Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Human Resource Professionals: - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Resource Professionals: (332498 Views)

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? / Human Resource Management In Canada / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by diligentd: 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2010
Please house. I am just entering into the HR world and I need an easy software package that I can learn and improve my skills in the field.

Thank you
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by SUKKIE(m): 7:43pm On Apr 29, 2010
@ Ajanlekoko

I reckon you meant line managers as hiring managers.;more often than not  line managers and HR unit tend to work parri-passu .The HR unit provides the competency framework vis-a-vis the business and corporate strategies of the organisation.While, the line managers ensures the suitability of the prospective applicants.
Also,organisations with massive financial muscles do have in-house trainers that tend to coach every line manager on recruitment procedure because they(HR)only have the residual knowledge of other fields. As such, the assessment of the operational bit are left for the line managers.

@diligent
I reckon u register with HR professional bodies for e-newletters and updates.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 3:10pm On May 01, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I have a small poser for my HR friends:

In the recruitment exercise, who is ultimately responsible for determining who gets hired, or determines the baseline for hiring?
HR managers have been clamouring of late to have a lot more say in determining which candidates are selected for the organization, but the hiring managers usually feel that it is relevant only to them. HR should just focus on doing the paperwork and salary negotiations.

What do you guys think?

I think for me it has to be 50/50.  You may agree with me that Human Resource focuses a lot more (personal qualities, special abilities, experience, salary & remuneration, ability to stay etsc) on prospective candidates during interview but line managers are only focusing on technical aspect. Because they are specially trained on recruitment, HR have an edge over line managers. However, a good organization often organize Human Resource Trainings for Line Managers.  This will not only address the issue of recruitment but issues like, motivation, performance management, staff management etc

Generally, the Line Manager is directly accountable for the program impact of HR decision, while the HR Team is directly accountable for the compliance of the action. However, “Shared Accountability” means that both HR Team and Line managers are ultimately accountable for effective and legally compliant HR System. HR accountability should be seen as a continuous cycle. A systematic approach enables the management to Identify, Collect, and Use the information on which accountability is ultimately based.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by MyPeace(f): 1:14pm On May 14, 2010
@
yemmight

l want to thank you for your assistance, with the documents u sent to me when l was compiling my coy's employee manual. l have given the first draft to my boss, so we are still at it.

pls l would want to know the following,

Does the labour act cover the MD of a company?
Is there a law that states who a junior etc staff are?
Is there a law that states a minimum allowance payable to a staff? e.g transport allowance etc
who belong to NECA, is it for private as well as public sector?
What are the Acts relevant to employment that l should know .eg. Labour Act, Pension Act, and where will l buy them.

Pls reply me, is urgent. thank you.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by insight04: 10:23pm On May 20, 2010
The so-called Labour Act in Nigeria needs to be upgraded. Its far behind modern day employment realities.

By the way does anyone know what is the minimum wage is in Nigeria ?

Under what employment law do staff of ECOWAS Commission in Abuja operate ?
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 5:02pm On May 22, 2010
MyPeace:

@
yemmight

l want to thank you for your assistance, with the documents u sent to me when l was compiling my coy's employee manual. l have given the first draft to my boss, so we are still at it.

pls l would want to know the following,

Does the labour act cover the MD of a company?
Is there a law that states who a junior etc staff are?
Is there a law that states a minimum allowance payable to a staff? e.g transport allowance etc
who belong to NECA, is it for private as well as public sector?
What are the Acts relevant to employment that l should know .eg. Labour Act, Pension Act, and where will l buy them.

Pls reply me, is urgent. thank you.

Minimum wage as defined by the law is the least amount you should pay to an employee and that is why we have Basic, Housing, Transport (BHT). Minimum could be basic why others are spread.

In 2000, National Assembly enacted the minimum wage act with the duty of every employer to pay a wage not less than N5,500 for every worker.

In 2001, it was increased to N7,500 (federal worker) and N6,500 (state worker). In other word, no organization either public or private should pay less than N7,500 to a worker but 18,000 is being currently canvassed by the Labour.

NECA is the umbrella organization of employers in organized private sector of Nigeria. It was formed in 1957 to provide the forum for the government to consult with private sector employers on socio-economic and labour policy issues.

