Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe (32605 Views)

Top 10 Hardest Masters Degrees To Study In The World / Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Calitoscassius(m): 8:45am On Aug 31, 2021
datola:
The hustle for many to get out of Nigeria under any guise is real.

I believe one day, Nigeria will be good enough for them to return to their fatherland.

Nigeria will never ever ever ever be good not in this life maybe just maybe in another life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Davidganna10: 8:48am On Aug 31, 2021
It is the same thing in even the English speaking countries (UK US, Canada).

How do you think most people legalize their stay in US, if not by marriage or continuer schooling, an m.sc /P.HD graduate in USA have a very slim chances in legalizing their stay through work sponsorship. Because most firm will not sponsor you, because of how expensive it is and even if they do it will take you minimum of 8 years to become a Permanent resident or Green card Holder. So most student have to marry to stay permanently, while some not so lucky ones continue schooling since most P.HD are funded and also pay stipends for upkeep.

For Canada, although this is the easiest country to obtain permanent residence. It is not that straightforward, because with one year college PGD you qualify for only one year PGWP which may not be enough to qualify for CEC. So most student with one year PGD/C go for another one year PGD/C so as to get 3 years PGWP which should be enough to get one year full time skill job in NOC O,A or B. And with this stand a great chance in getting Permanent residence.

In UK, with the introduction of two year post study visa, which will enable student secure a job that will sponsor their work visa. If sponsors are not forthcoming after the two years post study visa, then most students will go for P.HD which will give them more time to search for jobs with sponsors.

So you see everybody are doing everything legally possible so as not to return to this country.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Karleb(m): 8:48am On Aug 31, 2021
Bornsinner7:
I know of a boy who traveled for school since 2013.. since then Baba never come back

Sometimes it's better to be a dog in the city than a lion in the jungle

...than a dog in the jungle, you mean? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Calitoscassius(m): 8:51am On Aug 31, 2021
Why looking for white collar jobs in Belgium or Europe, peharps that is why is appears difficult to find jobs. Just look for menial jobs they even pay way much better. A road sweeper in Belgium takes more money than a bank cashier. Labourers and construction workers take even more money. Supermarkets doesn't pay well but they can offer jobs.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Calitoscassius(m): 8:54am On Aug 31, 2021
Bornsinner7:
I know of a boy who traveled for school since 2013.. since then Baba never come back

Sometimes it's better to be a dog in the city than a lion in the jungle
Why should he come back? Come back for what? Only in 2013 and you are expecting him to come back? I know nigerians who haven't gone to nigeria since 1995.

What is your point exactly? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by faoogoke(m): 8:54am On Aug 31, 2021
The flip side especially for the ladies is that they dont get married as before they know it age is much on their side.

Hard as Nigeria is God is keeping some of us and some are changing jobs every now and then.

To conclude that you wont get a job back is Nigeria is a sad commentary that in my opinion speaks greed. If you cant get a job with your

education you can start a business.

In this world you cant eat your cake and have it. Continue to stay abroad and complain, we stay here and trust God for our survival.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Klass99(f): 8:55am On Aug 31, 2021
smiley

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by DaRuud(m): 8:59am On Aug 31, 2021
If i have my ways , i will go to Europe , study for my masters 2 years , PhD 3 years, if there is no job , then proceed to do diploma in some courses , just to make me get that permanent residency .
It's better to be safe , sound and a servant in country where things work than to be in Nigeria now

Mynd44:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58319976.amp?s=08
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Bornsinner7: 9:01am On Aug 31, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Why should he come back? Come back for what? Only in 2013 and you are expecting him to come back? I know nigerians who haven't gone to nigeria since 1995.

What is your point exactly? undecided
my point is: it's better to be a dog in the city than a lion in the jungle

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02am On Aug 31, 2021
Klass99:

Sometimes it's best to come back, when your hustle over there is not yielding positive results. Returning may make all the difference and be the breakthrough one was seeking overseas.

There are Nigerian employers who are crazy about foreign trained candidates, they'll hire you in a heart bit and pay crazy money too because you schooled overseas. Competence in a field or line of work won't even matter, your foreign degree alone will get you in. I've seen this happen a lot on my sojourn in Corporate Nigeria.

It doesn't always work out fine for everyone, but it still does for most. The country may not be a safe haven or the best right now, but I still see people thriving in this same climate/Naija. Just last month, a colleague moved to a very reputable and well established organization, he is not foreign trained neither does he have a Masters and his new pay dropped my jaw grin

While this happens, it's not really common again. The economy is changing to a skills based one and companies are employing people based on what they can do and the value they can provide.

