Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update (22722 Views)

12 States Plan Power Projects, Anger Spreads Over Tariff Hike / Naira Crisis: States Plan Contempt Proceedings Against Malami, Emefiele / INEC Budget: Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by uthlaw: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
BeardedMeat:
Are there no Igbos that were part and parcel of birthing APC? Igbos who have made their marks in the sands of time.
Why are they not eligible?
5%!
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Tzar(m): 12:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
Great idea by the progressive SW. We are willing to share & help one another grow in the SW, as one or two rich men in the family of 6 is just as poor as their siblings.
We are not willing to share with lazy & entitled parasites especially from the North!
If the North claims they have a huge population, that huge population should translate to relatively huge consumption. Therefore, they should have relatively high VAT / consumption tax collected.
The good thing is that numbers don’t lie & VAT collection has exposed the Northern LIE of a disproportionate humongous population!

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by harjay1986: 12:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
Ade3131:
[b][/b]

Let's see it this way sir. You're a producer of chocolate bars and your corporate office is in Lagos due to nearness to the market. However, your production plant is in Ondo state due to proximity to raw material and cheap labour.

The scenario painted above is exactly what happens in the case of IOC companies. Let's now ask ourselves if it is right for the company who situated its headquarters in Lagos for strategic reasons should pay tax to Ondo state because their production factory and raw materials comes from there or they should pay tax to the state that houses their corporate presence.

In my opinion, Ondo state can only lay claim to tenament rate and the income tax of those workers within her territory while Lagos have every right to collect tax on whatever the company declared as profit because that's where the market is.

To buttress this point, companies in Lagos whose staff live in Ibafo, Mowe, Agbara and other Ogun state communities but journey down to Lagos everyday to work, those companies do not pay income tax of those employees to Lagos state government. I know this for a fact. They only pay income tax of those who live in Lagos to the Lagos state government and this has been on for a very long time. This same argument goes for the case of the IOCs. They're only entitle to pay income tax of their staffs who work on the upstream or downstream to their state of residence and nothing else. In as much as their head office continue to remain in Lagos, it is 100% legal for them to pay their taxes to Lagos state government.

good with this write up if they have to push for this according to DIRI delta willstill earn low because the majority of the taxwill be pay to Lagos like cooperate taxe and most of the workers now leave in Lagos .. I think the only wayout is that the two government should meet one on one and agree on a sharing pattern since the tax involve the two communities

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by CapitalBank: 12:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
Diri faults IOCs on paying income tax in Lagos
For Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State, part of his complaints is the decision of international oil companies (IOCs) to continue paying their employees’ income tax to Lagos State where they have their headquarters as against the states where they extract oil.

Speaking at the second edition of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) Research and Development Fair, Diri said the IOCs should stop citing insecurity in the oil producing states as reason for their action.

He said: “Bayelsa State government still feels short-changed, in terms of what we are getting from the oil and gas industry, despite the efforts we are making to ensure peace and tranquility in the industry.

“We believe the relocation of the IOCs to Bayelsa state should not be further delayed.

“This is a pronouncement by the Vice President of our country, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, some three or four years ago. So, we believe the time for its manifestation has become very necessary.

“We strongly feel it is unfair for the IOCs to carry out their operations in Bayelsa, yet the PAYE income tax is collected in Lagos. That is a case of somebody eating the beans and asking another person to have diarrhoea.”

The governor was represented at the event by his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.

grin grin grin grin Sign of the aftermath when dust settles. Niger Delta will force them back to South South.

Interesting times ahead and I love it!

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 12, 2021
Onepeople:
oga for the sec of clarity i made a statement of fact, argument must not end in our favour all the even when the obvious is glaring.

I don't like using tribal slurs like most of you ,it's doesn't depict my person, so on that note i will not insult neither you nor your tribe,but learn to argue without insult.

What tribal slur? When has irrefutable truth become "tribal slur"? Guy, you can continue being over-sensitive and meek .

You can play victim all you want when Yorubas speak up against Igbos today after your ethnic group has paid us back with hate and ingratitude for being the biggest and most accommodating home of your people outside your traditional SE domain.

It won't help you win in today's Nigeria of 'might is right' and survival of the fittest or most machiavellian.

Yorubas are now looking out for themselves and you can see this from the actions of our leaders to how even the most liberal Yorubas talk on Nairaland today.

Go and mend fences, tackle the indolence/incompetence of your leaders and change your ways because the only future I see for Nigeria is 'every man for himself' protectionism and greater clamour for restructuring, resource control and regional/State autonomy .

The situation we are in today is one mainly you Igbos and Northerners, historically, have gotten us to as a nation. If you need me to give you a history lesson I will.

