Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water (28233 Views)

SA-Based Nigerian Percussionist Olukayode Drove Ferrari That Got Tongues Wagging / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Man Gave Mechanic His Car To Repair, He Drove The Car To His Girlfriend's House. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Dukeolumidemans(m): 12:27pm On Oct 06, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

I like this your Volvo, what model is it. German cars are very strong.

Thanks my brother, it's actually made in Sweden(Europe). It's a 2009 Model S80, V6 with 3.2 engine. A full tank can carry u for 2 weeks and 1 week for half tank with Ac. It's sold for N3.3m to N3.6m and other cars within it's level of strength includes German, British, American cars etc.
Here is a view of the car for ur viewing pleasure...
I come in peace! grin grin grin tongue

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Grupo(m): 12:32pm On Oct 06, 2021
dru23:

So basically let us say you change oil every 3months. Meaning you change oil 4times a year....Let us break down your spending for the year......

Mobil xhp 8500k = 34k for the year
Oil change labour 2k = 8k for the year
Oil filter 2k naira. = 8k for the year

So your total spending on oil changes for the is 50k naira.... This is rough estimates, it should be more ..
My point here is that you can save yourself money and time ......

Now the reason why your engine looks clean is that you don't drive that much . I really doubt 20w50 is the recommended oil for your car . now for you to really damage your engine with 20w50 . You have to drive the car long enough ..

All those short trips here and there will not really damage anything regardless how frequent you change ur oil .... I don't want to go into any further details to avoid unnecessary back and fourth .........

Do the analysis for Mobil full synthetic.

Hope you know it's advisable to change full synthetic oil after six months whether you reached 5k miles or not?

So let's say I do oil change two times in a year with full synthetic oil, I'd be looking at around 70k naira for the oil alone in one year.

I have not added filter and service charge.

Also, your claim that my engine is clean because I do short trips is false.

If anything, short trips are more detrimental to an engine and should cause more harm and sludge even.

Highway driving doesn't negatively affect engine more.

You have only shown that you are ignorant and only want to sell your synthetic oil.

I'm not de-campaigning synthetic oil. They are great.

But saying that normal mineral oil will damage engine with regular changes is false and fear mongering just to sell your products.

4 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Lizarazzu: 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2021
Today issa oyel war grin

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Ekg911(m): 1:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
rolams:

Genius! You really sabi this job!!

May God elevate you beyond your imagination! How I wish you are in Lagos!!!
yes, sir the guy try no be small. Me too I like come Lag ooh help
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Ekg911(m): 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2021
Ellixlimswag:
Flood damages car like mad... am a bolt driver in benin most times you have no option than to pass through some floods... I noticed most cars in benin smoke like mad... my compressor already damaged the engineer is asking me to bring 40k for compressor and 20k for condenser I just taya... I never add workmanship... and I want to ask o what’s mileage do I need to do an oil change to keep engine smooth.
op I want to add to this please. As a bolt driver u drive all through the day. So I will suggest you change oil 3 months and always check oil level too
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by seanfer(m): 1:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
SonofGod231:

With the way you are going about this...You go sabi bill person ooo.
I don dey pity the guy wey get this car

He's price is not high at all... He is the one that fix my car here in PH... He is such a nice person... He will even call afer working on your car to know if you're not having any issue... And if he can't do something he will not lie to you... He's in NTA/Ozuoba road in PH

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by cdoffx(m): 1:54pm On Oct 06, 2021
justdream:

That's the drift. It might just be something minor. My Accord doesnt accelerate well from idle, and then i hear some funny sounds when its trying to change gears. I don jus taya as i dey laidis. Wish i could do a lil of what you did to yours.

What type of sound and where do you suspect it's coming from. It might be that there is allowance in the tripod inside the inner shaft cup or so. It could also be that a mount(engine or gear) or two has broken. Everyone of this I have experienced with my previous Honda's which cause funny sound when the gear is changing.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by justdream(m): 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
shambala:
I can share mechanics contact with you
Please do. Is he in Abuja?
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by dru23(m): 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
Grupo:

Do the analysis for Mobil full synthetic.

Hope you know it's advisable to change full synthetic oil after six months whether you reached 5k miles or not?

