Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update (22735 Views)

12 States Plan Power Projects, Anger Spreads Over Tariff Hike / Naira Crisis: States Plan Contempt Proceedings Against Malami, Emefiele / INEC Budget: Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by BeardedMeat(m): 5:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

Lol. Son, go and stand in the corner, face the wall and raise your hands up for nonsense you wrote above.

If anyone had even an iota of respect or fear for Igbos then that is not in Nigeria of today. You guys are a joke today and deservedly so.
Who is a joke here? Is it those that ran Nigeria aground or who are you referring to?

Since the monkeys overran the bus, have they been able to drive it?

Are you not ashamed what yorubas and Fulanis did with a so called giant of Africa?

Tell me, if you were baby Nigeria, and your parents were Mr fulani and Mrs Yoruba, and they have produced a child called Nigeria, mahn, how you see the pikin?

Malnourished!
Anaemic
Schizophrenic
Suicidal
Bigoted
Brain drained!

You know that kind of cursed child that won't die and won't live grin

That's what you (baby Nigeria) currently look like. See how other African nations take turn to mock you.

All over the world, you are doubly checked. It's either you are a terrorist or a Yahoo boy or a drug dealer. The world have no respect for you.

You grayoso have been wailing up and down this forum about how buhari has mismanaged the diversity of Nigeria and it's economy.

But once 30k enters your account and you can sniff soak away once again, it's only a crane that can control you.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Which do you prefer, one Nigeria or Yoruba Nation?
Which one do you prefer?

One Nigeria.
Southern Nigeria.
Niger Delta republic.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by codemaniacs: 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2021
Yves4real:

Hmmm.
I also noticed that when you subscribe GOTV/DSTV in your state (may be Gombe), you get the message below:
WEB*PayU_DStv Payment Lagos NG.
Is it that you subscribe in the north and VAT is paid to Lagos because that is where the hqrts of multichoice is sited?
I need clarity.

The payment service company the person in Gombe uses is located in Lagos.. if the person wants VAT to go to Gombe then the person should pay at any of the DSTV offices in Gombe..

It's like asking someone who uses a foreign Bank ATM card in Nigeria and asking that foreign Bank to pay VAT to Nigeria.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by codemaniacs: 5:45pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
You dont know what you are saying my dear, their workers are in all the drilling locations and flow stations drilling oil and gas daily without being kidnap but when it come to siting their head offices there is insecurity, you talk of indegines of my states in lagos to relocate, are they doing business in lagos and paying taxes elsewhere? It is wrong to do business in south south and be paying taxes in lagos that is what we are saying
datamillionaire:
Nigeria needs serious reformation in VAT law. I believe we are getting there.

It is wrong for a consumer who resides in Gombe state for example, to pay VAT on the service he consumes to another state simply because that's where the company's headquarters is located. That's somehow unfair to the state of residence of the consumer. At least, there should be a sharing of the VAT income between the state of residence of the consumer and the state where the company offering the service is headquartered.

I can now see that this VAT of a thing is far more complex than many of us realize and it's best managed if it is centralized, only that the way the income from VAT has been shared so far has been unjust to states who actually generates highest revenue. So I think amendment of VAT to make it more favorable and fair to states based on revenue they are able to generate is what is needed rather than each state collecting VAT by themselves. This is my opinion.

This quote below answers it

ajl:

This is simple but in Nigeria one plus one is often not two. Location of workers performing specific task for a company determines the state they pay tax to. If oilfield workers work directly in fields located in Bayelsa, then the tax go to Bayelsa. But only a fraction of oil industry workers work directly in oilfields. A bulk of them work in offices located elsewhere possibly in other states. Then those workers in offices pay tax to the state they are located in. How does Bayelsa State expect to receive income tax of oil industry workers that work and reside in Lagos? How senseless and greedy is that.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 12, 2021
BeardedMeat:
Who is a joke here? Is it those that ran Nigeria aground or who are you referring to?

Since the monkeys overran the bus, have they been able to drive it?

Are you not ashamed what yorubas and Fulanis did with a so called giant of Africa?

Tell me, if you were baby Nigeria, and your parents were Mr fulani and Mrs Yoruba, and they have produced a child called Nigeria, mahn, how you see the pikin?

Malnourished!
Anaemic
Schizophrenic
Suicidal
Bigoted
Brain drained!

You know that kind of cursed child that won't die and won't live grin

That's what you (baby Nigeria) currently look like. See how other African nations take turn to mock you.

All over the world, you are doubly checked. It's either you are a terrorist or a Yahoo boy or a drug dealer. The world have no respect for you.

