Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? (30439 Views)

How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? / Private Car Owners Do Not Need Roadworthiness Issued By VIO - Appeal Court / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Blessing185(f): 4:00pm On Sep 24, 2021
Yes expecially this jallopic scrap valued aboki condemn reject posted by this assassin Creed..

https://www.nairaland.com/6768461/used-neatly-used-toyota-camry#106129637

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by zikter(m): 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2021
adonainana:
it depends on the extent of the accidental damage and the expertise of the automobile panel technician that worked on the body.

In real sense the factory body material is not so much different from what local panel beaters use, but remember in the factory, the body of a car is built in a mechanised fashion, and in built like a skeleton, so its easier to build a house from scratch than to patch it when it has been bulldozed.

So technically nothing wrong with an accident car, so far it has been repaired and fixed properly

But trust Nigerians, First body this First body that,

a used Toyota Camry car that was produced in 2013 , almost 10 years ago now almost sells for almost $10,0000 dollars (5,500,000 million naira )

Imagine a used car costs 5.5 million naira, and the used car is 10 years old

Are you telling me for the last 10 years, the owners who have used it parked it in the garage and were babysitting it like a baby for 10 years before it found itsway to Nigeria and be sold like brand new again

Kai

But I want to ask, if a car was manufactured in 2013 but not sold till someone bought it in 2017 used and sold it, will what you said above apply? Cos technically the car is 10 years old but it actually use is like 4 years
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Newboss(m): 4:12pm On Sep 24, 2021
ShishaPipe:
Run a VIN check. Saved me from buying in Nigeria something picked up from a a scrap yard in US. Some car dealers are evil.

Scrapyard and so? The car was good enough to attract you, abi? Did you or your mechanic notice any fault?

Abeg go and buy brand new if you dey fear car problems. Used cars are for real men who can handle spanner

1 Like

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Hassanmaye(m): 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
Aufbauh:
Yeah, with VIN check on your system you can know the past history of the car. This include the state of the car when it was manufactured.

The car's vehicle identification number (VIN) is the identifying code for a SPECIFIC automobile. The VIN serves as the car's fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN.
A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle.
A VIN displays the car's unique features, specifications and manufacturer.
The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.
Wow thank you
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Fogman(m): 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
AntiWailer:

Take it from me, if a dealer paint a car, RUNNNNNNNNN

No serious dealer will paint blemish or scratch from a car. That is the usual lie they like to lie.

I sell cars and i have just used one of my sold car to buttress my point that not all painted cars are accidented. Accusations like yours is the reason i advertise all my vehicles with US pictures.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by bongolistik(m): 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
femi4:
car fax tinz, just post the VIN on any of those car history website for checks. They will tell you the date with pictures
VIN only works in abroad cos they keep and file the vehicle history.. But not in Nigeria. You can't ascertain anything with VIN for cars used in Nigeria.. The VIN history shows only when the car was abroad
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by adonainana: 4:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
zikter:
But I want to ask, if a car was manufactured in 2013 but not sold till someone bought it in 2017 used and sold it, will what you said above apply? Cos technically the car is 10 years old but it actually use is like 4 years

Which car have you seen was manufactured in a certain year and was not sold until 4 years later and was left deliberately in Toyota show room or Honda show room

Or who have you seen would buy a brand new car today and leave it untouched for 4 years before driving it.

All the tokunbo nonsense coming into Nigeria is not any thing 3 months used or 4 months used junk car agents in nigeria are going around about.

A car made in 2013 would have had more than 1 if not 3 or 4 owners and it has been driven for years and years, the only saving grace is the roads where it was driven which are developed countries roads so when you see it after 10 years it looks like a human being drove it.

This does not mean when the 2013 car gets to Nigeria it is costing the price the brand new one didnt even cosst 10 years ago in dollars when it came out.

Omo the math is not adding up

1 Like

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by nafisu: 4:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
check for things like painting, dashboard, under the car and bumper. if worked on you will notice the difference
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by AntiWailer: 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
Fogman:

I sell cars and i have just used one of my sold car to buttress my point that not all painted cars are accidented. Accusations like yours is the reason i advertise all my vehicle with US pictures.

I av bought a couple too and looked for a couple.

While I said a lot. u might be one of the 1%

I know u will rather not paint at all than explaining to buyers what the paint is hiding..
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by HenryThegreat1(m): 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
Following
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by zikter(m): 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
adonainana:

Which car have you seen was manufactured in a certain year and was not sold until 4 years later and was left deliberately in Toyota show room or Honda show room

Or who have you seen would buy a brand new car today and leave it untouched for 4 years before driving it.

All the tokunbo nonsense coming into Nigeria is not any thing 3 months used or 4 months used junk car agents in nigeria are going around about.

A car made in 2013 would have had more than 1 if not 3 or 4 owners and it has been driven for years and years, the only saving grace is the roads where it was driven which are developed countries roads so when you see it after 10 years it looks like a human being drove it.

This does not mean when the 2013 car gets to Nigeria it is costing the price the brand new one didnt even cosst 10 years ago in dollars when it came out.

