Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data (25537 Views)

Simon Harry Replaces Yemi Kale As Statistician-General Of The Federation / Meet Yemi Kale: The Man Governors And Ministers Fear More Than Magu Of EFCC / Unemployment Data: NBS DG, Yemi Kale Disowns Buhari And Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by micellgevity: 6:52pm On Sep 01, 2021
Yemi Kale, the immediate past Statistician-General of the Federal (SGF) said during his time in office, the President Muhammadu Buhari regime pressurised him to publish inaccurate data.

He, however, said he didn’t budge as he was bent on discharging his duties accurately.

Mr Kale who doubled as the Chief Executive Officer of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), said this during an interview with Arise TV, where he spoke on political reactions to the unemployment data published under his watch.

Data published by NBS in March this year indicated that Nigeria’s unemployment rate stood at 33.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2020 (Q4 2020), compared to 27.1 per cent in Q2.

The data was faulted by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige who accused NBS of inaccuracy and not using the right methodology.

“There has been a little confusion as to the accuracy of data generated by the NBS. So, we want to align everything tomorrow. The World Bank says the NBS methodology doesn’t conform with the global standard, especially the ILO format of arriving at such Employment Index,” Mr Ngige had said.

For Mr Kale his “extreme stubbornness” made him shun the political attacks and opinions as he ensured that the right methodology was adopted in arriving at such data.

“I’m extremely stubborn which a few of my friends have said is a requirement for the job, but on a serious note. When I started this job, I remember mentioning to my key staff that if I must do this job, I must be ready to be fired at a moment’s notice,” he said.

“I’m serving my country and I will serve it correctly and I’m ready to lose my job for doing the right things. I am not ready to keep my job for doing the wrong things. Once I convinced myself that that’s the way it was going to go.

“I didn’t particularly care about any political attacks or any opinions that were not ideal. What I did was to ensure that we followed the correct methodology.”

He challenged officeholders who had problems with the data to defend it “based on evidence they worked with it and we’ll show it to them that this is what we did.”

Mr Kale believes that faulting data provided by the NBS was a norm for any administration that never agrees with accurate statistics.

“But in terms of political interference, I don’t think it’s is new to Nigeria, I remember even in the U.S. the former president Trump will always agree with good data and he’ll say the ones he didn’t believe to have been correct. I wasn’t fazed by different comments made by different people that did not agree with our work. We are not supposed to publish data that is agreed upon by anybody.

“We are supposed to publish data that is correct and accurate in line with what comes out on the field and that’s exactly what we focused on. But I think the most important thing was ensuring that my mind was focused on the mandate of the office which was to produce reliable, accurate data,” he added.

In 2018, Garba Shehu, the special assistant to the president on media and publicity, disagreed with NBS’ method of tracking the unemployment rate in Nigeria.

Mr Shehu accused Mr Kale of publishing inaccurate figures to tarnish the reputation of the Buhari regime.

“So, I think the data collected on the bases of which some of the judgment has been passed is misleading,” the presidential aide said.

“The data has been unfair to this administration; they had ignored job creation in the area of agriculture. If you are talking about job losses, no, we have created at least 12m new jobs in the area of agriculture.”

https://gazettengr.com/buhari-regime-pushed-me-to-publish-false-economic-statistics-yemi-kale/?utm_source=operamini&utm_medium=feednews&utm_campaign=operamini_feednews

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by mrvitalis(m): 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2021
We already know na

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by houseontherock: 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2021
Falsifying data is not new to our Oga at the top and the cabal...how do you think they manage to be better than any country in terms of economy and kwaroption? If the world have a glimpse of our true level in naija, they will weep

119 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by atorioke(m): 7:03pm On Sep 01, 2021
Even the data you dropped were majorly thrash. Na you dey drop those data of Osun is economically better than Abia. Osun wey na only Osogbo, Ile-ife and Ede get small head for full state. Beggars everywhere and poor standard of living even with the cheap food and low cost of living there.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Buckeyemedia1: 7:04pm On Sep 01, 2021
houseontherock:
Falsifying data is not new to our Oga at the top and the cabal...how do you think they manage to be better than any country in terms of economy and kwaroption? If the world have a glimpse of our true level in naija, they will weep
Obasanjo & pdp masters of falsification. Government Magic, Madam Okonjo Iweala chief architect.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by LibertyRep: 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2021
Does anyone truly believe stats from government any longer?

14 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Ntigha: 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2021
We told them

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by NwaNimo1(m): 7:30pm On Sep 01, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by SpatialKing(m): 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2021
atorioke:
Even the data you dropped were majorly thrash. Na you dey drop those data of Osun is economically better than Abia. Osun wey na only Osogbo, Ogbomoso and Ede get small head for full state. Beggars everywhere and poor standard of living even with the cheap food and low cost of living there.
Ogbomoso is in Oyo
You forgot to mention Ile-Ife

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Kanixt(m): 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2021
Not only you my guy but all those working for Buhari, work under pressure

2 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by bobowaja(m): 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
atorioke:
Even the data you dropped were majorly thrash. Na you dey drop those data of Osun is economically better than Abia. Osun wey na only Osogbo, Ogbomoso and Ede get small head for full state. Beggars everywhere and poor standard of living even with the cheap food and low cost of living there.
Na wetin pain you pass be this. cheesy
Yorubaland is the best out of Nigeria. That is why some enter night bus to come to Southwest (especially Lagos) while some follow cattle and tomatoes trailers.

