Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? (5717 Views)

If U Think U Are Intelligent Solve This Riddle / Is Examination Malpractice A Sin? / Help Your Child To Be Intelligent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mundus(m): 4:59pm On May 27, 2011
Hi, Goodevening pals I am a young guy that just finished my SSCE last yr. I am siting 4 jamb this year. For a while something have been troubling my mind. And wish you guys could help me out. I am a young student naturally endowned with intelligence by God. I am very Good in Mathematics and other science subjects. When i was in secondary sch i used to be shy and conservative especially as it is a missed school. I hardly show my presence or come out to brag about what i have upstairs. Many of my frnds adviced me to change my character and to be open, social and bold. They mocked me and made me look as if am a "jew guy". However, soon i learnt to start been social, open to people and been accomodating I began asking and answering questions in the school as well as making female frnds. But my worry began after school when i enrolled for jamb lesson in one lesson centre in town. I was quite vibrant in class, always answering questions, helping my mates solve questions and as well making numerous frnds both male and female. This made me so popular in our centre that even a student that enrolled for lesson one day is sure to know me that same day. However, despite all this one thing i never did was to brag or been arrogant. But sooner than later i began to hear numerous demoralizing comments made abt me by student. Just 2day a female student told me i was a "busy body". Some started been jealous of me. The worst part of the whole thing is that some teachers now attack me indirectly in there teaching. They make comments which makes me sometimes regret ever been brainy. One of them even said that those who think they r intelligent will surely fail jamb if care is not taking, with everybody knowing he was refering to me. Please i need to take this off my mind. It is really distracting me. What should i do? Is it bad for someone to be intelligent?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by chamber2(m): 6:20pm On May 27, 2011
My dear, you have done so well for yourself and your writing suggests you are truly intelligent.I will advise you put your mind off what people say, of course they must surely talk.Everywhere, intelligent people are seen by lesser intelligent ones with much disdain and often considered a threat.Just remain focused and concentrate on achieving your goals.

It's no sin being intelligent, people only see you as a threat.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mundus(m): 10:19pm On May 27, 2011
[quote][/quote] chambe thanks for the wonderful advice. You are one of those who never fail in life. I truely appreciate thanks
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by fd4all234(m): 12:09am On May 28, 2011
dnt think of wat they say, just cont to focus and be respectful
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by ifyalways(f): 12:59pm On May 29, 2011
Sorry ooh but u got to turn it down a notch . . .
Don't answer questions unless it's thrown directly and specifically at you by the teacher.
Don't take over the teachers position in class.it's the teachers job to teach everyone not urs.
In class,encourage and allow everyone to direct their query or question to the teacher and not you.
If you don't need the extra classes why attend?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by olaolabiy: 1:05pm On May 29, 2011
Maybe you need to know that there is a fine line between intelligence and patronizing/condescending attitude
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 1:09pm On May 29, 2011
@OP
what your peers have been saying about you might be true! I think you overhype yourself. Someone must have been deceiving you! Making you believe that you are more intelligent than you really are. The truth is, you are not that INTELLIGENT as you think(no offense).
Ask my why.
How come you spelt "mixed" as "missed"?
*don't tell me it's a mistake 'cause i aint going to fall for it*
matter of fact you remind me of an acronym in school-ITK!
Don't get me wrong i aint tryna say i am more INTELLIGENT than you with this post,but the truth has to be told!
Check your post, maybe this is where your problem is emanating from : you're elevating yourself higher than you really are.(you aint that brilliant as you and peeps around you believe ok?)
*smh*

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by ifyalways(f): 1:13pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

@OP
what your peers have been saying about you might be true! I think you overhype yourself. Someone must have been deceiving you! Making you believe that you are more intelligent than you really are. The truth is, you are not that INTELLIGENT as you think(no offense).
Ask my why.

