Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria (16978 Views)

Alterations And Remodeling Architect In Nigeria / Architect In Isolo Lagos / Architect In Okota Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by nurudeen181(m): 10:55am On Sep 25, 2021
emawo op yi sha... so na archi go design come over see the construction process.. na archi be expert... even estimate... kini ise civil engineer abi builder.. kini ise quantity surveryour..... this op na quack... he may be good in disigns but greed will finish him

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AK481(m): 10:56am On Sep 25, 2021
OP is a quack.

Most Time people like him draw magnificent nonsense that gives the engineer headache on the structural disadvantages and its correction.

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 25, 2021
Most professionals in Nigeria are jobless today.

Some are Civil Engineers, Architects, doctors.

How vibrant is the construction industry today ? How many new houses are springing up ?

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 25, 2021
Aufbauh:
Do you know that NIA Code of Professional conduct and ethics does not allow a qualified Architect to advertise or promotes his/her services.

So most of those who come online to advertise or solicit prospective clients for service engagement are quack or half-baked.

The Architect shall not solicit nor permit to solicit in his name, advertisements or other support towards the cost of any publication presenting his work. He should refrain from taking part in paid advertisement endorsing any materials of construction or building equipment.

You want him to go hungry ?

Clap for yourself

3 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by josite: 11:16am On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:
2.) A Considerable Amount of Time is Involved

I get it that time waits for no man. Everyone is in a haste to get things done. Be advised that designs, construction and all its links TAKE TIME!

From the design process to approval to construction, it is a time-consuming process. I mean, it involves a considerable amount of time. If you intend to hit the ground running, then you need a head start. It is not advisable to be in a haste. Take your time, be sure everything is in order.

There are variations in every stage of the design. Some because of clients’ demands, others unforeseen. The bottom line is, they happen. Clients need to be patient. However, be rest assured that the well-planned time constraints result in excellent finished work.

Very bullshit.so I give u 7 days to come out with a design and be paid 2billion naira,u will tell me u can't.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by josite: 11:19am On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:
4.) Previous Designs

I have had clients asking me to send designs of previous works (most times they specify the design they want). This may be the norm, but it is not proper. I know clients want to see how an architect thinks, which is clear in their designs. However, an architect by definition is someone who creates.

By this, I mean you should have the trust that he/she can provide whatever space plan you need. That said, seeing previous designs from architects may not help you achieve your goal. 99 times out a 100, you end up getting a new design with no input from the samples sent.

This is so because every design is unique to the client. I love spacious bedrooms, you may prefer something compact. This would not reflect in previous designs the architect may have done. Also, previous designs may not have all your requirements. Designs shouldn’t be shopped. Prepare a brief and send to your architect. That is the best way to go. 10 times out of 10, they will prepare a unique 3 bedroom bungalow design.

Some clients expect architects to have a sample design of all building types. This is a wrong notion. All architects prepare designs based on the clients’ brief. We do not prepare designs for fun, we prepare them on request.

Agreed.they create so I look for signs that u are creative.if I derp the hint ,u should perfect it.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 25, 2021
This is quite on point.

I'm sure it's not ethical to advertise in the profession sha.

All the same, just one teeny weeny advice to prospective house owners, save in advance for the kind of house you would like to build.

Telling the architect to reduce his fees is asking him to reduce his services for you.

Of all the building construction professionals, it is majorly the architect that has your back.

The engineer, the contractor, the artisans, the quantity surveyors all would look for ways to have a one-up on you, from over-inflating the prices of building materials to reducing the quality of building materials, over-inflating their service charges, extending the normal construction time especially if they are paid per hour etc.

Only the architect has your back fully.

Don't push him away by ridiculously negotiating his fees. There's a scale of fees he's entitled to abide by under the NIA code.

If the architect calls an arbitrary amount for fees for you, ask him to show you how he's calculated his fees using the sliding scale.

