Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update (22720 Views)

12 States Plan Power Projects, Anger Spreads Over Tariff Hike / Naira Crisis: States Plan Contempt Proceedings Against Malami, Emefiele / INEC Budget: Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 2:34pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

Does your state not sell petrol? They will collect VAT from that. But before you force foreigners to live in your state, force your indegens or Lagos will need to start requesting you pay tax on your indegens in the state too. Who are adding stress to an already stressed infrastructure
my indegines in lagos are already paying taxes in lagos just as lagos indegines in Bayelsa are paying taxes to Bayelsa, we are talking about companies drilling in the states where they pay taxes and not driling in one state and paying taxes in another state

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by tollyboy5(m): 2:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
mu2sa2:
Men, truth is bitter. I know the north is silent calculatively. Let Wike and Co make all the noise, the silent north knows how to play the underground game. Hahahahaha, you just have to give it to north willy- nilly.
Lol the north is shocked and short of words just like the SE grin
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

God bless you too. The Yoruba mission must be accomplished because, vitally, we are now united with our leaders, whether Christian or moslem and whether APC or PDP, in acknowledging today that we can be much better than 'one Nigeria' is allowing us to be .
Yes. The Northern cabals think they can keep power beyond 2023. Fortunately, our leaders are masters of political strategy when they really wanna shun differences and work in unity. We have the economic power and we will also persuade others to align with our goals by exposing them to the benefits derivable from taken such action.

Also, I applaud Afenifere for being a consistent voice on restructuring and for calling our political leaders to order each time they forgot purpose. They have their shortcomings too but honestly, we need them.

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
my indegines in lagos are already paying taxes in lagos just as lagos indegines in Bayelsa are paying taxes to Bayelsa, we are talking about companies drilling in the states where they pay taxes and not driling in one state and paying taxes in another state
This has nothing to do with the employees but the company. This is why Niger Delta gets a percentage of revenue from these operations. Ask your Governors to use the money well. If you can’t force your indegens to stay in your state, you can’t force others. By the way, the headquarters are in Lagos because that is the commercial capital. Probably corporate office. They guys that drill most likely live where they drill or live there partially if they have families in Lagos.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by hopily(m): 2:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

This has nothing to do with the employees but the company. This is why Niger Delta gets a percentage of revenue from these operations. Ask your Governors to use the money well. If you can’t force your indegens to stay in your state, you can’t force others. By the way, the headquarters are in Lagos because that is the commercial capital. Probably corporate office. They guys that drill most likely live where they drill or live there partially if they have families in Lagos.
I have never mentioned employees all we are saying is that the companies should relocate to where drill, their staffs can live anywhere they want, its not iur business, is lagos not getting a percentage of VAT from FG why do they want full VAT it is because they are being shortchanged, it is thesame thing we are talking about that these companies should pay full taxes where they are drilling or drill where they are paying taxes
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Bbbwings: 2:55pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
sad

BTW, why is everyone just studying the Judgment. sad

For Nigeria to Work, Regional government is the only solution.
Decentralized everything.

And let each region contribute certain amount of money to FG (say 1bn each) NOT that SE or SW will contribute 1bn each and NW or NE will be contributing 500M sad

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by BeardedMeat(m): 2:56pm On Sep 12, 2021
theTranscriber:

come and steal the votes na cheesy

your group narcissism is you eboes main problem

you think too highly of yourselves
My race is the superior race.

Awokowo died fearing Igbo domination. You rats are infected too with this fear too.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by azikiweironsi(m): 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cool

I don't know.
I'm just beginning to like this SW governors.

Unity in amotekun
Unity in Open grazing
Unity in decentralized supreme courts
So many others.

I think SW will fare well in Regional Government.

BTW, SW governors make Una help me beg Daru Dapo to work nah sad

Yes it's true. A snake that walks alone risks being killed even by a toddler. But if in multitude, the story will be different. For example, let Anaconda lead the team followed by Cobra, Viper, Black Mambas, Boas, grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by baby124: 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
hopily:
I have never mentioned employees all we are saying is that the companies should relocate to where drill, their staffs can live anywhere they want, its not iur business, is lagos not getting a percentage of VAT from FG why do they want full VAT it is because they are being shortchanged, it is thesame thing we are talking about that these companies should pay full taxes where they are drilling or drill where they are paying taxes
You and your Governor don’t understand that the only VAT Lagos will get on oil is from the filling stations.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by ajl: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
tysontim:
Diri faults IOCs on paying income tax in Lagos
For Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State, part of his complaints is the decision of international oil companies (IOCs) to continue paying their employees’ income tax to Lagos State where they have their headquarters as against the states where they extract oil.

