Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,940 members, 7,952,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:43 AM

South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? (14102 Views)

Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! / Africa, The Next China - US Senator / Who Is The Real Giant Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by rookie(m): 4:02pm On Apr 22, 2009
According to CIA factbook https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ (which is think is the closest to a reliable source)

From this, i don't see Nigeria's economy to be astronomically far off from SA as the author of this thread suggests,  In addition, the potential of a nation with a huge labor force advantage (though grossly underutilized still) should never be underestimated.

[table][tr][td]
[center] SOUTH AFRICA [/center]
GDP (purchasing power parity):                         
$489.7 billion (2008 est.)
$476.4 billion (2007)
$453.3 billion (2006) 

GDP (official exchange rate):   
$300.4 billion (2008 est.) 
GDP - real growth rate:   
2.8% (2008 est.) 
GDP - per capita (PPP):   
$10,000 (2008 est.) 
GDP - composition by sector:   
agriculture: 3.4%
industry: 31.3%
services: 65.3% (2008 est.) 
Labor force:   
18.22 million economically active (2008 est.)
  [/td]
[td]
[center] NIGERIA  [/center]
GDP (purchasing power parity):   
$338.1 billion (2008 est.)
$318.7 billion (2007)
$299.5 billion (2006) 

GDP (official exchange rate):   
$220.3 billion (2008 est.) 
GDP - real growth rate:   
6.1% (2008 est.) 
GDP - per capita (PPP):   
$2,300 (2008 est.) 
GDP - composition by sector:   
agriculture: 18%
industry: 50.9%
services: 31.1% (2008 est.) 
Labor force:   
51.04 million (2008 est.)
    [/td][/tr][/table]
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by ikeyman00(m): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2009
@@@@

has anyone got pic of alexandra township

im lookin to see mpele on bare footed
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by ikeyman00(m): 12:11am On May 01, 2009
hadexman are u from alexsandra township
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by phatjoe(m): 5:12pm On May 19, 2009
where is that rude animal boy called thabo
are u tyred of blowing ya trumpet
foolish brat of a baboon
ow did u thread ya nairaland
go to soweto and tell this shit
and see if u will escape wif ya soul
bunky-ass
Is this ow u say thank u to a BIG BROTHA
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by MandingoII(m): 6:01pm On May 19, 2009
South Africa
Labor force:
18.22 million economically active (2008 est.) �

NIGERIA
Labor force:
51.04 million (2008 est.) �

This is the biggest Estimate of POVERTY.

Nigeria have 3 TIMES more poverty (people) than South Africa.

the more people you have and less you are able to feed them the more disease, crime, death, destruction, famine and Poverty.

This is why Nigerians flock to South Africa.

In reality. Both countries are fugged up. South African whites are still in control, and the Nigerian Government is ran by multinationals.

you'd probably get by better in South Africa than Nigeria ,
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by champredd(m): 8:57am On Jun 10, 2009
African countries should stop trying to be local champions and start palying more economic role on the global stage
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by AjanleKoko: 11:07am On Jun 10, 2009
akeme:

Even if half of this article is factual. It's pretty to easy to see who the real Giant of Africa is

