Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? (11700 Views)

Should I Disown My Father And Forget About Him? / I Was Chosen As King: Should I Damn The Consequence Or Forget About It Entirely? / Why Nigerian Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Peppysco: 11:22am On Sep 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

Forget here does not mean to be erased from your memory.
It implies you don't allow any offences of yesterday to be a factor in your judgements & decisions of today.

Now, the question is, can you do what you've just posted?
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Gerrard59(m): 11:26am On Sep 11, 2021
No.

Forgive Northern Nigeria's Christians for their participation in slaughtering Igbos during the Civil War as a result of ignorance but don't forget the act. If you practice forgive and forget, you might as well erase history.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by seyz91(m): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2021
Confirm!
mardis:
There is forgive but definitely not forget. Infact anybody that says he/she has forgotten is a big LIER

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by seyz91(m): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2021
That mantra "forgive and forget"

Is a very big scam

People forgive but never forget

It is what it is
binarymachine:
“Okay, back up a second, I can do forgiveness but you see forgetting? Uh uh I can’t. You see I come from a long line of historians, we keep track of people who have done us wrong, so I am definitely not going to do that. People do not actually change, they say they do but they don’t, you have to shine your eyes, watch out for the next time they are going to do the same thing, so you toss them off and move on”.

Wait- that’s a whole lot of work, to watch out for someone’s mistakes. Well let’s move on.
Now, What Does It Actually Mean To Forgive?
Well, from the English Dictionary It means;

a) To absolve somebody completely for a past or wrong doing;
b) to pardon with neither resentment nor a view to retribution.

Now To Forget means to overlook, pass over, disremember.

Look at the second definition of Forgive carefully, it says to pardon “without resentment”. How would you forgive someone and then still have that chip on your shoulder. Wait, What? What kind of chip? Well it’s the one you have as a constant reminder that somehow, somewhere that person you just forgave will repeat the same thing or even worse do something more terrible to you. So you tell the person you have forgiven him/her and you convince yourself that you have, but deep within, you sure know you’re holding back.

Robert Brault said- “If you can’t forgive and forget, pick one”. I would beg to disagree because you see,
If you pick forgiving and decide not to forget, often times you may find yourself stuck. How so? When you forgive an individual for wronging you, you give yourself the opportunity to move on,to grow. If the person is your friend, you know he/she won’t deliberately hurt you and even if they do, it would be a mistake, and they would immediately apologise.

Now, the growth process will make this person (friend or not) to be a better individual if he chooses to. But most importantly you will be a better person and you will feel good, better you would feel great.
Look at it this way? How would you feel if you lashed out on your friend in anger. She is hurt and you apologise quickly, you didn’t mean to hurt her, but for your “quick tongue”. She says she has forgiven you and now you have the past behind you and both move on. Seems the friendship is progressing until six months later, you lashed out on her again, this time not deliberately.

The therapist you’ve been visiting for the past months said you breathe in and breathe out for at least five seconds before saying anything when angry. It has been working but today you slipped, this one time, so you apologise. She is enraged, she looks you in the face and says you’ll never change, that you’d keep doing the same thing over and over again, to make matters worse, she goes down memory lane to recount each of your past misdoings. Yes I know how you would feel. Your shoulders are slumped, you’re sorry and hurt.

You realize now, she didn’t actually forgive you, she just told you she did but she didn’t in the real sense of the word. The progress you were trying to make to be a better person now looks like a mirage. You feel terrible. Then you may decide to break off the relationship to stay true to yourself and be with someone who would help your growth process. Or worse, you may decide to believe that you aren’t going to be a better individual, that you will never change and pretty soon it will take a toll on you.
On the other hand, to truly forget a wrong, you have to go through a process of healing, which will make it easy for you to move on.

After all, Confucius said-” To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it”. This can’t really happen without you forgiving the person who hurt you and forgiving yourself. You forgive yourself for letting this person into your life, and letting him/her hurt you that way.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, forgiving and forgetting a person’s wrong shouldn’t make you to constantly allow toxicity in your life or allow people who constantly bring you down to remain. Sometimes if it’s a friendship, forgetting may mean to shut the door completely and never look back, never allow such a fellow into your life again. It helps your sanity.