Omo the math is not adding up
okay, cars don't spend long periods on shelf as I thought then.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Luckydubby7(m): 4:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
To learn
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Fogman(m): 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2021
AntiWailer:

I av bought a couple too and looked for a couple.

While I said a lot. u might be one of the 1%

I know u will rather not paint at all than explaining to buyers what the paint is hiding..

smiley smiley smiley Not even 20%
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by femi4: 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
bongolistik:
VIN only works in abroad cos they keep and file the vehicle history.. But not in Nigeria. You can't ascertain anything with VIN for cars used in Nigeria.. The VIN history shows only when the car was abroad
The topic didn't specify
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by donhils: 4:35pm On Sep 24, 2021
Aufbauh:
Yeah, with VIN check on your system you can know the past history of the car. This include the state of the car when it was manufactured.

The car's vehicle identification number (VIN) is the identifying code for a SPECIFIC automobile. The VIN serves as the car's fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN.
A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle.
The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.
So VIN can tell if a car had accident in the past?
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Lavisha(f): 4:43pm On Sep 24, 2021
Chidexter:
Person say backbone. For car? Lmao

Yes, he's right.

The backbone, chassis, framework, platform etc. will be deformed or broken.

No can fix ALL in an Accident vehicle cos there are some things that cannot be fixed else you abuse the car.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Aufbauh(m): 4:43pm On Sep 24, 2021
donhils:

So VIN can tell if a car had accident in the past?

VIN can tell you the original state of the car as manufactured. So by implications if there's a problem along the line you can detect having prior knowledge of it original state.

However the information you can get through VIN check is limited to major mechanical and structural changes.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2021
Newboss:

Scrapyard and so? The car was good enough to attract you, abi? Did you or your mechanic notice any fault?

Abeg go and buy brand new if you dey fear car problems. Used cars are for real men who can handle spanner

Are you always stupid like this or is it just on Fridays?
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by klas(m): 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2021
Aufbauh:

VIN can tell you the original state of the car as manufactured. So by implications if there's a problem along the line you can detect having prior knowledge of it original state.

However the information you can get through VIN check is limited to major mechanical and structural changes.

With due respect, you don’t appear to know how vin is used in car history
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Chidexter(m): 5:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
Lavisha:

Yes, he's right.

The backbone, chassis, framework, platform etc. will be deformed or broken.

No can fix ALL in an Accident vehicle cos there are some things that cannot be fixed else you abuse the car.

Oh alright, thanks
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Reference(m): 5:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
It all depends on the degree of severity of the accident.
So by accident I suppose any incident or contact that will require the activation of the SRS and deployment of the airbag(s).
And that is where to start from, a close inspection of all the airbag panels to see if they have been changed or reattached.

As for the exterior, these days body work is absolute and panels are often replaced whole instead of beaten back or filled so it may not appear evident except to the very experienced eye.

I however think the best way to determine the quality of a vehicle or the depth of repairs/modifications is the age old, proven test drive. If the vendor is willing to let you stress test it at all you will certainly discover life after accident in its handling particularly if you are familiar with that model. Gun the engine over a short stretch, hit the brakes hard and apply steering. All the surgery will cry out.

PS. This applies to all vehicles including the Nigerian commissioned ones that do not have credible records. Test drive na sure banker.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by ehinmowo: 5:18pm On Sep 24, 2021
Aufbauh:

D way I dey laugh at you. VIN ko VAN ni. VIN is for imported vehicles where rules and regulations work. Come and use VIN to check vehicle accident history in Naija make I see. Who will record thst his vehicle has an accident in Nigeria? How many Naija drivers know abt VIN?
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by bjtinz: 5:20pm On Sep 24, 2021
People just shouting VIN.

From what I understand, a VIN check up will only show MAJOR STRUCTURAL damage, particularly those that had insurance claims and of course a police report.

For minor damages (yes in the US) which I decide to repair on my own, VIN won't tell you anything.

All the same it's still very useful.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by freshkash(m): 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2021
Let's see the picture of the car they upgraded at ladikpo.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by YOUNGELDER1(m): 5:33pm On Sep 24, 2021
Cosplay comes to mind
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by iconnecta(m): 5:37pm On Sep 24, 2021
hit d body, if the sound does not sound like a metal,
it means their was portty and it's accidented.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:12pm On Sep 24, 2021
VIN check, VIN check... does it really work in Nigeria? (records)
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Neinobrown: 6:12pm On Sep 24, 2021
It depends on the part of the country that it was fixed
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
DaRuud:
Here
Impressive, very very
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
Kingdemu:
Ever hers of VIN check?
Do this VIN check really work in Nigeria, I meant for record sake. (Not everyone is with auto insurance and all that)
femi4:
car fax tinz, just post the VIN on any of those car history website for checks. They will tell you the date with pictures
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:21pm On Sep 24, 2021
chronique:

Sure. Very easy for an auto dealer. Even without a vin check, I can tell if it's had impact before by examining the car closely.
Wow, I saw a worked up car. It looked clean and all that but, the impact it had B4 (trashy body and some parts functioning).
highchief1:
yes I can.no matter how it was fixed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 9 Best Family Cars Of 2019 / How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase / Tragedy As Container Fell On 2 Vehicles In Ikorodu,4 Killed,Others Injured(Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.