Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,010 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

The Word For Today - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (507 Views)

Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word For Today by Gistme12: 8:45am On Sep 13, 2021
GOD WILL NEVER ABANDON YOU

13 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Everyone abandoned me…But the Lord stood with me.’
2 Timothy 4:16-17 NLT

When someone you love dies, divorces or deserts you, it hurts deeply. Even Paul wasn’t exempt. Here are some of his last words: ‘Timothy, please come as soon as you can. Demas has deserted me…Only Luke is with me. Bring Mark with you when you come, for he will be helpful to me…Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm…The first time I was brought before the judge, no one came with me. Everyone abandoned me…But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength…he rescued me from certain death. Yes, and the Lord will deliver me from every evil attack and bring me safely into his heavenly Kingdom’ (vv. 9-18 NLT). The fact is, you can survive without others but you can‘t survive without God. That’s why He strips away things that make us dependent on people. He sends certain individuals into your life to help build your faith and develop your character, and when they’re gone, to leave you with the assurance that God is in control. The loss of loved ones: 1) develops your spiritual muscle; 2) tests your resilience; 3) shows you the scope of God’s power. When Moses died and Joshua was left in charge, God told him, ‘As I was with Moses, so I will be with you’ (Joshua 1:5 NKJV). That’s something Joshua could never have learned while Moses was still in the picture. And it’s a lesson you can’t learn while you’re looking to someone else for your answers. So, turn to the Lord. Let the one who said, ‘Peace be still’ to the storm on Galilee, speak peace to the thing that’s troubling you today.

Isaiah 17-19, Galatians 5
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 7:58am On Sep 14, 2021
Spiritual growth is a group project

14 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Let us go into the house of the LORD.’
Psalm 122:1 NKJV

The psalmist said, ‘I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the Lord.”’ Do you feel that way about God’s house too? And if not, why not? Paul writes: ‘God is building a home. He’s using us all – irrespective of how we got here – in what he is building. He used the apostles and prophets for the foundation. Now he’s using you, fitting you in brick by brick, stone by stone, with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone that holds all the parts together. We see it taking shape day after day – a holy temple built by God, all of us built into it, a temple in which God is quite at home’ (Ephesians 2:19-22 MSG). There are times when you need to be alone with God in prayer; there are times you’ll only find the answer you seek when you’re with God’s people. When those who are indwelt by God’s Spirit meet for worship, teaching, encouragement and service, God shows up in a powerful way. You grow spiritually as you experience His presence, hear His Word, and fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ. Every time you gather with other members of Christ’s body, it reminds you again that you’re on the winning side. It’s hard to celebrate by yourself. When you’ve something worth celebrating you generally call people together so you can share the joy, right? Jesus is so excited about His victory at the cross, that He calls us together every week to celebrate what He accomplished for us. And celebration, like spiritual growth, is a group project.

Isaiah 20-22, Galatians 6
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 6:43am On Sep 15, 2021
Practise self-control

15 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Do not give in to sinful desires.’
Romans 6:12 NLT

Paul writes: ‘Consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ…Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires…[or] let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God’ (vv. 11-13 NLT). If you let it, your body will lead you astray. It’s not that it’s evil, but it has certain appetites which are always ready to respond to surrounding stimuli, all of which are terribly appealing and temporarily satisfying. Chuck Swindoll writes: ‘Life on earth is really nothing more than a string of moments…And I don’t want my testimony for Jesus Christ to be shattered by a single moment of indulging my flesh. I don’t want one moment of rage or pride or lust to cast a shadow over a lifetime of walking with my Lord. Frankly, I fear that possibility. And do you know what? I want to fear that possibility. When I stop fearing it – I’m in grave danger.’ So how do you deal with your carnal appetites? The only way is to make God’s Word your code of conduct and refuse to compromise. And if you need a role model you won’t find a better one than Jesus. He said, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves’ (Matthew 16:24 NIV). Each day, look for an opportunity to deny yourself in some small area. You’ll be surprised how hard it is! But the payoff comes later when you need to deny yourself in a big area of life that has much more riding on it.