In forgiving and forgetting, you get to be wiser, stronger and very powerful- you are in control of your emotions. You know the people to avoid in the future and you know the people to let in, you know the steps to take when wrong and you know how to let go and move on. I’ll conclude with this quote by Mahatma Gandhi, “The weak can never forgive, forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.”
Source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/08/25/is-there-such-a-thing-as-forgive-and-forget/

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by seggexco(m): 11:28am On Sep 11, 2021
Except you have lost your memory as human, the truth however remains that you can forgive but never forget. The word forget means not taking vengeance when you remember the thing that was done to you.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:32am On Sep 11, 2021
Fiscus105:

@cancelled

Magnitude
Thank you, that's the word.
Omo, I get plenty things wey I dey think.
Shukran bizef mon ami.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by benjanny(m): 11:33am On Sep 11, 2021
We Only Forgive But We Don't Really Forget
Then Again, Forgiveness Is Not Lost Of Memory
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Nteogwuija(m): 11:33am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgive and forget is not even in the Bible, so I wonder how Christians always refer to that phrase.

Those two words do not correlate in any way.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 11, 2021
I don't know how to forgive people it's not in my nature....I'm very gentle and I love being indoors
I always mind my business but I hear a lot of people say this guy is proud he doesn't even talk to us but there's a reason why I'm a loner my anger is terrible I'm afraid to get angry cause I do real damage..
Someone offended me right from my primary 2 and up till tomorrow I still remember but I pray not to meet him cause anywhere I see him I know my anger will take over and they're plenty like that it's like I'm partially blind when I get angry I've been like that from my childhood I remember one time my mom told me if someone makes me angry my eyes would become red but I will just be smiling...I really need help before I off somebody cause it's worse now
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by gabicon: 11:40am On Sep 11, 2021
binarymachine:
“Okay, back up a second, I can do forgiveness but you see forgetting? Uh uh I can’t. You see I come from a long line of historians, we keep track of people who have done us wrong, so I am definitely not going to do that. People do not actually change, they say they do but they don’t, you have to shine your eyes, watch out for the next time they are going to do the same thing, so you toss them off and move on”.

Wait- that’s a whole lot of work, to watch out for someone’s mistakes. Well let’s move on.

Look at the second definition of Forgive carefully, it says to pardon “without resentment”. How would you forgive someone and then still have that chip on your shoulder. Wait, What? What kind of chip? Well it’s the one you have as a constant reminder that somehow, somewhere that person you just forgave will repeat the same thing or even worse do something more terrible to you. So you tell the person you have forgiven him/her and you convince yourself that you have, but deep within, you sure know you’re holding back.

Robert Brault said- “If you can’t forgive and forget, pick one”. I would beg to disagree because you see,
If you pick forgiving and decide not to forget, often times you may find yourself stuck. How so? When you forgive an individual for wronging you, you give yourself the opportunity to move on,to grow. If the person is your friend, you know he/she won’t deliberately hurt you and even if they do, it would be a mistake, and they would immediately apologise.

Now, the growth process will make this person (friend or not) to be a better individual if he chooses to. But most importantly you will be a better person and you will feel good, better you would feel great.
Look at it this way? How would you feel if you lashed out on your friend in anger. She is hurt and you apologise quickly, you didn’t mean to hurt her, but for your “quick tongue”. She says she has forgiven you and now you have the past behind you and both move on. Seems the friendship is progressing until six months later, you lashed out on her again, this time not deliberately.

The therapist you’ve been visiting for the past months said you breathe in and breathe out for at least five seconds before saying anything when angry. It has been working but today you slipped, this one time, so you apologise. She is enraged, she looks you in the face and says you’ll never change, that you’d keep doing the same thing over and over again, to make matters worse, she goes down memory lane to recount each of your past misdoings. Yes I know how you would feel. Your shoulders are slumped, you’re sorry and hurt.

You realize now, she didn’t actually forgive you, she just told you she did but she didn’t in the real sense of the word. The progress you were trying to make to be a better person now looks like a mirage. You feel terrible. Then you may decide to break off the relationship to stay true to yourself and be with someone who would help your growth process. Or worse, you may decide to believe that you aren’t going to be a better individual, that you will never change and pretty soon it will take a toll on you.
On the other hand, to truly forget a wrong, you have to go through a process of healing, which will make it easy for you to move on.