http://www.monthlyreview.org/mrzine/hattingh260607.html
Reads more like a conspiracy theorist rant.
SA companies have profited immensely in Nigeria. What investment vehicles have the government of Nigeri set up to midwife investments anywhere? It's always a case of sell to the highest bidder for these guys.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by okotie800(m): 12:22pm On Jul 21, 2009
@thabo mbeki
with all due respect,i think u are an illiterate and i want to make some things clear to y'all.Do u really know what it means to be the 'GIANT Of AFRICA'? Guess not. Let me tell u this,
1) Nigeria played a major role in abolishing or rather,curbing apatheid in south africa.
2) Talking about soccer,how many times has south africa graced the world cup? Or rather,how many times have u guys made it to the quarter finals of the Nations Cup talk less of winning.
3)whenever there is war in any part of the continent eg DR Congo,sierre leone,etc do u guys ever contribute in the peace keeping?
U think it is just about the economy,i just pray u guys make it past the group stages in the world cup. I like south africa though but get ur facts right.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2009
Nigeria played a major role in abolishing or rather,curbing apatheid in south africa.
What did Nigeria do? Holding some exiled people.
Apart from that then you can consider the whole world played apart in abolishing apartheid.
2)Talking about soccer,how many times has south africa graced the world cup? Or rather,how many times have u guys made it to the quarter finals of the Nations Cup talk less of winning.
Since re-inception in 1994 about twice(1998 and 2002) SA qualified for the world cup, and they won the Nations cup once in 1996, finalist in 1998, third position 2000, quarterfinalist 2002.
Apart form football, track and field athletics, basketball SA dominates in every sports in africa.
I suggest that you should get your facts right
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by okotie800(m): 1:15pm On Jul 21, 2009
@yoruba
what about peace keeping, what role does SA play in africa?
How many world cups did u say SA have been to?
How many times have south africa won the all african games?
Have u guys ever managed to make wave in the olympics?
Who successfully negotiated the china-africa patnership?
What kind of aids has south africa ever given to any other african country?
Where is SA in the FIFA ranking?
How many south africans can you point out to be making wave in the world at the moment?
The nigerian population eclipses that of SA.
Who has the most powerful and the largest land army in the world?
What about the third largest movie industry in the world?It is the nigerian Nollywood.
SA is trying i must say but they still have a very long way to go.
Brother,get it into your thick skull.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2009
Since re-inception 1994
How many world cups did u say SA have been to?
2(1998, 2002)
How many times have south africa won the all african games?
2(1995 Harare;1999 Johannesburg)
Have u guys ever managed to make wave in the olympics?
Outside of USA and Australia, South Africa made head waves in Swimming
South Africa has still the most gold by an african country(even though it performed poorly in Beijing)
Where is SA in the FIFA ranking?
Yea sure SA is not good in Football, but it is no.1 in cricket(both Test and ODI) and current world rugby champs, just to name a few sporting stat, oh South African golfers has won more majors than any other country apart of the USA
How many south africans can you point out to be making wave in the world at the moment?

Well SA has grammy award winning artist and oscar winning actors, SA has more famous people than any other country in africa
What about the third largest movie industry in the world?It is the nigerian Nollywood
Yea, Home made videos, South Africa made the only Oscar award winning movie in africa, Most of there movies are international award winning movies and are compared to hollywoods movies.
Fact is, South Africa has a major gap in comparison to the rest of africa
Who successfully negotiated the china-africa patnership?
Who gives a damn what china does, South Africa is G8+5 member it makes alot partnerships on its own.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 2:13pm On Jul 21, 2009
Lets talk about institutions:

Where do you get the best:

Schools
Universities
Scientific research facilities
Hospitals
Tourist attractions(Apart from the pyramids)
Sporting stadiums
Economic, Law and Judiciary institutes
Media and research
and more

in Africa?
South Africa
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by asha2: 2:18pm On Jul 21, 2009
Nigerians have false image of themselves.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 2:52pm On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

Nigerians have false image of themselves.
Its so true, you hear of Nigerians bragging about they are 8th biggest produced of oil in the world, well South Africa is the no. 1 producer of gold in the world since 1905 and they have earthed 60% of the worlds gold, also being the no. 1 producer of platinum in the world.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Horus(m): 2:09am On Aug 01, 2009
South Africa is the ninth-biggest wine producer in the world, with 102 000 hectares cultivated to vine, representing three percent of global output. For the 12 months to April 2009, the country exported just over 403.3-million litres of wine to reflect a year-on-year growth of 17%. Sales to the country's biggest markets were all up, to the UK by 27%, to Germany by 12%, and to Sweden by 26%.

Source: http://www.southafrica.info/travel/food/wosa2010-140709.htm
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by immadosumn: 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2009
I hate to keep the very inflammatory rhetoric of this thread alive, but I just couldn't resist  wink

So here it goes:

- As a Nigerian who lived in SA for more than 10 years ( through the first general elections that elected Madiba to Mbeki's political demise) I have what you might call, a first hand knowledge of life in SA, post apartheid.

- SA, like most multi cultural/multi-racial societies is still largely polarized along the lines of race, sex and of course, class. The ruling black elite only replaced the Afrikaner National Party in largely symbolic terms. There's no "real change" in the lives and future outlook of everyday South African blacks. The same ones, whose parents and grandparents were at the receiving end of the Boer brutality, still largely remain in their AIDS infested, crime ridden and sadly, poverty stricken "shacks" as they call them; sprinkled on the fringes of every major South African city, much like the defunct Apartheid system designed it.