If I were the lady in the article, I will start to learn code. People are getting jobs in Belgium from Nigeria and being sponsored but her in Belgium with masters can't get a job. Lol

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by greenguy: 9:22am On Aug 31, 2021
Solatium:

Òyìnbó get sense pass us,the little wet you hold Dem go collect am come make you suffer on top paper/job that you might not get.
if care is not taken some of them will waste better productive of their life time

Definitely, a lot of people would waste away and end up achieving nothing... But they should calm down first o let me cross over because it is already difficult to cross as it stands now.
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by juman(m): 9:37am On Aug 31, 2021
They should learn how other people in that place get permanent residency without going to school forever.

Going to Estonia isn't good idea.
She should rather look towards nordic countries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by PerseDew(f): 9:45am On Aug 31, 2021
edoman2016:
Why are Nigerians obsessed with certificates? Nigerians prefer to acquire masters degree than to learn technical skills and be self employed.

In an European country like Germany, 90% if not 100% of the technical skills are taught in the native language. I assume it will be case for other European countries (excluding England) that still have their languages integrated in their ecosystem as a country.

Furthermore, the route most people go to learn the language costs a lot e.g >150 or 200 euros for just A1. Now to be admitted in a training program which is 3 years you need at least B1, B2 or C1 in the language, depends on what you want to undergo training in and the levels are A1, A2, B1.1 ,B1.2, B2.1, B2.2...C2. One could achieve C1 in a year but in most cases it takes 2 - 3 or more years and someone on a 20hrs job or sometimes a mini job in Europe won't want to part with such money.

The easiest solution is to learn skills like web development or cloud computing e.t.c or be good in the tools for the informatics side of courses e.g big data with Azure tools, R or Python for Bioinformatics for those studying Management, Business or Biology.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by motymop: 9:48am On Aug 31, 2021
Ppogbae:

That is only beneficial to them if they can find suitable work that’s commensurate with their degrees and qualifications. As mentioned in the article, there are many factors against them including racial prejudice. I truly wish them and all those embarking on a similar path nothing but the best.

You made lot of sense. Many of these type of people get loads of degrees in fields which are not useful to the society. Acquiring lot of degrees does not help career wise, westerners appreciate specialization, they love when you are an expert in a particular field and not when you are jack of all trades.

At the end of the day, these people end up working in low paying jobs because the degrees they obtained are not useful, they lack experience and the ranking of the universities they went are low

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by FKMagazine(m): 9:51am On Aug 31, 2021
That's what we are still saying in the media,
'Afghanistanism'
Loving foreign things (book, news, etc) more than your country's own
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Willie2015: 9:55am On Aug 31, 2021
Raxxye:
We die here! grin

What lift a man is not the location...
But Gods connection....
Its Heaven that elevates a Man...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Greenvaiper: 10:03am On Aug 31, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Why looking for white collar jobs in Belgium or Europe, peharps that is why is apears difficult to find jobs. Just look for menual jobs they even pay way much better. A road sweeper in Belgium takes more money than a bank cashier. Labourers and contruction workers take even more money. Supermarkets doesn't pay well but they can offer jobs.

Do you read to understand at all, or U read just to post off-point?
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by chukshobayo: 10:19am On Aug 31, 2021
pansophist:
And their adoptive countries sef are smart. They'll offer you pathways to citizenship as a professional, just to retain you and increase the valuation of their workforce, meanwhile one country somewhere in Africa does everything to either make you leave, or not return, to its own detriment.

Learnt you based in Europe. Please how can one run a PhD in Poland.
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Angeltjazz2017(m): 10:20am On Aug 31, 2021
Best choice if na me n ko
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Aksnoopy: 10:47am On Aug 31, 2021
faoogoke:

The flip side especially for the ladies is that they dont get married as before they know it age is much on their side.

Hard as Nigeria is God is keeping some of us and some are changing jobs every now and then.

To conclude that you wont get a job back is Nigeria is a sad commentary that in my opinion speaks greed. If you cant get a job with your

education you can start a business.

In this world you cant eat your cake and have it. Continue to stay abroad and complain, we stay here and trust God for our survival.
Thunder fire you!
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Tourist123: 11:04am On Aug 31, 2021
Davidganna10:
It is the same thing in even the English speaking countries (UK US, Canada).

