Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries (36691 Views)

Multidimensional Poverty: Akwa Ibom, Rivers Lead South-South States - StatiSense / The Day Two South-East Governors Shouted At Each Other / "Two South-East Governors To Join APC" – Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:37am On Sep 13, 2021
Tomahawk99:

Welcome to Nigeria cheesy

angry sad angry sad
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by system21: 7:37am On Sep 13, 2021
North have benefited in no small major from southern stupidity imagine Jigawa, Bauchi and Kastina earning more money than most southern states no wonder they can sponsor terrorism and give amnesty to terrorist

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:38am On Sep 13, 2021
Midas01:
Every southerner should keep tribalism aside and implore our representatives to support state VAT collection when the time comes because I'm pretty sure the northerners will try to bribe their way to get the constitution to be amended in their favour.

Just imagine the northern States getting more VAT allocation than Delta. Nigeria is just messed up.

Gbam!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by SEGLIZ: 7:39am On Sep 13, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Gross nonsense!
How possible Katsina, Bauchi, Jigawa got more Vat than Anambra, Abia, Ondo, Ogun, Akwaibom, delta etc?

I challenge any Northern here to tell me the industries and economy activities wey dey there!

Cc: quotasystem, Arrewa, Buckeyemedia1
the only reason this state would have to be in control of VAT and FG continue with crude for now.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Positivepoint(m): 7:41am On Sep 13, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Gross nonsense!
How possible Katsina, Bauchi, Jigawa got more Vat than Anambra, Abia, Ondo, Ogun, Akwaibom, delta etc?

I challenge any Northern here to tell me the industries and economy activities wey dey there!

Value added tax is paid by the consumers of manufactured goods at the point of buying good or service not by the manufacturers of the goods and services.

The population of the north gives north an advantage as huge consumers.

U should first understand what vat is before u make such comment.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Matheusmartin: 7:41am On Sep 13, 2021
Coldie:

East is forward yet generates the lowest gdp?
Compare the standard of living of an average person living in the east to that of an average northerner.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Basicend: 7:43am On Sep 13, 2021
proeast:
This madness of robbing Peter to pay Paul must be stopped immediately. What are poverty stricken and barren states like Jigawa, Katsina and Bauchi doing in top ten VAT earning states when they generate next to nothing??

I repeat, this madness must be stopped now. Let everyone earn what they produce!!!

You don't have a voice. You decree does not matter.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by justmondris: 7:44am On Sep 13, 2021
techwaya:
Some states will just collapse because of this,i keep asking how can states like Borno and adamawa cope, Boko Haram ravaged state like Borno can't even go into agriculture as source of income let's restructuring shouldn't be about destroying our fellow country men..

Meanwhile are you serious about gaining admissions into yabatech or unilag this year? well the opportunity is here the Partime form is now on sale,the postutme for will soon follow suite,post utme past questions are available contact us on
Zero nine zero eight two nine five one four six two..or check my siggy
Then they will stop playing politics with Boko haram and fight them. Any state that wants to collapse because of this should collapse. If they cannot survive because of this, they should merge with other states. What is the use of the high number of states is the country ?

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by SEGLIZ: 7:45am On Sep 13, 2021
Iamgrey5:
The south west contributes the most VAT too

Lagos Ogun and Oyo(particularly ibadan)

But why is North West collecting more than the South South that contributes the next largest Chunk.

Northerners generally don't pay tax under the current tax regime.
imagine a state confiscating and destroying alcohol, banning her residence from consuming alcohol but share and spend VAT that accrue from same in other states.

your people won't go into betting but you want to share and spend from the accrued proceed from betting and lottery!? this is questionable.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by mrkings84(m): 7:46am On Sep 13, 2021
NOW THAT THE FREE MONEY IS OVER, IN SOME STATES, THEY WILL BEG SOMEONE SAY ABEG COME GOVERN US HIM GO JAPA!!

