Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,393 members, 7,815,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt (20309 Views)

Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:05am On Sep 17, 2021
AK481:

Your paper can never be complete for a tokumbo car.
But some things are so petty that they demand for .
Do you know that you now need police report and affidavit from court to change the color of your tokumbo.?
boss this is my first time of hearing or seeing this but the tokunbo car hasn't been registered so how will they know I changed the color except if the painter made it so obvious that it was repainted else they won't know because on the duty,the color of the car isn't there except the person added the clean title or salvage docs which would indicate the color of the car when it was overseas
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:08am On Sep 17, 2021
In2systemsTech:
Oga... Sometimes you just give them story and tell them your money is finished. You don't really have to pay all of them
yes at times that works for only a few of them but those ones along benin-onitsha or benin-2nd bypass heading towards jesse-sapele Road are the real devil's incarnate some if you guck yourself go even put SK,weed or even bullets inside your motor Oga mi you go find the money come out ooooooooo
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:09am On Sep 17, 2021
Passionate888:
Let me book space before reading.

Oladipuposadeeq come and share your experience if any
I don dey drop some boss mi wink
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by mjizzie(m): 8:11am On Sep 17, 2021
Even with your complete papers, police will still look for stupid reason to extort you. I travelled from ogun state to osun, one of the police checkpoints I met asked for medical report after presenting all the papers of the car to him including tinted permit. I was shocked to hear that. He delayed us, ask us for money. But he later allowed us to go after so many begging
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by akinmusi(m): 8:14am On Sep 17, 2021
@ op

oladipuposadeeq

Mine was when I took an SUV Lexus RX300 to anambra the point is at every checkpoint you have to drive holding the steering with your right hand, extend your left hand outside the car window holding the appropriate amount for any uniformed personnel on stand to collect such money.

For the police 200 naira, 4 custom 1000 for the army, say 200. In short, the arny dont ask.

When should you stretch out your hand for a police officer or any of them and was not able to quickly collect it, you escape giving that money, but with caution oo.

Thats just the trick. Anyone that now looks for an excuse or result of fault in your document, you just have to be very very patient.

That's what you will devise as your car or engine rest period. In the end, you might have to just part with 2,000 to 3,000 as it is perceived that you are not desperate to leave.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:15am On Sep 17, 2021
femi4:
Next time, just get a uniform man e.g a soldier as a passenger, and if at all you are going to pay, it won't be that high
boss its just that at times its risky and we won't know when it is. I have carried some passengers before at berger then I was going to uyo to deliver a sienna to lecturer in ritman college, it was midway I discovered the way they were looking later along the way thats btw J3 and j, two of them said they wanted to urinate along the bush and I knew sumtin was suspicious Oga mi for where na 160km I dey touch and I dey tell all my passengers immediately say anybody wey wan collect motor for my hand na all of us go die 2geda wink Na benin I drop 2 of them make them put me for wahala

2 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:19am On Sep 17, 2021
siraj1402:
I think I spent around 4k in June for taken my Lexus RX350 from Lagos to Akure.
yes very very possible i have spent less or nothing and at times slightly more depending on how busy the road is at that particular time. Your head dey there jare boss.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:22am On Sep 17, 2021
newdawnlive:
oga you're JJC I normally carry my motor from Ibadan to Enugu the highest I paid is 5k yes, police are smart the moment them see fear for your face they will extol you, keep calm if u are driving on the highway.u don't need to pay custom if your paper is complete.
you just dey too blunt besides his car is toks and even if its newly registered customs will know but the major issue was that he is a novice along that road that's just it. and the vehicle you moved to enugu is registered abi?
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by sorepco(m): 8:25am On Sep 17, 2021
I no go blame buhari here ooh!
Obamsanjo and jonathan did not rectify the p. Harcourt and warrri and calabar ports problem either!

Naija8240:
“My first experience picking up a car from Tincan Port Lagos to Port Harcourt”

The day started off with me picking up the car from Lagos Port. Thereafter, I proceeded to register it to avoid unnecessary interception from security personnels on the road ensuring all necessary documents were in check.