This is simple but in Nigeria one plus one is often not two. Location of workers performing specific task for a company determines the state they pay tax to. If oilfield workers work directly in fields located in Bayelsa, then the tax go to Bayelsa. But only a fraction of oil industry workers work directly in oilfields. A bulk of them work in offices located elsewhere possibly in other states. Then those workers in offices pay tax to the state they are located in. How does Bayelsa State expect to receive income tax of oil industry workers that work and reside in Lagos? How senseless and greedy is that.

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

https://lirs.gov.ng/tax-information/tax-types

Why will a state attract FDI and all the tax go to FG?

Yeah, I know all those taxes go to the state government. I was asking about the taxes from profits of big companies like Zenith Bank, Shell, Mobil etc.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by LegendHero(m): 3:10pm On Sep 12, 2021
LibertyRep:
Whatever joint actions they intend to take, they must ensure it doesn't flop like the I'll executed Amotekun project.

They should also purge themselves of internal saboteurs and traitors.

That said, when this is done, we'll revisit the independence/ autonomy for LG and State Assemblies.

Amotekun did not fail. It was a success.

The issue we have here and there where some Amotekun officers are misbehaving is a general Nigeria problem where people do anyhow when they have power.

What just need to be done is to strengthen the system with great check and balancing and things will be fine.

Amotekun is still arresting kidnappers and functioning such that some people now prefer taking their security issues to Amotekun rather than the police.

5 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by LegendHero(m): 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2021
LibertyRep:
Whatever joint actions they intend to take, they must ensure it doesn't flop like the I'll executed Amotekun project.

They should also purge themselves of internal saboteurs and traitors.

That said, when this is done, we'll revisit the independence/ autonomy for LG and State Assemblies.

Amotekun did not fail. It is a success.

The issue we have here and there where some Amotekun officers are misbehaving is a general Nigeria problem where people do anyhow when they have power.

What just need to be done is to strengthen the system with great check and balancing and things will be fine.

Amotekun is still arresting kidnappers and functioning such that some people now prefer taking their security issues to Amotekun rather than the police.

3 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Zagee: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
Everybody should go and think how to boost IGR. Lazy men we have as leaders. Even Wike is not fully aware of the consequences of his actions. Laziness stops!! Cross River should go and revive Tinapa resort, as for Bayelsa, very unfortunate the kind of leaders they've had. Nothing to show for with all that money they collect. Sad. Everybody should go and think. Imbeciles should not be found around governance!!
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
Grayoso:

God bless you too. The Yoruba mission must be accomplished because, vitally, we are now united with our leaders, whether Christian or moslem and whether APC or PDP, in acknowledging today that we can be much better than 'one Nigeria' is allowing us to be .

Which do you prefer, one Nigeria or Yoruba Nation?

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
tysontim:
Diri faults IOCs on paying income tax in Lagos
For Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State, part of his complaints is the decision of international oil companies (IOCs) to continue paying their employees’ income tax to Lagos State where they have their headquarters as against the states where they extract oil.
The answer is in his statement - they can move their headquarters to Bayelsa to avoid double taxes. In as much they have their downstream operations in Lagos, their employees' income tax must go to Lagos State. EOD!
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by datamillionaire: 3:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
Nigeria needs serious reformation in VAT law. I believe we are getting there.

It is wrong for a consumer who resides in Gombe state for example, to pay VAT on the service he consumes to another state simply because that's where the company's headquarters is located. That's somehow unfair to the state of residence of the consumer. At least, there should be a sharing of the VAT income between the state of residence of the consumer and the state where the company offering the service is headquartered.

