Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (990) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177843 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:44pm On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

Lexusgs430 don talk am cheesy you be my NL username tongue

Zero chance grin grin i was far too innocent at that time.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:47pm On May 10, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Imagine a tiler or mason who leaves Benin Republic or Togo and migrates to Nigeria, looking for greener pastures. Such a person now goes to Omu-Ekiti or Damasak or Kazaure or Oturkpo or Oji River to live, simply because houses in those places are a fraction of Lagos, Abuja or PHC prices…

Well, they can get big house first cheap. But where dem wan see jobs?
Esxactly. chey we wey dey live inside london carry house come from Nigeria grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:47pm On May 10, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Oga Lexus…
This your thought process is like asking people to migrate to Dutse (Jigawa State) or Nguru (Yobe state) or Zungeru (Kebbi State) or Monguno (Borno state) or Oye-Ekiti (Ekiti State) or Abatete (Anambra State) or Nembe (Bayelsa State) etc….

In ALL the places I mentioned above, they can get a 5 bed bungalow for less than the price of a 1/2 bed face-me-I-face-you in Abuja or Lagos.

Question is: Are there jobs? What (really) is the point of moving away from London to Hull or Sunderland or Middlesbrough or Newcastle or Durham or etc… and there are no jobs there? You buy/rent cheaply, but there are no jobs. What’s the point?

You could easily flip this as the UK is structured in many ways.

The question would be would you et same pay for your job role outside London?
The exclusive high paying roles limited to London are few. A good chunk of these are now partly remote.

Question is if you're renting in London and earning a decent pay, can one match that pay in a nice but cheaper town hence increase its mileage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:52pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

- They are usually heavier on the foot
- Excessive engine vibration
- Offensive smell
- DPF clogging
- EGR values failure

I hate diesel vehicles with a passion......😭

It seems these are issues limited to quite old diesel cars. In general old cars - petrol or diesel can be an issue.

I drive a ULEZ compliant diesel with quite good fuel economy. Typically visit the workshop yearly for it's annual service and I clock north of 8000 miles a year.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 6:58pm On May 10, 2023
nellaluv:

It's happening again. Malpractice in a centre in Ibadan for qualified nurses. Everybody that has written the exams in that centre since it inception will be affected.

Yes it is - I think I posted the link a few days ago.
They are investigating everyone who took exams at that centre - even those already practising in the UK - also pausing present applications and inviting them to retake the exam.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 7:00pm On May 10, 2023
Zahra29:

You're very welcome 😊

Thanks for the update which validates some of the assumptions that were made.

It sounds like the wife has tried her best.

Re the bolded: I don't blame you - people like him need to learn the hard way.

Hmm. Let me try to make I assumption here. I think the part sticks out to me is the fact she mentions he calls her father to report her.

I believe this is a position reached due to a breakdown in communication between them. Also, her mention of that fact that she “brought” him from his “30k” salary. A bit condescending as well don't you think?

Nevertheless, I think they just need to find a way to hear each other. Perhaps the man feels emasculated. Perhaps he was “in charge” back home and finds himself in a place where he perceives his wife not to listen. Perhaps my assumption is wrong.

Anyway, I hope they consider counseling. A marriage of two years is still young. They were still boyfriends in 2020. If they survived the pandemic. They can survive this if they both agree and determine too.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 7:01pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you asked for her account number........😜😂

Not wanting to sound judgy, but isn't it this type of behaviour that contributes to the way Nigeria is? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:02pm On May 10, 2023
Jlaw1:

Somebody messaged me saying that they cannot see the old woman in the two pictures that I posted yesterday. To the person, each picture looks like a young woman. So I have labeled the two pictures to help them see that each picture is that of an old woman.

Can you see the 2 old women now cheesy

Wow..Real illusion. The second picture what I saw was a lady whose face was turned.... its only until it was labelled that I saw it differently

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:04pm On May 10, 2023
Jlaw1:

Ha!!! LagosismyHome!!!
I thought I was your first love on Nairaland shocked.
Don't tell me you are beginning to like someone else

smiley cheesy grin offcourse you are number 1,2,3,4,5,6.....100
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 7:06pm On May 10, 2023
TJ18:

Hi Hi - I'll be dropping off someone at Heathrow at 7am on Friday from Reading. If peradventure this coincides with your arrival, I'm happy to pick you at Heathrow and drop you at Reading. You can send a DM if that works for you.

Well...most flights coming from Naija to YouKay withing those periods are mostly morning flights. 08:05-14:45
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 7:11pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It requires thinking out of the box........ The transport system is good enough, to accommodate the initial shock......

