Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

What Is Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Religion? (931 Views)

Why Is Religion So Bent On Suffering And Persecution / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? / Is Religion The Problem Of The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Religion? by orunto27: 9:40am On Sep 08, 2021
Religion is RelatinHng to Legends and the Application of "LET THERE BE LIGHT" IN POLITICS..

So there was RELIGION before POLITICS. THERE WAS GOD BEFORE PEOPLE POWER AND POLITICS.

IT IS GERMANE FOR RELIGION AND POLITICS TO FREELY MIX. IT IS SEARCHING FOR EXTREME WISDOM IN HUMAN FEELINGS, THINKINGS, REASONINGS, ACTIONS, INTERACTIONS AND MOVEMENTS.

From Orisa37
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 10:08am On Sep 08, 2021
orunto27:
Religion is RelatinHng to Legends and the Application of "LET THERE BE LIGHT" IN POLITICS..

So there was RELIGION before POLITICS. THERE WAS GOD BEFORE PEOPLE POWER AND POLITICS.

IT IS GERMANE FOR RELIGION AND POLITICS TO FREELY MIX. IT IS SEARCHING FOR EXTREME WISDOM IN HUMAN FEELINGS, THINKINGS, REASONINGS, ACTIONS, INTERACTIONS AND MOVEMENTS.

From Orisa37
Very wrong.

Religion is what people do in order to please or seek the favour or approval of a devine being.

The above is the common to every religion in the world with no exception.

Hindus will not eat cows
Muslims will pray 5 times a day
Christians will go to their churches
etc
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 10:08am On Sep 08, 2021
Religion is Relating to Legends and the Application of "LET THERE BE LIGHT, GOODNESS AND LIFE" IN POLITICS..

MAY GOD BLESS NAIRALAND, NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS WITH COMMON UNDERSTANDING.
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Very wrong.

Religion is what people do in order to please or seek the favour or approval of a devine being.

Hindus will not eat cows
etc

You said the answer then you altered it and made the whole answer bad.

You highlighted "what people do"which is what religion is.

Peoples Doings and (Peoples Regular Doings I say)

So you spoilt it by restricting it "obtaining favour from God/gods".

For as you said Muslims will pray 5 times a day also follows the religion of murdering non-muslims which has nothing to do with obtaining favour from divine being but a direct religion of armed robbery and joy for killing.
Re: What Is Religion? by Canvass: 11:43am On Sep 08, 2021
Religion is what people do to be in harmony with self and nature. Politics is what people do to be in harmony with others based on principle of self preservation.

The self in both often leads to self centeredness and selfishness, bastardizing the initial noble intentions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:57pm On Sep 08, 2021
Canvass:
Religion is what people do to be in harmony with self and nature. Politics is what people do to be in harmony with others based on principle of self preservation.

"Self preservation" is the word!

Also, it is not always "in harmony" though it is supposed to be.

Lostchild:

The self in both often leads to self centeredness and selfishness, bastardizing the initial noble intentions.

It is under this description that you see that people are truly unfair, unjust, unreasonable and very very wicked!

1 Like

Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 3:00pm On Sep 08, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You said the answer then you altered it and made the whole answer bad.

You highlighted "what people do"which is what religion is.

Peoples Doings and (Peoples Regular Doings I say)

So you spoilt it by restricting it "obtaining favour from God/gods".

For as you said Muslims will pray 5 times a day also follows the religion of murdering non-muslims which has nothing to do with obtaining favour from divine being but a direct religion of armed robbery and joy for killing.

The muslims who believe in physical jihad will see it different from you. They believe that they receive the favour of allah when they kill apostates and non-believers. Within every religion, there could be many different operations
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:06pm On Sep 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

The muslims who believe in physical jihad will see it different from you. They believe that they receive the favour of allah when they kill apostates and non-believers. Within every religion, there could be many different operations

We are not looking at religion how a particular person would view it but how the reasonable ordinary man everywhere knows it to be.

Which is the Doings of A People or Peoples. (Regularly, I add)
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

We are not looking at religion how a particular person would view it but how the reasonable ordinary man everywhere knows it to be.

Which is the Doings of A People or Peoples. (Regularly, I add)
Dont forget that religions differ widely from place to place and person to person. The BokoHaram and Hamas and Taliban practices an Islamic religion that is of a different flavour than the Islam of the average Nigerian. Religion doesnt have to be reasonable to everyone. I looked at Hindus with disdain when I went to New Delhi: how can I understand why the Cow I eat as food is MOTHER to some people!
Re: What Is Religion? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2021
It was Satan who introduced POLITICS and in a bid to succeed as the world's ruler he brought in many other means to promote POLITICS in among mankind.