- SA blacks are not helping matters, if anything, they actually make it worse for themselves. Xenophobic outbursts such as recently demonstrated in the riots of 2 years ago, profiles for the keen observer, the real mindset of these Africans.

- The Boers created a class system with the European invaders (slave masters) being at the top of the food-chain, the "Coloureds" (Mulattos) in second place, the imported Indian slaves in third place and you guessed right, the real owners of the land at the bottom of the food-chain. Access to education and socioeconomic  opportunities was rationed along the lines of this class structure. This still largely permeates in every specter of society, today.

- SA blacks are NOT like the rest of black Africa. Their genetic disposition makes it impossible for them to empathize with each other, much less Makwerekweres (a commonly used derogatory term for foreigners) from "North Africa", as these sadly mostly ignorant people refer to the rest of Africa. In fairness though, hundreds of years of living under the gun pretty much made it impossible for SA blacks to evolve like the rest of Africa did, ie, managing or would I rather say, mismanaging our own affairs - at least we mostly did it, our way; SA blacks sadly, cant say that.

- @ Thabo's line of argument here shows you only a minute part of how blacks in SA see the rest of Africa.

- Dont get me wrong, there are very well traveled and very cultured blacks in SA, but you will have to go through a bunch of jerks like @ Thabo before finding any. They will rather not want to be identified with their fellow blacks in SA.

- I remember growing up in Nigeria and there was an elderly SA couple living as tenants of my dad's, while both lecturing in a State University. I first learnt much about the brutality of Apartheid from this very political couple as an inquisitive preteen. I also remember they enjoyed their time in Nigeria with both their daughters even being married to Nigerians.

To sum it up, SA with all of its technological and industrial development cannot be really compared to the rest of Africa. The country was created and designed by the Boer farmers (trekkers) and the Brits for their own consumption. It was never created with the desire of one day giving it up to the ill equipped Africans to plunder. Ten years on, their fears seem a little justified. SA blacks have a very vibrant trade union and skilled labor force; but not enough to meet the challenges the new dispensation faces.

Giant of Africa or not, Nigeria has always played a role in these issues. I don't see that changing very soon. As they would say in SA, black is lekker! My 2c.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2009
@Okotie
no.1 in cricket(both Test and ODI) and current world rugby champs
Oh by the way, according to the latest rankings SA is now ranked no.1 rugby(Rugby world cup is the third biggest sporting event in the world after the Football World cup and the Olympics)
SA is dominates the world in two major sports, I thought I might share those stats with you
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by yoruba: 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2009
immadosumn:

I hate to keep the very inflammatory rhetoric of this thread alive, but I just couldn't resist  wink

So here it goes:

- As a Nigerian who lived in SA for more than 10 years ( through the first general elections that elected Madiba to Mbeki's political demise) I have what you might call, a first hand knowledge of life in SA, post apartheid.

- SA, like most multi cultural/multi-racial societies is still largely polarized along the lines of race, sex and of course, class. The ruling black elite only replaced the Afrikaner National Party in largely symbolic terms. There's no "real change" in the lives and future outlook of everyday South African blacks. The same ones, whose parents and grandparents were at the receiving end of the Boer brutality, still largely remain in their AIDS infested, crime ridden and sadly, poverty stricken "shacks" as they call them; sprinkled on the fringes of every major South African city, much like the defunct Apartheid system designed it.

- SA blacks are not helping matters, if anything, they actually make it worse for themselves. Xenophobic outbursts such as recently demonstrated in the riots of 2 years ago, profiles for the keen observer, the real mindset of these Africans.

- The Boers created a class system with the European invaders (slave masters) being at the top of the food-chain, the "Coloureds" (Mulattos) in second place, the imported Indian slaves in third place and you guessed right, the real owners of the land at the bottom of the food-chain. Access to education and socioeconomic  opportunities was rationed along the lines of this class structure. This still largely permeates in every specter of society, today.

- SA blacks are NOT like the rest of black Africa. Their genetic disposition makes it impossible for them to empathize with each other, much less Makwerekweres (a commonly used derogatory term for foreigners) from "North Africa", as these sadly mostly ignorant people refer to the rest of Africa. In fairness though, hundreds of years of living under the gun pretty much made it impossible for SA blacks to evolve like the rest of Africa did, ie, managing or would I rather say, mismanaging our own affairs - at least we mostly did it, our way; SA blacks sadly, cant say that.

- @ Thabo's line of argument here shows you only a minute part of how blacks in SA see the rest of Africa.