Knowing how the system functions, I was advised to keep some cash handy for some security personnels I’ll meet at various checkpoints. What I encountered on the road didn’t seem like extortions . In fact! One can say the police, army and every other security officers that are suppose to protect lives and properties of our dear country are the people robbing us.

How did we get here?
Nigeria security services have destroyed this country!
There were about 23 check points all filled with police ,army and customs on the high way. Each had a particular amount stipulated to be paid.
I met like 9 custom officers checking for duty papers. Each asked for a “1k non-negotiable fee” as that was a standard for them. Then the army took 200 naira at each check point.

The police are the worst!
These guys are hardened criminals disguised in uniforms to operate legally on the road. They have no mercy. I spent 2-5k each at checkpoints.
I ran out of luck as I approached Benin where the bigger problem started.

I got to a checkpoint and was told my car is tinted and the registered plate number didn’t reflect on their system. I was taken to their station and asked to pay the sum of 100k. I looked at heaven, left and right for help but none came. I started negotiating the extortion, and we ended up at 40k. After paying I was allowed to leave and so I continued my journey hoping this time the extortions were over.

As God answered my prayers, I didn’t meet any Custom officer from Benin to Port Harcourt just police check points.
In total, I spent 98k on extortions and it saddens me. The questions that still lingers in my head is “why Port Harcourt and Warri Ports are still not functioning till date”?
Why do our Politicians Politicize everything in this country?
If not politics, tell me why the Ports in the South are not operating?
There are lots of readjustments to be made especially where citizens in my country have accepted extortion as norm.
We need to do better!

God bless!!
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:25am On Sep 17, 2021
Carparts888:
As long as your papers are complete, be bold and u dont need to settle every check point.
Its tinted permit police is using now to chop especially if not factory tinted and even with medical report.
The rogues in uniform extort more especially if the car is unregistered.
So next time be bold, more confident and learn to stand your ground.
Remember your not caught with a gun or contraband and remember is your tax money that pay these rogues.
*NOTE* ALL OFFICERS FEAR BOLD , CALM AND CONFIDENT PEOPLE.
you are very right boss but God won't let us meet unfortunate officials, I have met one on my way to deliver a Sequioa to a client in Abuja yes I admit I over reacted and he tried harassing me which turned physical kind off but I am still grateful to date that his bullet didn't touch me but at the end my passengers told me I was insane because I overreacted when he asked me for 5k police not even customs. Thunder fire am there cheesy

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:27am On Sep 17, 2021
correctyourself:

That is one of the areas former President Jonathan faid us, he has the power then to make those sea port to function, rather, people like Alison was busy making herself financial seaport.
thats just it. He was busy trying to satisfy the northerners thereby forgetting his own people

2 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:29am On Sep 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

All I see is inexperience.
Lagos to Benin road has the most notorious police Checkpoints in Nigeria and if you're not smart, you will lose your life on that road in the hands of men in uniform. I ply that road almost every week. I drive a pretty decent car so their eyes are always up when they see me but they can't do me nothing cuz they have tried many times. Rule number 1 of police men is, never be in a hurry to leave.
Tell them to give you bed, that you want to sleep. Na dem go dey get you to go.

As for the tinted glass issue, pls try and know your right sometimes. I know this people don't respect people's rights but state it categorically that the tinted cars rules states that cars that are factory tinted has a grace period of 6 months for the user to change the windows.
Tell them to call their IG and ask or they should transfer you to Abuja. cheesy
But I have a warning for you, before you start trouble with them, stand in front of them and call your family, make sure the police men can hear you telling your family members where you are and why they are holding you. If you can, mentions some of them or describe how he looks. If not, they will just kill you and sell your car to someone going to Cotonu
you don turn OG thats ogbologbo for road now cheesy
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by tadel(m): 8:30am On Sep 17, 2021
And this is with all your papers in tact ooo. It is so sad.
Naija8240:

The day started off with me picking up the car from Lagos Port. Thereafter, I proceeded to register it to avoid unnecessary interception from security personnels on the road ensuring all necessary documents were in check.