Money
Fame
Eloquence
Charm (beauty)
Weapon and lastly
Religion!

It's not in God's plan for people to know how to practice any form of religion. All we need is obedience to life saying instructions and how to coexist peacefully with one another.
This will bring glory and honor to the Maker of intelligent creatures who have different ideas and hobbies yet live as one big and happy family.
POLITICS was Satan's ideology, as a higher intelligent and powerful spirit being he feel like ruling lesser intelligent beings (humans) and there's no way he could have done this without first turning humans against their rightful Owner and Ruler (God)

That's why Satan introduced POLITICS. He convinced the first human couple that they can start their own government without any repercussion and they both fell for the bait.

After the death of Adam and Eve, Satan began ruling mankind through different schemes unknowingly to humans who thought they're the ones ruling Satan took advantage of mankind's sinful condition and became their God! 2Corinthians 4:4

So when God later introduced Himself to Abraham, His plan was to gather faithful people (like the patriarch) throughout the earth under one umbrella before destroying the rest of mankind who are proving stubborn thinking they can solve their problems through Satan's invention "POLITICS" smiley
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Dont forget that religions differ widely from place to place and person to person...

As long as it is about the Doings of People, then I have no objection.
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 4:45pm On Sep 08, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

It is certainly about what people DO!

Even amoungst us Christians
Some don't put on Jewelries others do
Some put on shoes inside the church, others don't
Some shout when praying, others prefer it quiet
SOme feel Holiness is the most important to God, some believe more in Gods prosperity

But it is all about what people do in other to get the approval, commendation or favour from the divine

The BAD thing sometimes is that we focus on religion rather than Christ.
Jesus didn't preach religion, He preached having a relationship with the Father
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 5:02pm On Sep 08, 2021
Religion is what people do in order to please or seek the favour or approval of a devine Legend. That is Right.

All is "Relating to some mythical characters, some gods and or THE SUPREME SPIRIT GOD IN ABRAHAMISM (ISAACISM, JUDAISM, CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM FOR THE ISHMAELITES). RELATING TO OLODUMARE IN "IFA" OF ODU-DU-IWA IS A SUPER RELIGION.
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

It is certainly about what people DO!

So do people do watching football every Saturday or clubbing every Wednesday and Friday or whoring every first Friday of every month.

And these religions have nothing to do with "getting the approval, commendation or favour from the divine".

And they are exactly Doings Done by People!
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

So do people do watching football every Saturday or clubbing every Wednesday and Friday or whoring every first Friday of every month.

And these religions have nothing to do with "getting the approval, commendation or favour from the divine".

And they are exactly Doings Done by People!
I said:
shadeyinka:

Very wrong.

Religion is what people do in order to please or seek the favour or approval of a divine being.

Hindus will not eat cows
etc
Why do people watch football every saturday?
It doesn't have anything to do with the divine!

Why do people irrespective of their religion pray?
Why do people irrespective of their religion worship their deity?
Why do catholics or muslims use their rosary?
Why do Pentecostals sing and dance in their worship?
Why do people perform non medical fast of food?

It is not just any activity that constitute religion except it is connected to a deity Such activity is simply RELIGION!
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:56pm On Sep 08, 2021
shadeyinka:
It is not just any activity that constitute religion except it is connected to a deity Such activity is simply RELIGION!

And this is where I disagree with you for religion WHOLLY and BROADLY means "a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion." which also includes and covers the myopic and narrow view of all ACTIVITIES/DOINGS connected to a deity.

Which is why we rightly say "Joe read his books religiously or Sammy religiously tuned to his favourite channel"

The wider view swallows up and encompasses without any remnant, the myopic view.
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 7:12am On Sep 09, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

And this is where I disagree with you for religion WHOLLY and BROADLY means "a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion." which also includes and covers the myopic and narrow view of all ACTIVITIES/DOINGS connected to a deity.

Which is why we rightly say "Joe read his books religiously or Sammy religiously tuned to his favourite channel"

The wider view swallows up and encompasses without any remnant, the myopic view.
Please always define a word in context.
The question of the OP was "what is religion?" in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!