I can now see that this VAT of a thing is far more complex than many of us realize and it's best managed if it is centralized, only that the way the income from VAT has been shared so far has been unjust to states who actually generates highest revenue. So I think amendment of VAT to make it more favorable and fair to states based on revenue they are able to generate is what is needed rather than each state collecting VAT by themselves. This is my opinion.

rottennaija:

This is the problem with VAT that is being discussed. It's because headquarters is cited on lagos, the VAT goes there and Lagos claims it. With the way states are going about the VAT issue! It seems they are ignoring or are ignorant of the value chains and simply what to take money that belongs to other states.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by kayusely70(m): 3:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cool

I don't know.

Unity in amotekun
Unity in Open grazing
So many others.

Dapo seems the only black leg of them. He has approved 100 hectares of land for Buhari's farm settlement which could be a ruse to establish RUGA in Ogun state. He's apparently blinded by his second year ambition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by datamillionaire: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
The idea of PAYE being paid to state of residence of the worker rather than where his place of work is located sounds foolish to me. That law should be amended!

Elliotwaveforec:

By residency rule, where the workers are is where they pay to.

In the case of oil companies, most of the workers at the top management level live in Lagos while those at the lower level are in Bayelsa state. This explains why the large chunk of the PAYE goes to Lagos.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Elliotwaveforec: 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2021
datamillionaire:
The idea of PAYE being paid to state of residence of the worker rather than where his place of work is located sounds foolish to me. That law should be amended!

The managerial staff work in Lagos nah; the PAYE rightly belongs to Lagos.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Elliotwaveforec: 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Yeah, I know all those taxes go to the state government. I was asking about the taxes from profits of big companies like Zenith Bank, Shell, Mobil etc.

Company taxes go to the FG only

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
Elliotwaveforec:

Company taxes go to the FG only

I think sole proprietors and partnerships go to the states, right?
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Buckeyemedia1: 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cool

I don't know.

Unity in amotekun
Unity in Open grazing
So many others.

Same people that are killing you?, if I ask you, mention 1 thing your state Governor or Government has done for you since 1999, silence first, then rain of abuses next.
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
BeardedMeat:

Awokowo died fearing Igbo domination. You rats are infected too with this fear too.

Lol. Son, go and stand in the corner, face the wall and raise your hands up for nonsense you wrote above.

If anyone had even an iota of respect or fear for Igbos then that is not in Nigeria of today. You guys are a joke today and deservedly so.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Buckeyemedia1: 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
kayusely70:
Dapo seems the only black leg of them. He has approved 100 hectares of land for Buhari's farm settlement which could be a ruse to establish RUGA in Ogun state. He's apparently blinded by his second year ambition.
100 hectares, too minimal? The Lands Use Act 1978 mandates not more than 5,000 hectares for grazing @ once? Even for farming is not more than 500 hectares @ once
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Buckeyemedia1: 4:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
BeardedMeat:

Domination of what, the narcotics trade?

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by rottennaija(m): 4:32pm On Sep 12, 2021
datamillionaire:
Nigeria needs serious reformation in VAT law. I believe we are getting there.

It is wrong for a consumer who resides in Gombe state for example, to pay VAT on the service he consumes to another state simply because that's where the company's headquarters is located. That's somehow unfair to the state of residence of the consumer. At least, there should be a sharing of the VAT income between the state of residence of the consumer and the state where the company offering the service is headquartered.

I can now see that this VAT of a thing is far more complex than many of us realize and it's best managed if it is centralized, only that the way the income from VAT has been shared so far has been unjust to states who actually generates highest revenue. So I think amendment of VAT to make it more favorable and fair to states based on revenue they are able to generate is what is needed rather than each state collecting VAT by themselves. This is my opinion.

Well, governors have stirred the issues. Let's see how it goes. I think at the end of the day, it will make for a more robust economy.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
kmcutez:

Which do you prefer, one Nigeria or Yoruba Nation?

I am good with either but feel, looking at issues dispassionately and with pragmatism, a restructured one Nigeria is the more immediately achievable and easier option.

We need solutions today. Not 50 years later. Igbos have dragged Biafra for over 50 year now and only have the worst region in Nigeria, along with terrorised zones of the North, as reward for not understanding the need for a plan B and the need to always be circumspect.

A few necessary restructuring tweaks and most Yorubas will no longer agitate for an independent Yoruba nation.