After all, Confucius said-” To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it”. This can’t really happen without you forgiving the person who hurt you and forgiving yourself. You forgive yourself for letting this person into your life, and letting him/her hurt you that way.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, forgiving and forgetting a person’s wrong shouldn’t make you to constantly allow toxicity in your life or allow people who constantly bring you down to remain. Sometimes if it’s a friendship, forgetting may mean to shut the door completely and never look back, never allow such a fellow into your life again. It helps your sanity.

In forgiving and forgetting, you get to be wiser, stronger and very powerful- you are in control of your emotions. You know the people to avoid in the future and you know the people to let in, you know the steps to take when wrong and you know how to let go and move on. I’ll conclude with this quote by Mahatma Gandhi, “The weak can never forgive, forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.”
Source:

There is definitely a forgive and forget phenomenon, most people say they can forgive but they can't forget, the truth is that what sustains forgiveness is forgetting past hurt, the two entities have to be mutually inclusive for it to work.

The biggest question here is what does it mean to forget, I will define it as to stop thinking about the situation and stop talking about the situation. The reason we can't remember remember half of what has been taught us in school is because we don't think about it and we don't talk about it, but the minute we begin to dwell on the thoughts, the past begin to run wild on our emotions. We don't forget because we have a short memory we forget because we choose to.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by IMASTEX: 11:49am On Sep 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

Forget here does not mean to be erased from your memory.
It implies you don't allow any offences of yesterday to be a factor in your judgements & decisions of today.
How do you learn from the previous mistake then?! undecided undecided He that doesn't learn from pass errors will experience it again. If your help tries to get you poisoned, you won't just say you forgive & also forget to sack her or if you ever rehire another one that you wouldn't be more conscious with the person.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by naija1stnigar(m): 11:58am On Sep 11, 2021
The human mind is made up of two compartments: the conscious mind and the subconscious mind. To break it down the conscious mind makes us aware of what we are doing in a particular moment like someone who is sitting on a bike or someone who is eating in order not to go against the rules that guides that moment, and we have the subconscious mind which reminds us of what as happened to us in the last few hours, days, months, etc. Like if anyone asks me about what I ate this morning I should be able to answer without any problem. If someone therefore offended you and later pleaded for forgiveness it is good you forgive that person. Forgiveness changes what is to happen and not what has happened, it is not possible to forget what happened to you as a human being with sound mental capacity especially when an emotion is attached to it only religious people try to obsess themselves with this mentality of forgiving and forgetting. God himself knew that the heart of men is desperately wicked some people feign their plea for forgiveness in order to gain access into people's lives and wreck more havoc that's why he made our hearts to be always keep records of events. anyone who naively his offenders open arms without putting a boundary to the level of access they should have should get ready to bear more pains. In a nutshell, all am trying to say is that forgiveness is to maintain healthy relationship with people but your ability to always remember what had happened helps you to protect yourself from potential damage. God bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by 9ja083: 11:59am On Sep 11, 2021
As for me, I can forgive but I will never forget their names so that I will be able to trace them when they try to repeat such nonsense. Keep your distance first and code have to be changed
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Geesunny: 11:59am On Sep 11, 2021
Yes,you can forgive and forget. Forget does not mean erasing it from memory but that you have no intention of punishing the person for what he or she had done or retaliation.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2021
Yes there is but if there was relationship before the incident, just know that it's over completely..

Me sef I be Human Being.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Johel(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
binarymachine:

Source:

Anybody can forgive,but they can never forget.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Ensquare(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2021
No
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by mardis: 1:06pm On Sep 11, 2021
Myer:

English will still cause the next world war. cheesy

As you can see from the attached definitions. 4th definition does not mean you don't have the memory but you choose to stop bringing up the issue.
Forgetting here is a choice of not bringing up the issue next time.

So when they say Forgive and Forget, it simply means you have forgiven the person and you have chosen not to bring up the issue next time.

This is where most ladies need to learn.
Women never forget to bring up old issues. This is called nagging.

