Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? (5726 Views)

If U Think U Are Intelligent Solve This Riddle / Is Examination Malpractice A Sin? / Help Your Child To Be Intelligent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by jitolala(m): 6:22pm On May 29, 2011
My friend,do not be demoralized by unwholesome comments.You are truely brainy from your write up
but you just need to slow down abit.People would appreciate you more if you are not very loud.You said someone who resume that lesson of yours will immediately recognise you same day because you are brainy.Boy,if you are truely brainy as you are saying,then you should'nt be attending extra moral classes for jamb preparations(Mr. Endowned).Lastly,you do not correct a teacher on the board boastfully or sharply,rather you must apply tact and wisdom for you to gain the trust and respect you deserved.It actually worked for me wayback in school.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Superbrain(m): 6:26pm On May 29, 2011
@ OP, I feel your pain. Same thing happened when I was in secondary school. The truth is that you would have more haters than people who truly admire your intelligence. Just ignore the talks but i won't advise you neglect the classes. Just don't answer questions except they are thrown directly at you and never contend with a teacher. Help only those that ask for your help and never try to make a show of your intelligence just because you feel challenged by another person.

I survived it back then by ignoring them and focusing on developing myself. Got into the university and made sure I applied it to my studies. It paid off. Now, I know I'm intelligent and I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks though I know when to apply intelligence and when to "mope". And I "mope" with purpose. wink

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 29, 2011
yes it is! its even worse to be intelligent and know it!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by cvibe: 6:47pm On May 29, 2011
@Poster,

Be diligent with what you are doing and don't lose focus, because Harvard will soon come looking for you. That's where most intelligent people end up.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by LagosBoi2(m): 7:09pm On May 29, 2011
Enemy is everywhere. You are the best of your peers as i am the best of mine, those people are called bad belle.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tpia5: 7:14pm On May 29, 2011
tone it down a notch @ poster.

Human beings generally despise intelligence

true, but at the same time intelligent people can be book smart and life foolish.

it's possible the op has inadverdently offended someone without knowing it.

i'd say try to keep a low profile and stop helping people so much.

and dont try to be a friend to everybody, or expect everyone to like you because of your good intentions.

it simply doesnt work that way.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tpia5: 7:15pm On May 29, 2011
also, face your studies in the meantime and get to where you want to be without worrying about others too much. Everybody has different "head" (ori) as they say in yorubaland.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by vislabraye(m): 7:37pm On May 29, 2011
It is great to be intelligent, but it's also better for some one else to blow your trumpet. Usually, teachers love intelligent students.
I remembered when I was in secondary school, intelligent students usually got recognition and praises. Teachers would talk to other students, " can't you be like so so and so ". The students would have babes and guys flocking around, seeking their approval.

I don't know how your case might be, may be the world has change. If you perceive that people are envious of you, you may have keep a low profile and keep humble. That won't take away from your intelligence. Some people may be intimidated but you have to remain likeable. There are different strokes for different folks.
They might be genuinely jealous of you, if that is the case, there's nothing you can do about it than to be who u are.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Konnekt(m): 7:43pm On May 29, 2011
@Bolded,it could actually be a typo.Besides,he said he is good at Maths and sciences . . .some of those science and statistics geeks are not too good with spelling

Yes you are right. Though some science guys are equally good at English. I wish that young man (Poster) good luck any way.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tpia5: 7:45pm On May 29, 2011
people who are good at maths and science arent necessarily good with english.

even indians and asians can have the same problem.

i assume the poster is sure of what he says since you cant fake or imagine being good in the courses he mentioned, all things being equal.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by femmy2010(m): 8:10pm On May 29, 2011
That is life,free your mind and study harder.

Best of luck.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by miccodb(m): 9:14pm On May 29, 2011
lmao!!! this is extremely hilarious. an advice forum turned out to be fuji house of commotion. the subject of the post already suggests arrogance. if he comes pole postion in class there definitely is someone else who comes 2nd so he couldnt be the only intelligent person. i just think your are letting your seemingly brilliant nature get the better of you. my advice to you is to keep your head down. no matter how brilliant you are people exist who are more brilliant. guy calm down and try pass your english language. if you get all your papers minus english language; youve got nothing.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nuellie(f): 9:35pm On May 29, 2011
i dont belive that you should lay low. i face that problem a lot too. just make sure that you are not getting distracted but dont stop asking questions and being yourself. afterall, you cant please everybody
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by deniyor: 9:57pm On May 29, 2011
OP
You need to work better on your social skills.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by sconsults: 9:58pm On May 29, 2011
Mu mu ppl,ulna think say ulna intelligent.average iq for our country no 62.Una de here de argue.me I know say I be olodo and I no get common sense.me I be confirmed mugu and I no de hide am.if no be fool we all of us be,how we go allow all these corruption while we suffer.if no be foolishness how ppl go call themselves boko haram say education na sin,how educated tribe like ibos go allow bakassi exist de terrorize people.if no be senselessness why nobody get sense enough to provide light for una country.dat mumu wey ask this question na niccompul and I know Im type.because Im manage sabi write for Internet.see Im mouth grin .Im for go meet psychiatrist.na Im get nairaland. :-XMake nobody disturb me today jare make I de chop my garri de suffer for this economic crisis weaned disturb me oooooh
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by manny4life(m): 10:07pm On May 29, 2011
The holy bible said if you know you have no sin in you, cast the first stone. All those criticizing him should beat it. I’m sure when we begin to analyze your own post and know if it conforms to the rules and standards of English reasoning, a whole lot will fail.