Eventually, you'll realize that he has even cheated himself, which means he might not be offering you full services.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 25, 2021
Aufbauh:
Do you know that NIA Code of Professional conduct and ethics does not allow a qualified Architect to advertise or promotes his/her services.

So most of those who come online to advertise or solicit prospective clients for service engagement are quack or half-baked.

The Architect shall not solicit nor permit to solicit in his name, advertisements or other support towards the cost of any publication presenting his work. He should refrain from taking part in paid advertisement endorsing any materials of construction or building equipment.

You are misinterpreting that clause. Use of social media to educate people is not equal to advertisement. Have you not seen even the established firms globally have Social pages that show off their previous projects and some write blogs that educate people on services that we provide?

It is not equal to advertisement or soliciting please. OP is on point please

7 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 25, 2021
Hmm, I think you are right. But Architects also help with Basic estimates different from Full Quantities

josephft2000:
The author of this piece is an Architect, and to the best of my knowledge he intentionally and totally sidelined other Professionals (Builders, Quantity Surveyors, Structural Engineers, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers etc) involved in the construction of Building Projects, and this is unfortunate and misleading. All the Professionals mentioned have their distinct functions. It is the responsibility of a Quantity Surveyor to prepare the estimate for a proposed building and not that of an Architect as the author made people to believe - very unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Davidganna10: 11:37am On Sep 25, 2021
Spacecube:

You are misinterpreting that clause. Use of social media to educate people is not equal to advertisement. Have you not seen even the established firms globally have Social pages that show off their previous projects and some write blogs that educate people on services that we provide?

He is correct architects according to NIA should only get work via referrals and not advert of any kind even big firms in Nigeria don't have sign post.

Most architects especially junior ones don't follow this rule because they will go hungry if they do.

This rule is peculiar to Nigeria.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by zedman1(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
I'm not bragging, but so many people in this clime do not know how much we're worth. For me, I think I've done far much more than I'm worth.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Freelane33(m): 11:54am On Sep 25, 2021
One rule in life . Never employ someone that has no worth equivalence to whatever contract you wanna give to him\her . Family /friends/stranger . If worst come to worst you will seize his/ prop . No long issue
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Kobicove(m): 11:59am On Sep 25, 2021
realtestament:
E no concern me....

See wetin Concern me here

grin
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2021
Spacecube:

Ironically it is you that don't understand my admonition or misrepresented it.
My counsel is not directly against what the Op presented on this page but previous post that tends to do so.

It is also instructive to note that NIA professional code of conduct and ethics is quite different from other foreign country as observed. This is why you can't be automatically license to practice when you change location.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by TenOverTen111(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2021
Following
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by micky77(m): 12:46pm On Sep 25, 2021
Very unfortunate. An Architect only does planning as it relates to design not necessarily construction. There are other professionals in the built environment. @OP please note and stop bringing unnecessary rivalry into the Construction Industry.
josephft2000:
The author of this piece is an Architect, and to the best of my knowledge he intentionally and totally sidelined other Professionals (Builders, Quantity Surveyors, Structural Engineers, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers etc) involved in the construction of Building Projects, and this is unfortunate and misleading. All the Professionals mentioned have their distinct functions. It is the responsibility of a Quantity Surveyor to prepare the estimate for a proposed building and not that of an Architect as the author made people to believe - very unfortunate.

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 12:51pm On Sep 25, 2021
josephft2000:

See the bolded and try to always read and understand before jumping on the comments section of any tread

Do not ask an architect to give you estimates if you do not have design drawings. If you have design drawings, be prepared to pay for the estimates. These estimates are prepared by a quantity surveyor and are not for free, except during a turnkey project. In a turnkey project, consultation fees would have been paid.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 12:58pm On Sep 25, 2021
micky77:
Very unfortunate. An Architect only does planning as it relates to design not necessarily construction. There are other professionals in the built environment. @OP please note and stop bringing unnecessary rivalry into the Construction Industry.

