Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Your Worst Flying Experience! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Worst Flying Experience! (6711 Views)

Finally, My Experience Flying For The Very First Time / Domestic Airlines Barred From Flying Foreign-registered Planes / Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by DeepSoul(f): 10:57am On Jun 03, 2011
I think I've been lucky enough never to have experienced turbulence so bad that I'll never forget.

Regardless, I have had constant horrible experiences with AERO CONTRACTORS and their timing. I wonder if they are in a different timezone from the rest of us. The worst thing anyone can ever do is try to take an AERO evening flight. Just forget it, you will arrive your destination at 2AM.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by blank(f): 11:08am On Jun 03, 2011
All my flights av been relatively uneventful. However, does flying boat count? We lived on an island for 5 of my early years. It was always by boat either the slow one for carrying cars or the faster one 4 carrying only people.  
There was another boat, extremely fast, that was for the top officials. One day I entered it with my dad 2 get 2 d island. It was so fast that I got scared n leaned on a pillar. What I thought was a pillar was a big stick and it gave way under me cos it wasn't bolted 2 d ground. I fell n almost tumbled into d water but my dad caught me and took me inside. I lost my school bag but that was a small price 2 pay.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by chuckdee4(m): 11:13am On Jun 03, 2011
bulDozer:

The experience is as a result of the pressure in the cabin. Chewing gums during the flight sure helps. In my own case I only experience it during descent. Good luck.

Yeah that usually works, if you have no gum, swallow your saliva, that usually works a treat.

My experience was on a flight from London to Amsterdam.
Mid way through the flight, there was a bright flash and you could hear the engines being turned off, all of a sudden there was silence and there was this feeling of just coasting through the air with no power.

After like 7 seconds, the power seemed to kick in, the pilot then made an announcement apologising for the strange occurence and explained that we had just been struck by lightening  shocked
THERE IS A GOD
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by indie22(f): 11:25am On Jun 03, 2011
I once took a flight on afriqair from lagos to london gatwick via tripoli, i must say that was the worst flight of my life. We boarded what looked to me like a plane from outside and a molue inside to Tripoli, the plane was shaking all through the flight, i wasnt sure if it was turbulence or nuts and bolts in the plane coming undone, it was dead cold in the aircraft and we had no blankets, no food, no inflight entertainement, i had to ask one of the cabin crew if i could borrow his jacket when blankets were not available as it was kind of chilly, and guess what? One of the cabin crew was smoking on board the aircraft, in the toilet and no one paid him any attention.

We got to tripoli and i felt like i was in a war zone, people carrying guns freely, immigration officers yelling at people, gadafi's huge potraits all over the place, we were there for over 3 hours, in my mind i cursed the travel agent who booked me on the flight (not like i blamed her anyway as i was being an 'ijebu' and was looking for the cheapest flight possible.

People were being harrassed unecessary, it was just hellish. When we eventually got on a flight to london, we were finally fed some weird looking food that looked like fried eggs and dried bread, and we had coke poured into cups to drink (3 people per bottle).

They'll definitely get my award for the crappiest airline ever!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by osikhueme(f): 11:36am On Jun 03, 2011
@ indie22 bad experience indeed. I think yours is the winning experience,
lol
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by zstranger: 11:37am On Jun 03, 2011
indie22:

I once took a flight on afriqair from lagos to london gatwick via tripoli, i must say that was the worst flight of my life. We boarded what looked to me like a plane from outside and a molue inside to Tripoli, the plane was shaking all through the flight, i wasnt sure if it was turbulence or nuts and bolts in the plane coming undone, it was dead cold in the aircraft and we had no blankets, no food, no inflight entertainement, i had to ask one of the cabin crew if i could borrow his jacket when blankets were not available as it was kind of chilly, and guess what? One of the cabin crew was smoking on board the aircraft, in the toilet and no one paid him any attention.

We got to tripoli and i felt like i was in a war zone, people carrying guns freely, immigration officers yelling at people, gadafi's huge potraits all over the place, we were there for over 3 hours, in my mind i cursed the travel agent who booked me on the flight (not like i blamed her anyway as i was being an 'ijebu' and was looking for the cheapest flight possible.

People were being harrassed unecessary, it was just hellish. When we eventually got on a flight to london, we were finally fed some weird looking food that looked like fried eggs and dried bread, and we had coke poured into cups to drink (3 people per bottle).

^^^^

Were you harassed in Tripoli?

Did they play with your bo/ob/ies? any fi/ng/er/in/g? Did you enjoy it?
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by shirleyz: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2011
My worst flying experience was as a result of turbulence. My colleague was just sleeping and in my mind i was just like, is this how my live is going to end, well i began to confess my sins of course. Come see as plane dey shake, the guy eventually woke up, see as mothers and children were screaming When the plane finally land, come see prayer and see as people were thanking God. Ol boy to enter plane no easy o and this is not the 1st time i am experiencing turbulence. smiley
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by freezy(m): 11:45am On Jun 03, 2011
zstranger:

^^^^

Did they play with your bo/ob/ies? any manipulation? Did you enjoy it?