So let's say I do oil change two times in a year with full synthetic oil, I'd be looking at around 70k naira for the oil alone in one year.

I have not added filter and service charge.

Also, your claim that my engine is clean because I do short trips is false.

If anything, short trips are more detrimental to an engine and should cause more harm and sludge even.

Highway driving doesn't negatively affect engine more.

You have only shown that you are ignorant and only want to sell your synthetic oil.

I'm not de-campaigning synthetic oil. They are great.

But saying that normal mineral oil will damage engine with regular changes is false and fear mongering just to sell your products.

No need for name calling ... Not to sound disrespectful at all. Looking at your engine bay of your car . The car looks like it is meant to get you from point A to B . so less attention to detail will be apply. We all have cars like that in too. But if it was dream car more attention will be place on detail...... So I get you ....

You stated it is advisable to change full synthetic every 6months.
That is false statement........depending on your driving condition or owners manual .. Full synthetic should be change every 3months or every 7k miles. Whichever comes first...it is not good for Oil to be sitting too long in the engine.

So pretty much you are aware I do uber. And I have few cars on uber platform.
We can agree that an uber clocks at least 2k miles a months.. And also the most commonly used oil among uber drivers is Mobil xhp 20w50 conventional oil. So we going to use me as case study.....

My oil of choice is super Tech Advance 20k miles oil change.... We going to break down the cost of oil every 10k miles ....

Super Tech Advance = 22500k
Fram oil Filter 15k miles change= 7k naira
Labour For oil Change = 3k

Due to wear and tear of driving on uber. I change my oil every 10k miles . I don't go the full 20k miles on advance super tech .

So every 10k miles or 3months ... I spent 32500k
Since my filters are high grade and good for 15kbmiles oil change. I only change once every 10k miles....Labour cost is just once every 10k miles.....

Super Tech every 10k miles.. 32500k

Your cost break down every 10k miles using Mobil xhp 20w50 ........

8500k by 3= 25500k
Oil filter 2k naira by = 6k
Labour for Oil change 3k naira per oil change = 9k

For every 10k miles oil change you do . you spend 40500k naira ............

By using fully synthetic oil like I do .. You can save urself 8k naira per every 10k miles.........

For my personal cars .. If am using Super Tech Advance for 20k miles.. I will use the same method and change oil every 10k miles......

So please continue using 20w50 for your car. Once you get a nice tokunbo car . you can give me a Buzz.

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by justdream(m): 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lavisha:

Yeah, you're right but not all damage gets to the Cyl Block. Meanwhile all cos those technicians are not thorough breed, they'll tell you to change engine.
If you insist on replacing the affected parts, then they'll change story to "It won't last more than 3 months" oga just change the engine.

All na wash, Dem no sabi work.

What I discovered from my Mech during the repair was; he took his time (2 days) to do physical observations on the engine.
After all the checks, he called me to see for myself, he showed me the engine parts and their conditions.

He said I only need to buy an Original follow come "Tokumbo" rings and Con. Rod cos new parts will cause problems after some time.

And that's where many mech got it wrong, they'll purchase a China made brand new engine parts which will later cause more problems.

I'm not saying other mechs ain't good in their ways but
when it comes to fixing engines/gearbox na there you go know say Kazeem and Taju no be mate..

It's all about experience.

Been asking for this yo mechanic. Dont get me more depressed. My '08 is just sitting lonely in the car park for over 2months nw.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by wallrichy: 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
That's my area too. NTA Rd, Mgbuoba precisely. Please can I have his detail though I ain't around presently but tell him to send an intro thru Whatshapp to this number.....0808 395 4821..... Thanks

seanfer:

He's price is not high at all... He is the one that fix my car here in PH... He is such a nice person... He will even call afer working on your car to know if you're not having any issue... And if he can't do something he will not lie to you... He's in NTA/Ozuoba road in PH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Grupo(m): 2:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
dru23:

No need for name calling ... Not to sound disrespectful at all. Looking at your engine bay of your car . The car looks like it is meant to get you from point A to B . so less attention to detail will be apply. We all have cars like that in too. But if it was dream car more attention will be place on detail...... So I get you ....