Don't get me wrong i aint tryna say i am more INTELLIGENT than you with this post,but the truth has to be told!
Check your post, maybe this is where your problem is emanating from : you're elevating yourself higher than you really are.(you aint that brilliant as you and peeps around you believe ok?)
*smh*
@Bolded,it could actually be a typo.Besides,he said he is good at Maths and sciences . . .some of those science and statistics geeks are not too good with spelling wink

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by webmastern(m): 1:19pm On May 29, 2011
my dear, dont mix intelligence and brilliance up. They are two different things. Just like someone adviced, dont answer questions unless thrown @ u directly.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by matrixx(m): 1:20pm On May 29, 2011
Dis dude isnt as intelligent as he claims.
See ya obvious spelling errors.
Abegi!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by chamber2(m): 1:22pm On May 29, 2011

So, because he missed the spelling of that word means he is not intelligent?You must be one of those people he was referring to. kissThis guy just finished secondary school, and writes even better English than most graduates students of our higher institutions.I had no difficulty understanding what he wrote above.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Tricici(f): 1:36pm On May 29, 2011
hm. For now just focus on upcoming exams. if u are receiving indirect jealousy attacks maybe u shud keep it on the low&modest for some time. true intelligence always shines thru anyway
ur story reminds me of this super pretty girl when I was in college. She was all over the place, up&down,befriending every single being hugging, checkin up on people & stuff. meeeeen she was too much, some used to hate her. personally I.couldn't.tell if she was truly nice or was just acting cute & ish  undecided
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Bright2(m): 1:46pm On May 29, 2011
My dear,keep your head up. What ever you do in life people must talk about it wether you like it or not,so the earlier you put this into your head,the better.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Mynd44: 1:47pm On May 29, 2011
First off, there is a difference between intelligent and brilliance. Personally i think you have the latter if not you would have done what i did in jamb lesson. Most of these teachers in these lessons are University students who might be intimidated by you so just pick a seat in the back of the class, if the teacher writes any  question on the board, solve it and then start distracting the class by making jokes. They would think you are as dumb as everyone else but you still get to study and make friends.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by lonelydude: 1:53pm On May 29, 2011
@poster,

This is one of the ways the enemy steals, kills, and destroys promising young guys.
My dear friend, I 'll advise you to try as much as possible to follow the pair of advice below.

ola olabiy:

Maybe you need to know that there is a fine line between intelligence and patronizing/condescending attitude

ifyalways:

Sorry ooh but u got to turn it down a notch . . .
Don't answer questions unless it's thrown directly and specifically at you by the teacher.

Don't take over the teachers position in class.it's the teachers job to teach everyone not urs.
In class,encourage and allow everyone to direct their query or question to the teacher and not you.
If you don't need the extra classes why attend?

Remember that pride goes before destruction (Prov. 16:18) but Never allow whatever anyone does or says demoralize you. Just be modest.

Best of luck.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tellwisdom: 1:53pm On May 29, 2011
If nobody talk about you, then you are nobody, Whether na true them talk or na lie
Ma guy
Wa lai
.Tuface  M-Aiya

Upto you naw
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Wislet(f): 1:53pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

@OP
Ask my why.
*smh*
Daft comment
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 1:54pm On May 29, 2011
chamber2:

So, because he missed the spelling of that word means he is not intelligent?You must be one of those people he was referring to. kissThis guy just finished secondary school, and writes even better English than most graduates students of our higher institutions.I had no difficulty understanding what he wrote above.
Please don't misquote me! I never mentioned that the dude isn't intelligent!
I SAID HE AINT AS INTELLIGENT AS HE THINKS HE IS!!
Get it!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by chamber2(m): 1:56pm On May 29, 2011
I SAID HE AINT AS INTELLIGENT AS HE THINKS HE IS!!
Get it!

How did you find out?Are you in the same class with him?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 2:00pm On May 29, 2011
Wislet:

Daft comment
DAFT GIRL!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 2:03pm On May 29, 2011
chamber2:

How did you find out?Are you in the same class with him?
I thought you're smarter than this!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by sunej(m): 2:04pm On May 29, 2011
Just be yourself. If you pay attention to what people say, you'll never make it in life,

The road to success is not straight. There is a curve called Failure, a loop called Confusion, speed bumps called Friends, red lights called Enemies, caution lights called Family. You will have flats called Jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination, an engine called Perseverance, insurance called Faith, you will make it to a place called Success
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by scopusng(m): 2:04pm On May 29, 2011
U sabi Maths abi? Okay, 1+09= what? Tell me de answer. I dey wait.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by chamber2(m): 2:06pm On May 29, 2011
I thought you're smarter than this!