2 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by MyExpression(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2021
techwaya:
Some states will just collapse because of this,i keep asking how can states like Borno and adamawa cope, Boko Haram ravaged state like Borno can't even go into agriculture as source of income let's restructuring shouldn't be about destroying our fellow country men..

Meanwhile are you serious about gaining admissions into yabatech or unilag this year? well the opportunity is here the Partime form is now on sale,the postutme for will soon follow suite,post utme past questions are available contact us on
Judging from this your position, what have you learnt from the yabatech and unilag that you want to give other people admission?

Guy if your common sense no fit give you better ideas, you might have to go enrol for dat admission yourself ooo.
You need it.

4 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Positivepoint(m): 7:48am On Sep 13, 2021
Iamgrey5:
The south west contributes the most VAT too

Lagos Ogun and Oyo(particularly ibadan)

But why is North West collecting more than the South South that contributes the next largest Chunk.

Northerners generally don't pay tax under the current tax regime.

South West contribution to vat is as a result central report of vat collection by HQ of major businesses.

Examples all Telco, banks, manufacturers whom have there HQ in Lagos pay VAT collected centrally from there HQ.

If u buy recharge card the vat is not paid in ur state but paid in Lagos.

The vat on ur bank transaction is paid in Lagos. Etc

The huge VAT remittance in Lagos is as a result of central collection and of vats paid by consumers from all over Nigeria collected band paid through corporation how's in Lagos.

Vat is paid buy consumers of products and services.

Decentralization of VAT will see IGR of other states imporve and that of Lagos reduce.

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:51am On Sep 13, 2021
Positivepoint:

Value added tax is paid by the consumers of manufactured goods at the point of buying good or service not by the manufacturers of the goods and services.

Then why didn't they generate the vats via population?

How come they were lagging behind in generating VAT?

Should we show the stats of list of top 10 generating VAT?

Or are you telling me their population is only good for elections and receiving money and not for Generating.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by proeast(m): 7:51am On Sep 13, 2021
Coldie:

SE got least cause both population and derivation wise it’s the least

You don't even get the point at all. The argument is about parasitism, states VAT earnings against VAT generation and SE is being short changed!

VAT is not necessarily about population but about purchasing power and economic activities. Northern states claim to have huge populations but brings next to nothing to the table. Anambra and Enugu both generate in excess of 20 billions which is in the top tier, while the other SE states generate close to 20 billion including the least Ebonyi. Non is among the least generating states yet you will find them among the least VAT earning states!

Once VAT becomes a state affair, just watch and see how all SE states will jump in the rankings due to competition among them.

13 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by ArticleBeast: 7:51am On Sep 13, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Gross nonsense!

I challenge any Northerner here to tell me the industries and economy activities wey dey there!

There are shitload of industries in the north

2 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:52am On Sep 13, 2021
ArticleBeast:

There are shitload of industries in the north

Jigawa
Bauchi
Katsina

Oya list the industries

6 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Iamgrey5(m): 7:53am On Sep 13, 2021
Positivepoint:

South West contribution to vat is as a result central report of vat collection by HQ of major businesses.

Examples all Telco, banks, manufacturers whom have there HQ in Lagos pay VAT collected centrally from there HQ.

If u buy recharge card the vat is not paid in ur state but paid in Lagos.

The vat on ur bank transaction is paid in Lagos. Etc

The huge VAT remittance in Lagos is as a result of central collection and of vats paid by consumers from all over Nigeria collected band paid through corporation how's in Lagos.

Vat is paid buy consumers of products and services.

Decentralization of VAT will see IGR of other states imporve and that of Lagos reduce.

You don't know what you are talking about

VAT is called value added tax or the tax added at every stage of production as value is added.

In reality the final consumers get to pay VAT and it's never centrally recorded.

Vat is a very difficult tax to collect and it's only collected in places where sales of goods can be captured.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Freezby2020: 7:55am On Sep 13, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Gross nonsense!

