Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience (11841 Views)

12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves / What's The Most Painful Loss You Have Had This Year 2020? / What Is The Most Painful/hurtful Thing Your Boss Has Ever Said To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Dogshow(m): 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2021
Good evening Nairalanders,
In June this year, I applied for a fellowship program that took me roughly 3 weeks to finalize and submitted successfully. But I received the shock of my life after getting a "NO"

Please note, it won't have been so traumatic if I had gotten the instant no after the day they promised to get back to us whether being shortlisted or rejected. It was after I sent a mail to one of the leading directors, and that one informed me to mail another recipient in which I did and got an instant "NO" as if they'd be waiting for my mail. So horrible!

Fellow nairalanders, kindly share yours.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Omicron007: 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2021
shocked

I had one kind job like that.
My supervisor won't let me rest. She wanted me to shine her Congo.
She had this very big and voluptuous yansh.

Don't ask me if I eventually shined her congo.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2021
sad

I think I've only applied to a job or 2 sha

Nah agriculture i dey use gbera

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
I was working as a teacher at a community that's 30 minutes away from where I lived at the time. I had to get free ride to and from everyday and sometimes I took buses.
Salary was 13k per month as a degree holder (2.1) and I got fined 200 from my salary for each time I was late.
I woke up late one day and decided I need to stop this. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) asked if I had a plan and I said no but I'm done suffering like this.
I won't tell you the rest of the story but today, I have my own tech company, my wife has her own beauty business and we both have a standard school we started together. We are happy.
Never allow yourself to be used by evil bosses. If you don't quit, you won't know what your next move should be.

207 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by qanda: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by AfroBeatDiary: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
GNLD... The name alone is painful.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Xloclwise: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ordinary things nor day move me again

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by IamAsiri: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
Lol
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
Dogshow:
In June this year, I applied for a fellowship program that took me roughly 3 weeks to finalize and submitted successfully. But I received the shock of my life after getting a "NO"

Please note, it won't have been so traumatic if I had gotten the instant no after the day they promised to get back to us whether being shortlisted or rejected. It was after I sent a mail to one of the leading directors, and that one informed me to mail another recipient in which I did and got an instant "NO" as if they'd be waiting for my mail. So horrible!

Getting a NO in anything in life is definitely not the end of the world.
You can only dust your butt and go higher in life.
It's a ladder for more success.

A year ago, I believed that fellowship grant writing was simple.  After all, it was only a couple pages, and I had written personal statements in the past.  I discovered that the process was challenging, frustrating, and rewarding.  

I approached grant writing as I would any essay.  It was a mistake!  I painfully learned that grants have their own style and form.  The writing is extremely technical and involves scrutinizing every sentence for syntax and word for definition.  In addition, you have to make your point clearly and in a short amount of space.  To make each sentence build upon each other, surprisingly, takes months of revisions.  I found that as someone who was accustomed to writing academic papers with big words and labyrinthine phrases, the simplicity and clarity of grant writing was a challenge.  Joy Viveros (the fellowship advisor) constantly challenged me to rethink every detail of my statement of purpose.  She devoted countless hours to my application.  

In the end, my writing improved tremendously (both in technique and in overall clarity of thought). Even if I do not get the grant, the process helped me to better master the art of writing. I loved the challenge, and I encourage everyone who loves learning to try it at some point.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Lamanii22(f): 7:29pm On Sep 11, 2021
Getting a "no" is the worst thing ever! It has happened to me many times ..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Onyi22(f): 7:29pm On Sep 11, 2021
It's a story for another day, may God bless the work of our hands
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by inoki247: 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
lol the day wey I no fit forget for my life na d day wey I waka from Mushin to Ketu...

nd dat time no b lik now dat alot of app can borrow u urgent money...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
Omo I can't talk... Next week eh.

May God help me survive it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Mr100Dollars: 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
My boss owed me for like 6 months before i left the job, out of the 6 months salary, he paid me half of one month. I collected it because of POVERTY, but that was the last time i work for someone base on salary. I can only work for someone again when I'm abroad, never will i work for a Nigérian boss again

Kelvin30286063:
I was working as a teacher at the community that's 30 minutes away from where I lived at the time. I had to get free ride to and from everyday and sometimes I take bus.
Salary was 13k per month as a degree holder (2.1) and if I'm late, I got fined 200 from my salary for each time I was late.
I woke up late one day and decided I need to stop this. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) asked if I had a plan and I said no but I'm done suffering like this.
I won't tell you the rest of the story but today, I have my own tech company, my wife has her own beauty business and the family have a standard school of our own. We are happy.
Never allow yourself to be used by evil bosses. If you don't quit, you won't know what your next move should be.