Knowing how the system functions, I was advised to keep some cash handy for some security personnels I’ll meet at various checkpoints. What I encountered on the road didn’t seem like extortions . In fact! One can say the police, army and every other security officers that are suppose to protect lives and properties of our dear country are the people robbing us.

How did we get here?
There were about 23 check points all filled with police ,army and customs on the high way. Each had a particular amount stipulated to be paid.
I met like 9 custom officers checking for duty papers. Each asked for a “1k non-negotiable fee” as that was a standard for them. Then the army took 200 naira at each check point.

These guys are hardened criminals disguised in uniforms to operate legally on the road. They have no mercy. I spent 2-5k each at checkpoints.

I got to a checkpoint and was told my car is tinted and the registered plate number didn’t reflect on their system. I was taken to their station and asked to pay the sum of 100k. I looked at heaven, left and right for help but none came. I started negotiating the extortion, and we ended up at 40k. After paying I was allowed to leave and so I continued my journey hoping this time the extortions were over.

As God answered my prayers, I didn’t meet any Custom officer from Benin to Port Harcourt just police check points.
In total, I spent 98k on extortions and it saddens me. The questions that still lingers in my head is “why Port Harcourt and Warri Ports are still not functioning till date”?
There are lots of readjustments to be made especially where citizens in my country have accepted extortion as norm.
We need to do better!

God bless!!
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by oladipuposadeeq(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2021
femi4:
When you see the original, you will know
Oga mi when person no be clairvoyant abi wetin them dey call those people self. God dey our back jare
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Haishophem(m): 8:37am On Sep 17, 2021
FakeUnity:

Do your research and find out why the foreign foolanis who run the customs, NPA, NIWA etc will never let Eastern ports work. The joke is you bloody one nigeria mugus.

People like you never proffer reasonable solutions without resorting to insults.. if you've conducted proper research, you would have known that a fulani woman gave 10% discount for vessels calling at eastern ports just to attract patronage of those ports. Your research should further cite reasons why importers preferred Lagos over eastern ports, since most of you believed that all cargoes imported to the country are for the eastern region.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Tapout(m): 8:41am On Sep 17, 2021
Carparts888:
As long as your papers are complete, be bold and u dont need to settle every check point.
Its tinted permit police is using now to chop especially if not factory tinted and even with medical report.
The rogues in uniform extort more especially if the car is unregistered.
So next time be bold, more confident and learn to stand your ground.
Remember your not caught with a gun or contraband and remember is your tax money that pay these rogues.
*NOTE* ALL OFFICERS FEAR BOLD , CALM AND CONFIDENT PEOPLE.

I can attest to your last sentence. Especially being calm.

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by PaAdu02(m): 8:47am On Sep 17, 2021
The task went through wasn't for novice , there re professionals that do this movement, Lagos to Portharcourt should have cost less than 10k for road settlement, that's what greed caused u too. Nextime, call the people that do the crossing and pay , the cost of moving a car from Lagos to PH should be 50k
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Metronomy(m): 8:52am On Sep 17, 2021
SmartPolician:

You people should stop quoting an entire thread before making a comment. Just mention the person's moniker and the site will tag them. Besides, it's customs not custom; there's a difference.

@Naija8240 I am waiting for the day Wike will take up that last part of the point you raised. How can a country of 200m depend on the port in Lagos whereas there are ports in Onne, Calabar and Warri? It seems the South South governors left their fights to Wike alone.

I'm a Freight Forwarder and I'll tell you one of the reasons why Lagos Port will keep functioning than ports in South South is their Agbero has no Boss, all of them are boss.
Here in Lagos, you can only be scared of police's gun and those touts from breaking your car, but in Onne port, both Police and unidentified guys they carry rifles.
I've worked their in Onne and their mafia is too much.

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Calitoscassius(m): 9:03am On Sep 17, 2021
Herdeynikeh95:
use people dat do this job next time. This wud av cost u less, may b 40k or more less...
I think I ve moved a tok from lag to ph sometime July and I didn't spend a dime on custom not to talk of police nor army.. I was lucky though... I picked some police service commission (psc) workers at the tollgate ,they did most of the clearing while I clear some too... The hardest was delaying me for upto a mins or 2min, the rest are just go go go go...e still get secret Sha but no b wetin I go talk here
But why? Why should you do or need to do all these just to move your vehicle, within your own country? I have driven from london to france, Germany, Brussels and Amsterdam i never had any problems, no police, no customs (except at the border) no army, no immigrations again (except at the borders) but in nigeria i cannot drive from Ekwulobia to Enugu or Awka without harrassment and extortions from nigerian so called security officers.