Yet it is better you focus on how Yoruba leaders, daily, are uniting to show the will of their people with their demand for a restructured Nigeria where Yorubas will no longer be held back by all others as has obtained historically. Begin demanding same from your leaders instead of playing victim.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 12:51pm On Sep 12, 2021
harjay1986:

good with this write up if they have to push for this according to DIRI delta willstill earn low because the majority of the taxwill be pay to Lagos like cooperate taxe and most of the workers now leave in Lagos .. I think the only wayout is that the two government should meet one on one and agree on a sharing pattern since the tax involve the two communities
They are not meeting anywhere. South South should round up and deal with those causing insecurity in their state. Stop enabling cultists and miscreants who you cannot control. When it’s not election time they are busy kidnapping and killing foreigners. If the state is peaceful, Oil company workers will live there. By the way, oil is fast becoming extinct. Most oil companies are moving to alternative sources of energy. What happens then?
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Yves4real(f): 12:51pm On Sep 12, 2021
rottennaija:

Which militant? Is the militant stopping them operating in those regions and extracting oil? Or it is just when it comes to citing headquarters that the militant stops them?
Hmmm.
I also noticed that when you subscribe GOTV/DSTV in your state (may be Gombe), you get the message below:
WEB*PayU_DStv Payment Lagos NG.
Is it that you subscribe in the north and VAT is paid to Lagos because that is where the hqrts of multichoice is sited?
I need clarity.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by rottennaija(m): 12:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
Yves4real:

Hmmm.
I also noticed that when you subscribe GOTV/DSTV in your state (may be Gombe), you get the message below:
WEB*PayU_DStv Payment Lagos NG.
Is it that you subscribe in the north and VAT is paid to Lagos because that is where the hqrts of multichoice is sited?
I need clarity.

This is the problem with VAT that is being discussed. It's because headquarters is cited on lagos, the VAT goes there and Lagos claims it. With the way states are going about the VAT issue! It seems they are ignoring or are ignorant of the value chains and simply what to take money that belongs to other states.

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Yves4real(f): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2021
rottennaija:

This is the problem with VAT that is being discussed. It's because headquarters is cited on lagos, the VAT goes there and Lagos claims it. With the way states are going about the VAT issue! It seems they are ignoring or are ignorant of the value chains and simply what to take money that belongs to other states.

Many thanks for your response.
I Believe the loopholes would be addressed in future.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by harjay1986: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

They are not meeting anywhere. South South should round up and deal with those causing insecurity in their state. Stop enabling cultists and miscreants who you cannot control. When it’s not election time they are busy kidnapping and killing foreigners. If the state is peaceful, Oil company workers will live there. By the way, oil is fast becoming extinct. Most oil companies are moving to alternative sources of energy. What happens then?

that the question that i ask a friend that if other state handle security the way some states handle it that means there will not be a good place for doin business imagine if southwest boys start to dey kidnap .... it will be a doom for everyone because the little strenght Nigeria has in inviting foreign investment is here

just like what you write up there, if every state can man up and secure their state with giving room to any form of banditry or kidnapper that single gesture has a better multiply effect when it comes to tax generation

but I hope Nigeria we get there one day ... Northern people only has a says today because some region allow them at the expence of their own region but the history is about to be upturn

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 1:10pm On Sep 12, 2021
rottennaija:

You are spreading misinformation. Whatever is sold in Zamfara will be remitted to Zamfara. Only employees in the headquarters pay tax to Lagos. The company also pays tax to Lagos based on being located in Lagos. These are income taxes. Different from VAT.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

You are spreading misinformation. Whatever is sold in Zamfara will be remitted to Zamfara. Only employees in the headquarters pay tax to Lagos. The company also pays tax to Lagos based on being located in Lagos. These are income taxes. Different from VAT.

What type of tax is this? I thought corporate tax goes to the FG.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 1:39pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Sadly Nah the militants and insecurities caused that.
How come militants and insecurity did not stop them from extracting oil and gas but stoped them from siting their offices in the niger delta, very soon they must drill from where they pay taxes restructuring is coming gradually

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

What type of tax is this? I thought corporate tax goes to the FG.
https://lirs.gov.ng/tax-information/tax-types

Why will a state attract FDI and all the tax go to FG?
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
How come militants and insecurity did not stop them from extracting oil and gas but stoped them from siting their offices in the niger delta, very soon they must drill from where they pay taxes restructuring is coming gradually
You want them to put their families in harms way permanently. So militants can go and be kidnapping, terrorizing and maiming their families. People put their lives at risk to make a living daily, they don’t involve their families. Fix your state, you can’t force anything. By the way, you can also call the indegenes of your state in Lagos to relocate. Force them to come back first to live.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
mu2sa2:
SE states are parasites - they contribute next to nothing to the national Gdp. North produces agricultural products, south-south produces oil. Without the north everyone will starve. Now you know why SE governors have to be silent.
First you can not compare south east to north but North and South, secondly the agricultural products produced in the north are not being shared to nigerians for free but are being sold by northerners while the oil and gas produced in southern Nigeria is being shared to the whole of Nigeria trough allocations so who is the parasite here?

