Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,367 members, 7,815,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? (5724 Views)

If U Think U Are Intelligent Solve This Riddle / Is Examination Malpractice A Sin? / Help Your Child To Be Intelligent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by ifelekan1(m): 2:51pm On May 29, 2011
Since u are such an intelligent person, my advice for u is to quit the tutorial class, get another one if you know you cant be serious without going to one. Or betterstill neglect peoples say about you and change your behaviour, become calm, easy-going and attend to situations you are being called to.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 3:20pm On May 29, 2011
valacious:

u are chief olodo. Read your above post 'ask MY why'. Instead of 'ask ME why'. Pls leave d boy jor.
And you're the chief mumu!!
DID I TELL YOU I AM MORE INTELLIGENT THAN HE IS?
Can't i advice someone who's more intelligent than i am?
There's also a thin line between knowledge and wisdom!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Wislet(f): 3:27pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

And you're the chief mumu!!
DID I TELL YOU I AM MORE INTELLIGENT THAN HE IS?
Can't i advice someone who's more intelligent than i am?
There's also a thin line between knowledge and wisdom!
Since u know u're not more intelligent, next time don't point accusing finger at someone's mistake when u're not better.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 3:37pm On May 29, 2011
violent:

Ten years from now, you probably won't remember their names again, why should you give a fck what they think?  you got your own life son, they've got theirs, don't live your life to make them happy if they choose to be sad and angry.

My advise?  Go on and shove the hot coals down their throat, brag about your talents, laugh at them when they cringe, you're going to be better off an more confident in the end.

Ask my why?  seriously?  is this the case of the frog calling the toad ugly?

WTF??
Abeg i never said i am intelligent o! Infact i was the worst student in my class,back in the days!
But that doesn't mean i aint clever enough to give a wise advice here ok?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 29, 2011
My dear, I understand you completely. I faced the same challenges many years ago. . .before I got introduced to Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power - a book that truly changed my life.

Now listen (abi na read, lol): Human beings generally despise intelligence; the thought that another person is more brilliant than oneself is truly unbearable to most. People of the world are generally more willing to surrender to superior wealth or position/status, rather than to intelligence. It is even worse when the intelligent individual is perceived to shove his/her intelligence in others' faces - in which case such a person is perceived as an 'ITK' (I'm sure you know what that means). Intelligence is only appreciated (grudgingly perhaps) if accompanied by wealth and social desirability. If you have the (mis)fortune of being the brightest kid in class and yet you are not among the richest/cutest/socially desireable kids there - then your intelligence would be a great nuisance and irritant to the other less-intelligent and (consequently) envious students (and even teachers), who would be appalled that you have the audacity to be show off as Mr. Intelligent "ontop nothing". This is not a phenomenon that exists only in a school environment; it exists everywhere - even in offices and organizational settings where it is considered a grievous social sin to outshine others with your towering intelligence.

Thanks to the venerable Mr. Robert Greene, here is the solution: Never seem too Perfect. Learn to dim your natural bright colours. Stoop to conquer. In practical terms, learn to sometimes feign ignorance of solutions or answers to certain questions. Deliberately seek answers or 'help' from other students. Confess your occasional 'olodoness' in some subject areas and seek your teachers/co-students' assistance. Learn the delicate art of 'coopetition' with your fellow students where you would collaborate/cooperate with them by learning from each other as basis for further academic competition with them. These things would not be easy - considering that your over-flowing knowledge might sometimes lead you to too much 'bebeto' which is bad for business, trust me. These strategies require great artifice, scheming, pretence and self-control. The key is to learn how to act; how to seem 'normal'; how to appear humble (even hinting that whatever you know is unknown to you, sort of accidental); and most important , how to demonstrate that your intelligence is 'normal' and far less than those of your teachers (NEVER outshine the Master).

With time you would find that the world is a wicked, wicked, counter-intuitive place. The most intelligent people never get favoured or appointed into positions of power and privilege. The concept of EQ (Emotional Intelligence, goggle it!) is FAR more important than IQ in the real world. Too many Einsteins (with extraordinary IQs) beg for bread everywhere while too many 'dunces' (with sufficient EQs) hold positions of wealth and power. That's the irony of life. You only stand at an advantageous position if your IQ is high, and your EQ equally so. Infact, I dare say that you are more likely to climb theladder of success in life with a low IQ and high EQ - as opposed to the other way round. It's cruel and unjustifiable, but true nonetheless.