Am not sure you have an idea of what you're talking about.. An architect is the number one Proffesional in the built industry. Aside from carrying out building designs they also engage in construction projects and work closely with other professionals on site.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:12pm On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:

Am not sure you have an idea of what you're talking about.. An architect is the number one Proffesional in the built industry. Aside from carrying out building designs they also engage in construction projects and work closely with other professionals on site.

You are actually very incorrect and this is what leads to structural failure and lack of urban planning in Nigeria. While the architect is responsible for design, he is not a subject matter expert when it comes to structural engineering, compliance pertaining to policy and procedures, international building codes and other factors that are required in order to build a safe and sustainable structure.

Lack of knowledge on policy and procedure coupled with non-compliance is the reason it is hard to land projects outside of your country and contributes to the lack of symmetry and city planning in Nigeria. To put it simply, it is why buildings fall apart after a few years.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 1:15pm On Sep 25, 2021
1stGenAmerican:

You are actually very incorrect and this is what leads to structural failure and lack of urban planning in Nigeria. While the architect is responsible for design, he is not a subject matter expert when it comes to structural engineering, compliance pertaining to policy and procedures, international building codes and other factors that are required in order to build a safe and sustainable structure.

Lack of knowledge on policy and procedure coupled with non-compliance is the reason it is hard to land projects outside of your country and contributes to the lack of symmetry and city planning in Nigeria. To put it simply, it is why buildings fall apart after a few years.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

It seems like you didn't understand the part were i said that he works with other professionals on site... Abi u dey read upside down? undecided

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:16pm On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:

See the bolded and try to always read and understand before jumping on the comments section of any tread

Do not ask an architect to give you estimates if you do not have design drawings. If you have design drawings, be prepared to pay for the estimates. These estimates are prepared by a quantity surveyor and are not for free, except during a turnkey project. In a turnkey project, consultation fees would have been paid.

Designing and providing drawings for approval is the job of the architect everywhere else in the free world. Are you saying that a potential customer must somehow find drawings to present to you?
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2021
1stGenAmerican:

Designing and providing drawings for approval is the job of the architect everywhere else in the free world. Are you saying that a potential customer must somehow find drawings to present to you?

Have a nice day ahead. You don't any basis for this argument as you're deviating from the subject matter
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:

Have a nice day ahead. You don't any basis for this argument as you're deviating from the subject matter

You are oblivious to the phases of a project as well as which phase of the project you are responsible for. By doing things beyond the scope of you expertise, or lack thereof, you are putting the people who will inhabit your buildings in danger and at death’s door.
Good day
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2021
AK481:
OP is a quack.

Most Time people like him draw magnificent nonsense that gives the engineer headache on the structural disadvantages and its correction.

Yes. Structures shaped like trapezoids.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by mikekobe01(m): 1:30pm On Sep 25, 2021
Your No5 is so wrong. I doubt if you're an expert/professional yourself. Architects are not proficient in providing the cost implication of a building even if they designed it. That's the job of a quantity surveyor.

It is quackery for an architect to provide cost of a building. They're not skilled to offer such service.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by sonnie10: 3:33pm On Sep 25, 2021
Aufbauh:

You have misinterpreted that rule. This does not mean an architect can’t advertise his services.
The first sentence means an architect should not ask or lobby someone to advertise his service. For example, an architect should never approach or permit ABB and Sons Hardware stores and tell them to put a sign in their shop or on newspaper promoting the architect.
The second sentence means
The architect should never say this particular building materials brand is better than the other. For example an architect is not allowed to put his name in an advertisement or even give the impression that a particular brand of materials is better than others.

So that rule does prohibit architect from advertising their services or work. Soliciting means going from the behind to beg or pay someone to do advertising for you as if you are are not the one who paid for it.
Consider this scenario
A big construction company that is well known for their quality work is approached by an architect to put up an advert promoting the particular architect. Does that not amount to deceiving the public? As if that particular architect is one doing all the previous work of that big company. This is exactly the situation that code is trying to prevent.
It can also work the other way. A good architect’s name could be used to promote works that they did not do, if allowed.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by jojothaiv(m): 3:43pm On Sep 25, 2021
I've been in the bricklayinng department for close to six years and all I keep hearing from clients is Salako, get me that building, just that style and pattern.