Isaiah 23-25, Ephesians 1
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 6:59am On Sep 16, 2021
What’s in a name? Everything! (1)

16 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘That men may know…thou…art the most High over all the earth.’
Psalm 83:18 KJV

The Israelites called God Jehovah, a name they thought of as incommunicable and inexplicable. The name means the ‘self-existing one’; the ‘I am’. He was before all things, the creator of all things; an awesome but seemingly impersonal, unknowable being. However, God wanted us to know Him in a personal way, so in Scripture He added five revealing titles to the name Jehovah, five word-portraits to help us understand and relate to Him. The Israelites usually discovered the truth of these word-portraits during times of crisis and distress. And they’ll encourage you, too, during your time of need. Jehovah-Jireh: the Lord will see, the Lord will provide. Abraham was about to sacrifice his son when God provided a lamb as an offering in Isaac’s place. And in response Abraham called God Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord who sees and provides. But it doesn’t just apply to Abraham. The New Testament references many counterparts to the Lord who sees our needs and provides answers. Jesus said, ‘Your heavenly Father knoweth…ye have need of all these things’ (Matthew 6:32 KJV). Like a caring responsive parent, God sees His children’s needs before they do, and provides the solution. Before their shoes wear out, their father provides new ones. They don’t have to beg, bargain and plead. Maybe you’re wondering how come you don’t always get what you ask for. Because God knows what you really need – you don’t! Think about it: it’s possible for your wants to be gratified and your real needs go unmet. Remember Jehovah-Jireh sees your needs, and because He sees them He will provide for them! It’s that simple!

Isaiah 26-27, Ephesians 2
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 5:54am On Sep 17, 2021
What’s in a name? Everything! (2)

17 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Be not afraid nor dismayed…for the battle is not yours, but God’s.’
2 Chronicles 20:15 KJV

When Israel was threatened by the armies of Amalek God gave them a glorious victory. Realising that God was fighting the battle for them, Moses built an altar to Jehovah-Nissi: the Lord my banner. Fighting our own battles was never God’s idea. The Bible says, ‘The Lord is a man of war’ (Exodus 15:3 KJV). ‘The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace’ (Exodus 14:14 KJV). ‘Be not afraid nor dismayed…for the battle is not yours, but God’s.’ As human beings we get exhausted and discouraged because we keep trying to fight in our own strength. We engage in fruitless cycles of repentance, resolution, struggle, defeat, discouragement, and repenting all over again. The only spiritual conflict that’s ever successfully won is the one God fights for us. He doesn’t expect us to win the battle but to let Him win it on our behalf. ‘But aren’t we supposed to fight too?’ you ask. Yes, we’re to ‘fight the good fight of faith’ (1 Timothy 6:12 KJV). Ours isn’t a battle of exhausting effort, it’s the battle of believing. ‘But aren’t we supposed to wrestle like Jacob did?’ First of all, Jacob didn’t win by wrestling, he won by being rendered too weak to keep wrestling. Secondly, his victory lay in surrender to God. Are you worn out from the battle? Are you at the end of your rope? Then you’re just where God wants you! Let go and trust Jehovah-Nissi to prevail for you, because ‘the battle is not yours, but God’s’! Stand up and declare with Paul, ‘When I am weak, then am I strong’ (2 Corinthians 12:10 KJV).

Isaiah 28-29, Ephesians 3
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 6:46am On Sep 18, 2021
What’s in a name? Everything! (3)