Get to work, my young friend. The world is yours.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by ceewaiyho(m): 3:45pm On May 29, 2011
My brother, this is one of those issues in this life that'll keep rearing its ugly self to challenge you. Just remember that the lessons you learn from this siyuation will help you greatly in this life. Listen to good advice they'll motivate you. I'll further advice that you honestly examine yourself, cos there may be certain truth from your critics that can equally contribute possitively to your personal developemnt. Dont feel infiriour, keep uor head up, take the messages your crititcs are sending if they make sense (not minding the manner with which they are presented) and those from your well wishers.
Work even harder now to improve on your deficiences, to satisfy the expectations of your friends and welwishers and prove your critics wrong. But remember always not set standards or targets on the basis of those around you, the world is a bigger and mor challenging, dont be a local "CHAMP". wink
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 29, 2011
@mundus, it is not a sin to be intelligent. I think you might have blown ur cover or put up an ITK attitude. A loaded vessel doesn't make as much noise as an empty vessel, so don't show urself but remain focused. U have UTME and post UTME to write so concentrate & don't be over-confident. Keep working hard & those who yab u'll be the same persons dat will praise u in the future. Cheers. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by francisj(m): 3:57pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

what your peers have been saying about you might be true! I think you overhype yourself. Someone must have been deceiving you!
Ask my why.How come you spelt "mixed" as "missed"?
*don't tell me it's a mistake 'cause i aint going to fall for it*

imagine this !!,these are the the calibre of people around us that don't want to see anything extra-ordinary.
E B LIKE SAY , NA YOU PRODUCE ENGLISH LANGUAGE sote your dey correct den 'someone dey correct u' join, NONSENSE
@ poster

Just b ursef , People have inborn selfishness and jealousy's especially when it comes to something unusual .
They can't imagine a young genus doing what they have never dream of  ,when they were kid /doing what they can never do !!! .Just put your head straight and be more prayerful as you face your studies ,because your might not know to what extend this might reach,
Here is my story, I am not a guru, but I have experienced dislike and name calling from guys / friends (while i was in secondary school)  just because I am good looking  / captain of the basket ball team. In my neighbourhood, then , My friends never trusted me with their sisters , girlfriends , cos they fear the girls might fall for me (infact at time , they said it to my face, no carry this girl ooh),The magic (what make the girls fall for me ) is something ,I can never explain even now that I am in my early thirties.I simply avoid women in as much as I can until I meet my fiance.
I am only trying to let you know that things like namecalling,selfishness,envies  are part of  human societal life and people give name to things they do comprehend, so don't allow it to border you,or else you might start deviating from your goal/dream in life.
If it will be possible ,I will advice your to change your lesson center,besides UME is in three weeks , create a enough time for self revision.Wish you the best and dont forget 9ja need people like you.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by SD2003: 4:05pm On May 29, 2011
Boy,
If you think you are too intelligent to be there, stop attending the classes. I did it when i wanted to write jamb. In jamb class there those who are preparing to write maths but they don't know that when a positive number crosses equality signs it become negative AND there those who wants to write chemistry but they don't know the components of a nucleus of an atom. If you are an intelligent science students as you claim how can you be comfortable receiving the same lesson with these people. I don't know what is happening now, during our days pple like you will be in the library trying to solve all the unsolvable jamb questions with pple of same IQ and it was quite challenging and exciting.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 4:06pm On May 29, 2011
Wislet:

Since u know u're not more intelligent, next time don't point accusing finger at someone's mistake when u're not better.
what's your problem? Can't you get it?
So because he's better than i am(intellectually), i can't advise him?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 4:09pm On May 29, 2011
Wislet:

what's your problem? Can't you get it?
So because he's better than i am(intellectually), i can't advise him?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by olu77(m): 4:13pm On May 29, 2011
Young man, develop a learning spirit, learn to be humble even if you know better than your teachers try as much as you can to always transfer the credit to them. Give genuine complements, make other people feel good about themselves. Listen all the time, rarely talk. There are still a lot more to learn.