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Tooreda: 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2021
What the nincompoop Buhari cannot destroy does not exist. Anything Buhari touches turns to dust. What a curse to a nation Buhari is

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Danjikanbauchi: 7:59pm On Sep 01, 2021
Buhari is a Terrorist

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Obamaofusa: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2021
bobowaja:

Yorubaland is the best out of Nigeria. That is why some enter night bus to come to Southwest (especially Lagos) while some follow cattle and tomatoes trailers.

lol
He go cry tonight grin

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by obi4eze(m): 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2021
angry
Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by RZArecta(m): 9:39pm On Sep 01, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
[s]Obasanjo & pdp masters of falsification. Government Magic, Madam Okonjo Iweala chief architect.[/s]

9 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Kingspin(m): 9:44pm On Sep 01, 2021
We have had it under Buhari, from insecurity, adduction of school children to economic hardship, impoverished policies and lack of empathy for plotting this one's promising nation into deep crisis.

Buhari cannot surprise me further.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by jerryunit48: 11:16pm On Sep 01, 2021
APC. A scamm una no dey hear

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by FarahAideed: 11:18pm On Sep 01, 2021
When I said this man was being forced to publish false data many zombies insulted me and now I have been vindicated ..the Day Yemi Kale was replaced within 12 hours the new Clown at the NBS released a hoax of statistics which he termed 5 percent Growth cheesy grin

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Victerica(m): 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2021
bobowaja:

What of the ones, that trek to Lagos?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Blue3k(m): 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2021
Yemi Kale, the immediate past Statistician-General of the Federal (SGF) said during his time in office, the President Muhammadu Buhari regime pressurised him to publish inaccurate data.

He, however, said he didn’t budge as he was bent on discharging his duties accurately.

“I’m serving my country and I will serve it correctly and I’m ready to lose my job for doing the right things. I am not ready to keep my job for doing the wrong things. Once I convinced myself that that’s the way it was going to go.

“I didn’t particularly care about any political attacks or any opinions that were not ideal. What I did was to ensure that we followed the correct methodology.”

I wonder how many people actually read past the title before commenting. The guy didn't admit to publishing false stats but the opposite. I fault him for not publishing relevant stats most people care about for multiple years like the crime statistics. Even when it was published it was very badly done because it didn't adjust population differences by making per 100k. It's pretty bad when you compare it to South Africa for example.

12 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Militant30: 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2021
D
Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by christistruth01: 11:27pm On Sep 01, 2021
atorioke:
Even the data you dropped were majorly thrash. Na you dey drop those data of Osun is economically better than Abia. Osun wey na only Osogbo, Ile-ife and Ede get small head for full state. Beggars everywhere and poor standard of living even with the cheap food and low cost of living there.

You don't know Osun State

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by garfield1: 11:35pm On Sep 01, 2021
Blue3k:

I wonder how many people actually read past the title before commenting. The guy didn't admit to publishing false stats but the opposite. I fault him for not publishing relevant stats most people care about for multiple years like the crime statistics. Even when it was published it was very badly done because it didn't adjust population differences by making per 100k. It's pretty bad when you compare it to South Africa for example.

I tire oh.even the so called Farah aideed couldn't hide his gullibility

7 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by proeast(m): 11:40pm On Sep 01, 2021
Believe Nigerian government data at your own peril. Even the so called data from Yemi Kale'e NBS is nothing but total rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by omowolewa: 11:45pm On Sep 01, 2021
Please mention names

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Blue3k(m): 12:01am On Sep 02, 2021
garfield1:

They guy's a known clown who can't even see the article debunks his claims. This article is just him praising himself for doing his job with nothing of interesting asked by the interviewer. They didn't even ask him to refute the claims by others his methodology sucks.

When I started this job, I remember mentioning to my key staff that if I must do this job, I must be ready to be fired at a moment’s notice,” he said.

FarahAideed:
When I said this man was being forced to publish false data many zombies insulted me and now I have been vindicated cheesy grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by FarahAideed: 12:39am On Sep 02, 2021
garfield1:

Every sensible person knows he was under pressure to skew and manipulate national statistics, we were all here when Yemi Kale was pressured into hiding the unemployment stat for almost 24 month just so he didn't hurt Buharis re election bid

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by Gadafii: 12:45am On Sep 02, 2021
Same thing mumu otunba, current minister of trade is doing, saying nigerian economybis growing stronger, when dollar is already #520.

Buhari shall not die well, if he die well, he will never rest in peace insha Allah

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by FarahAideed: 12:45am On Sep 02, 2021
Blue3k:

They guy's a known clown who can't even see the article debunks his claims. This article is just him praising himself for doing his job with nothing of interesting asked by the interviewer. They didn't even ask him to refute the claims by others his methodology sucks.

Your life being perpetually in survival mode is making you lose any honor you have left ...You want to pretend you don't know he was under pressure to manipulate and even hide critical stat? Have you forgotten you even opened a thread here asking why Yemi Kale hadn't released the unemployment stats for almost 2 years ? You don forget?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yemi Kale Speaks About False Economic Data by garfield1: 12:59am On Sep 02, 2021
FarahAideed:

Every sensible person knows he was under pressure to skew and manipulate national statistics, we were all here when Yemi Kale was pressured into hiding the unemployment stat for almost 24 month just so he didn't hurt Buharis re election bid

That is not what you implied.you implied that he falsified stats for the fg.from the body of the interview,he clearly is incorruptible.delaying a genuine report and falsifying stats are two different things.according to you,all his datas were false which is not so

11 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Akeredolu Apologises To Clerics Over Muslim-Muslim Ticket / Dumebi Kachikwu: All Four Major Parties Rigged Presidential Poll / FG Will Pay Fuel Subsidy For 40 Days – Alison Madueke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.