Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,582 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? (30423 Views)

How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? / Private Car Owners Do Not Need Roadworthiness Issued By VIO - Appeal Court / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Drizzy5001(m): 6:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
Check the heart and ear of the car.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by bamirotola: 6:49pm On Sep 24, 2021
Burgerlomo:

That's if the vehicle owner reported the accident to the insurance company, but if the owner decided to repair the vehicle out of pocket without involving the insurance, then the VIN will not tell you anything about the accident.

I see.. Thnk you
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Sprumbaba: 6:56pm On Sep 24, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
A heavily dented car handled by veterans, the spray, parts, repairs and fixes done very well and look as good as new.

Just as the topic says; drivers, car owners, buyers and experts, can you tell if a car had accident in the past? (How?)

I will know but on a closer inspection.

I will knock around the body of the car
Check for overspray
Gaps
Paint job
Frames
New parts

I have fixed and sold the worst cars even the ones with a Certificate of Destruction.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Stephenmoka4(m): 7:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
Sprumbaba:

I will know but on a closer inspection.

I will knock around the body of the car
Check for overspray
Gaps
Paint job
Frames
New parts

I have fixed and sold the worst cars even the ones with a Certificate of Destruction.

I believe your handwork made it look good as a regular car. (Bolded)

I also saw a car show (TV), the car looked awesome like awesome, amateur won't know (I won't know either).
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Burgerlomo: 7:12pm On Sep 24, 2021
bamirotola:

I see.. Thnk you

You welcome! Another great way to know is to have the panel beaters or the body shop inspect the vehicle for any bodywork and repainting done to the vehicle.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Burgerlomo: 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2021
ithink7:
People talk about VIN, Nigeria doesn’t record vehicle history. So if the the accident happened in Nigeria, there’s no record.
My time tested street formula, Pay very close attention to the body work.
Different shades of paint color in areas of first impact like front, bonnet, doors, etc
Uneven surfaces
Rough edges
Light reflection from body painting. If it’s not shiny and smooth, it’s been worked on.

Even in western countries, the VIN will not show you anything if the owner of the vehicle decided not to report the accident to the insurance company because of the negative it will have on the owner's insurance policy which will later results in high coverage payment and decided to repair the vehicle out of his or her pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by HottieCoach(f): 8:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
Depends on the gravity of impact,
If job is well done, you can not tell if it has been fixed.

https://www.facebook.com/MechanicJackLee/videos/522917435544691/
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Bobxin: 9:33pm On Sep 24, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
Do this VIN check really work in Nigeria, I meant for record sake. (Not everyone is with auto insurance and all that)

If the car had the accident in Nigeria, the VIN would not tell you that info.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by defcon4: 9:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
Chidexter:
Person say backbone. For car? Lmao

Probably means chassis
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Muzikluva(m): 9:50pm On Sep 24, 2021
adonainana:
it depends on the extent of the accidental damage and the expertise of the automobile panel technician that worked on the body.

In real sense the factory body material is not so much different from what local panel beaters use, but remember in the factory, the body of a car is built in a mechanised fashion, and in built like a skeleton, so its easier to build a house from scratch than to patch it when it has been bulldozed.

So technically nothing wrong with an accident car, so far it has been repaired and fixed properly

But trust Nigerians, First body this First body that,

a used Toyota Camry car that was produced in 2013 , almost 10 years ago now almost sells for almost $10,0000 dollars (5,500,000 million naira )

Imagine a used car costs 5.5 million naira, and the used car is 10 years old

Are you telling me for the last 10 years, the owners who have used it parked it in the garage and were babysitting it like a baby for 10 years before it found itsway to Nigeria and be sold like brand new again

Kai

God bless you for this comment! Nigerians are always overdoing things. First body is a ringtone for them. I went to check a foreign used 2007 RAV4 today and then while running a VIN check, I realized it is 14years old and it is being sold for 3.7m. Someone has used that car for 14years before it got to Nigeria last month!
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by seanjy4konji: 10:54pm On Sep 24, 2021
Weting concern Hushpuppi with accident car....
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Sprumbaba: 12:11am On Sep 25, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
I believe your handwork made it look good as a regular car. (Bolded)

I also saw a car show (TV), the car looked awesome like awesome, amateur won't know (I won't know either).

We have some very very good Mexican body shops. They can join 1/4, even 1/2 of the car together.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Poleski: 2:32am On Sep 25, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
A heavily dented car handled by veterans, the spray, parts, repairs and fixes done very well and look as good as new.

Just as the topic says; drivers, car owners, buyers and experts, can you tell if a car had accident in the past? (How?)

You won't know if the car is well repaired like the one in the pics. The VIN can be manipulated.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by InvertedHammer: 2:41am On Sep 25, 2021
/
Visual inspection is enough to tell the stories if you know what to look for. Not all accidents are captured in the VIN check.

/
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Maxwellisaac: 4:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Niger car history no dey hard to knw nahh.. just look at the paint wey full the car body like crayon grin grin
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by computerglobal(m): 6:14am On Sep 25, 2021

Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by henrygold100: 6:19am On Sep 25, 2021
Stephenmoka4:

do you know de name of this car
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Semaj77(m): 9:21am On Sep 25, 2021
DrKlever:
That's simply what VIN check is for.

Will the record be available for cars damaged in Nigeria
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Patrick238: 9:43am On Sep 25, 2021
chical:
Righteousness 2 will come and say it is vanity

Omo leave the Righteous man to be.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by daddytime(m): 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
adonainana:

Which car have you seen was manufactured in a certain year and was not sold until 4 years later and was left deliberately in Toyota show room or Honda show room

Or who have you seen would buy a brand new car today and leave it untouched for 4 years before driving it.

All the tokunbo nonsense coming into Nigeria is not any thing 3 months used or 4 months used junk car agents in nigeria are going around about.

A car made in 2013 would have had more than 1 if not 3 or 4 owners and it has been driven for years and years, the only saving grace is the roads where it was driven which are developed countries roads so when you see it after 10 years it looks like a human being drove it.

This does not mean when the 2013 car gets to Nigeria it is costing the price the brand new one didnt even cosst 10 years ago in dollars when it came out.

Omo the math is not adding up

Been on your +44 whatsapp
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by adonainana: 10:37am On Sep 25, 2021
daddytime:

Been on your +44 whatsapp

If it’s my +447591683924 I have replied back
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by Tapout(m): 12:53pm On Sep 25, 2021
Aufbauh:

Sure, the VIN will tell you the original state of the car as manufactured. So if the car is salvage or accidental anywhere afterwards and you run your auto check analysis using the VIN it will show you what has changed in the car.
The VIN is like human biodata.

I don't think you understood his question. Go and read what he asked again.
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by daddytime(m): 5:31pm On Sep 25, 2021
adonainana:

If it’s my +447591683924 I have replied back

Thanks, for your swift and professional service.

I endorse you as legit.

My daughter confirmed receipt..
Re: Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? by NaijaCuzin: 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2022

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See How The Range Rover Has Evolved Over The Years / The 9 Best Family Cars Of 2019 / Tragedy As Container Fell On 2 Vehicles In Ikorodu,4 Killed,Others Injured(Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.