You grayoso have been wailing up and down this forum about how buhari has mismanaged the diversity of Nigeria and it's economy.

But once 30k enters your account and you can sniff soak away once again, it's only a crane that can control you.

Shut up and go back to when Nnamdi Azikiwe colluded with the North, before British colonial umpires, to frustrate Awolowos attempt to have a secession clause included in our constitution so that any region unhappy in future with the 'one Nigeria' Union can walk away legally and peacefully.

Let's start from there if your ethnocentric and hateful mind can allow you acknowledge the truth even for a second.

From there we can visit the "Igbo coup" of Kaduna Nzeogwu and the unification decree of Aguyi Ironsi. We can then look at the illegal, self-destructive and nationally detrimental declaration of Biafra by Ojukwu that you revisionist folks continue to blame on Awolowo and the Yorubas to date.

You lot are simply shameless and irresponsible with how historically, and unrepentantly , you always commit dishonestly to playing victim and innocent saints whereas you are big perpetrators in the major events that has gotten Nigeria to where she is today.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Raddie(m): 6:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
This VAT issue is serious, with rippling effects that can be felt positively across board if done correctly.

Ogun should not do kick and follow with this one.
Tackle your touts and roads issue first by then most states would have give you a road map of what to do.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
AroleOduduwa2:
South East leaders will seat and fold their hands when other region are working effortlessly to make a meaningful impact, but wonder why no body take them serious when it comes to national issue
Who doesn't know your tribe, you guys are busy making media noise now the last financial meltdown all the states in West were totally bankrupts except Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by BeardedMeat(m): 6:18pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

Shut up and go back to when Nnamdi Azikiwe colluded with the North, before British colonial umpires, to frustrate Awolowos attempt to have a secession clause included in our constitution so that any region unhappy in future with the 'one Nigeria' Union can walk away legally and peacefully.

Let's start from there if your ethnocentric and hateful mind can allow you acknowledge the truth even for a second.

From there we can visit the "Igbo coup" of Kaduna Nzeogwu and the unification decree of Aguyi Ironsi. We can then look at the illegal, self-destructive and nationally detrimental declaration of Biafra by Ojukwu that you revisionist folks continue to blame on Awolowo and the Yorubas to date.

You lot are simply shameless and irresponsible with how historically, and unrepentantly , you always commit dishonestly to playing victim and innocent saints whereas you are big perpetrators in the major events that has gotten Nigeria to where she is today.
Did I exonorate anyone? Ewu! grin
So Igbos are no longer relegated?
Baby Nigeria ! grin
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by zigzagluv: 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2021
tomorrow they will say is fulani man that dont want me to proper,
AroleOduduwa2:
South East leaders will seat and fold their hands when other region are working effortlessly to make a meaningful impact, but wonder why no body take them serious when it comes to national issue
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by zigzagluv: 6:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
WHY ARE THEY NOT TALKING NOW ?
Onepeople:
In as much as i totally conforms to the idea that state should collect their vat ,just imagine that the eastern are the one's championing this reform, the argument would have been different, especially on nairaland the headquarters of hypocrisy.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
Which one do you prefer?

One Nigeria.
Southern Nigeria.
Niger Delta republic.

Southern Nigeria, Niger Delta Republic, One Nigeria in order of preference. I will miss the Yorubas and Igbos too much if we separate. It would be great if Middle Belt can join us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by IJEYdiamond(f): 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
AroleOduduwa2:

The sad part is, SE have the political power in their people. All that is needed is a leader that can use it correctly, but these dunces they called leaders has zero clue how to use the power as a bargaining chip when it comes to national politics

Dont mind the localized zombies governors.. that is why ipob will issue an order people will obey... imagine dt that sold out to d north blaming banks for not operating as if the cow will replace any demage... if destruction takes place...... ... Zombies governors
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Southern Nigeria, Niger Delta Republic, One Nigeria in order of preference. I will miss the Yorubas and Igbos too much if we separate. It would be great if Middle Belt can join us.
So u go miss us? I go naturalize for Naija Delta. grin

Yes, Southern Nigeria will be great. I support the order too. Let's discuss the potential of Southern Nigeria. What would come of it?
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
So u go miss us? I go naturalize for Naija Delta. grin

Yes, Southern Nigeria will be great. I support the order too. Let's discuss the potential of Southern Nigeria. What would come of it?