MD, even as a business owner, he’s also under employment. His/her name is on the payroll, he pay tax, he gets employer’s pension contribution & he contributes. He is a member of NECA which formed part of labour law. Some MD/Chairmen are also nominated. So they are also employees and under employment labour law. They have limits.

Law directs we should have salary structure so that we can pay people according to their qualifications, experiences and as a result we have grades breakdown.

Junior, Senior, Management, Top Management etc.

Go buy a book on[b] “Nigerian Labour and Employment Law in Perspectives by Oladosu Oguuniyi (Authorized Author)[/b] I bought mine years ago in Lag for 12k or you can buy @ Folio Publishers Ltd. 7, Henry Carr Street, Ikeja or major bookshops. It is very relevant in all our HR issues, policies and its serves as guides in order not to always have legal issues.

All the best.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bigleap: 3:51pm On May 25, 2010
Big Leap Solutions is a recruitment Agency & with our professional ethics we do aim to grow & diversify in a complete HR Management company.

www.bigleapsolutions.net/hr

We do service a few corporates and do aim to service any other small / medium scale businesses and maybe offer them HR consulting, HR Planning, recruitment processes, Appraisals etc.

We do appreciate inputs and partners across Nigeria who would  add value.

please feel free to write to us on info@bigleapsolutions.net

Thank you
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 9:24am On May 26, 2010
To moderators: Attention: AjanleKoko, Cristalz

Some of my posts here suddenly disappered on this forum without any information or explanation from any of you. At least I have gotten a message box to tell me the reason behind your action. You need to exercise your powers diligently so that one won't feel harrassed and sidelined. I need to remind you that as you contribute here so are others. I believe we can always learn from ourselves at all time. If you have deleted any post without given a specific reason, how then do I know where I am wrong?

I am so disappointed by the action taken by you.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bigleap: 9:53am On May 26, 2010
cant see the post we put up yesterday
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by AjanleKoko: 10:47am On May 26, 2010
yemmight:

To moderators: Attention: AjanleKoko, Cristalz

Some of my posts here suddenly disappered on this forum without any information or explanation from any of you. At least I have gotten a message box to tell me the reason behind your action. You need to exercise your powers diligently so that one won't feel harrassed and sidelined. I need to remind you that as you contribute here so are others. I believe we can always learn from ourselves at all time. If you have deleted any post without given a specific reason, how then do I know where I am wrong?

I am so disappointed by the action taken by you.

Hi yemmight,
Your posts are likely disappearing not because of anything we did; there is an automated spam-detection feature active on this site.
When you post repeatedly the same information, or try to paste ads, or copy and paste into a thread, it will be automatically marked off as spam.
We do conduct reviews on occassion, and you may have seen some of your posts reappearing.

In the meantime, I'd advise that we all post threads in the relevant sections. bigleap, kindly post your advertisments for training in the Certification and Training Adverts board, rather than on this thread. Let's keep this one for discussions only.
Thanks a lot for the understanding, and keep posting!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 2:51pm On May 26, 2010
@Ajanlekoko,

My posts are not repeated and I have never placed any advert here coz I know the rule. Unfortunately, my last post was large and it was in response to the posts ffrom mypeace and insight. Anyway, I have got to move on.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by AjanleKoko: 5:34pm On May 26, 2010
^^
did you type the text somewhere else, then copy and paste into the Reply box?
That would have gotten the post marked as spam. Anyway, it has been reported, no worries.

As per ads, my comment was directed to bigleaf, not you.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bigleap: 10:32am On May 27, 2010
again our post has gone missing!!!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 10:59am On May 27, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
did you type the text somewhere else, then copy and paste into the Reply box?
That would have gotten the post marked as spam. Anyway, it has been reported, no worries.

As per ads, my comment was directed to bigleaf, not you.