How do you think most people legalize their stay in US, if not by marriage or continuer schooling, an m.sc /P.HD graduate in USA have a very slim chances in legalizing their stay through work sponsorship. Because most firm will not sponsor you, because of how expensive it is and even if they do it will take you minimum of 8 years to become a Permanent resident or Green card Holder. So most student have to marry to stay permanently, while some not so lucky ones continue schooling since most P.HD are funded and also pay stipends for upkeep.

For Canada, although this is the easiest country to obtain permanent residence. It is not that straightforward, because with one year college PGD you qualify for only one year PGWP which may not be enough to qualify for CEC. So most student with one year PGD/C go for another one year PGD/C so as to get 3 years PGWP which should be enough to get one year full time skill job in NOC O,A or B. And with this stand a great chance in getting Permanent residence.

In UK, with the introduction of two year post study visa, which will enable student secure a job that will sponsor their work visa. If sponsors are not forthcoming after the two years post study visa, then most students will go for P.HD which will give them more time to search for jobs with sponsors.

So you see everybody are doing everything legally possible so as not to return to this country.
Getting a permanent residency via Job sponsorship in the US doesn’t take a minimum of 8years.
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Educationalserv: 11:07am On Aug 31, 2021
TOPCRUISE:
It's worth it. Better a student in UK, than be a CV submitter in Nigeria
after the post study work visa in the UK then what? There are thousand of Nigerian in Nigeria with uk degrees working normal jobs
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by TheOgaBoss: 11:15am On Aug 31, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Why looking for white collar jobs in Belgium or Europe, peharps that is why is apears difficult to find jobs. Just look for menual jobs they even pay way much better. A road sweeper in Belgium takes more money than a bank cashier. Labourers and contruction workers take even more money. Supermarkets doesn't pay well but they can offer jobs.
but that may not guarantee u a permanent visa
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by DonroxyII: 11:16am On Aug 31, 2021
Crowwejihadist:
All these stress just to make a living.

God please help us cry
Nope, Just to make a Happy living .... Pleasurable life!!
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Nigeriadondie: 11:23am On Aug 31, 2021
Bar1941:
I wish her the very best. It's so pathetic the level of brain drain this country is currently witnessing, no thanks to all our past useless leaders especially the current lifeless dullard. I can't imagine what the fate of this country will be in the next ten years if this problem of bad leadership is not arrested. I pray by then the country disintegrated.
Past current and future leaders as there’s no hope
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Nigeriadondie: 11:24am On Aug 31, 2021
Educationalserv:
after the post study work visa in the UK then what? There are thousand of Nigerian in Nigeria with uk degrees working normal jobs
How many thousands out of the hundreds of thousands?
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Nigeriadondie: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2021
motymop:

You made lot of sense. Many of these type of people get loads of degrees in fields which are not useful to the society. Acquiring lot of degrees does not help career wise, westerners appreciate specialization, they love when you are an expert in a particular field and not when you are jack of all trades.

At the end of the day, these people end up working in low paying jobs because the degrees they obtained are not useful, they lack experience and the ranking of the universities they went are low

Listen folks, these people aren’t doing it for pursuit of knowledge but to seek pathways for them to get permanent residency. Even if they get low paying jobs what matters is for them not to come back to Buhari kingdom. I was one of such students before and I m here in Europe with my permanent residence and soon citizenship

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by RodgersAkpafu: 11:55am On Aug 31, 2021
Nigeriadondie:

Listen folks, these people aren’t doing it for pursuit of knowledge but to seek pathways for them to get permanent residency. Even if they get low paying jobs what matters is for them not to come back to Buhari kingdom. I was one of such students before and I m here in Europe with my permanent residence and soon citizenship
You must have been through a lot
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Calitoscassius(m): 11:58am On Aug 31, 2021
Greenvaiper:

Do you read to understand at all, or U read just to post off-point?
Go hit your head on the wall.
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by Calitoscassius(m): 11:59am On Aug 31, 2021
Bornsinner7:
my point is: it's better to be a dog in the city than a lion in the jungle
I still don't understand what that mean, could you explain please? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe by RodgersAkpafu: 12:01pm On Aug 31, 2021
Bar1941:
I wish her the very best. It's so pathetic the level of brain drain this country is currently witnessing, no thanks to all our past useless leaders especially the current lifeless dullard. I can't imagine what the fate of this country will be in the next ten years if this problem of bad leadership is not arrested. I pray by then the country disintegrated.
by then, Nigeria will be more populated
With misfits

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2011 Cutoff Marks Of Nigerian Universities / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students / Share Your Experience Living With Your Room Mates In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.