Brothers leave them alone; however, there is a difference between smart and intelligent. From your scenarios you’re e really a smart kid, but I really don’t know about intelligence. Intelligence encompass more than just your books, it involves critical thinking and outside the box. There are a few people who are book smart but lack intelligence
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Ihengote: 10:46pm On May 29, 2011
, dear, is not a sin to be intelligent.
just abide by the advice below

i don't believe that you should lay low. i face that problem a lot too. just make sure that you are not getting distracted but don't stop asking questions and being yourself. afterall, you cant please everybody
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tim007: 11:27pm On May 29, 2011
dis is not a problem my friend I don't know why u worry urself over nothing. it's normal for people to behave dat way when they see a good thinks manifesting. through you so put itself in order and continue way ever it is u re doing
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mamagee3(f): 11:56pm On May 29, 2011
No, it's not. . .reetard!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by swiftycool(m): 12:10am On May 30, 2011
@op, its unfortunate that youre treated badly, however though you may be truly brilliant in sciences, your teacher might be right about your failing soon. English is a perequisite to getting admission into unis these days both home & abroad and if you cant tell the difference between using 'been' instead of 'being' in a sentence, or to use a plural verb for a singular subject and vice versa, also the 'missed' error which totally changed the meaning of your sentence amongst other errors. u MIGHT fall short.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 12:35am On May 30, 2011
funi post. Evn funnier comments
3 tins;
i wonder wt town u r in, bt d errors in ur post r jus too much 4 an 'intelignt' dude.it doesnt mean u dnt pass ur exams,it just means u r nt as intellignt as u claim 2 b & ur mastery of english is saddenin crossmatchin it wif ur selfacclaimed inteligenc
2ndly,i am nt suprised dt u av beefrats & haters. For sum1 dt posts tins wit headings like ''is it a sin to b intelligent''. Dt shows conceit on ur part. Work on dt for ur own good
also,if u r as good as u say, then u shld kno dt u shld av detractors bt u shldnt b losin sleep over tins like dis dt dnt count. U cn siphon d energy u r usin to worry into ur books & gt beta grades

bfor u diss,jus kno i jus graduated frm med skool in one our premier unis in naija. So i tink i av a good idea of wt bein intelignt is
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by nihinlade(m): 1:01am On May 30, 2011
@poster,
if u are really brilliant, people will findout themselves and like u. The truth is u are not a brilliant guy to me. It showed in ur post. Did u make ur english in WAEC? Because if i were to give u a mark for the write up of ur post, it certainly will be F9. I am sorry but d truth is u made too many mistakes in the above write up.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by vislabraye(m): 3:19am On May 30, 2011
My friend,remember what 2face said''if nobody talks about you, then your nobody,wherether na true or na lie'' ,so let dem go to hell

2face also talk say, "some people acting like they know it all grin grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by chamber2(m): 7:06am On May 30, 2011
if u are really brilliant, people will findout themselves and like u. The truth is u are not a brilliant guy to me. It showed in your post. Did u make your english in WAEC? Because if i were to give u a mark for the write up of your post, it certainly will be F9. I am sorry but d truth is u made too many mistakes in the above write up.

Stop this senseless statement.The guy needs your advise and encouragement, and not baseless criticisms.When are we going to change in this country?A young lad came here to seek advise on how to handle a difficult situation and all you can do was only to disprove his claim of being intelligent.Are you any better?If he knew it all he wouldn't have enrolled in a tutorial class or even sought for advise on NL.Does good knowledge of English language translate to being intelligent if i may ask?How many Chinese, Japanese etc inventors and Mathematicians can speak and write in English language? If you want to correct the guy and advise him to improve on his English language skills, I think you can still do that without the ''Pull him down'' mentality.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by temmyplayboy(m): 7:48am On May 30, 2011
My Dear,that is life 4 u,just keep your hands up, javascript:void(0);
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Donmeca(m): 10:05am On May 30, 2011
I won't patronise u brother. It is not a sin to be intelligent but it is a very big sin to show off ur intelligence. I say this cos I am a victim of flaunting IQs. I have always been a teacher's delight all through my primary and secondary years but that was fun then. I did not even start showing off mine early. . .I only started in my first year in d university (and I had nothing else. . .no cash, no clothes, no attractive face and thus no inner connection with intimidated and outdated lecturers). I wud always sit back and "teach" other students as soon as d lecturers left d class. I corrected and argued with d lecturers. . .in fact, there was this 2nd year inorganic chemistry course that I was soooo into that in a class of about 500 students (a combined course) I wud stand up and practically lecture and intimidate the new lecturer. What was the result? D students wud understand my concept better and applaud me even when the poor woman (who loved me) was still standing on the podium. TERRIBLE! As soon as she left, a sea of confused sycophants wud flow towards my desk in that big hall for extra morals (my girlfriend would be beaming with smiles. . .my "intelligence" also attracted d most beautiful chicks within Natural Sciences and I stupidly fell for one in my own class!). A lot of OO students (kegites and cultists alike) wud want to be my friends during exams and I had this permanent handbag of a GF plus her group of friends to "carry along". I had "fame" brother but little or no regard. They sang my praises but I never realised they were killing my dream until we came back from IT.