Till one eventually moves completely over, looking for jobs within close proximity......

Thank goodness for covid...... We now have many more remote jobs.......

Changing job roles, transfer, switching locations....... UK would provide you a solution, if one is prepared to look deep enough (not closing any doors)....... 😝😭

Lol. People that live in Ibeju lekki while working in Abule Egba?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 7:13pm On May 10, 2023
CowbellY:

Hmm. Let me try to make I assumption here. I think the part sticks out to me is the fact she mentions he calls her father to report her.

I believe this is a position reached due to a breakdown in communication between them. Also, her mention of that fact that she “brought” him from his “30k” salary. A bit condescending as well don't you think?

Nevertheless, I think they just need to find a way to hear each other. Perhaps the man feels emasculated. Perhaps he was “in charge” back home and finds himself in a place where he perceives his wife not to listen. Perhaps my assumption is wrong.

Anyway, I hope they consider counseling. A marriage of two years is still young. They were still boyfriends in 2020. If they survived the pandemic. They can survive this if they both agree and determine too.

You might be right, but honestly (and no offence meant) I think some men need to grow a thicker skin sometimes. Not every comment orsuggestion should be perceived as a slight against their masculinity undecided

💯 to counselling. I'm sure they can work their issues out if they both have the will.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 7:20pm On May 10, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

Man to man, I know what took you to Zimbabwe grin
We do not know what you're talking about, personally I think he wanted to feel what it's like being a Trillionaire with the rate of ZimboDollar grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 7:27pm On May 10, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Wow..Real illusion. The second picture what I saw was a lady whose face was turned.... its only until it was labelled that I saw it differently

I'm super glad that you saw through the illusion of young/old woman in the picture. You've got beauty and brains. That's why you are my first love on NL kiss

But this picture again illustrates the importance of not jumping to conclusions. One may be looking at a picture and seeing the wrong image. Depending on one's perspective, that picture may be that of a young lady or that of an old woman. As they say, every story has at least two sides.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 7:29pm On May 10, 2023
koonbey:

I swear I thought this exact thing yesterday and it was quite disheartening for me. I almost talked here but figured I should keep quiet before it becomes like my own is too much.

Your 'friend' is at the point of divorce, and you came here to ask for advice. People shared different perspectives and your contribution was to start speculating that the friend was abusing his wife - and you egged that on with others with laughter and 'catching cruise'.

Now that you found that the matter is a more basic disagreement, you have said you've washed your hands off and even said you will not even share the responses people gave here to try and help them. So why did you ask in the first place? To bring drama to the thread and not to help your 'friend' at all, clearly.

Omo may God guide us on who we choose as friends and confide in sha.

I really do hope that the OP (i.e Thastie) will see your comment as a sincere feedback and not as a personal attack.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:45pm On May 10, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

We do not know what you're talking about, personally I think he wanted to feel what it's like being a Trillionaire with the rate of ZimboDollar grin

grin grin assumption crew member..lol Zim dollar was a lot better then, infact Zimbabwe was a great country at that time, the first place i used cash machine and mobile phone. There was nothing like that in Nigeria then before econect moved to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 7:46pm On May 10, 2023
justwise:

Illegal streaming is here to stay, very difficult to close down completely, there are far too many of them and i don't think that the police has the resource to go after them. Sky and BT are also benefiting from viewing figures as it counts for advertisement.

This is true, they do all these things to instil fear in people but like you said, they are benefiting from those viewing figures.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 10, 2023
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 8:12pm On May 10, 2023
Harat:
Please anyone know where/how or willing to borrow 15- 18k to complete our mortgage deposit. We have proof of employment of over 80k annual household income. We can provide pay slips, employment letters with a very very reputable company. Just got a very good house deal and we need to pay the deposit immediately. We will pay back fully between monthly in 9 to 12 months with interest. Verifiable address in Manchester we can meet face to face to show all the evidences. We are willing to pay back with INTEREST. Personal loan from banks are frowned at by mortgage lenders. Any advice or anyone that can help please. Deposit for the house is 35k and we currently have like 20k.
?

where una dey see this money? grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 8:15pm On May 10, 2023
koonbey:

I swear I thought this exact thing yesterday and it was quite disheartening for me. I almost talked here but figured I should keep quiet before it becomes like my own is too much.

Your 'friend' is at the point of divorce, and you came here to ask for advice. People shared different perspectives and your contribution was to start speculating that the friend was abusing his wife - and you egged that on with others with laughter and 'catching cruise'.

