Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! (14302 Views)

Poll: Are things beginning to change for the better?

Yes: 65% (118 votes)
No: 34% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / The Wind Of Change Is Blowing Cross River State. / "Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2007
@ Mckren, you said Dariye was tactically supporting Christains but the truth was that he did not care if everybody in Plateau killed themselves. As long as it did not affect him, Because both Christains and Moslems were killed during the first and second crisis. My Neighbor lost her Father in the Second crisis which promted the state of emergency and he was a Christain.
Dariye cared only about himself and mistress Christabel not for any group of people Christain or Moslems
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 11:00am On Jul 27, 2007
lol @ christabel. inside info hmm
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by McKren(m): 12:01pm On Jul 27, 2007
alright

correction noted Maam
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by spaceworld: 3:56pm On Jul 27, 2007
Aisha,
Good let take the bull by the horn, EFCC should start immediate peocecution of OBJ if really the are cleaning nigeria off bad eggs, well i give glory to God that this is happening without bloddy revolution, but i must confess that the major culprit are still walking freely, what lesson will a serving govenor learn from this when he actually know that he will serve his sentence concurrently and the date will be back dated since the day of arrest, the smart ones will do aways with billion but the ones that can trace will be the one to forefeit what about the wealth that is not traceable?, Well God will prevail on us sha.

If ICPC really want to curb public assort and violation to oath office let them sentence them to life imprissonment, no one will dare try to steall a penny from public cover, all these chicken and mouse punishement will never curb curruption, because these guys rogues called Governor can dare to steal billion and go to jail for just to years and come out and spend their ill gotten wealth becos they care not and they are rogues, heartless and bad.

Thanks
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by denex: 11:16am On Jul 28, 2007
@McKren & aisha2

you guys are saying the same thing because Dariye did all of the above. So I don't care which specific vice he was removed for.

This is what happens when people contest for governorship without adequate background. They think everything will go smoothly and they would steal a couple of millions and their tenure will end happily.

Nigerian governors are not even prepared for a scenario whereby indigenes of one state will declare war against indigenes of another state. They are not prepared on how to manage the worst, yet they buy governorship forms.

Dariye should also be charged with negligence of duty leading to the loss of life. Because that is just what he did.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 28, 2007
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by abiodunade(m): 4:05pm On Jul 28, 2007
spaceworld:

Aisha,
Good let take the bull by the horn, EFCC should start immediate peocecution of OBJ if really the are cleaning nigeria off bad eggs, well i give glory to God that this is happening without bloddy revolution, but i must confess that the major culprit are still walking freely, what lesson will a serving govenor learn from this when he actually know that he will serve his sentence concurrently and the date will be back dated since the day of arrest, the smart ones will do aways with billion but the ones that can trace will be the one to forefeit what about the wealth that is not traceable?, Well God will prevail on us sha.

If ICPC really want to curb public assort and violation to oath office let them sentence them to life imprissonment, no one will dare try to steall a penny from public cover, all these chicken and mouse punishement will never curb curruption, because these guys rogues called Governor can dare to steal billion and go to jail for just to years and come out and spend their ill gotten wealth because they care not and they are rogues, heartless and bad.

Thanks
Am n total support of wat spaceworld, wit d recent treatment of former bayelsa sate governor, most of our public office holders will nt learn any lesson. Obj and Atiku should be investigated by now because both of dem accused each other of corrupt enrichment. 4 now i dnt much believe in dis fight against corruption until wen powerful corrupt public officers are bein sentence to like 10yrs imprisonment witout option of fine, dat is wen d present occupant of public office will know dat is not business as usual.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by ph4life(m): 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2007
we are simply just wasting our time with these thieves!! efcc can only do so much because that is what the law permits. if a poor man gets caught stealing in the market place in naija from what i recollect - an item that is not even that valuable, all it takes is for someone to shout 'ole', the poor man will regret the day he was born. we the masses should hand down the same treatment to these so-called leaders thats it. after 1 or 2 of that we will see who will steal OUR money again. REVOLUTION is of course the last resort, and i strongly beleive that might happen. It pains me that Naija will not be a comfortable place in my lifetime!!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by denex: 9:13am On Jul 29, 2007
Jungle Justice. You want to turn the whole Nigeria into a Jungle abi?

Do you know how many innocent people have died due to jungle justice?

Do you know how many innocent people were killed during the French Revolution?