You stated it is advisable to change full synthetic every 6months.
That is false statement........depending on your driving condition or owners manual .. Full synthetic should be change every 3months or every 7k miles. Whichever comes first...it is not good for Oil to be sitting too long in the engine.

So pretty much you are aware I do uber. And I have few cars on uber platform.
We can agree that an uber clocks at least 2k miles a months.. And also the most commonly used oil among uber drivers is Mobil xhp 20w50 conventional oil. So we going to use me as case study.....

My oil of choice is super Tech Advance 20k miles oil change.... We going to break down the cost of oil every 10k miles ....

Super Tech Advance = 22500k
Fram oil Filter 15k miles change= 7k naira
Labour For oil Change = 3k

Due to wear and tear of driving on uber. I change my oil every 10k miles . I don't go the full 20k miles on advance super tech .

So every 10k miles or 3months ... I spent 32500k
Since my filters are high grade and good for 15kbmiles oil change. I only change once every 10k miles....Labour cost is just once every 10k miles.....

Super Tech every 10k miles.. 32500k

Your cost break down every 10k miles using Mobil xhp 20w50 ........

8500k by 3= 25500k
Oil filter 2k naira by = 6k
Labour for Oil change 3k naira per oil change = 9k

For every 10k miles oil change you do . you spend 40500k naira ............

By using fully synthetic oil like I do .. You can save urself 8k naira per every 10k miles.........

For my personal cars .. If am using Super Tech Advance for 20k miles.. I will use the same method and change oil every 10k miles......

So please continue using 20w50 for your car. Once you get a nice tokunbo car . you can give me a Buzz.

Lol.

My car is a 2007 Toyota corolla sport. May not be a "dream car" but it drives with no issues. Current price is around 2.7 million.

As for My engine bay. Leave it that way. I don't like allowing car wash people to wash it. Because those people can be careless.

Your write up above is incoherent. So I couldn't pick out many things.

So. No thanks.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by justdream(m): 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
cdoffx:

What type of sound and where do you suspect it's coming from. It might be that there is allowance in the tripod inside the inner shaft cup or so. It could also be that a mount(engine or gear) or two has broken. Everyone of this I have experienced with my previous Honda's which cause funny sound when the gear is changing.
The sound is probably inside the engine hub. Like metals clashing or smtin. That's after the mechanic had changed the metals and rings, after the top blew and affected all the afore-mentioned. Its driving me crazy already cos car havent spent 3months since i got it. Just forgot to close the lid of the radiator and booom, my nightmare started.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by seanfer(m): 2:17pm On Oct 06, 2021
wallrichy:
That's my area too. NTA Rd, Mgbuoba precisely. Please can I have his detail though I ain't around presently but tell him to send an intro thru Whatshapp to this number.....0808 395 4821..... Thanks

His number is 08068757123... Tell him from his Customer with black big daddy
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by seanjy4konji: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
I understand now....The force the conrod is using to push the piston against the water and since the water aint going nowhere>??it gats bend...so will the engine stop running?
Kokobilo87:

Yes Na water. Hydrolic can crush ah car so isa water. Water does not compress so is either tha engine blow or tha rod bend

You don't know how engine and pressure works

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by dru23(m): 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2021
Grupo:

Lol.

My car is a 2007 Toyota corolla sport. May not be a "dream car" but it drives with no issues. Current price is around 2.7 million.

As for My engine bay. Leave it that way. I don't like allowing car wash people to wash it. Because those people can be careless.

So. No thanks.

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by dru23(m): 2:28pm On Oct 06, 2021
Grupo:

Lol.

So. No thanks.

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Kokobilo87: 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
seanjy4konji:
I understand now....The force the conrod is using to push the piston against the water and since the water aint going nowhere>??it gats bend...so will the engine stop running?

exactly.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Lavisha(f): 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2021
justdream:

Been asking for this yo mechanic. Dont get me more depressed. My '08 is just sitting lonely in the car park for over 2months nw.