- Dont get me wrong, there are very well traveled and very cultured blacks in SA, but you will have to go through a bunch of jerks like @ Thabo before finding any. They will rather not want to be identified with their fellow blacks in SA.

- I remember growing up in Nigeria and there was an elderly SA couple living as tenants of my dad's, while both lecturing in a State University. I first learnt much about the brutality of Apartheid from this very political couple as an inquisitive preteen. I also remember they enjoyed their time in Nigeria with both their daughters even being married to Nigerians.

To sum it up, SA with all of its technological and industrial development cannot be really compared to the rest of Africa. The country was created and designed by the Boer farmers (trekkers) and the Brits for their own consumption. It was never created with the desire of one day giving it up to the ill equipped Africans to plunder. Ten years on, their fears seem a little justified. SA blacks have a very vibrant trade union and skilled labor force; but not enough to meet the challenges the new dispensation faces.

Giant of Africa or not, Nigeria has always played a role in these issues. I don't see that changing very soon. As they would say in SA, black is lekker! My 2c.
This sums up the entire thread, now this topic shall rest grin grin grin grin
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by kayodeO1: 9:49pm On Aug 11, 2009
South Africa is really a place to be apart from the forth coming world cup,you cant compare southee with naija, but is nigeria the giant of africa,when ghana and souyh africa, are doing well,
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by champredd(m): 8:50am On Aug 12, 2009
African countries are busy being continental giants, instead of aspiring to heights of the "real giants" in the rest of the world.

One thing that all African countries share, is that they all extremely rich materially, but have the poorest of people across the world.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by morpheus24: 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2009
yoruba:

This sums up the entire thread, now this topic shall rest grin grin grin grin

immadosumn:

I hate to keep the very inflammatory rhetoric of this thread alive, but I just couldn't resist wink

So here it goes:

- The Boers created a class system with the European invaders (slave masters) being at the top of the food-chain, the "Coloureds" (Mulattos) in second place, the imported Indian slaves in third place and you guessed right, the real owners of the land at the bottom of the food-chain. Access to education and socioeconomic opportunities was rationed along the lines of this class structure. This still largely permeates in every specter of society, today.

Extremely good insight into the situation. It is very obvious you have spent some time in the country and have analysied it to the best of your ability.

I spent some time there too and agree with your analysis 100%,now only if the SA's can borrow some of this insights and better themselves. We wil lal lbe good for it.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by RSA(m): 11:59am On Aug 13, 2009
morpheus24:

Extremely good insight into the situation. It is very obvious you have spent some time in the country and have analysied it to the best of your ability.

I spent some time there too and agree with your analysis 100%,now only if the SA's can borrow some of this insights and better themselves. We wil lal lbe good for it.

If that makes everybody feel good about themself?then good.
All I know is because of our economic strength,we have one of the most growing black middleclass in Africa,more of our people are obtaining top class univesity degree at a fast pace.Yes I do agree that we still have lot of poor people,but I can assure you that none of them go to bed without food,their children goes to school for free,their health is looked after for free,the goverment is even building them houses for free.I know for a fact that this families won't remain poor for ever.Thier children with the help of the goverment will be educated and find good jobs in SA and will take their family out of povertty.

Now the question is 'is there hope in SA?'

If the answer is Yes then SA is moving forward.Then ask yourself the same question about your country.

SA is undisputed King and Giant of Africa.The only country that has heavely invested in every country in Africa.Fact.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by ocelot2006(m): 12:55am On Aug 17, 2009
10 TOP ECONOMIES IN AFRICA

http://www.clickafrique.com/Magazine/ST014/CP0000002788.aspx

1. South Africa
GDP: $ 467.6 billion Global Rank: 27
South Africa is a middle-income, emerging market with an abundant supply of natural resources; well-developed financial, legal, communications, energy, and transport sectors; a stock exchange that is 17th largest in the world; and modern infrastructure supporting an efficient distribution of goods to major urban centers throughout the region.

2. Egypt
GDP: $ 431.9 billion Global Rank: 29
Egypt is bisected by the highly fertile Nile valley, where most of its economic activity takes place. Since 2005, when the government reduced personal and corporate tax rates, reduced energy subsidies, and privatized several enterprises, the stock market boomed, and GDP grew about 5% per year in 2005-06, and topped 7% in 2007. The economy also experienced an increase in foreign direct investments. However, the subsidies have contributed to a sizeable budget deficit - roughly 7.5% of GDP in 2007 - and represent a significant drain on the economy.