To be sincere with you, the fastest way to kill whatever intelligence you think you possess at the moment is to flaunt it. As far as i am concern intelligence without common sense or wisdom will always get you into trouble. In other words be intelligent but let people figure it out in your humility not by being restless and trying to be in charge.

I hope my advise and those of others would help but pls feel free to discard mine without taking any offense if you don't find it useful.

Character is higher than intellect.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by naijangel7(f): 4:24pm On May 29, 2011
Don't pay any attention to the negative criticism and snide remarks from your teachers and classmates. Stay focused on achieving the best result possible without trying to show off or make a point to anyone. Afterall the only thing that brought you all together is the "lesson" abi? Having said that, search yourself for any arrogant, obnoxious trait. Several comments here have already addressed the fact that you shouldn't answer questions if they aren't directed at you and go straight home after the classes end. Don't hang around teaching others anything as some of your "friends" might secretly resent your help and take it that you see yourself as smarter than them.

And please I beg you in the name of God, do something about your grammar and spelling. There were FAR TOO MANY errors in your post for someone as intelligent as you claim. All the best in your exams.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 4:27pm On May 29, 2011
francisj:

imagine this !!,these are the the calibre of people around us that don't want to see anything extra-ordinary.
E B LIKE SAY , NA YOU PRODUCE ENGLISH LANGUAGE sote your dey correct den 'someone dey correct u' join, NONSENSE
@ poster

Just b ursef , People have inborn selfishness and jealousy's especially when it comes to something unusual .
They can't imagine a young genus doing what they have never dream of  ,when they were kid /doing what they can never do !!! .Just put your head straight and be more prayerful as you face your studies ,because your might not know to what extend this might reach,
Here is my story, I am not a guru, but I have experienced dislike and name calling from guys / friends (while i was in secondary school)  just because I am good looking  / captain of the basket ball team. In my neighbourhood, then , My friends never trusted me with their sisters , girlfriends , cos they fear the girls might fall for me (infact at time , they said it to my face, no carry this girl ooh),The magic (what make the girls fall for me ) is something ,I can never explain even now that I am in my early thirties.I simply avoid women in as much as I can until I meet my fiance.
I am only trying to let you know that things like namecalling,selfishness,envies  are part of  human societal life and people give name to things they do comprehend, so don't allow it to border you,or else you might start deviating from your goal/dream in life.
If it will be possible ,I will advice your to change your lesson center,besides UME is in three weeks , create a enough time for self revision.Wish you the best and dont forget 9ja need people like you.
probably he aint ever gon' get both words mixed up again 'cause of the fact that i pointed it out!
Why then are you killing yourself over it?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 4:28pm On May 29, 2011
francisj:

@ poster

probably he aint ever gon' get both words mixed up again 'cause of the fact that i pointed it out!
Why then are you killing yourself over it?
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 4:37pm On May 29, 2011
naijangel7:

Don't pay any attention to the negative criticism and snide remarks from your teachers and classmates. Stay focused on achieving the best result possible without trying to show off or make a point to anyone. Afterall the only thing that brought you all together is the "lesson" abi? Having said that, search yourself for any arrogant, obnoxious trait. Several comments here have already addressed the fact that you shouldn't answer questions if they aren't directed at you and go straight home after the classes end. Don't hang around teaching others anything as some of your "friends" might secretly resent your help and take it that you see yourself as smarter than them.

And please I beg you in the name of God, do something about your grammar and spelling. There were FAR TOO MANY errors in your post for someone as intelligent as you claim. All the best in your exams.
THANK GOD!
i thought i was the only one who noticed!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by naijangel7(f): 4:43pm On May 29, 2011
mikuz:

THANK GOD!
i thought i was the only one who noticed!

I counted 7 bullets in the 1st three lines grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by naijangel7(f): 4:46pm On May 29, 2011
oh, 7 bullets in the first [b]2 [/b]lines i mean lol
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by frank317: 4:53pm On May 29, 2011
violent:

Ten years from now, you probably won't remember their names again, why should you give a fck what they think? you got your own life son, they've got theirs, don't live your life to make them happy if they choose to be sad and angry.

My advise? Go on and shove the hot coals down their throat, brag about your talents, laugh at them when they cringe, you're going to be better off an more confident in the end.