More wins bossman, you're a living testimony, your post is an inspiration

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Pavore9: 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
i
AfroBeatDiary:
GNLD... The name alone is painful.

Is GNLD still existing? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Sonnobax15(m): 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2021
lipsrsealed
Its a part of life..
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by FutureIsFemale(f): 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2021
Dogshow:

I never work since I was born. I'm a boss lady

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Bornsinner7: 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2021
No be small thing
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Zico5(m): 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2021
I did one test like that at zenith bank in Ibadan some years ago. The most painful part is that I came first in the test. Out of like 49 that were called for the test only 7 were shortlisted for the main interview. I was so happy that I have gotten the job. Even the interview was just a formality cos the questions were about how I managed to lead the test despite coming late and other questions surrounding my course of study. I got the biggest shock of my life when I was told they have called 3 candidates that were successful. Though it was an insider job but I thought I deserved to be called for the job. It was that day I knew that even if u have oga at the top, your oga may also have another which is being controlled by another oga at the top. This Nigeria don cast no be today.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by nizelgirl(f): 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2021
All this people that are typing T and E. How does that answer the Op. Question.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 7:32pm On Sep 11, 2021
Damn it
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by BigDan69: 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2021
Omo

Muneee was after the first stage down to the second and they promised me my presentation was perfect saying I had qualify for the finals, which was the training, still waiting o [color=#990000][/color] cry cry
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by BeboNGN: 7:35pm On Sep 11, 2021
post=105721106:
Getting a NO in anything in life is definitely not the end of the world. You can only dust your butt and go higher in life. It's a ladder for more success.

Instant NO
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by adaperry25: 7:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
1st was a multinational company. I had a virtual interview with them and later when I checked on them, they said they had gotten another candidate.

2nd was tony elumelu grant. It was heartbreaking after 8 months.

We move regardless

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by somethinggood(m): 7:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
Yes, British American Tobacco, it pained me so much before they said I am not qualified! Secondly, after recieving a call from a lady from Diamond bank in 2014, after every every, she asked me if I am ready to resume Monday next week, which I answered yes, she then told me to call them the next day asking to speak to xyz. The following day, I kept trying to call back with my main line, it wasn't connecting. Used my other line and a different lady picked, Instead of me to ask to speak to the other lady, I just went straight talking with this person that picked. She now asked me who do I want to speak with before it occurred to me that I was talking to a receptionists... I asked to speak with the main lady but she told me she has closed for the day. It pained me eh. If I had known, I for try calling them using my other line since my main line wasn't connecting.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by bodybuilder: 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2021
Hmm
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by philcz(m): 7:41pm On Sep 11, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
I was working as a teacher at the community that's 30 minutes away from where I lived at the time. I had to get free ride to and from everyday and sometimes I take bus.
Salary was 13k per month as a degree holder (2.1) and if I'm late, I got fined 200 from my salary for each time I was late.
I won't tell you the rest of the story but today, I have my own tech company, my wife has her own beauty business and the family have a standard school of our own. We are happy.
This is inspiring. Are you leveraging the cloud for your tech company’s infrastructure?
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Originalsly: 7:42pm On Sep 11, 2021
Dogshow:

It was after I sent a mail to one of the leading directors, and that one informed me to mail another recipient in which I did and got an instant "NO" as if they'd be waiting for my mail.

Hmmm.

Likely a professional company.... you did not follow standard protocol. You don't consult a leading director about job application. If employed ... you are likely not to follow protocol... and should something not go right... you may consult his boss. He. can't take such risk with you... and followed protocol by directing you to the person you should be talking to ... but also directed that person to reject you.

@ topic .... worked overnight at a toy store packing the shelves... didn't last long... too many damn toys !

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:42pm On Sep 11, 2021
philcz:
This is inspiring. Are you leveraging the cloud for your tech company’s infrastructure?
Yes and I also have an office in Akure. One inside shoprite and another at my permanent site at the other side of town.
Re: Share Your Most Painful Job/fellowship Experience by autolearner: 7:44pm On Sep 11, 2021
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ceo's Resources Ltd @agege Are They Real? Pls Help Confirm / Who Else Got This? Prosperite Concept Investment Limited / ICPC Second Test Invite.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.