Your own con different, not bringing up the issue again? The bone of contention is 'forget' i can decide not to bring up the issue again that doesn't meant it has left my memory.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by mardis: 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
phemmyfour:
You don't know anything

No true forgiveness exist without forgetting cos you ll always give REVENGE a chance in your heart if you did not FORGET

This is your own perception about 'forget'. In my own case, i can never forget especially if it is deep that doesn't mean i will avenge. I won't avenge because i have forgiven already and move on.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by mardis: 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
Bmaster:
there is forget!!!

But it really takes a lot of years!!!!

Well, it depends on how deep though
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by phemmyfour: 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2021
mardis:

This is your own perception about 'forget'. In my own case, i can never forget especially if it is deep that doesn't mean i will avenge. I won't avenge because i have forgiven already and move on.
Easier said than done
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by ukaface(f): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2021
Nothing like that
Even though you forgive, you can never forget
Once that person name is mentioned you go automatically remember
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by BluntCrazeMan: 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2021
binarymachine:

Source:

I forgive you and forget you.
There won't be a second chance because you have been erased from the memory and forgotten.
Or, is there any other definition of FORGIVE AND FORGET??
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by BluntCrazeMan: 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2021
mardis:

Your own con different, not bringing up the issue again? The bone of contention is 'forget' i can decide not to bring up the issue again that doesn't meant it has left my memory.
But if I forgive someone and unfriend him and forget everything about him too..
Is that not what we mean by FORGIVE AND FORGET??
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Owologbo(m): 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2021
beautyhd:
Forgive yes but forget 90 percent impossible.

Humans are wired in a way that unpleasant experiences are stored in our sub conscious memory that we can try all possible best to obliterate it but its still there.

Thats why there is PTSD, in western worlds it calls for concern and hence some therapies needed to manage it.

People can forgive and forget minor issues but whatever that put them through agony and shame cannot be forgotten.

To forgive is right and easy but, how do you forget something you are supposed to learn from?
Not forgetting makes one to make/take the right decision in the future.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Myer(m): 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2021
mardis:

Did you read my post or only the bolded?
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by MrLeks: 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2021
The concept "forgive and forget" originates with God himself. We can see this in Jeremiah 31:34 "... for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more".
By saying, He will remember their sin no more, God is assuring us that once he forgives our sins, he will not bring it up again in order to accuse,condem or punish us. Not necessarily that his memory will fail him because God is a perfect being and cannot suffer failed memory.
Like God, how can we also forgive and forget today?
We may never completely forget what was done, but we can forget in the sense that we don't hold it against the offender, bring the matter up again at some future time nor gossip about it again. That way we are imitating God.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Gfskw: 7:55pm On Sep 11, 2021
Don’t forget
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by mardis: 10:26pm On Sep 11, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
But if I forgive someone and unfriend him and forget everything about him too..
Is that not what we mean by FORGIVE AND FORGET??

It is impossible to forget everything about a friend you unfriend. Yes! It is impossible especially if the hurt is deep, it will heal definitely but that scar is still there. There is that subconscious memory that will just be popping up things you claim to have forgotten. And you not forgetting or remembering once in a while doesn't mean you have any bad intentions towards the person. Some you might not get to see again them foe the rest of your life.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 11:40pm On Sep 11, 2021
mardis:
There is forgive but definitely not forget. Infact anybody that says he/she has forgotten is a big LIER

I agree with you. There is nothing like forgetting. But when you have forgiven someone, even when your remember the incident, it won’t hurt and you won’t feel the urge to revenge. That’s when you know you have really forgiven the person.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by mardis: 1:27am On Sep 12, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:

I agree with you. There is nothing like forgetting. But when you have forgiven someone, even when your remember the incident, it won’t hurt and you won’t feel the urge to revenge. That’s when you know you have really forgiven the person.

Yeah right
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by caandi: 10:03am On Sep 12, 2021
binarymachine:

Source:

nothing like long line of historians here. It’s your personality and temperament that played a major role in that. They’re people that forgive and forget and it all boils down to your temperament and personality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? / When A Cheating Spouse Dies / Father's Day: What Did You Learn From Your Father, That Has Helped You In Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.