Ask my why? seriously? is this the case of the frog calling the toad ugly?

u just said it all. sho
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Sike(m): 4:56pm On May 29, 2011
Bullets keh!! Am Out. .lmao
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by mikuz(m): 5:00pm On May 29, 2011
naijangel7:

oh, 7 bullets in the first [b]2 [/b]lines i mean lol
lwkmd!
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by InkedNerd(f): 5:05pm On May 29, 2011
@OP: I'll tell you what to do. . . Drop your e-mail address on this thread and I'll meet me outside of nairaland. I've always said, there's nothin' sexier than an intelligent black man wink kiss

lol ok on a serious note, please just ignore those people who speak ill of you. You've bee blessed with something that in my opinion half the population on Earth seems to be lacking so don't ever allow yourself to feel that any less than what you are worth.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by InkedNerd(f): 5:07pm On May 29, 2011
Why can't I modify my original message? Mods, what's going on here? angry angry angry
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by InkedNerd(f): 5:10pm On May 29, 2011
Since I can't modify my message I'll just repost it.

OP: I'll tell you what to do. . . Drop your e-mail address on this thread and I'll meet you outside of nairaland. I've always said, there's nothin' sexier than an intelligent black man

lol ok on a serious note, please just ignore those people who speak ill of you. You've bee blessed with something that in my opinion half the population on Earth seems to be lacking so don't ever allow yourself to feel that any less than what you are worth.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by naijangel7(f): 5:11pm On May 29, 2011
Sike:

Bullets keh!! Am Out. .lmao

mikuz:

lwkmd!

Sure, here you go with the first 2 lines:

Hi, Goodevening pals I am a young guy[b] that[/b] just finished my SSCE last yr. I am[b] siting[/b] 4 jamb this year. For a while something have been troubling my[b] mind. And[/b] wish you guys could help me out. I am a young student naturally endowned with intelligence by God. I am very Good in Mathematics and
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 29, 2011
Not at all but watch not to argue with Wole Soyinka on a very good day grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by leffects(m): 5:32pm On May 29, 2011
Just be yourself, remember the one of Tuface's whch says "if nobody talks about you then you are nobody." It is because you are very important that is why they backbite. just be good.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by tomX1(m): 5:35pm On May 29, 2011
Proverbs 27:14 says:
If you shout a pleasant greeting to a friend too early in the morning, it would be counted as a curse.
If you are in the habit of jumping to peoples aid in class before they ask for help then you only belittle their intelligence and they are right to feel displeased (and call you ITK and such names).

While you might mean well, I would say your problem is largely that of social maladjustment. You said you were an introvert, and now you are making a bold effort to be outgoing. While this is commendable it also allows you make alot of social gaffes too soon. The problem is you might be too naive to realize it and no one will correct you due to your perceived ITK posturing so you will simply become  object of scorn. Tone it down.

Lastly, please work on your written English. It leaves much to be desired.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by maclatunji: 5:39pm On May 29, 2011
@poster, there is nothing wrong with being intelligent. All you have to do is to motivate yourself to becoming the best you can be, you are your own competition (at least for now). Leave your classmates to themselves, if they ask you for help, help them (I don't mean with cheating O). If they do not (let them be and don't show them the error of their ways until they are truly willing to accept advice or knowledge from you). Since you say you are so brilliant, I am expecting you to come-out with something spectacular for the world in no distant time.
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by CHIMSKY(m): 5:49pm On May 29, 2011
My brother,focus on ur exams.That is the most important thing for now.Whether u r tall or short,good or bad, people will talk.
"It is only a tree that bears fruit that people throw stones at"
Re: Is It A Sin To Be Intelligent? by hlexzy: 5:50pm On May 29, 2011
Chamber, thanks for your advice hope the boy go by it, cool Poster keep your head low get busy treating past question read ahead of class, be calm let your teachers make mistakes and dont correct them, no matter what u do in life haters always surface but plz do not pay attention. immediately you give them chance they are weapon of mass destruction they have absolutely nothing too loose but ready to destroy Seek God first and your future is bright,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Me, My Angel Wants To Kill Herself Because Of Jamb / Wokos / Cheeky School Girl Beats Up Her Principal In KZN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.