3 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Calitoscassius(m): 9:06am On Sep 17, 2021
SmartPolician:

You people should stop quoting an entire thread before making a comment. Just mention the person's moniker and the site will tag them. Besides, it's customs not custom; there's a difference.

@Naija8240 I am waiting for the day Wike will take up that last part of the point you raised. How can a country of 200m depend on the port in Lagos whereas there are ports in Onne, Calabar and Warri? It seems the South South governors left their fights to Wike alone.
What is with the lecture? cheesy they can quote the entire Nairaland if they want, just drop your own comment and fork off!! Einstein!
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Calitoscassius(m): 9:12am On Sep 17, 2021
This is the reasons i stopped importing vehicles into nigeria, one of my vehicle (2017 SUV Benz) is still stuck at tin can since 2017. I got fed up with the extortions.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by lonelydora: 9:17am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!

Why didn't you give that car to dealers to bring for you? You are lucky they didn't try to steal the car sef.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Jadeng: 9:49am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!

@OP,
Sorry o...
What you experienced is just tip of the iceberg of the reality most road users go through daily .

I have come to a conclusion about the Nigerian situation that, we are our own problems in this country....
We can continue to blaming Buhari, Jonathan, Obasanjo or Lugard and keep failing to take responsibility to do what is right..... we will keep having all these problems.

Let me also say that, what is happening on roads, in communities and the society is direct reflection of Government.

Question; Where are those in Government from??

God bless Nigeria.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Gentlerespect76: 9:54am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!

It is only those inexperienced in this matter that would not understand your frustration and the level of rot in this country. I have gone that road before. And man, it wasn't funny. Just curse them out of the bitterness of your heart and forget it. No country sent these officials on this evil, heartless errand. God punish them for aiding our loss of faith in this country!
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by kedeojo(m): 10:03am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!
The question should be trow to our so called south south brother when he was a president. charity begins at home.

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Realtosin: 10:04am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!
Pls can I turn this to news for publication?
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by GeneralKoko(m): 10:29am On Sep 17, 2021
SmartPolician:

Amaechi is building the Bonny Port . It will be commissioned next year!
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by austinelex: 10:37am On Sep 17, 2021
Humulity:
Quite unfortunate, I brought mine (Lagos to Enugu) spending N100. Jusst after Ore, my papers where being checked and the Police man checking my papers was rebuked by his colleague telling him that he would not see any fault with that paper. Collected the papers and returned to me and said; Oga I know Say na new motor, find us something. That was when I parted with N100.
lies continue unless may be na force man you be i fit believe you
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Cowbell521: 10:52am On Sep 17, 2021
Dottore:
You committed no crime. The security operatives especially the Police took advantage of your gullibility. How can you part with 40k just like that. My candid advise is for you to take up the matter. Particularly the 40k.
Guy's should learn to stand their ground whenever they start their wickedness.
Easy to say. D guy no gullible. Na u gullible. Make E drop him vehicle there for 1week or 1 month. Make den still later say na D car den take rub somewhere. Better learn from him so U know how to avoid stuffs like this. Claiming right for this country in some cases na stupidity
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by GuntersChain(m): 11:52am On Sep 17, 2021
You would have save yourself the stress by engaging any of them as driver to bring the car down to you.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by AK481(m): 12:08pm On Sep 17, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:
boss this is my first time of hearing or seeing this but the tokunbo car hasn't been registered so how will they know I changed the color except if the painter made it so obvious that it was repainted else they won't know because on the duty,the color of the car isn't there except the person added the clean title or salvage docs which would indicate the color of the car when it was overseas
Your clearance will carry the colour that was imported .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Drivers License Now Valid For Five Years / The Real People Who Were Used As Car Crash Test Dummies In 1970s Germany / Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.