Quota system gone, so more technocrats will be in position of authority.
We can make more progressive laws without the North trying to fight us all the godamn time.
We can be more relaxed as a country because no one is trying to pull a fast one on us like RUGA.
We can have more resources to ourselves for development and industrialize faster.
We can have a more educated and efficient armed forces, civil service workers, etc
We can have a better educational system etc

The advantages are just too many.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by datamillionaire: 7:42pm On Sep 12, 2021
Actually the guy's comment you quoted is a different issue to my comment you quoted. What he said there is about the issue of oil companies having headquarters in Lagos and paying PAYE to Lagos instead of Bayelsa where their main area of operation his. I agree with with he said that Lagos state is entitled to PAYE of oil workers whose office is in Lagos while Bayelsa is entitled to PAYE of oil workers in Bayelsa.

But the point I made in my comment you quoted is that it is unfair for companies that render services like DStv, telecommunication companies, etc to pay VAT of services consumed in a particular state to another state just because the state they pay VAT to is where their head office is located. It is the state where the consumer of services resides that is entitled to collect the VAT. Or the revenue should be shared between the two states.

codemaniacs:

This quote below answers it

ajl:

This is simple but in Nigeria one plus one is often not two. Location of workers performing specific task for a company determines the state they pay tax to. If oilfield workers work directly in fields located in Bayelsa, then the tax go to Bayelsa. But only a fraction of oil industry workers work directly in oilfields. A bulk of them work in offices located elsewhere possibly in other states. Then those workers in offices pay tax to the state they are located in. How does Bayelsa State expect to receive income tax of oil industry workers that work and reside in Lagos? How senseless and greedy is that

datamillionaire:
Nigeria needs serious reformation in VAT law. I believe we are getting there.

It is wrong for a consumer who resides in Gombe state for example, to pay VAT on the service he consumes to another state simply because that's where the company's headquarters is located. That's somehow unfair to the state of residence of the consumer. At least, there should be a sharing of the VAT income between the state of residence of the consumer and the state where the company offering the service is headquartered.

I can now see that this VAT of a thing is far more complex than many of us realize and it's best managed if it is centralized, only that the way the income from VAT has been shared so far has been unjust to states who actually generates highest revenue. So I think amendment of VAT to make it more favorable and fair to states based on revenue they are able to generate is what is needed rather than each state collecting VAT by themselves. This is my opinion.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by compton11(m): 7:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cool

I don't know.
I'm just beginning to like this SW governors.

Unity in amotekun
Unity in Open grazing
Unity in decentralized supreme courts
So many others.

I think SW will fare well in Regional Government.

BTW, SW governors make Una help me beg Daru Dapo to work nah sad
bitchass tinubu don't allow amotekun in Lagos
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by codemaniacs: 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
datamillionaire:
Actually the guy's comment you quoted is a different issue to my comment you quoted. What he said there is about the issue of oil companies having headquarters in Lagos and paying PAYE to Lagos instead of Bayelsa where their main area of operation his. I agree with with he said that Lagos state is entitled to PAYE of oil workers whose office is in Lagos while Bayelsa is entitled to PAYE of oil workers in Bayelsa.

But the point I made in my comment you quoted is that it is unfair for companies that render services like DStv, telecommunication companies, etc to pay VAT of services consumed in a particular state to another state just because the state they pay VAT to is where their head office is located. It is the state where the consumer of services resides that is entitled to collect the VAT. Or the revenue should be shared between the two states.

Currently, VAT is paid to the state where the service is rendered or where products are bought... DSTV , telecommunications e.t.c pay VAT to the state they are in whether HQ or Branch does not matter.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Quota system gone, so more technocrats will be in position of authority.
We can make more progressive laws without the North trying to fight us all the godamn time.
We can be more relaxed as a country because no one is trying to pull a fast one on us like RUGA.
We can have more resources to ourselves for development and industrialize faster.
We can have a more educated and efficient armed forces, civil service workers, etc
We can have a better educational system etc

The advantages are just too many.
I wish we could have a united Southern Nigeria but I hate unhealthy Yoruba/Igbo rivalry is making many of skeptical. I hate toxicity. I hate victim mentality. Cry of tribalism etc

They may even start agitating for Biafra in no time.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by InHeaven(m): 7:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
South Eastern States are leech to whole Southerners. Maybe you don't know
insidelife22:
mhen this is not about party affiliations or loyalty,
this is truely about the people and progress.

this will pave way for more progressive reforms,
in the SE,only the ebonyi ass licking idjit and his co ass licker in Imo will disagree.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by InHeaven(m): 7:51pm On Sep 12, 2021
Southwest has always been proactive. We don't chestbeat

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
I wish we could have a united Southern Nigeria but I hate unhealthy Yoruba/Igbo rivalry is making many of skeptical. I hate toxicity. I hate victim mentality. Cry of tribalism etc

They may even start agitating for Biafra in no time.