3. Nigeria
GDP: $ 294.8 billion Global Rank: 40
Oil-rich Nigeria is virtually a mono-economy as demonstrated by its overdependence on the capital-intensive oil sector, which provides 20% of GDP, 95% of foreign exchange earnings, and about 80% of budgetary revenues. The largely subsistence agricultural sector has failed to keep up with rapid population growth and the country, once a large net exporter of food, now must import food. GDP rose strongly in 2007, based largely on increased oil exports and high global crude prices.

4. Algeria
GDP: $ 268.9 billion Global Rank: 42
The hydrocarbons sector is the backbone of the Algerian economy, accounting for roughly 60% of budget revenues, 30% of GDP, and over 95% of export earnings. Sustained high oil prices in recent years have helped improve Algeria's financial and macroeconomic indicators. Real GDP has risen due to higher oil output and increased government spending. The government's continued efforts to diversify the economy by attracting foreign and domestic investment outside the energy sector, however, has had little success in reducing high unemployment and improving living standards. Structural reform within the economy, such as development of the banking sector and the construction of infrastructure, moves ahead slowly hampered by corruption and bureaucratic resistance.

5. Morocco
GDP: $ 127 billion Global Rank: 60
The Moroccan Government's ongoing efforts to diversify the economy is being fustrated as Morocco's GDP growth rate slowed to 2.1% in 2007 as a result of a draught that severely reduced agricultural output and necessitated wheat imports at rising world prices. Continued dependence on foreign energy and Morocco's inability to develop small and medium size enterprises also contributed to the slowdown.

6. Sudan
GDP: $ 107.8 billion Global Rank: 62
Despite the ongoing Darfur conflict, Sudan's economy is booming on the back of increases in oil production, high oil prices, and large inflows of foreign direct investment. GDP growth registered more than 10% per year in 2006 and 2007. Agricultural production remains important, because it employs 80% of the work force and contributes a third of GDP. Since 1997, Sudan has been working with the IMF to implement macroeconomic reforms, including a managed float of the exchange rate. In January 2007, the government introduced a new currency, the Sudanese Pound, at an initial exchange rate of $1.00 equals 2 Sudanese Pounds.

7. Angola
GDP: $ 80.95 billion Global Rank: 72
Angola's high growth rate is driven by its oil sector, with record oil prices and rising petroleum production which, along with its supporting activities, contribute about 85% of GDP. Increased oil production supported growth averaging more than 15% per year from 2004 to 2007. Much of the country's infrastructure is still damaged or undeveloped from the 27-year-long civil war. The government is making use of lines of credit from China, Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Spain, and the EU to rebuild Angola's public infrastructure, and several large-scale projects were completed in 2006. Corruption, especially in the extractive sectors, and the negative effects of large inflows of foreign exchange, are major challenges facing Angola.

8. Libya
GDP: $ 78.79 billion Global Rank: 73
Libya depends primarily upon revenues from the oil sector, which contribute about 95% of export earnings, about one-quarter of GDP, and 60% of public sector wages. Libyan officials in the past five years have made progress on economic reforms as part of a broader campaign to reintegrate the country into the international fold. The removal of sanctions against Libya has helped attract more foreign direct investment, mostly in the energy sector. The non-oil manufacturing and construction sectors, which account for more than 20% of GDP, have expanded from processing mostly agricultural products to include the production of petrochemicals, iron, steel, and aluminum.

9. Tunisia
GDP: $ 77.16 billion Global Rank: 75
Tunisia has a diverse economy, with important agricultural, mining, tourism, and manufacturing sectors. Governmental control of economic affairs while still heavy has gradually lessened over the past decade with increasing privatization, simplification of the tax structure, and a prudent approach to debt.

