide the link? I am trying to confirm a lamba. Thanks.

Hi,

My school sent the link immediately I got the mail for my grad (3months before tier 4 visa expiry)

HTH.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:49am On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Remember when sky boxes got cloned and virgin media satellite services got hacked............ We are going back over 25 years........

To ban IPTV, internet access must be banned.......πŸ˜›πŸ˜‚

The biggest prob is the cost of watching premier league matches in the UK, outside the UK you can watch these games for less than Β£5.

When i was living in Zimbabwe we watch these matches almost for free, we pay less than 10 dollars monthly for subscription and that includes all sports.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 9:51am On May 10, 2023
LagosismyHome:

I like you too smiley

Ha!!! LagosismyHome!!!
I thought I was your first love on Nairaland shocked.
Don't tell me you are beginning to like someone else
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 10:01am On May 10, 2023
mimilyrics:
As far as I know based on the applications I was privy to, they don't except they just started it.
Your school will need to update the UKVI on the completion of your studies (mostly in cases where the degree hasn't been formally conferred) but if you have your degree certificate/transcript, that's as good as the school informing UKVI.

You'll need to get on UKVI website by yourself to apply (within 28 days of the student visa Expiration) because it is not the school's duty to provide you with the application link.

Gloriouscrown:

Hi,

My school sent the link immediately I got the mail for my grad (3months before tier 4 visa expiry)

HTH.

Bourne007:
7 steps provided here

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-administration/immigration/working-in-the-uk/after-studies/graduate-visa

Many thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bmuhd4smile: 11:05am On May 10, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:
Hello guys!

What is my chance on this visiting visa application.
(4days tourism).
Declared Savings of Β£3600.
Stated money to spend in the UK: Β£800.
My personal circumstance;

Average monthly earnings after tax of : Β£950
My stated average monthly expenses of Β£580.

Thanks to everyone that contributed and offer advice. Visa Granted πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ. 6months.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:18am On May 10, 2023
These couple applied for Divorce.
They arrived Court for the final divorce hearing.
The judge still doesn’t know what to do or say.

What would you do?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OKOCHA1(m): 11:58am On May 10, 2023
SamReinvented:
Hello everyone. I went to capture for my Nigerian passport renewal today (10 years) and the collection date stated on the slip is 29th June. Wanted to ask the experience of people around this timeline. Do you normally receive your passport before or after the date stated on the slip, let me set realistic expectations for myself and chill.

Gurus i the house I greet, please I got an appointment date for Passport renewal for 12/07. However this date is too far for me.. please is there a workaround to this..

I actually applied in March but then paid in May.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 12:38pm On May 10, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…
This your thought process is like asking people to migrate to Dutse (Jigawa State) or Nguru (Yobe state) or Zungeru (Kebbi State) or Monguno (Borno state) or Oye-Ekiti (Ekiti State) or Abatete (Anambra State) or Nembe (Bayelsa State) etc….

In ALL the places I mentioned above, they can get a 5 bed bungalow for less than the price of a 1/2 bed face-me-I-face-you in Abuja or Lagos.

Question is: Are there jobs? What (really) is the point of moving away from London to Hull or Sunderland or Middlesbrough or Newcastle or Durham or etc… and there are no jobs there? You buy/rent cheaply, but there are no jobs. What’s the point?

My Chest ooooooh. See as stray NPF bullet come catch us. Work dey NorthEast. But people looking for survival jobs plenty pass the available jobs.

Professional jobs many.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 1:25pm On May 10, 2023
I use NALA to send money home, along with 100,000 others. Join with code ARINZECHUKWU-460738 and we'll both get Β£10.00

https://join.iwantnala.com/ARINZECHUKWU-460738

Rate today is #933.97 to Β£1

Abeg make una support me, I wan pay rent and e choke.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:37pm On May 10, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:

Thanks to everyone that contributed and offer advice. Visa Granted πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ. 6months.

Congratulations πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘........