It's just like someone asking questions about the colour of flame. And ask the question: what is Fire?

It would be wrong if someone now define firing as shooting a gun!

Keep to context. What is the religion of a person who reads his books religiously?
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:15am On Sep 09, 2021
shadeyinka:

Please always define a word in context.
The question of the OP was "what is religion?" in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!

Op did not say "in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!"

He said "What is Religion?"
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 7:25am On Sep 09, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Op did not say "in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!"

He said "What is Religion?"
Then,
What is the religion of a person who reads his books religiously?

orunto27:

From Orisa37
Can you see legends and God in his context of definition of religion?
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:40am On Sep 09, 2021
shadeyinka:

Then, What is the religion of a person who reads his books religiously?

Simple: The seriousness and devotion and regularity of reading "his books"!

Reading his books, is his DOINGS, hence his religion.

shadeyinka:

First, we all know that Oronto is "unwell" and imbalanced therefore, I did not follow him.

But the Topic of the thread is clear which "What is Religion?"

And he could submit the narrow view but I will still come to present the wider and all encompassing view against him and anyone who narrows it.

Secondly, he too, in that very statement also went beyond the narrow view in saying "Religion is RelatinHng to Legends and the Application of "LET THERE BE LIGHT" IN POLITICS..

IT IS GERMANE FOR RELIGION AND POLITICS TO FREELY MIX. IT IS SEARCHING FOR EXTREME WISDOM IN HUMAN FEELINGS, THINKINGS, REASONINGS, ACTIONS, INTERACTIONS AND MOVEMENTS."

And the matters those highlights are concerned with are not restricted to "in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!"
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 7:54am On Sep 09, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Simple: The seriousness and devotion and regularity of reading "his books"!

Reading his books, is his DOINGS, hence his religion.

First, we all know that Oronto is "unwell" and imbalanced therefore, I did not follow him.

But the Topic of the thread is clear which "What is Religion?"

And he could submit the narrow view but I will still come to present the wider and all encompassing view against him and anyone who narrows it.

Secondly, he too, in that very statement also went beyond the narrow view in saying "Religion is RelatinHng to Legends and the Application of "LET THERE BE LIGHT" IN POLITICS..

IT IS GERMANE FOR RELIGION AND POLITICS TO FREELY MIX. IT IS SEARCHING FOR EXTREME WISDOM IN HUMAN FEELINGS, THINKINGS, REASONINGS, ACTIONS, INTERACTIONS AND MOVEMENTS."

And the matters those highlights are concerned with are not restricted to "in the context of WORSHIP of a deity!"
The OP was linking religion to CONTROL...here is where the Politics comes in.

I sleep every night religiously, therefore is my religion also sleeping?

I almost never miss my dinner, is my religion also supper eating?

I almost never late to work, is my religion promptness to work?

Define things according to its context
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:41pm On Sep 09, 2021
shadeyinka:

The OP was linking religion to CONTROL...here is where the Politics comes in.

Do you real-eyes the you keep changing positions? From "what is religion to what the Op said to context of definition now to Op was linking" moving all over the place.

shadeyinka:

Define things according to its context

It is settled that Religion means " Doings of Peoples" but can Involuntary Doings such as sleeping, eating, walking be considered religion, since they are also doings by people? This is a T-junction and people can rightly go either way, so I do not care to participate in it.

But very clearly and without any iota of debate, ALL VOLUNTARY DOINGS ARE RELIGIONS whether praying or having sex or refusal to have sex with a person who is not the wife/husband, murdering, worshipping a deity etc are all DOINGS OF PEOPLES!
Re: What Is Religion? by shadeyinka(m): 4:48pm On Sep 09, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Do you real-eyes the you keep changing positions? From "what is religion to what the Op said to context of definition now to Op was linking" moving all over the place.

It is settled that Religion means " Doings of Peoples" but can Involuntary Doings such as sleeping, eating, walking be considered religion, since they are also doings by people? This is a T-junction and people can rightly go either way, so I do not care to participate in it.

But very clearly and without any iota of debate, ALL VOLUNTARY DOINGS ARE RELIGIONS whether praying or having sex or refusal to have sex with a person who is not the wife/husband, murdering, worshipping a deity etc are all DOINGS OF PEOPLES!