For example, If we get State or autonomous policing then watch as Yorubas will unite to deliver , in a short time, a modern, well-trained and science/technology driven regional police force, as obtains worldwide, all Yorubas will feel safe and secure with.

In a restructured Nigeria, I can bet any money Yorubas will be first to achieve 24/7 electricity for all States of the SW region.

As proof of all I am saying, how long ago did we produce the DAWN initiative document that is a masterpiece road map of how the Yoruba region can thrive within Nigeria , by side-tracking the 'potholes' of 'one Nigeria', whereas others (The SE) have alway shouted secession Holloway while some (The North) don't even know whether they are coming or going as a people?

https://dawncommission.org/why-regional-integration-2/

Changes that give us more autonomy over our affairs and direction are the type of changes we must chase aggressively from now on, so Yorubas can be safer and more progressive today, rather than focus exclusively on secession that may never happen and will continue to leave Yorubas exposed to the same serious problems facing us today for a long time as long as the North continues in power or remains able to dictate from the center.

If Nigeria is restructured sincerely and holistically then the North can eat their Presidency, AGF office and other positions they myopically see as symbols of power and superiority over other.

The root cause of the agitation for secession is injustice keeping majority down just to compensate for those who love wallowing in backwardness and retrogression. This is what we have to fight.

I love all my Yoruba peeps. We are a beautiful people and I passionately feel we deserve more than we are getting.

Yet we must begin working smarter and not harder like others have done fruitlessly for decades. Especially our generation of younger Yorubas.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by kayfra: 4:53pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omoluabis are great, brave and super intelligent

Regardless of what happens in 2023. We are well positioned

SW Region of Pacesetters
Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
kayfra:
Omoluabis are great, brave and super intelligent

Regardless of what happens in 2023. We are well positioned

SW Region of Pacesetters

Indeed brother. What our leaders are doing now is what we have had the template to pursue for a long time but complacency and personal profit/greed prevented our leaders chasing.

Now the actions/inactions of Buhari and his fellow desperate Fulanis expansionist has forced our hand . It should not have come to this but better late than never t

The DAWN roadmap gave us the precise template many years ago and showed us, with well-researched documents collated over literally thousands of hours, what had to be done without delay. Yet we complacently ignored it.

Today we are suffering horribly for our parochial outlook, short-sightedness and indolent past attitude.

This is why leadership should always be aggressively focused and must do what has to be done without delay.

The "side-tracking" of limitations on our growth and development, mentioned below, is what we are trying to do today after being backed to the hall.

We can only ask what could have been if Yorubas and their leaders had always being proactive and switched-on instead of apathetic and reactionary.

https://dawncommission.org/why-regional-integration-2/

Why Regional Integration?

DAWN is an inclusive development strategy. Global citizen and Nobel Laureate in Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka (also from the Southwest), canvasses what he described as “Regional Development Autonomy.”

Development Autonomy is a potent argument for the need to leverage repressed communal assets, talents and resources located within a Region, by side-tracking limitations placed on all by the inchoate Nigerian federalism.

Regional Integration and Cooperation is a development imperative. Integration prescribes a compelling alternative roadmap for achieving social and economic development, in hopes that successful models and best cases can evolve which would then be copied or replicated across zonal boundaries.

Regional integration will reduce duplication of efforts among our states and will therefore provide basis for more efficient coordination.

Regional integration will ensure monitoring of social and regional impact of structural adjustment policies.

Regional integration will help the Southwest States reap economies of scale, expand markets and collectively exploit their resources and gradually raise the Region’s strength in the global economy.

Therefore, it is hoped that Nigeria’s development process can be fast-tracked in an atmosphere of positive competitive regional initiatives and actions across the country.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: South West States Plan Joint Action, Other States Give Update by theTranscriber: 5:14pm On Sep 12, 2021
BeardedMeat:

well
see how you enjoy 3 "domination"

na Greed and foolishness no dey make una think well grin

besides "race" has a different meaning

illiterates everywhere cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hackers Tried To Change Osun Governorship Election Result - INEC / Festus Keyamo Circulates Fake Video To Accuse Labour Of Vote Rigging, Propaganda / Again, APC Adjusts Primaries Timetable, Exempts Statutory Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.