God Help Nigeria!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Mustay(m): 9:24am On Jul 29, 2007
amen
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by MP007(m): 11:36am On Jul 29, 2007
slowly but surely, we are almost there, plz tell efc to add GBENGA daniel to the list , the mad /thief AS OVER 4BILLION, how he take get am ?
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by justin04(m): 4:54pm On Jul 29, 2007
I visited Nigeria in 05 and was back june/july of 07, I am very impressed with some of the changes that have taken place. But all these changes will not get done overnight. Overall, I think Nigeria is finally moving in the right direction. Two years ago, I would not dare open an account in a Nigerian bank, this time around, I did so without having second thoughts. People are now held accountable for their actions.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2007
Make somebody te4ll me wen hand go touch some other ex-govs.like,,
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by yarodin: 5:30pm On Jul 30, 2007
lol, Alam whatever just got released after 2days in jail.  Kalu and co should already be out on bail, so all this yarn about EFCC doing a good job is total rubbish.  The few they have netted just got a tap on the wrist, just imagine how they will treat mini gods like Odili.  Men, na poor poor people dey suffer for Naija.  Yaradua should just try and give us constant electricity and good roads, lets not waste our time with this EFCC bull crap because that is all it is.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by JeopardE(m): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2007
He had already spent two years in jail. The court ruled that he was to serve his six 2-year terms concurrently, so that's why he's out.

This was done in order to foster a resolution of the Niger Delta crisis. Unfortunately our junior terrorists in the delta still consider the man as a hero, so keeping him in jail is not going to help as far as restoring peace and order to that region goes.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by ebos(m): 8:16am On Jul 31, 2007
Most people seems not to understand how shameful it is to know Nigeria as a corrupt country - a country full of criminals and fraudsters. It's quite shameful because I feel everybody is labelled corrupt despite that not everybody is involved in this disgraceful act. Now, consider your perspective for a known criminal. Obviously, you feel contempt for the person, and this is how we are before other countries. This is not a question of I'm personally not corrupt, because other countries don't have trust for you as long as you are a Nigerian. Those that disappointed them were at a certain period of time trusted, so everybody is seen as fraudster. Most of our people abroad are not even proud to say they are Nigerians just because of this corruption. Yes, they are right because everybody wants to disassociate him or herself from a criminal.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2007
yarodin:

lol, Alam whatever just got released after 2days in jail. Kalu and co should already be out on bail, so all this yarn about EFCC doing a good job is total rubbish. The few they have netted just got a tap on the wrist, just imagine how they will treat mini gods like Odili. Men, na poor poor people dey suffer for Naija. Yaradua should just try and give us constant electricity and good roads, lets not waste our time with this EFCC bull crap because that is all it is.
When people are charged with a crime, they enter a plea bargain to get a less harsh sentence. That is done even for other people apart from these Governors. It is done all over the world it is not only in Nigeria
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2007
The fact reamins that he was tried and convicted. a feat never before achieved (at least not in my lifetime) I am personally happy with the journey so far. we can expexct a 360 degree turnaround automatically. wink
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by anando(m): 2:57pm On Jul 31, 2007
aisha u did very well,people like the arrogant n-guage are evry where they hate and luv with closed eyez. No matter hw much u hate d present regime,u have 2 acknowledge d fact dat it is bringing smiles to people's faces.And remind N-guage dat Nyame,Turaki and Alamisiegha are all from d PDP
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by redsun(m): 11:03pm On Aug 03, 2007
The only thing that doesn't change is change,it must happen whether you like it or not.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by minute(f): 1:27pm On Aug 04, 2007
so saddening.

i pray all this dirty people would be brought to book.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by unleashit(m): 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2007
if only efcc can tackle Antony Anenih then we would know the anti-corruption crusade is going well. He was the main conduit through which stolen money was distributed to PDP members.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by IykeD1(m): 2:55pm On Aug 05, 2007

if only efcc can tackle Antony Anenih then we would know the anti-corruption crusade is going well. He was the main conduit through which stolen money was distributed to PDP members.

really, so Anenih is the biggest problem in the country? Is he worse than the state governors
who were monthly receiving statutory allocations and have nothing to show for it on the ground?
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by sleekmike(m): 3:22pm On Aug 05, 2007
I really like what is happening right now. My only concern is the selective manner in which Ribadu's EFCC is going about the whole thing.A Governor who had only about 2million before he become a governor now has 24 billion and yet he is not arressted. All the wicked , evil, corrupt Governors of south-south were left free people. Did Orji Kalu still more than the former Governor of Imo State? Does it mean that all the govs in the South West were angels. Efcc should please rise up and clean up this country and Ribadu will be writing his name in Gold than what he is doing now. He is being selective.
He has every opportunity to redeem his image or let it be like the Maurices of INEC.
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by champredd(m): 3:43pm On Aug 05, 2007
I no longer see E.F.C.C. as being selective, they are trying their best and we should support them. Do you forget that they must investigate and have evidence of criminal activity before making any arrest.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by denex: 9:54pm On Aug 05, 2007
@sleekmike

you must realise that most of the South West governors of the past administration retained their office. Others, like Fayose are being tackled by the EFCC.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by dapsygreat(m): 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2007
Being optimistic and positive, I can see things getting better, that's all we've been praying for all the years and surely one day it has to come to pass.
That is what is happening now. Really, it wont appear possible to many, but it will meet them by suprise. Nigeria will surely flourish again. It's God that is working in Nigeria 's case. I believe stronggly in Nigeria.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by swiftycool(m): 9:12am On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