^^^
Bros, you harsh o
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by indie22(f): 11:54am On Jun 03, 2011
zstranger:

^^^^

Did they play with your bo/ob/ies? any fi/ng/er/in/g? Did you enjoy it?

I no get your time,
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by zstranger: 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^

That means you enjoyed it.

Silence means consent.

How big is your perenren?  and backside too? soft or hard?

Do you have organisimo when guys press your nyansh?
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by freezy(m): 12:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^^

Pally, you are sick o! Lwkmd for here  grin grin grin

Indie, don't mind him jare. His name preceeds him. Could be strange at times.

Methinks he likes you though. . . [size=4pt]He likes mosta the active feminine folk on the blog[/size]
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Thirst4Lif: 2:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was my first time flying. I, along with 2 co-workers, was going to Las Vegas for a week of fun. When the plane began to elevate

I was so petrified I gripped the hand of the lady sitting next to me. She laughed, I held on until the plane leveled off.

I never asked her name, but I'm sure there's an old white woman somewhere with a disabled right hand!

1 Like

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by MMM2(m): 3:10pm On Jun 03, 2011
my God alwayz guide me .
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by dollypi(m): 3:15pm On Jun 03, 2011
I think it was Arik or Virgin, from Ph to Lagos, about 3 years ago.

The plane I was in shook violently, and then plunged very sharply. It felt like that elevator feeling, only 50 times worse. I thought the plunging would stop after a few seconds, but it continued. See screaming and shouting of Jesus! Jesus oh! in that plane. By the time the plane got out of the free fall, the lady beside me was sobbing, with her hands gripping my shirt violently as if I had smacked her behind in the market.

She gave me her number sha.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by kokoye(m): 3:18pm On Jun 03, 2011
I used egbe and landed on high voltage wires.

Thank God it was in Nigeria  grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by dollypi(m): 3:23pm On Jun 03, 2011
kokoye:

No electricity at that time, right? Lucky you.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by kokoye(m): 3:26pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^

You are too smart
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by bulDozer: 4:38pm On Jun 03, 2011
Koolking:

mine was wen our flight from Turkey enroute Lagos landed in one of the bus stops in Ikeja, Lagos, to drop off some passengers, unknown to the Pilot that the bus stop is an illegal one and we were busted by LASTMA. The plane was towed of course
You are not serious.  grin

indie22:

Funny!

dollypi:

No electricity at that time, right? Lucky you.

You can safely cling to high tension electrical cables for up to 6 months in Nigeria if you so wish. grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Owugal(f): 5:59pm On Jun 03, 2011
my worst flying experience so far was when flying from riyadh to jeddah. the plane we got in was tiny, and i mean it took only about 10 people at the most. or less actually. we had ascended oh. all of a sudden everything was quiet as if the engine had died. then comes sharp freefall that lasts a second but seemed like forever to me. my heart is in my mouth, my eyes are watery. then the plane begins to ascend again and the engine comes on again and then the engine dies and it seems like we are souring in the air on a cloud (because everything is absolutely quiet) and not a mechanical transport. freefall. then plane begins to sputter like a car about to die. as if the pilot turned on the ignition and the engine roared and died and sputters forward and stops,freefall and then ascend and then engine comes on and then off then sputter.

Pilot comes on announcer eventually to announce that we have lost an engine and must turn back.
the headache that developed after that announcement lasted from that day till 3 years ago. lasting about 11 years. i hate small planes.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by tnktosin(m): 6:01pm On Jun 03, 2011
osikhueme:

lol!! Try flying a helicopter, I flew in one to the rig and all i kept thinking for the about 45mins ride was my plane crashing and militants coming to kidnap us if we made it.

Its real scary and the Helicopter Underwater Emergency Training (HUET) they give you before you go on a heli just makes you think of plane crash the whole time you'r on the flight

The thing is so unstable, God abeg,

It's mainly for this reason that I chose not to work in the upstream sector, cos i prolly wont leave till im 30 grin
I believe flying in the chopper is relatively safer as compared to the plane (the plane is alot faster and more comfortable for long trips though), an experienced chopper pilot can still land you safely if you lose you engines in-flight anywhere (even on water). The only problem I have with chopper flight is the noise. The only scary experience (news) i've had was in 2009, when a chopper ditched into the ocean close to my location; just that the ditching was controlled by the pilots. No one was hurt (All 18 passengers including 2 pilots). ps: It was a Super puma.
U could check these links
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/398622-puma-ditching-nigeria.html
http://vtolblog.com/?p=1337

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Owugal(f): 6:03pm On Jun 03, 2011
indie22:

That was a nasty flight and qualifies absolutely as stand up comedy horror joke, joke of horror
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by JoeGaruba: 6:56pm On Jun 03, 2011
freeman9ja:

@Osikhueme, my dear, helicopter is safer than the airplane, atleast u have your life jacket on u, incase u landing in the ocean.
And dnt 4get, the doors can open authomatically whn their is an emergency while the fans will fly out with a click of a button.
I also fly Helicopters a lot. Just the noise is disturbing.