Thanks for your honest and prompt response mod.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bigleap: 2:46pm On May 28, 2010
Big leap Solutions is catering to the Recruitment requirements of Corporates

We are taking a big leap & would soon cater to overall HR processes of corporates

We would like contributions from all HR executives in the house to advise and add value to this attempt of ours to make HR policies & norms more organized.

please email us on info@bigleapsolutions.net for any suggestions or requirements

Thank you
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by AjanleKoko: 5:54pm On May 28, 2010
@bigleap,
I'd recommend that you post your adverts in the Certification and Training Adverts section.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by PRIMROZZ: 4:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
Hi,

i was recently posted to HR dept, can any one give me a lead on how to better equip myself for the tasks. when can i get materials to read from the net etc. i will appreciate your help pretieaquilla@yahoo.com
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 6:06pm On Jun 10, 2010
PRIMROZZ:

Hi,

i was recently posted to HR dept, can any one give me a lead on how to better equip myself for the tasks. when can i get materials to read from the net etc. i will appreciate your help pretieaquilla@yahoo.com

I think you should be more explicit here i.e. Which department were u, at what level and capacity, equip yourself in what area?
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by PRIMROZZ: 6:27pm On Jun 10, 2010
i accept my mistake, i was the admin officer, currently the HR, I will need to equip myself in the Human Resource capacity. Thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 10:36am On Jun 15, 2010
@ Prim

Ok. You should be getting some stuff soonest. All the best
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by MyPeace(f): 11:42am On Jun 15, 2010
@ yemmight
God bless you! My boss is being a little difficult. l asked those questions, becuase he wants to know where all those were spelt out in the Law Labour. However, l have bought insurance and pension act, labour and workman compensation act books. l saw theone u recommended on the book shelf, its still 12k. l will try and get it too.

Thank you onces again!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by melodytoda: 10:35am On Jun 17, 2010
Dear all,

I am in love with the HR profession.

I have thus registered for the CIPMN.

I registered very late.

Can i still make this august diet?

My admission letter is ready.

Another thing is that i am not doing HR work in the office.

Do i have to wait to complete all the stages of CIPMN before requesting to be moved or i can do it now without HR experience?

Kindly help.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cleversecj: 4:22pm On Jun 21, 2010
melodytoda:

Dear all,

I am in love with the HR profession.

I have thus registered for the CIPMN.

I registered very late.

Can i still make this august diet?

My admission letter is ready.

Another thing is that i am not doing HR work in the office.

Do i have to wait to complete all the stages of CIPMN before requesting to be moved or i can do it now without HR experience?

Kindly help.

You can still write the August diet, but that depends on you ability to study very hard and maybe register with any good study centre around.

It will be of an advantage for you if you are in the HR department reason been that some of the questions most times are technical in nature, so if you are in HR department it will go a long way to boost your confidence when answering some of those questions especially when you can't really phrase your points. But it is not compulsory as you already have you study pack to guide you.

But if you think the organisation you work for won't keep against it why not make the move and see the out come, to me it is a well come idea.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by melodytoda: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2010
Thank you clerversecj.

I will do as you have rightly said.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by iyoyoworl: 6:26pm On Jun 22, 2010
Pls which of the the study centers would you advise one to register with.
I for one wants to build a career in HR and would like to take the certification exam from the foundation stage.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by MyPeace(f): 8:28am On Jun 23, 2010
iyoyoworl:

Pls which of the the study centers would you advise one to register with.
I for one wants to build a career in HR and would like to take the certification exam from the foundation stage.

The centre at Grange School, Ikeja G.R.A is known for excellence, thats where l go. wrote last diet, and will be writing another this August. l recommend it but they dont have foundation classes. they start from intermediate.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by MyPeace(f): 8:46am On Jun 23, 2010
l just read your previous posts, as a graduate you would start from intermediate level, so l recommend the one at grange school, ikeja G.R.A.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by iyoyoworl: 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2010
Thank you Mypeace
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bigleap1: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2010
@moderators - noted, however we were not advertising, we just wish to have feedback from professionals in the house & their recommendations, since this thread is meant only for HR executives

people in the house - please we would welcome any inputs for us
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by kehnie: 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
pls house,can you assist me with a job in hr,i dont mind hr assistant/trainee,presently studying human resources management for my MBA and will like to work in an organisation where I can learn and build a career with.I have 1year working experience,you can pls send me a mail to kennylakenny@yahoo.com.am presently residing in lagos.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by DisGuy: 3:33pm On Jul 05, 2010
How did you get enrolled onto an MBA programme with just 1 year working experience?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (91) (Reply)

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.