I challenge any Northerner here to tell me the industries and economy activities wey dey there!

My friend we have diary production companies, we have meat production companies.. the money na everyone and we deserve it

2 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by techwaya: 7:55am On Sep 13, 2021
MyExpression:

Which your your position, what have you learnt from the yabatech and unilag that you want to give other people admission?

Guy if your common sense no fit give you better ideas, you might have to go enrol for dat admission yourself ooo.
You need it.

Mind your hustle,make i mind my own..
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Positivepoint(m): 7:56am On Sep 13, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Then why didn't they generate the vats via population?

How come they were lagging behind in generating VAT?

Should we show the stats of list of top 10 generating VAT?

Wow u still don't get it.

When a Kano man buys indomie or soap made in Lagos he pays including VAT.

When a Katina man buys recharge card he pays including VAT.

When a gombe man buys Panadol he pays inclusive of VAT.

The vat paid by the above people is remitted not in there states but in Lagos centrally through there HQ.

Remember VAT is paid by the consumers of manufactured products and services at the point of purchase.

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by wpadmin: 7:59am On Sep 13, 2021
greenie77:

Let them be serious with taxation and let the masses be more serious with electing credible people into office, who would not mismanage the tax they are paying.

God bless you sir.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by nengibo: 8:00am On Sep 13, 2021
techwaya:

Zero nine zero eight two nine five one four six two..or check my siggy

The Ngos in Borno, are a major source of revenue

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Omoluabi1stborn: 8:01am On Sep 13, 2021
[s]
Positivepoint:

Wow u still don't get it.

When a Kano man buys indomie or soap made in Lagos he pays including VAT.

When a Katina man buys recharge card he pays including VAT.

When a gombe man buys Panadol he pays inclusive of VAT.

The vat paid by the above people is remitted not in there states but in Lagos centrally through there HQ.

Remember VAT is paid by the consumers of manufactured products and services at the point of purchase.
[/s]
But ur argument was population lol.

Anyways, to avoid double taxation, VAT should be charged at its final consumption

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Dancos: 8:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Your write-up on the distribution of generated VAT in Nigeria is good to every reader. What is missing is that you did not provide the people with your investigation on the contributions of the 36 states and the FCT, in the period of January,2020 to February,2021. This is very important. Since there are no laws backing the collection of VAT by the FIRS in the country, the befitting states that were being spoon from other states VAT should be made to pay back the monies so collected since 1999 as a reparation.

5 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by wink2015(m): 8:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Positivepoint:

It is the past military government that made this possible for the north as the key officer that form the government were of northern extraction the rest of our people in the military that is those from the southern part of Nigeria was FOLLOW FOLLOW ( according to Fela )

They just use our people to make up the number after their key military officer from the north have met with the sultan, and other royal emir.

The sultan and emir from the north tell their senior military sons to take decision that favour their region.

Imagine Late General Sani Abacha creating 44 local government in the then Kano state meanwhile, Bayelsa state that is crude oil producing and contributing to vat only have 8 local government.

Is this fair to all part of Nigeria?

INJUSTICE PLENTY FOR NIGERIA.

It is not today that it started, It has been the norm since time immemorial.

There should be TRUE FEDERALISM AND FISCAL FEDERALISM.

When states control their resources nobody will feel bad.

ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL as mentioned by governor Wike will not arise.

It is what your land and effort give to you that you use to develop your area.

If you promote banditary, kidnapping in your zone or state you TAKE AM AS YOU SEE AM.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Positivepoint(m): 8:04am On Sep 13, 2021
Iamgrey5:
You don't know what you are talking about

VAT is called value added tax or the tax added at every stage of production as value is added.

In reality the final consumers get to pay VAT and it's never centrally recorded.

Vat is a very difficult tax to collect and it's only collected in places where sales of goods can be captured.