NL is gradually turning into a playground.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Abimbola29(m): 2:24pm On May 29, 2011
My friend,remember what 2face said''if nobody talks about you, then ur nobody,wherether na true or na lie'' ,so let dem go to hell
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by manneger(m): 2:35pm On May 29, 2011
My guy is nt good to teach somebody while teaching is going on, it look as if u know more than even the teacher that is teaching you, teachers and even lecturers hate this, from ur state I believe you are good, but just allow the teacher to do his or her work, believe me that's the problem you having, and with ur que u r too proud too, I wish u all d best
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Odunnu: 2:38pm On May 29, 2011
Poster: You must take Ifyalways' advice. Dont answer questions anymore exept when directed at you since answering questions is brewing hatred for you.
Learn also to speak without arrogance, above all, use these negative comments to challenge yourself to success. Those who expect you to fail are numerous,you must not let them laugh at you
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Bensonite: 2:40pm On May 29, 2011
OP,
You remind me of my secondary school days exeperience. No offense, there may be element of truth in the accusation but you need to heed to some of the advice already given by stop answering questions unless directed at you. Stop having extra teaching class with students during your lesson time. Do not sit at front seat somewhere in the middle will be fine.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by kollyp2000(m): 2:42pm On May 29, 2011
It's good for you to feel intelligent, because if you can feel, then you canbe it

But a quick advice, be modest. And prepare to learn more, Since you are still young, you have your life ahead of you. Live it wisely
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by violent(m): 2:45pm On May 29, 2011
Ten years from now, you probably won't remember their names again, why should you give a fck what they think?  you got your own life son, they've got theirs, don't live your life to make them happy if they choose to be sad and angry.

My advise?  Go on and shove the hot coals down their throat, brag about your talents, laugh at them when they cringe, you're going to be better off an more confident in the end.

mikuz:

@OP
Ask my why.
*smh*

Ask my why?  seriously?  is this the case of the frog calling the toad ugly?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by DARA1234: 2:47pm On May 29, 2011
Hi Mundus,
 I feel for you, honestly if you take the sound advice given by people like;Camber2,fd4all234, ifya always, ola olabiyi, Bright 2, Sunej, Tricia and Lonely dude [/b]you will be fine. You seem to me an intelligent guy, you have a problem and rather than acting unwisely you have come to ask for advice, [b]I SEE GREATNESS AHEAD OF YOU.[/b]However, YOUR ATTITUDE WILL DETERMINE YOUR ALTITUDE. Turn it down, don't jump to answer question unless you are asked, leave everybody else to have a go, if they don't ask you, keep quiet but answer the question in your mind.What you must do now is to [b]WORK HARDER, BECAUSE WHEN THE RESULT OF THE JAMB RESULT IS RELEASED THE FIRST RESULT EVERYBODY WILL SEEK TO KNOW IS YOURS, AND YOU KNOW HOW SHAMEFULL IT WILL BE IF YOU DON'T PASS WELL, the best way to prove your intelligence is by studying very hard, harder than every one else, use the Jamb syllabus to pattern your studies, don't base your intelligence on your mates, base it on what you are scoring in you practice test questions, [b]YOU SHOULD BE SCORING HIGHER THAN 80% IN EACH.[/b]If you have further questions post it and I am sure you have brothers and sisters here to help.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

@OP
(Ask my why).
*smh*
u are chief olodo. Read ur above post 'ask MY why'. Instead of 'ask ME why'. Pls leave d boy jor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTO- Lagos Big Girl Caught Excreting In Her Room / Help Me, My Angel Wants To Kill Herself Because Of Jamb / Why Aeroplanes Are Painted White?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.