18 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring.’
Exodus 14:13 NIV

Let’s look again at Jehovah-Nissi: the Lord my banner. It isn’t easy to hand our battles over and let God fight for us. We feel like we’re copping out or being irresponsible. Popular thinking says, ‘Don’t just sit there, do something!’ We’re like the drowning man who can’t stop grasping at his rescuer. We imagine they need our help, and as a result we end up making their job almost impossible. The truth is – we become their worst nightmare! But just because God fights for us doesn’t mean we’re not involved. The hardest part about the order – ‘stand still and watch the deliverance of the Lord’ – is we mistake standing still for doing nothing, or being derelict in our duty. Fear says, ‘Just do something!’ Faith says, ‘Stand in faith. Let God do it!’ That’s about as far from doing nothing as you can get. It’s faith at its highest. So how come we need spiritual armour if we don’t do the fighting? Good question! Paul said, ‘Put on the full armour of God, so…you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes’ (Ephesians 6:11 NIVUK). Notice: you wear His armour – not yours. You’re to stand – not fight. ‘The weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh’ (2 Corinthians 10:4 NASB). Human methods get in God’s way; natural abilities are useless against spiritual forces. The grub of the dragonfly at the bottom of the pond may be a well-developed, vigorous grub. But once it becomes a dragonfly, the strengths of its grub-life won’t help it to live an airborne life. Whereas we once trusted in our own human effort, now we trust only in Jehovah-Nissi.

Isaiah 30-31, Ephesians 4
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 7:11am On Sep 19, 2021
What’s in a name? Everything! (4)

19 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.’
Judges 6:23 NIV

The name Jehovah-Shalom: the Lord my peace, was discovered by Gideon when God assigned him the job of leading Israel against the Midianites – a position Gideon saw as far beyond his abilities. ‘How can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family’ (v. 15 NIV). The Lord responded, ‘I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites…Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die’ (vv. 16, 23 NIV). A frightened Gideon believed God before the battle was even fought and the victory secured. Through the eyes of faith, he envisioned peace already secured, and built an altar to Jehovah-Shalom: the Lord my peace. We assume that we can only have inner peace when our outer circumstances are favourable. Let’s learn, like Gideon, that inward peace doesn’t depend on altering outward circumstances. It depends on believing that Jehovah-Shalom is with you, and that will bring you through the battle with inner peace. Jesus said: ‘Peace I leave with you; my peace [inner, faith-based] I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives [outward, circumstantial]. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid’ (John 14:27 NIV). No matter how inadequate you feel today, remember these words: ‘I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace…take heart! I have overcome the world’ (John 16:33 NIV). Your job is to ‘take heart’ because Jehovah-Shalom is with you, and to trust Christ the ‘overcomer’ to handle the circumstances for you!

Luke 17:20-37, Psalms 94-96
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 7:22am On Sep 20, 2021
What’s in a name? Everything! (5)

20 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘And this will be his name: “The LORD Is Our Righteousness.”’
Jeremiah 23:6 NLT

The name Jehovah-Tsidkenu: the Lord my righteousness, was given by God to Jeremiah, announcing the coming of Jesus. ‘I will raise up a righteous descendant from King David’s line…And this will be his name: “The Lord Is Our Righteousness”’ (vv. 5-6 NLT). Before Jesus came, our righteousness was dependent on our own efforts. ‘We will be counted as righteous when we obey all the commands the Lord our God has given us’ (Deuteronomy 6:25 NLT). But we failed the righteousness test big time! Then the ‘Lord our righteousness’ became our solution. Here’s how: God ‘made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him’ (2 Corinthians 5:21 NKJV). Notice, in Jesus we’ve ‘become’ [been converted…turned into] righteous before God! We’re not to try to do right just so we can feel right before God or generate a supply of good works to draw from when we need credit. We’re to draw what we need from the righteousness deposited into our account by Christ. If we need humility, purity, patience, kindness or love, it’s useless to look within ourselves. They’re just not there! We must draw them by faith from the supply stored up for us in Jesus. Guilty hearts can draw forgiveness, anxious spirits can draw peace, weary souls can draw strength, and confused minds can draw guidance from our inexhaustible supply in Jehovah-Tsidkenu. Just as you receive salvation by faith, you must draw righteousness and everything else you need through faith in what God has accomplished and stored up for your use in Jesus – the Lord your righteousness!