Like say no be architect design am and the guy man no go chop too. Forget it, the Nigerian culture is not helping creatives when this kind of scenario keeps playing out over and over again.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2021
sonnie10:

You have misinterpreted that rule. This does not mean an architect can’t advertise his services.
The first sentence means an architect should not ask or lobby someone to advertise his service. For example, an architect should never approach or permit ABB and Sons Hardware stores and tell them to put a sign in their shop or on newspaper promoting the architect.
The second sentence means
The architect should never say this particular building materials brand is better than the other. For example an architect is not allowed to put his name in an advertisement or even give the impression that a particular brand of materials is better than others.

So that rule does prohibit architect from advertising their services or work. Soliciting means going from the behind to beg or pay someone to do advertising for you as if you are are not the one who paid for it.
Consider this scenario
A big construction company that is well known for their quality work is approached by an architect to put up an advert promoting the particular architect. Does that not amount to deceiving the public? As if that particular architect is one doing all the previous work of that big company. This is exactly the situation that code is trying to prevent.
It can also work the other way. A good architect’s name could be used to promote works that they did not do, if allowed.

Mr Man don't be an indolent, check the Google. Can Architect advertise?

The case prohibiting an Architect from advertising has a historical submission whose convention was abducted by NIA. The issue is not peculiar with NIA as it is widely abducted by almost all countries.

Again, this is not head knowledge or hearsay.
I was properly taught 21yrs ago with examples,read through the PCCE, written professional exams on it, passed and license to mentor on same.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by sonnie10: 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2021
Aufbauh:

Mr Man don't be an indolent, check the Google. Can Architect advertise?

The case prohibiting an Architect from advertising has a historical submission whose convention was abducted by NIA. The issue is not peculiar with NIA as it is widely abducted by almost all countries.

Again, this is not head knowledge or hearsay.
I was properly taught 21yrs ago with examples,read through the PCCE, written professional exams on it, passed and license to mentor on same.

Any calling someone names or using insulting words whether online or offline is not a violation of professional ethics?

Why is comprehension so difficult. Does the language in what you posted covey such meaning?
If you are an active member of that body, the best you can do it to move a motion to amend that section of the rule.
It should be written in a more clear language.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Lsofdk(m): 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2021
TripleOh7:
This is quite on point.

I'm sure it's not ethical to advertise in the profession sha.

All the same, just one teeny weeny advice to prospective house owners, save in advance for the kind of house you would like to build.

Telling the architect to reduce his fees is asking him to reduce his services for you.

Of all the building construction professionals, it is majorly the architect that has your back.

The engineer, the contractor, the artisans, the quantity surveyors all would look for ways to have a one-up on you, from over-inflating the prices of building materials to reducing the quality of building materials, over-inflating their service charges, extending the normal construction time especially if they are paid per hour etc.

Only the architect has your back fully.

Don't push him away by ridiculously negotiating his fees. There's a scale of fees he's entitled to abide by under the NIA code.

If the architect calls an arbitrary amount for fees for you, ask him to show you how he's calculated his fees using the sliding scale.

Eventually, you'll realize that he has even cheated himself, which means he might not be offering you full services.
You just open your mouth and spew trash all in the name of having an opinion on the subject matter.
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2021
sonnie10:
Any calling someone names or using insulting words whether online or offline is not a violation of professional ethics?

Why is comprehension so difficult. Does the language in what you posted covey such meaning?
If you are an active member of that body, the best you can do it to move a motion to amend that section of the rule.
It should be written in a more clear language.

Haba, so asking you to do more research on the subject matter has turned to an insult? More so that my comment is advisory.

Anyway if you're not a member then there's no need engaging you in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hot Sale In Gwagwalada,abuja (pics attached) / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers / LASG Set To Deliver 360 Homes In Igbogbo, Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.