If I understand you well,

I must have a thousand and one religion by your definition
Re: What Is Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:32pm On Sep 09, 2021
shadeyinka:

If I understand you well,

I must have a thousand and one religion by your definition

You do understand me well for I clearly paid my respect to the distinction between "Involuntary" Doings and Voluntary Doings!
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 3:47am On Sep 10, 2021
shadeyinka:

Then,

A person who reads his Book religiously is seeking WISDOM KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING. THESE ARE GOD'S NAMES. AND ARE QIALITIES USUALLY ARROGATED TO LEGENDS
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 3:54am On Sep 10, 2021
shadeyinka:

Then,

A person who reads his Book religiously is seeking WISDOM KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING. THESE ARE GOD'S NAMES. AND ARE QIALITIES USUALLY ARROGATED TO LEGENDS. WISDOM KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING ARE QUALITIES SOUGHT AFTER, FOR POWER MIGHT AND HOPE IN POLITICS.
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 4:28am On Sep 10, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
It was Satan who introduced POLITICS and in a bid to succeed as the world's ruler he brought in many other means to promote POLITICS in among mankind.

Money
Fame
Eloquence
Charm (beauty)
Weapon and lastly
Religion!

It's not in God's plan for people to know how to practice any form of religion. All we need is obedience to life saying instructions and how to coexist peacefully with one another.
This will bring glory and honor to the Maker of intelligent creatures who have different ideas and hobbies yet live as one big and happy family.
POLITICS was Satan's ideology, as a higher intelligent and powerful spirit being he feel like ruling lesser intelligent beings (humans) and there's no way he could have done this without first turning humans against their rightful Owner and Ruler (God)

That's why Satan introduced POLITICS. He convinced the first human couple that they can start their own government without any repercussion and they both fell for the bait.

After the death of Adam and Eve, Satan began ruling mankind through different schemes unknowingly to humans who thought they're the ones ruling Satan took advantage of mankind's sinful condition and became their God! 2Corinthians 4:4

So when God later introduced Himself to Abraham, His plan was to gather faithful people (like the patriarch) throughout the earth under one umbrella before destroying the rest of mankind who are proving stubborn thinking they can solve their problems through Satan's invention "POLITICS" smiley

You have rated SATAN too highly for simply doing ITS JOB FOR THE SUPREME SPIRIT. Well done for blowing up the Topic this much.

POLITICS IS POWER TOOLS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF INTERACTION AND LIFE OF CHRIST IN HUMANS. POLITICS IS ALSO POWER TOOLS HUMANS GET FOR HOPE TO ACHIEVE HUMAN ASPIRATIONS. POLITICS IS A GOD GIVEN SPIRIT OF INTERACTION AND LIFE.
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 4:48am On Sep 10, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

RELIGION IS MANAGING POLITICS (POWER) TO SHINE THE LIGHT OF GOD, SHOW THE GOODNESS OF GOD AND LIVE THE LIFE OF GOD IN YOU AND IN RIGHTEOUSNESS BEFORE THE SUPREME SPIRIT.
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 4:51am On Sep 10, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

RELIGION IS MANAGING POLITICS (POWER) TO SHINE THE LIGHT OF GOD, SHOW THE GOODNESS OF GOD AND LIVE THE LIFE OF GOD IN YOU AND IN RIGHTEOUSNESS BEFORE THE SUPREME SPIRIT.

RELIGION IS MANAGING POLITICS TO PLEASE THE SUPREME SPIRIT.
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 5:34am On Sep 10, 2021
Canvass:

Just watch SAAD ABU, THE SULTAN AND ABU GUMI, THE SHEIKH THE WAY THE TWO ARE MANIPULATING NIGERIA TO DO THEIR BIDDINGS.
Re: What Is Religion? by Myer(m): 5:35am On Sep 10, 2021
Canvass:

Religion is man's need for meaning to his existence.
Politics is man's need for governance.
Re: What Is Religion? by orisa37: 5:37am On Sep 10, 2021
Canvass:

Just watch SAAD ABU, THE SULTAN AND ABU GUMI, THE SHEIKH THE WAY THE TWO ARE MANIPULATING NIGERIA TO DO THEIR BIDDINGS.

RELIGION IS INDIVIDUAL'S SCHEMES TO GET THE SUPREME SPIRIT FOR OUR PRAYERS.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Reverse The Side Effects Of Excessive Masturbation...... / Sheikh Ahmad Gumi Biography, Age, Career, Net Worth | Lifestyle / Did Jesus Really Died For Three Days And Three Nights ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.