Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Your Worst Flying Experience! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Worst Flying Experience! (6692 Views)

Finally, My Experience Flying For The Very First Time / Domestic Airlines Barred From Flying Foreign-registered Planes / Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Worst Flying Experience! by Rhino5dm: 5:27pm On May 25, 2011
Mine was on an international route to Dubai when the air hoistress announce posibility of encountering  a tail votex. Even though i understand the terminology in fluid dynamics; but never had any practical experince of its effects.

After a while i notice a relatively increase in the vibration of the air craft so i fasten my seat belt carelessly. lol
Then there was this instant crushing force pulling down the air craft which lasted for about 60 seconds couple with this powerful vibration throwing down all luggages, then i ask myself how can i end up 'like this'grin so, i started confessing my past sins and promising God never to return to them if given a second chance.
grin grin grin

Mehn! this life they sweet me no be small o. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by 1luvkipsus: 5:43pm On May 25, 2011
Mine was when I got held up in a traffic jam and attempted to fly over the traffic only to discover that I had no wings. I only succeded in hurting my legs after a terrible fall.To bad!!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by apoti(m): 6:04pm On May 25, 2011
Mine was Lagos to Abuja (Aero contractors), we landed safely then the door refused to open  cheesy

It wasn't a funny at all as we spent like 10 minutes inside after the landing while they were trying to fix it, and everyone was becoming very restless.
We later went out through the back door  grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Bawss1(m): 6:08pm On May 25, 2011
Nice thread. Shouldn't it be in the Travel section though?
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by apoti(m): 6:09pm On May 25, 2011
Bawss1:

Nice thread. Shouldn't it be in the Travel section though?

Yea it should
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Sunofgod(m): 6:14pm On May 25, 2011
Flying into Murtalla Muhammed about 10 years ago and seeing a 'Crashed' Nipost plane at the side of the runway.

I got a feeling it had been there for some time - maybe others here saw this.

Naija - cheesy
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Starlett: 9:12pm On May 25, 2011
About a couple of years ago. Funny enough, last flight before my wedding. Check out the turbulence just on approach at PH international. It was actually raining cats and dogs.

Goodness! I told people later that now I've known what the inside of an airplane is like moments before a crash. But amidst all the hullabaloo, I somehow just trusted God that we'd not only land safely, but my wedding will happen. Thank God, years later, I'm still married and flying!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 25, 2011
hmmmmm
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Jarus(m): 9:20am On May 26, 2011
Spent almost 2 hours between Abuja and Lagos. I slept immediately we were airborne, woke up, checked time, more than the expected 45 minutes, joked with the man beside me that 'we've been on air for more than 1 hr, abi we don pass Lagos ni?', and he told me that there had been an announcement while I was sleeping that we were having difficulty landing. Hovered for another 30 minutes before being able to land.

Meanwhile, thread moved to Travel Section.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by lucabrasi(m): 3:01am On Jun 03, 2011
not sure if this counts but here goes, last year november air france flight to manchester via charles de gaulle, missed check in and the only remaining flight check in was closing in like 10 minutes
this dodgy man comes up to me and was helping me to run around, air france office and i had to shell out $100 i didnt plan on spending eventually the man that i though was helping demanded for £40 i ended up parting with 2,500 naira for unsolicited help
the several colours of uniforms giving me grief especially one fat immigration officer who seem to be specially interested in me and singled me out for special searching thankfully i got on the last flight got to france and i forgot my bb in the toilet luckily i realised just in time and got it back
slept for 2 days straight when i got home grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Nobody: 3:43am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was from nigeria to Usa, SPENT modasucka three days on the way, never in my life will i use Air marok, never
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by anyauto: 4:33am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was with delta airline, Lagos to Atlanta. flight was supposed to leave originally by 9am, we were all in the plane then they came up with excuses that fuel was not getting in the tank or what ever, to summarise the whole story. we were in the plane till 3pm that day. automatically we missed all connecting flights, I think it was jan 22 2009
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by zstranger: 5:32am On Jun 03, 2011
Thank God, I dont fly.

I use Odeshi all the time, never fails.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by koksybrwn(m): 6:24am On Jun 03, 2011
pls u guyz shouldnt remind me of this,
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by strangest(m): 7:33am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was one night, me and other witches, we were suppose to fly around that night just for fun and see if we can meet up with Harry Porter, unfortunately one church for our area they organize prayers that night, Omo no hear thunder when they shouted the name of Jesus, I nearly crashed that day, grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by JAZES(m): 7:59am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was abuja-lagos. We spent almost two hours in the air
as plane no fit land.
Come see different prayers and all sorts grin grin grin. Na that day i know
say we dey religious for dis country oo
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by chijane1(f): 8:30am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was with Arik around 2nd week 0f dec,last year.we took off frm Abuja to Lagos witout A/C,uptill the time we landed,no body told us why.The flight was my worst.to worsen the problem,it was a late evening flight.It was just God's mercies anyway.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Benzora(m): 8:45am On Jun 03, 2011
PH to Abuja on Arik, 8th of May, 2011 on 4 something PM flight. We hit a storm just as we were starting to descend to Abuja, the 4 or 5 minutes this drama lasted are the longest minutes i have ever witnessed, a free fall, the kabashing by other pax, the vibes as though the plane was gonna be torn in pieces. It was praise, worship and clapping when we eventually landed. I honestly didn't realise Ibinabo was such a great praise and worship singer until that moment as she sat right in front of me and then the fellow beside me, not so sure what he wanted to prove asked me if I was afraid, You can be sure it took a couple days to get back to normal. And I thank God for another chance at life.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by maclatunji: 8:47am On Jun 03, 2011
I was in the plane from Calabar to Lagos. About 2/3rd of the journey, I started feeling pressure on my ears. Gradually, my hearing dropped and as the pressure increased so did the pain. I looked around and saw that everybody was quite normal except me. The couple beside me were chatting away without problems (at this point, I could not hear what they were saying). The lady seemed to identify my condition, saying it was cabin pressure. I was in serious pain for about the next twenty minutes (holding my head like superman suffering from kryptonite) until the plane landed in Lagos. Funny, I have not done more research on that predicament to see if there is anything I can do to prevent a re-ocurrence. Prior to that I was on a flight from Lagos to Calabar and everything went fine.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by osikhueme(f): 9:06am On Jun 03, 2011
@ mclatunji, dat has happened to me on every single flight since i started flying,