What's wrong the the vehicle? i can talk to him maybe he can come to your location.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by rolams(m): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2021
Ekg911:
yes, sir the guy try no be small. Me too I like come Lag ooh help

I am telling you.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by brandsoncharlie: 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
Dukeolumidemans:

Thanks my brother, it's actually made in Sweden(Europe). It's a 2009 Model S80, V6 with 3.2 engine. A full tank can carry u for 2 weeks and 1 week for half tank with Ac. It's sold for N3.3m to N3.6m and other cars within it's level of strength includes German, British, American cars etc.
Here is a view of the car for ur viewing pleasure...
I come in peace! grin grin grin tongue
The build is very solid. You get good taste
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by kelechiodo(m): 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2021
@Mrford please I've 2000 Camry. The coolant in radiator reduces always but I can't detect any leak but my mechanic asked me to change to double cell. Is that a good advice. I refill the radiator after a short distance.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Martini101(m): 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lavisha:

Yeah, you're right but not all damage gets to the Cyl Block. Meanwhile all cos those technicians are not thorough breed, they'll tell you to change engine.
If you insist on replacing the affected parts, then they'll change story to "It won't last more than 3 months" oga just change the engine.

All na wash, Dem no sabi work.

What I discovered from my Mech during the repair was; he took his time (2 days) to do physical observations on the engine.
After all the checks, he called me to see for myself, he showed me the engine parts and their conditions.

He said I only need to buy an Original follow come "Tokumbo" rings and Con. Rod cos new parts will cause problems after some time.

And that's where many mech got it wrong, they'll purchase a China made brand new engine parts which will later cause more problems.

I'm not saying other mechs ain't good in their ways but
when it comes to fixing engines/gearbox na there you go know say Kazeem and Taju no be mate..

It's all about experience.

We are saying the same thing. As far as it didn't affect the engine block, any good auto-technician( mechanic) can work it.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Dukeolumidemans(m): 5:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

The build is very solid. You get good taste

Yeah it's solid. Thanks for the compliment...meanwhile people driving Toyota Corolla no go understand.
I come in peace... grin grin grin tongue

Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2021
decub:

Love to see Auto shops analyze faults this way.

Keep it up man.

Got annex in Lagos?

No sir
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lavisha:

Sometimes in February my Honda Accord DC overheated, cos Kazeem removed the thermostat and tampered with the engine fan wiring: the rings fried, a connecting rod bent and some bearings damaged.
Most Mechs told me to change engine including our own Gazzuz.
Buh thank goodness, an Engineer from my workplace fixed it.
I bought a premium ring pair and a connecting rod and volla!

My Honda is driving better than before, some mech told me it will go bad after 3 months, it's October already and the car is giving me joy.

I typed all this cos the guy that fixed it told me the same thing you said "All engines can be fixed"

He said he's ringed a countless vehicles that runs good after six years.
Instead of spending 200k on engine, I spent 25k only on everything including workmanship.

I am a Dangote Transport staff and we've got some exceptional technicians.

The option he gave you was the best.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
Bleiz:
I drove through flood few weeks ago and since then my transmission is slipping out of gear, sometimes jerks when trying to change gear, delays before engaging and sometimes doesn't engage at all.

Honda Accord 2005

Water has likely enter the transmission.

Drain the transmission oil and examine the condition.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
Ellixlimswag:
Flood damages car like mad... am a bolt driver in benin most times you have no option than to pass through some floods... I noticed most cars in benin smoke like mad... my compressor already damaged the engineer is asking me to bring 40k for compressor and 20k for condenser I just taya... I never add workmanship... and I want to ask o what’s mileage do I need to do an oil change to keep engine smooth.

Conventional oil 2-3k miles Good brand synthetic 8-10k miles
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
McLizbae:
That can also be credited to regular oil change sha

Yes. but a good synthetic oil does the magic.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
We fix worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPziu8Rtg0

Boss man leave those men.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
kelechiodo:
@Mrford please I've 2000 Camry. The coolant in radiator reduces always but I can't detect any leak but my mechanic asked me to change to double cell. Is that a good advice. I refill the radiator after a short distance.

You have a leak somewhere, you will need to pressure test it. A radiator change will only solve the problem if the leak is from the radiator.
Re: Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water by Mrford(m): 8:53pm On Oct 06, 2021
seanfer:

Thank you sir for your kind words. Hope our car is doing well?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels / NPF Warning: Never Tow Your Keke NAPEP This Way / 14 Companies That Control The Auto Industry (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.