It's feeling summery already..........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜›

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TJ18(m): 1:50pm On May 10, 2023
Honeyspeak1:
Hello guys this thread has really being helpful so far . Pls I need help , coming in this coming week thru Turkish and heading to Reading but am hearing I have to book for cab ahead and is about Β£120 . Am trying to cut spending cost pls , any idea of how I can get a cab that I won’t spend up to Β£120 or any idea on how to navigate myself down to Reading conveniently . Pls help a New comer πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Hi Hi - I'll be dropping off someone at Heathrow at 7am on Friday from Reading. If peradventure this coincides with your arrival, I'm happy to pick you at Heathrow and drop you at Reading. You can send a DM if that works for you.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Wisdom7400(m): 2:19pm On May 10, 2023
Pls I have an issue with my mum applying for my kids passport in Nigeria. They said one parent must be present before they can be captured. None of us can travel as we have a baby here and we are both working. I called them at Abuja and they said that its the rule for one of the parents to be present. I requested for video calls for the verifications etc but the guy at Abuja said its to the discretion of the PCO in charge. Pls how do I go about this? Has Anyone encountered this? Pls if you know any PCO that can assist us, kindly msg me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:27pm On May 10, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

In my own case, the will really exist. But I have zero idea of any other way I can raise 25% (Β£100,000)

Are you following news from the mortgage sector.........

Are you applying through Skipton or similar, offering 0% deposit mortgage deals........ πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by worry357: 2:34pm On May 10, 2023
Wisdom7400:
Pls I requested for video calls for the verifications etc but the guy at Abuja said its to the discretion of the PCO in charge. Pls how do I go about this?

I think the answer is clear.
You are being asked to "give them something" if your offer is enough all things are possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:40pm On May 10, 2023
Wisdom7400:
Pls I have an issue with my mum applying for my kids passport in Nigeria. They said one parent must be present before they can be captured. None of us can travel as we have a baby here and we are both working. I called them at Abuja and they said that its the rule for one of the parents to be present. I requested for video calls for the verifications etc but the guy at Abuja said its to the discretion of the PCO in charge. Pls how do I go about this? Has Anyone encountered this? Pls if you know any PCO that can assist us, kindly msg me.

Wisdom....... Apply wisdom..... Read between the lines ....... No be all the mouth, that officer wan use talk.........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜›

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gmacnoms(m): 2:43pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Wisdom....... Apply wisdom..... Read between the lines ....... No be all the mouth, that officer wan use talk.........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜›
As it is in Balablu
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 10, 2023
Jlaw1:

Hi, Ms Thastie.

Kindly permit me to comment on your post. It's very lengthy, but I hope it's not too boring or intellectual.

Having said this, I feel like you did not present the issue in good faith. It appears to me that your biggest motive is to bring "gist" here and to disparage her husband, r

I swear I thought this exact thing yesterday and it was quite disheartening for me. I almost talked here but figured I should keep quiet before it becomes like my own is too much.

Your 'friend' is at the point of divorce, and you came here to ask for advice. People shared different perspectives and your contribution was to start speculating that the friend was abusing his wife - and you egged that on with others with laughter and 'catching cruise'.

Now that you found that the matter is a more basic disagreement, you have said you've washed your hands off and even said you will not even share the responses people gave here to try and help them. So why did you ask in the first place? To bring drama to the thread and not to help your 'friend' at all, clearly. The story is not quite as salacious anymore so you're washing your hands.

Omo may God guide us on who we choose as friends and confide in sha.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 10, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…
This your thought process is like asking people to migrate to Dutse (Jigawa State) or Nguru (Yobe state) or Zungeru (Kebbi State) or Monguno (Borno state) or Oye-Ekiti (Ekiti State) or Abatete (Anambra State) or Nembe (Bayelsa State) etc….

In ALL the places I mentioned above, they can get a 5 bed bungalow for less than the price of a 1/2 bed face-me-I-face-you in Abuja or Lagos.

Question is: Are there jobs? What (really) is the point of moving away from London to Hull or Sunderland or Middlesbrough or Newcastle or Durham or etc… and there are no jobs there? You buy/rent cheaply, but there are no jobs. What’s the point?

I hear what you're saying and you're right. Some people are best served living in London.

Thing is, many jobs allow people work using a hybrid model now. Everything from 2 times a week in office to once per month.