When people are charged with a crime, they enter a plea bargain to get a less harsh sentence. That is done even for other people apart from these Governors. It is done all over the world it is not only in Nigeria

Beautiful! so we can all steal public funds in our care, squander it, invest some for the rainny day but never forget the one we'll use to hire a bright lawyer to fight the case by entering into a plea Bargain as its done all over the world, well after millions of childrens' lives have been destroyed from our selfish and indesciplined acts.
We can go off with light sentences which we bought with the profit gained from the illicitly acquired money or be completely cleared and then  someday still run for another political office again. LOL  shocked

id say we should take a cue from the way Singapore, or is it china dealt with the unrully Food and drug Boss earlier this year. and let there be no sacred cows
Then there may be a real wind of change!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by denex: 10:18am On Aug 07, 2007
@swiftycool

that is how the law works. Even in the USA, murderers have been let go with little or no punishment under plea bargain agreement.

But you must hold some bargaining chips to enter a plea bargain. You don't just plea bargain.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 07, 2007
@Denex, did you get my mail?
@swiftycool
The law sucks but that is how it works like Denex said even Murderers get a lighter sentence if they have something to offer.
The Singapore example is too drastic if you ask me. Buhari tried that and there were shouts of Human rights abuse, moreover we are in a Democracy and these are legal issues, EFCC or Mr. President has little control over it except the law is changed.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 07, 2007
all this "denex did you get my mail" "aisha did u get my mail"

make una include me for the loop now
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Backslider(m): 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2007
Hmm Moods seem to be changing.

I was in Nigeria and I tell you Lagos is a disgrace. However I cannot call a dog a bad so that it should change its character. We have to Prosecute corrupt officials with our eyes opened. We have to send this convicts to longer prison sentences.

EFFCC DID THEIR JOB THE CONVICTIONS AND JUDGMENT IS BY THE JUDGE NOT THE EFFCC.

We now have a Precedent though a weak one but it is better than none. The sentencing should be heavier.

Ah My Lagos state is in a mess. That Tinubu guy should be asked to account. Tinubu killed Lagos state. This is a great shame. I lived in singapore they have no farms, I mean absolutely nothing but they have foreign reserves of $120 billion. The size and population of singapore cannot be compared to Lagos.

There is a center in singapore close to a river the picture of the old singapore is posted i tell you OSHODI IS BETTER now THAN THAT PLACE THEN.

We need to hold the governor of Lagos state accountable. We have to stop playing on the animosities of the state gov and the federal gov.

We shall be doomed if we dont hold the state government accountable. Forget about the federal allocation first let us hold the state government on the monies that collect as tax.

over 1 million move in and out of Lagos. please let deal with this man called Bola Tinubu so that no one will do this again to Lagos. I think they will have to deal with the less politically media hyped thieves.

We now see what i was saying the state government stole money. Yes they should investigate OBJ and if he found culpable he should face the music.

Now some people say because the head is by perception corrupt they cannot be be seen to have a genuine desire to fight corruption. THIS IS A BIG LIE FROM THE PIT OF HELL. I WILL GIVE YOU EXAMPLES.

1) THE PRISONERS IN PRISON KNOW VERY WELL THAT NOT ALL OF THEIR INMATES ARE GUILTY AND THEY SEEK JUSTICE FOR THEM ANY WAY THEY CAN. IF YOU HAVE BEEN INCARCERATED BEFORE YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

EVEN IN PRISON PRISONERS ARE LAW ABIDING

2) THE FOREFATHERS THAT WERE ON THE LANDS OF AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA WERE CRIMINALS BROUGHT FROM THE UK THEY WERE USED TO BUILD THE LANDS IN WHICH SOME OF YOU QUEUE AND SEEK VISAS TO RUN TO NOW.

A KINGDOM THAT IS DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF CANNOT STAND.

CLEANSING MUST START FROM SOMEWHERE.

THERE MUST BE SIMILITUDE OF THE RULE OF LAW, THE PROSECUTION AND SENTENCING.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Who Hasn’t Seen This? See What A Chinese Woman Is Doing With Goat On The Street! / Modu Sheriff Will Work For Us In APC – Governor Of Kano / Mimiko's Cabinet Members Defect To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.