Kenya
GDP: $ 57.65 billion Global Rank: 83
The regional hub for trade and finance in East Africa, Kenya has been hampered by corruption and by reliance upon several primary goods whose prices have remained low. Despite little effort by the Kibaki government to deal with the corruption scandals that rocked it in 2005 and 2006, the World Bank and IMF, and other donors, continue to lend the nation money. The scandals have not weighed down growth, with estimated real GDP growth at more than 6 percent in 2007.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by nex(m): 9:30am On Aug 17, 2009
Interesting outline. No wonder everybody shut up.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by manny4life(m): 12:01am On Jan 10, 2010
RSA:

If that makes everybody feel good about themself?then good.
All I know is because of our economic strength,we have one of the most growing black middleclass in Africa,more of our people are obtaining top class univesity degree at a fast pace.Yes I do agree that we still have lot of poor people,but I can assure you that none of them go to bed without food,their children goes to school for free,their health is looked after for free,the goverment is even building them houses for free.I know for a fact that this families won't remain poor for ever.Thier children with the help of the goverment will be educated and find good jobs in SA and will take their family out of povertty.

Now the question is 'is there hope in SA?'

If the answer is Yes then SA is moving forward.Then ask yourself the same question about your country.

SA is undisputed King and Giant of Africa.The only country that has heavely invested in every country in Africa.Fact.

Dude continue to console yourself, I'm sure you might wanna skip Wikipedia and go to more reliable sources like the IMF and World Bank reports and see how much Nigeria is closing in on you guys and would exceed by 2011. I'm glad you mentioned "is there hope in SA, you said "Yes" same applies to Nigeria; "is there hope in Nigeria" Yes". I'm so sure that economic and financial analyst did not tell lies when they said at Nigeria's current growth rate, it would reach a trillion dollars by 2011, more than twice of yours, you might really wanna keep up to date with info, really important.

You menioned education, plz do all of us a big favor, everyone knows that one of the most educated yet intelligent and brightest people are from Nigeria. Look at Africans who have achieved milestones, more than 1/3 of them Nigerians only from banking to engineering to medicine, did I say computing technologies, Don't console yourself any longer.

I liked when you said " the only country that has invested in evry country in Africa", I assumed that obviously you did not do finance. As someone who studied finance and anyone who studied finance or not would agree with me that its not the number of investment made that counts, but the volume of in capital of investments made. SA can win the award of investing in 20 different countries, but certainly doesn't win the award of volume of capital investment made. Even the U.S. acknowledged Nigeria as Africa's largest investment and trading partner. Then again if SA companies invested in all of Africa, it speaks that the host country is business friendly unlike SA that has a hostile business environment particularly to the African continent.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by BigD2: 1:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
To imply that there are more intellectuals, scientists and engineers in Nigeria than in SA is crazy. SA has built their own nuclear weapons and satelites (eg sumbundilasat), they manufacture parts of airbus aircrafts, they build and export thousands of mercedes and VW cars per year, they have the only functioning nuclear reactors on the continent, they are building africa's only high speed train network, the dstv you watch and the mtn network you use was all pioneered in SA, SA has the largest companies on the continent, our architects created some of the most awesome staduims ever for a world cup. Furthermore, more south africans have reached milestones than nigerians im sure, examples: mark shuttleworth was the first african in space, mandela is one of the most famous people in the world, JR tolkien who wrote lord of the rings was born in SA, gandhi spent many of his early years in SA, Dr chris barnardt made the first heart transplant in the world in cape town, ernie els and gary player are among the best golfers of all time and then there are numerous more business leaders who have built the largest companies in africa. Im not even sure that there is one famous person from nigeria except for prophet joshua hehe.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mthobisi: 5:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
Personally Under blacks rule SA has not done bad, Alot of work still needs to be done Starting with Resolving Unemployment by Growing the economy, them everything else will fall in its place. We are still at 'Honey moon' stage of our democracy & soon people will be wise enough to vote for other parties as well. This is South Africas 3rd Largest City, Durban.

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mthobisi: 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
New And happening projects

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mthobisi: 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2011
Durbans Iconic Stadium

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mthobisi: 5:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
The Pearls of Umhlanga (Durban's "New" City centre, uMhlanga). its not yet done 1 building in the middle has not yet been built, Pearl Sky which will be one of the Tallest in Africa already Pearl Dawn is done & its in the Top 10 Tallest buildings in Africa.

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mthobisi: 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2011
Come to Ushaka marine world it had got Africas largest aquerium!

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by paniki(m): 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
You must be a Durbanite. Us Gautengers are coming to flood your city this festive. Joburg is a ugly city where all the money is made. Cape Town is a beautiful city where all the money is spent. Durban is in-between

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fund Your UBA Visa Africard Instantly Without Going To Banking Hall To Deposit / BUA Cement Lists 33.86 Billion Shares On NSE, Now Third Largest Listed Company / How Often Do You See ₦10 Notes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.