How did I get to know? some lecturers gave me Cs in some "A" courses and gave my course rep (who tagged along me like a bug) A's. The worst was the Physical Chemistry man who, story had it that he had his doctorate abroad but could not defend his thesis. . .he vented his anger on students and I had a fair share. Again, when it was time to get project supervisors, no lecturer rushed for me as they did for about two other intelligent guys plus my course rep. . .now, there is fire on d mountain. What did my ITK do for me? It cost me 1st class (and we had more than 3 1st class graduates. . .some approximated!) I came a close 4th in d class and I wept.

So brother, be in the background and u won't regret it. . .show off and get female and OO distractions. This will definitely make lose points in exams and that is the only way intelligence without wisdom can hurt

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by ekundayok: 10:19am On May 30, 2011
@poster, u may be intelligent as u claim,but intelligent is nothing if one does nt apply wisdom, ''sometimes the mighty are falling'',so take it easy, and hope for the best,
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by AjanleKoko: 1:06pm On May 30, 2011
Human nature is funny.
@OP, you don't need to be concerned about people or what they feel about you. In fact, people generally adore arrogant and boastful people, and prize braggadocio over reticence these days.

What I'd advise is, don't concern yourself too much about people, or what they think about you. At the same time, don't be too 'in their face', but you can show your confidence when required, with a little swagger even. Remember, only when required. Other times just mind your own, and keep it zipped.

You can only win true friends by being yourself, and yourself alone.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mundus(m): 1:11pm On May 30, 2011
It was shakepeare who opined "how sharper than a serpents tooth is it to have a thankless child, hence I wish to thank all nairalanders who in one way or the other adviced,critiziced,cajoled,praised and above all the kind wishes.You may not know how well u have changed my life henceforth. My sincere appreciation goes to the wonderful admin. You are the best. Nevertheless I wish to apologize for my careless spellings in my initial post. I was because I was typing frm my phone. Once more accept my ap
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by bossinie: 1:15pm On May 30, 2011
@POSTER
First, i believe there should be some level of moderation in whatever one does in life,have no doubt that you are intelligent and open minded otherwise this post will not have emanated in the first instance.Secondly, as an intelligent young-man you cannot be as sociable as you have grown to become and not be seen by some of your peers as 'trying to show-off' possibly out of perceived threat,right there is where you have to apply the brakes a little.Like someone has advised do not answer any question except directed to you by either your teacher or friend,this will greatly reduce unwarranted interference by those who dis-like you.Lastly, do not allow anything or anyone lower your self-esteem,keep your head up always and never allow your academic performance to drop make sure you keep improving.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by freepeople: 5:51pm On May 30, 2011
You did well!
I suggest that you don"t answer questions in the class except when you are directly asked to answer the question.
I used to have the same problem as you do. Even if you fail JAMB, don't give up or be demoralized. I failed JAMB four times
before I crossed the cut off mark to study medicine and surgery in my fifth attempt.
I will also advise you to identify your very brilliant teacher's and ask them question after the lecture. Except they permit you to
ask them in the class. It can be embarrassing to a teacher to be messed up in front of the O'level students. Your ego will be bruised.
Mind you that you might be more brilliant than your teachers. Displaying of your brilliance can be interpreted as arrogance by your
teachers and your fellow students. Stay low in the class. Let your score speak for you.
Make friends with equally intelligent students. Review your core JAMB subjects with them. Don't run away
if you encounter difficult problems. Solve all of them! with your friends. I can assure you that you can never fail JAMB.
Pondering on what your teacher said can be counterproductive. Don't programme your mind to fail. If you are psychologically defeated. I bet tjhat you are 90% defeated. Study hard & smart and believe in affirmation that you will get a very high score.
Let what your teacher and detractors said motivate you to pass.
It is well my good friends. Come back here to tell us how it went after the exam. God be with you and you will pass.
Congrats in advance,
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Revolva(m): 6:09pm On May 30, 2011
Men na so e dey be me also, some blame what they cant conquer times boy, people hate what they cannot understand blame what they cannot conquer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Me, My Angel Wants To Kill Herself Because Of Jamb / Photo:what Does It Mean When Calculator Write This? / Lautech University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.