Most manufacturers have distribution channel for there business.

If indomie company sold 1m cartoon of indomie to a dealer in Lagos or anywhere the dealer pays inclusive of VAT.

Wherever the product goes VAT is already paid to the company at the point of purchase and transferred to consumers at every level of the distribution channel.

I am a dealer of a manufacture in Lagos and I pay inclusive of VAT for their products.

Now these companies remit the same VAT through Lagos because they have collected VAT at the point of every sale to there distributors.
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Coldie(m): 8:05am On Sep 13, 2021
Matheusmartin:
Compare the standard of living of an average person living in the east to that of an average northerner.
Tell me please?

Are u using life in the east to compare it to life of almajiris and Niger republic immigrants or real northerners?

Are u aware that someone from the north who earns 10k a month is better off than someone from the east who earns 20k a month?

Are u aware that an average northerner has more disposable income than an average easterner?

There’s more jobs in the north than the east,

There’s more basic amenities and infrastructures in the north than in the east

Tell me how u got this ur statistics that easterners have better standards of living than the north?

Ur standard of living is better but in the east #1000 is almost useless?

But in the north it can buy a lot of reasonable things.

Lecture me, tell me how standard of living in the east is higher than that of the north?
Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by wpadmin: 8:07am On Sep 13, 2021
Positivepoint:

How many things are the North consuming for them to collect a large chunk?

Since they have the largest population, they should be happy to keep the VAT they generate.

2 Likes

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Positivepoint(m): 8:07am On Sep 13, 2021
wink2015:

There should be TRUE FEDERALISM AND FISCAL FEDERALISM.

When states control their resources nobody will feel bad.

It is what your land and effort give to you that you use to develop your area.

ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL as mentioned by governor Wike will not arise.

If you promote banditary, kidnapping in your zone or state you TAKE AM AS YOU SEE AM.

True, the picture present buy most people think north is getting a share of VAT for free not knowing that they don't even get the actual value they are ment to receive.

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Amalekki: 8:08am On Sep 13, 2021
This must be reviewed and adjusted.

I can't believe this was never addressed by a so-called PhD holder from the South who ruled as president for over 5 years. I guess he had more important priorities like completion of the beautiful architectural drawing of the 2nd Niger Bridge, and also the real life comedy skits by his wife.

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Emir01: 8:08am On Sep 13, 2021
I don't know the problem with our media houses. It's north when you're referring to Katsina, Borno, Kogi, Benue but when it is time to call states in d south then it's SW, SS or SE. Unnecessary fight and confusion. Only few peole know how VAT is working for the fact dat Lagos is collecting higher when this law start working I can tell u dat Lagos will reduce to more than 80% if you're making calls in Sokoto or banking in Anambra all d VATs are paying to Lagos because their head offices are in Lagos and the same thing goes to River state. There are more political move to this rather than genuine engagement by those governors and I can bet it that they don't have the capacity to implement d so call VAT in their states. The Northern States might decide to impose VAT on the food supply to the Southern states as well and all eyes will be cleared and realised that no region is an island. Am expecting them to engage revenue allocation agency and government b4 taking d matter to d court. The masses will be at the receiving end if care is not taking, one of the states that just passed d law doesn't not exempt Small businesses.

1 Like

Re: VAT: Five Northern, Two South-west, Two South-South States Top Beneficiaries by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:08am On Sep 13, 2021
greatiyk4u:
The VAT saga will affect everybody because states will now become serious with taxation which will affect all of us as everyone will be forced to start paying, besides, I am for states collecting the VAT so that only serious minded people will vie for elective positions

That would even be nice. Once nigerian start paying the way it should be thats when governance becomes a serious affairs citizens will hold their governor's accountable.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Naira-Throwing Fraud Suspects Arrested In Benin / Adorable Photo Of Patience Jonathan Singing Melodiously In Church Today / Wike Asks Court To Declare Him PDP Presidential Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.