Isaiah 32-33, Ephesians 5:1-16
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 6:56am On Sep 22, 2021
Let God’s love dispel your fear

22 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘There is no fear in love…perfect love casts out fear.’
1 John 4:18 NKJV

Modern science confirms the truth of the Scripture: ‘There is no fear in love…perfect love casts out fear.’ Love and fear are incompatible; they can’t co-exist. Children have two basic needs: 1) A need to explore. That’s how they learn, grow and develop. 2) A need to feel safe. If they don’t feel secure, they won’t explore. Every human being needs a secure base from which to investigate and grow. Research confirms that, generally speaking, one parent more than the other will push a child to take chances, run risks and learn that a little danger is a good thing, while the other parent tends to be the comforter, the soother, the safety net. But the truth is any parent can give a child both gifts. When we’re afraid, our body activates its sympathetic nervous system. Our heart races, our breathing becomes faster and shallower and our muscles tense up. So we run to our non-anxious presence: our comforter, protector and parent. And as we are held, reassured and loved, the parasympathetic system takes over. Our heart rate slows, our breathing becomes deep and even, our muscles relax and blood flows back to our brain. In essence, a little voice inside us says, ‘I can go out and face the world again.’ It’s a fact in the physical realm that ‘perfect love casts out fear’. And it’s also true in the spiritual realm. With a God who is tender enough to love and comfort us, yet strong enough to be our rock and our fortress, we can face what life throws at us and grow stronger as a result.

Isaiah 37-38, Ephesians 6
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 5:49am On Sep 24, 2021
Speculation or revelation?

24 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘No man takes this honour to himself.’
Hebrews 5:4 NKJV

When it comes to knowing what God has called you to do in life, you have two options. 1) Speculation. Dr Hugh Moorhead, who heads the philosophy department at Northeastern Illinois University, wrote to two-hundred-and-fifty well-known philosophers, scientists, writers and intellectuals, asking them the time-honoured question: ‘What is the meaning of life?’ Then he published their responses in a book. Some offered their best guesses, some admitted they had made up a purpose for life, and others were honest enough to say they were clueless. In fact, a number of them asked Moorhead to write back and tell them if he himself had discovered the purpose of life. Thank God there’s a scriptural alternative to speculation! 2) Revelation. ‘No man takes this honour to himself, but he who is called by God.’ When you know God has called you to do a certain thing you can be confident He will provide the resources, wisdom, connections and strategy. And here’s the great thing – you can find all of these in His Word. The Bible is the original owner’s manual when it comes to explaining why you’re alive, how life works, what to avoid, and what to expect in the future. It explains what no self-help or philosophy book could possibly know. Paul writes, ‘God’s wisdom…goes deep into the interior of his purposes…It’s not the latest message, but more like the oldest – what God determined as the way to bring out his best in us’ (1 Corinthians 2:7 MSG). You’ve been genetically wired to fulfil a certain purpose in life. And to discover it, you must turn to God’s Word and not the world’s wisdom.

Isaiah 41-42, Philippians 2
Re: The Word For Today by Gistme12: 5:34am On Sep 25, 2021
Check the soil of your heart

25 SEPTEMBER 2021

‘The farmer plants seed by taking God’s word to others
Mark 4:14 NLT

In Jesus’ parable of the sower, the seed landed on four types of ground, producing four different results. ‘The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message, only to have Satan come at once and take it away. The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced. And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted’ (vv. 15-20 NLT). The seed of God’s word cannot fail: ‘It always produces fruit’ (Isaiah 55:11 NLT). So if God’s promises aren’t being fulfilled in your life, ask yourself, ‘What kind of soil am I?’ Are you a surface person – thin-skinned and easily offended? A shallow person with no spiritual root system? Are you thorny ground? Are ‘the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things’ choking the spiritual life out of you? Or are you rich, fertile ground that produces results? Check the soil of your heart.

Isaiah 43-44, Philippians 3

(1) (Reply)

It Is Too Easy / Why Christians Should Carry The Bible To Church, Not Phones Or Tabs / This Is The Voice Of God To Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Of Christ Embassy And You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.