Now that you found that the matter is a more basic disagreement, you have said you've washed your hands off and even said you will not even share the responses people gave here to try and help them. So why did you ask in the first place? To bring drama to the thread and not to help your 'friend' at all, clearly. The story is not quite as salacious anymore so you're washing your hands.

Omo may God guide us on who we choose as friends and confide in sha.

Honestly, i don't see how this is my fault.
But then: life's is all about different perspective.
This friend of mine only cares about if he'll be deported or not.
Not even saving his marriage.
As much as I said I have washed my hands off, he still called to know if I made research for him.
I frankly told him to remember how he was living in Ondo.
Told him it'll cost him nothing to work things out with his wife: seeing as that lady as made the most effort.
How I am being blamed sounds crazy. Judging me without even knowing the efforts I have made.
Till now he hasn't even stated the reason he asked if the police will arrest him.
He hasn't stated why he agreed to the divorce.
But he affirmed that the wife is an enemy of progress who doesn't want him to pursue his dream.
Agreed wife paid all of his travel expenses.
Did not deny he only contributed half of the rent.
I jokingly asked if his wife beating him or cheating and he said no.
So what’s the reason why divorce is the only option?
So what else do you want for a 35 year old man?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:25pm On May 10, 2023
Zahra29:

Not wanting to sound judgy, but isn't it this type of behaviour that contributes to the way Nigeria is? undecided

How important is what OP wants to achieve........ 😭🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:29pm On May 10, 2023
Harat:
Please anyone know where/how or willing to borrow 15- 18k to complete our mortgage deposit. We have proof of employment of over 80k annual household income. We can provide pay slips, employment letters with a very very reputable company. Just got a very good house deal and we need to pay the deposit immediately. We will pay back fully between monthly in 9 to 12 months with interest. Verifiable address in Manchester we can meet face to face to show all the evidences. We are willing to pay back with INTEREST. Personal loan from banks are frowned at by mortgage lenders. Any advice or anyone that can help please. Deposit for the house is 35k and we currently have like 20k.

Your only option is a personal loan, or get someone you know to apply on your behalf.........

Nah £18,000 you want make someone for this thread, just drop like that........ 😂😭

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 8:32pm On May 10, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

That's another plausible angle...trust me bro, this one is bakassi grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 10, 2023
Harat:

No be juju be dis? undecided
This has to be a joke
Abeg commot for here!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 8:46pm On May 10, 2023
Daddy wa...

Please who knows about Klarna?

I just pre-ordered the below through them

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:18pm On May 10, 2023
The OP don delete the post. Imagine coming on here to ask for £15 to £18K on your very first post. If your deposit is not complete, wait till you have the complete deposit before approaching a lender or alternatively buy a cheaper house.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gmacnoms(m): 9:36pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Your only option is a personal loan, or get someone you know to apply on your behalf.........

Nah £18,000 you want make someone for this thread, just drop like that........ 😂😭
E believe your ability
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:36pm On May 10, 2023
gergemam:
Daddy wa...

Please who knows about Klarna?

I just pre-ordered the below through them

Klarna is like monzo flex, tymit credit card, zip, PayPal etc etc......

You're good to go..... It also builds your credit score......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:38pm On May 10, 2023
gmacnoms:
E believe your ability

I am ashamed to admit, I can possibly get £18,000 in 3 seconds........

But I still have sense......... 🤣🙄😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:00pm On May 10, 2023
Thastie:

Honestly, i don't see how this is my fault.
But then: life's is all about different perspective.
This friend of mine only cares about if he'll be deported or not.
Not even saving his marriage.
As much as I said I have washed my hands off, he still called to know if I made research for him.
I frankly told him to remember how he was living in Ondo.
Told him it'll cost him nothing to work things out with his wife: seeing as that lady as made the most effort.
How I am being blamed sounds crazy. Judging me without even knowing the efforts I have made.
Till now he hasn't even stated the reason he asked if the police will arrest him.
He hasn't stated why he agreed to the divorce.
But he affirmed that the wife is an enemy of progress who doesn't want him to pursue his dream.
Agreed wife paid all of his travel expenses.
Did not deny he only contributed half of the rent.
I jokingly asked if his wife beating him or cheating and he said no.
So what’s the reason why divorce is the only option?
So what else do you want for a 35 year old man?

It's not your fault. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think the general view is that you brought this issue here for laughs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 10:27pm On May 10, 2023
foxybingo:

No be juju be dis? undecided
This has to be a joke
Abeg commot for here!
grin grin This man

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by labiola: 10:48pm On May 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Who will borrow you £20 000 in uk.
Some lenders used to offer bolt on loan facility(back in the days)..........

Look at other ways to seek the 25%....... When a will exists...... A way is always available.......

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.