Not in all cases o. If Engine fail for heli, yawa gas be that. Some planes still get more than one engine,
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by JimmyBoy1: 7:01pm On Jun 03, 2011
I have not had any, I often pray concerning every aspect of my flight: the crew, engines,weather in fact everything and God has always answered. Sounds silly, but it has always worked so no point stopping.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by tnktosin(m): 7:16pm On Jun 03, 2011
JoeGaruba:

Not in all cases o. If Engine fail for heli, yawa gas be that. Some planes still get more than one engine,

Bros, if engine fails, an helicopter can still land successfully given the right conditions and if the pilot can get into autorotation mode early enough. Personally, i feel safe in the helicopter. you could check out some youtube videos too, before you conclude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WoDFwikfQ
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by cescky(m): 7:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
mine was from ph to lagos air nigeria, 4pm flight but was delayed till 6pm, we took off just before it started raining cats and dogs,as we were taking off the run way forces of nature (wind and rain were seriously resisting us) angry , we managed to take off and enterd the storm proper, kai see turbulance, the plane started shaking like ur driving on an untarred and rugged road,(i thot to myself if i were on the road i wld have jumped outside the car, but here i was 30 000 feet in the air) sad it was dark outside too shocked, when i looked outside the windows all i saw was thick blackness , some places thick redness, i said God , na like this i go go ? grin, was praying in my mind sha. before we even landed we had to parambulate the skies of lagos for a while for the pilot to see road,
i looked around the flight every one was forming "no fear" and not betraying any emotions. (naija can form)it was when we got down that i heard people confessing that that was a really terrible flight.
the expreience was not at all funny
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by moshd(m): 9:41pm On Jun 03, 2011
lastma must av towed an Aero bus fo sho, lmao!!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by roughneck: 9:47pm On Jun 03, 2011
kokoye:

buhahahahaha!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jun 03, 2011
osikhueme:

lol!! Try flying a helicopter, I flew in one to the rig and all i kept thinking for the about 45mins ride was my plane crashing and militants coming to kidnap us if we made it.

Its real scary and the Helicopter Underwater Emergency Training (HUET) they give you before you go on a heli just makes you think of plane crash the whole time you'r on the flight

The thing is so unstable, God abeg,

It's mainly for this reason that I chose not to work in the upstream sector, cos i prolly wont leave till im 30  grin

LOL! I also had similar experience. D HUET didn't help matters atall cos it kept ringing in my head! I boarded this helicopter and was on my way offshore on a clear weather all of a sudden when we were flying over the sea the weather suddenly changed and it started raining heavily! The helicoter started vibrating heavily and to worsen d situation, the vissibility became almost zero and d pilot lost d radar. We couldn't make an emergency landing cos we were flying over water. It was supposed to be a 45min flight from ph but we v already spent more than 1.30min flying. Infact I already accepted we were going to crash and land in d sea then d sharks will feed on us till we all die. I started praying to God to accept my soul and forgive me all my past sins. It was until I saw d flare of our Rig that I believed I made it alive.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by eewule(m): 9:27am On Jun 04, 2011
I've had so many scary experiences with flights that i dont know which one to pick here,  but so far i'm getting more comfortable with flying  , expecially after reading this  http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/how-to-survive-a-plane-crash1.htm

didnt know there was any hope for passengers in a doomed and crashing plane , now i try to read it before flying just in case ,
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by naijangel7(f): 11:32am On Jun 04, 2011
And the worst flight award goes to:

indie22:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Fredayn(m): 8:54pm On Jun 04, 2011
Mine was a year ago flyin from abuja to heathrow, i drank alot of water before boarding d flight and to worsen d matter i was searched twice after whch wasnt and dis made me over anxious. I couldnt count how many times i visitd d toilet to ease myself when we were airborne, even we had to queue to use d toilet. I couldnt xplain d feelings when i had to wait for 10min b4 my turn. It was serious,
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by omoge001: 11:37pm On Jun 04, 2011
Four years ago, when I traveled witk KLM airlines from Spain-France-Nigeria. It happened twice after the plane had been balanced in the air. It suddenly started shaking like a molue bus coming out from one pothole and entering another. It was so bad that I thought I may have to say my last prayer. But thank God I survived it.
I haaaaatttttttteeeeee flying.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South Korea Visa rules eased / Express Entry Or PNP Which Is Easier For PR To Canada? / How To Drive Safely Around Large Trucks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.