While it's clearly heavily dependent on individual circumstances, the advice of casting ones net outside London is extremely solid. Even if it means commuting in once a week or a couple times a month, the advantages in lowering cost of living, getting on the property ladder faster and frankly living in a more conducive (this is my opinion) area, is a viable opportunity for many people.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 10, 2023
Peerielass:

Is this your guy married by any chance and does he have kids? By the time you factor in higher rate tax, mortgage costs, school fees for the kids in London, commuting costs, etc, he will be better off on a Β£50k salary in Middlesbrough.

Exactly the point!

Factor in the additional higher costs of just about everything and the stress (commuting time and hassle, crime, etc.), and the value propositions begin to look less drastically different, despite the salary figure discrepancies.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

They don't have to send you a link.

They just confirm to you that they have notified UKVI that you have completed your studies.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:05pm On May 10, 2023
justwise:

The biggest prob is the cost of watching premier league matches in the UK, outside the UK you can watch these games for less than Β£5.

When i was living in Zimbabwe we watch these matches almost for free, we pay less than 10 dollars monthly for subscription and that includes all sports.

Star Sports Kaabadi in India, we used to pay the equivalent of 10K naira for Internet + All the sports channels. They show PL, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and I think Serie A

Wonder why the UK is different for some weird reason
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Wisdom7400(m): 4:26pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

The passport officer doesn't have "between the lines ni" . I need the one that has lines so I can read. There is nothing I haven't tried with this officer. I think she wants to frustrate us first before showing us her lines to read
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:41pm On May 10, 2023
Wisdom7400:

The passport officer doesn't have "between the lines ni" . I need the one that has lines so I can read. There is nothing I haven't tried with this officer. I think she wants to frustrate us first before showing us her lines to read

Have you asked for her account number........πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2023
hustla:

Star Sports Kaabadi in India, we used to pay the equivalent of 10K naira for Internet + All the sports channels. They show PL, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and I think Serie A

Wonder why the UK is different for some weird reason

Greediness.

Premier league is over valued and foreign ownership made things even worse, Manchester city, Man-united, Chelsea etc All paid stupid money for average players at their best. Premier league itself selling right to broadcast to Sky, BT Sport and Amazon for around Β£4.8 billion.

Imagine paying Β£2000 plus a session to watch a club like Spurs that has never won even a wooden spoon

They can't win the war against illegal streaming as people seek for cheaper options

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 5:47pm On May 10, 2023
justwise:

Man to man, I know what took you to Zimbabwe grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:50pm On May 10, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

Greediness.

Premier league is over valued and foreign ownership made things even worse, Manchester city, Man-united, Chelsea etc All paid stupid money for average players at their best. Premier league itself selling right to broadcast to Sky, BT Sport and Amazon for around Β£4.8 billion.

Imagine paying Β£2000 plus a session to watch a club like Spurs that has never won even a wooden spoon

They can't win the war against illegal streaming as people seek for cheaper options

grin cheesy

Spurs even collect for this matter

People will always find alternative means to stream, that's for sure
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 6:05pm On May 10, 2023
Zahra29:

I agree. It's definitely not fair but that's the HO for you. Do you remember a few years ago (in the days of TMay as home sec) how many immigrants were unfairly caught up in the english test scam? Those who cheated, and many who didn't, got treated the same by HO and many were deported or went through lengthy appeals.
Even now they are seeking to criminalise all boat crossers - genuine asylum seekers included.
So as you've said, people need to be careful before reporting, but also do as much due diligence as possible on potential sponsors, because the reality is that taking legal action against an employer is not that easy or quick, especially for an immigrant who needs a sponsor to remain in the UK.

It's happening again. Malpractice in a centre in Ibadan for qualified nurses. Everybody that has written the exams in that centre since it inception will be affected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:28pm On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

grin grin no you don't
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:28pm On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

Ukwu....... Big Big ukwu......πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 6:30pm On May 10, 2023
justwise:

grin grin no you don't

Lexusgs430 don talk am cheesy you be my NL username tongue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Ukwu....... Big Big ukwu......πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

grin grin i be child of God

(1) (2) (3) ... (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.