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 1:57pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

You want them to put their families in harms way permanently. So militants can go and be kidnapping, terrorizing and maiming their families. People put their lives at risk to make a living daily, they don’t involve their families. Fix your state, you can’t force anything. By the way, you can also call the indegenes of your state in Lagos to relocate. Force them to come back first to live.
You dont know what you are saying my dear, their workers are in all the drilling locations and flow stations drilling oil and gas daily without being kidnap but when it come to siting their head offices there is insecurity, you talk of indegines of my states in lagos to relocate, are they doing business in lagos and paying taxes elsewhere? It is wrong to do business in south south and be paying taxes in lagos that is what we are saying

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cool

I don't know.
I'm just beginning to like this SW governors.

Unity in amotekun
Unity in Open grazing
Unity in decentralized supreme courts
So many others.

I think SW will fare well in Regional Government.

BTW, SW governors make Una help me beg Daru Dapo to work nah sad
God bless Tinubu.
God bless Osinbajo.
God bless Afenifere.
God bless the South West

God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
You dont know what you are saying my dear, their workers are in all the drilling locations and flow stations drilling oil and gas daily without being kidnap but when it come to siting their head offices there is insecurity, you talk of indegines of my states in lagos to relocate, are they doing business in lagos and paying taxes elsewhere? It is wrong to do business in south south and be paying taxes in lagos that is what we are saying
First force the indegens of your state to relocate home so they can be paying taxes there. The business they are doing in Lagos can they not do it in their states? Of course your argument will be they are Nigerians, they can live anywhere. So are majority oil workers. States even indegens run from. You want foreigners to live there. Instead of blaming everybody else, work on your security and people will live there. Even the companies cannot force their employees to live there.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
RedEnergy:
All Southern States should form an united front and join hands together with sincerity. This is not a political party matter. It is for the economic liberation of the South. Are we not tired of doing the same things and expecting a different result?
Beg the Eastern leaders for that. So far, they've been the saboteurs.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by LastProphet: 2:03pm On Sep 12, 2021
kokoA:
South east and Middle belt have the worst set of leaders.

Middle belt does not even have leaders, if they had a hopeless youth won't run kogi state
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Onepeople: 2:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

What tribal slur? When has irrefutable truth become "tribal slur"? Guy, you can continue being over-sensitive and meek .

You can play victim all you want when Yorubas speak up against Igbos today after your ethnic group has paid us back with hate and ingratitude for being the biggest and most accommodating home of your people outside your traditional SE domain.

It won't help you win in today's Nigeria of 'might is right' and survival of the fittest or most machiavellian.

Yorubas are now looking out for themselves and you can see this from the actions of our leaders to how even the most liberal Yorubas talk on Nairaland today.

Go and mend fences, tackle the indolence/incompetence of your leaders and change your ways because the only future I see for Nigeria is 'every man for himself' protectionism and greater clamour for restructuring, resource control and regional/State autonomy .

The situation we are in today is one mainly you Igbos and Northerners, historically, have gotten us to as a nation. If you need me to give you a history lesson I will.

Yet it is better you focus on how Yoruba leaders, daily, are uniting to show the will of their people with their demand for a restructured Nigeria where Yorubas will no longer be held back by all others as has obtained historically. Begin demanding same from your leaders instead of playing victim.
oga anything that makes you happy.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 2:07pm On Sep 12, 2021
Elliotwaveforec:

By residency rule, where the workers are is where they pay to.

In the case of oil companies, most of the workers at the top management level live in Lagos while those at the lower level are in Bayelsa state. This explains why the large chunk of the PAYE goes to Lagos.
This is the reason why oil extraction need to stop in other for them to drill from where they pay taxes

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

First force the indegens of your state to relocate home so they can be paying taxes there. The business they are doing in Lagos can they not do it in their states? Of course your argument will be they are Nigerians, they can live anywhere. So are majority oil workers. States even indegens run from. You want foreigners to live there. Instead of blaming everybody else, work on your security and people will live there. Even the companies cannot force their employees to live there.
We are not forcing them to relocate but very soon we will force them to drill oil from where they pay taxes...

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
We are not forcing them to relocate but very soon we will force them to drill oil from where they pay taxes...
Does your state not sell petrol? They will collect VAT from that. But before you force foreigners to live in your state, force your indegens or Lagos will need to start requesting you pay tax on your indegens in the state too. Who are adding stress to an already stressed infrastructure
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by rottennaija(m): 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

I don't have the interest to educate you. It has been explained carefully.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
rottennaija:

I don't have the interest to educate you. It has been explained carefully.
Educate who? When you clearly do not know what VAT means
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2021
Onepeople:
oga anything that makes you happy.

Have a nice Sunday cool
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
God bless Tinubu.
God bless Osinbajo.
God bless Afenifere.
God bless the South West

God bless you.

God bless you too. The Yoruba mission must be accomplished because, vitally, we are now united with our leaders, whether Christian or moslem and whether APC or PDP, in acknowledging today that we can be much better than 'one Nigeria' is allowing us to be .

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

God bless you too. The Yoruba mission must be accomplished.
Asese baba mi. Amin.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
Asese baba mi. Amin.

Lagbara oloun eniyan mi.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nureni Jimoh Locked Up In Kano Office 24 Hours After Court Ruling / Buhari Apologises To Lawmakers Over Row With Aso Rock Guards / Senator Joshua Lidani Defects To APC From PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.