someone said to try ear muffs n i do that now but i have to hold to close to my ear for the whole flight, can't even comfortably turn d pages of my book or sip my juice cos all hands are engaged grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by maclatunji: 9:08am On Jun 03, 2011
osikhueme:

@ mclatunji, dat has happened to me on every single flight since i started flying,

someone said to try ear muffs n i do that now but i have to hold to close to my ear for the whole flight, can't even comfortably turn d pages of my book or sip my juice cos all hands are engaged grin

We probably both need help. Let me know when you get some!
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by r231(m): 9:24am On Jun 03, 2011
;d ;d
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by delegiwa(m): 9:25am On Jun 03, 2011
Mine was during my honeymoon, May 2007.  My wife and I went to Obudu Ranch and never knew it was a long distance from Calabar town to Obudu town not to talk of the Ranch itself.  It was along the road that we decided to fly back to Calabar whenever we'll be coming back cos my wife complained bitterly about the distance.

That was (nearly) my undoing!

Immediately I saw the small plane, my liver gave way.  Just as the plane was ascending, it lost altitude and there was this free fall for almost 5 seconds that seemed like eternity.  Omo I nearly did it in my pants oh.  The place sef no be flat land oh.  See mountain peaks everywhere! Dem for no see wreckage at all for a century,

But my God pass them.  Wife wey I never even enjoy as at that time!

1 Like

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by playahP(m): 9:30am On Jun 03, 2011
d
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by freeman9ja(m): 9:39am On Jun 03, 2011
Well, I choose the kind of jets i enter, though accident can happen with any jet
but its better if u choose to fly a bigger well manage aircraft.
I would never fly any local aircraft in Nigeria. The maintainance is really very poor, pls mind how u risk ur lives.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by osikhueme(f): 9:46am On Jun 03, 2011
lol!! Try flying a helicopter, I flew in one to the rig and all i kept thinking for the about 45mins ride was my plane crashing and militants coming to kidnap us if we made it.

Its real scary and the Helicopter Underwater Emergency Training (HUET) they give you before you go on a heli just makes you think of plane crash the whole time you'r on the flight

The thing is so unstable, God abeg,

It's mainly for this reason that I chose not to work in the upstream sector, cos i prolly wont leave till im 30 grin
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by BABE3: 9:48am On Jun 03, 2011
For the past 3/4 years all my flight experiences have been bad--- Really-- It's like I'm Jinxed or something.

If there's no "hold-up" on the runway, my bags will be missin. If my bags are not missing, I'm sitting with a crackhead on the flight. If I'm not sitting with a crackhead, smoke is in the plane--- And so on.

God help me.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by freeman9ja(m): 10:00am On Jun 03, 2011
@Osikhueme, my dear, helicopter is safer than the airplane, atleast u have ur life jacket on u, incase u landing in the ocean.
And dnt 4get, the doors can open authomatically whn their is an emergency while the fans will fly out with a click of a button.
I also fly Helicopters a lot. Just the noise is disturbing.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by mecussey(m): 10:07am On Jun 03, 2011
From Lagos to Frankfurt by Lufthansa about 1am, there was this turbulence that lasted up to 30 minutes around Egypt and north Africa. Men, I was wondering if that was a Nigerian road; but I trusted God and believed TB joshua when he said we should build our confidence with negative and positive, i.e whether I die or not God is still the almighty.

1 Like

Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by bulDozer: 10:15am On Jun 03, 2011
maclatunji:

We probably both need help. Let me know when you get some!

The experience is as a result of the pressure in the cabin. Chewing gums during the flight sure helps. In my own case I only experience it during descent. Good luck.
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by smileyprin(m): 10:40am On Jun 03, 2011
mine SAA fligh 4rm zambia to joburg a year ago there was a terribe turbulence that manyy pple were praying nd crying funnily i was emotionless because of my small bro nd cuzo
Re: Your Worst Flying Experience! by Koolking(m): 10:55am On Jun 03, 2011
mine was wen our flight from Turkey enroute Lagos landed in one of the bus stops in Ikeja, Lagos, to drop off some passengers, unknown to the Pilot that the bus stop is an illegal one and we were busted by LASTMA. The plane was towed of course

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwadamilola Emmanue: Lagos Recorded Zero Boat Mishap In The Last Six Months / With 2 Million Naira Where Can I Comfortably Migrate To? / South Korea Visa rules eased

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.