Yeah, that is the fly in the ointment.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
InHeaven:
Southwest has always been proactive. We don't chestbeat
Yet we are the 'coward and backstabbers' according to them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Yeah, that is the fly in the ointment.
Thank u, Smart lady. I enjoy chatting with u here today. Looking forward to next time.

Greet pikin them for me.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Mavrick2012: 8:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
RedEnergy:
All Southern States should form an united front and join hands together with sincerity. This is not a political party matter. It is for the economic liberation of the South. Are we not tired of doing the same things and expecting a different result?
oga,yes letter u is a vowel letter,but in this context,it sounds like letter y in United,as such,it will be a United not an United.

Like saying a "F" no,it's an F.

Get?

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by raybenny(m): 8:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Sadly Nah the militants and insecurities caused that.
But the oil is still being extracted amidst the purported insecurity and propaganda peddled against the oil producing states. Gradually we shall get it right.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
Hope Lagos will not lead these other very poor SW states astray.

1 Like

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Evaloyal2J(f): 8:07pm On Sep 12, 2021
Ewu! My supreme Court administrator dear not open mouth on this matter. His fellow elefu in Ebonyi dear no say pim! Who will rescue se governors?
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by SmokedWhiskey: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
harjay1986:

good with this write up if they have to push for this according to DIRI delta willstill earn low because the majority of the taxwill be pay to Lagos like cooperate taxe and most of the workers now leave in Lagos .. I think the only wayout is that the two government should meet one on one and agree on a sharing pattern since the tax involve the two communities

That’s not necessarily true. The problems we have in Nigeria is that many of our leaders are not resourceful if not there are many ways governments can generate revenues through various forms of direct and indirect taxes. Lagos and Rivers State for example may have a huge cooperate tax base to take advantage of, but where are they going to get cement from? where would they lumber from? where would they get steel from? Other states that have these natural resources can impose their own taxes of which Lagos and Rivers we used as examples would have to pay when they need these materials. The equation tends to balance itself as the forces of free market economics come in to play. Let’s get a way from this covetous mind set, God had blessed every state in Nigeria with abundant resources, the governors just have to look inwards, be resourceful to harness those resources.

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by DEROX: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
Baawahala:
Hope Lagos will not lead these other very poor SW states astray.
you dont need to worry about all that since they are one united yoruba and even ogun state has lots of factories too check your soap,biscuits, snacks etc, so worry about yourself ASE grin

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 12, 2021
gomojam:
Thank u, Smart lady. I enjoy chatting with u here today. Looking forward to next time.

Greet pikin them for me.

Take care.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Dapson73(m): 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2021
Hamiltonii:

What caused the militants and insecurity? It is a gradual process. Like the Igbo would say: Chase the wild cat (FG) before you blame the hen (taking back from Lagos).

Same as Yorubas "kale akata lo, kafa bo se'die."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by harjay1986: 9:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
SmokedWhiskey:

That’s not necessarily true. The problems we have in Nigeria is that many of our leaders are not resourceful if not there are many ways governments can generate revenues through various forms of direct and indirect taxes. Lagos and Rivers State for example may have a huge cooperate tax base to take advantage of, but where are they going to get cement from? where would they lumber from? where would they get steel from? Other states that have these natural resources can impose their own taxes of which Lagos and Rivers we used as examples would have to pay when they need these materials. The equation tends to balance itself as the forces of free market economics come in to play. Let’s get a way from this covetous mind set, God had blessed every state in Nigeria with abundant resources, the governors just have to look inwards, be resourceful to harness those resources.

you are right my brother ... because i keep asking myself that if in family life once you are 30 your parent start to depend on you and most states in Nigeria are above these age but yet still looking unto federal allocation...

until we scrab the so call federal allocation then we can say we want to build Nigeria... let every state stand up and face reality , let them look inward onto what they can turn to money from their state these will generate alot of employment opportunity for the youth of every state without any federal character to affect them......

if anyone has a free money coming in regularly no one will think about working for anyone since what comings as a stipend every month is more than enough to take care of bills and lifestyle

even if these state tax is fully implement you will see that there will not be a single bandit if there is any the state will crush them without giving a bleep

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Samuel Ogundipe's Secret Conversation With Onyema (Audio) / Twitter Ban: The Position Of House Of Representatives - Femi Gbajabiamila / "Cure your visible ignorance": INEC tells Nigerians abusing Yakubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.