Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. (13254 Views)

Oby & Pastor Chinedu Ezekwesili At Inauguration Thanksgiving (pictured) / Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Abubakar, Shonekan With Ipad At Inauguration (Photo) / Rochas Okorocha Declares Support For Jonathan Vow To Take Over From Him In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Kasieze(m): 6:17pm On Jun 01, 2011
thumbs up to okorocha. Thumbs up to imo state. I wish Chime wil do so the people ENUGU most especialy the great student of enugu state university of sc and tech 'ESUT' . get ESUT guy or gal soul mate, get latest info about ESUT. AL in www.esutforum.com it is a free interactive site to al esut lovers
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Kasieze(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2011
thumbs up to okorocha. Thumbs up to imo state. I wish Chime wil do so the people ENUGU most especialy the great student of enugu state university of sc and tech 'ESUT' . get ESUT guy or gal soul mate, get latest info about ESUT. AL in www.esutforum.com it is a free interactive site to al esut lovers
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2011
Kasieze:

Actually, Enugu, given it's track records, and GDP is in a better position to offer this than Imo State is. Enugu has recorded some strong improvements and growth over the years. Something Imo has struggled with thus far.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by rhymz(m): 2:34pm On Jun 03, 2011
What exactly is the basis of this whole arguments; is it that free education is an unrealizeable policy given the federal allocation to the state or that the new governor is not being sincere(which is not a fact but an opinion).
I am begining to feel some people just criticize cos it is an Igbo state, after all a similar policy was also announced in a SW state, how come the governor is not getting a heat? Na wa o.
Awolowo was able to give an entire region free education without anyone questioning his motives or financial abilities, now a state governor is about to do thesame thing and all these closet tribal haters are here foaming in the mouth in disguise of having an opinion and painting all kinds of weird scenerio in their feverish mind. To the extent one Jason123 dubiously and conveniently reduced the number of people from an entire region that benefited from awolowo's free education policy to be minute compared to prospective beneficiaries of just a state that has anounced thesame policy. What a maneuvering lier!
Currently, Imo state has the following:
(i) No. of Government owned Secondary Schools = 309
(ii) No of Government owned Primary School = 1245
(iii) No of Tertiary Institutions owned by State Government =3
(iv) No of approved private owned Nursery Schools in Imo State = 158
(v) No of Privately owned Primary Schools = 132
(vi) No of approved privately owned Secondary = 139
(vii) No of approved privately owned Vocational Schools = 319

Total enrolment for secondary school in the 2003 school year was 486,026. Enrolment in technical colleges and vocational/commercial colleges for the same year was 122,650. Total number of teachers in both primary and secondary for the same was 96,711.
In the 1996 school year. Imo State primary school enrolment was 561,214.
Give or take lets put the prospective beneficiaries of the policy at a million plus teachers inclusive and bearing in mind that the policy is for childrien in primary and secondary schools, so what is the whole brouhahaha about. Imo state gets about 3billion naira from the fed and almost 600million naira IGR, what exactly will it cost to educate a million childrien if there is decent management and well planned budget for such.
People should stick to facts abeg and stop whining about the man's gestures to show his commitment, none of you malavolent whiners live or have ever been to the state, yet you lots like to argue like you know the politics and policy history of the state like the back of your hands.
Imo state is going to do what it needs to do get up, you all can go and drink cyanide for all we, Imolites care.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by THEAMAKA(f): 10:43pm On Jun 04, 2011
@rhymz, when I go to Owerri, we need to hang out/chill. deal?  cheesy
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by violent(m): 11:16pm On Jun 04, 2011
Can someone confirm how much an average government primary/secondary schools in Imo charges per academic year?
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by rhymz(m): 7:18am On Jun 05, 2011
THE AMAKA:

@rhymz, when I go to Owerri, we need to hang out/chill. deal?  cheesy
Deal Sister, Deal! Would like that.
Am curious by the way, what part of Imo are you from, I notice that lately, you ve been keeping yourself abreast with what happens in Nigeria and Imo state in particular. Keep it up dear! I find it interesting when my relatives abroad who inspite of the fact they were born and raised abroad can hold their own in a debate about Nigeria. I realy respect such an intellectual reach.
And I see your posts on that BBA6 thread, gurlfriend, you should own that thread. .lol. . You obviously are an avid followere of the reality show.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by violent(m): 7:51am On Jun 05, 2011
@Rhymz:

do you have an answer to my question above?
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by THEAMAKA(f): 8:04am On Jun 05, 2011
rhymz:

Deal Sister, Deal! Would like that.
Am curious by the way, what part of Imo are you from, I notice that lately, you ve been keeping yourself abreast with what happens in Nigeria and Imo state in particular. Keep it up dear! I find it interesting when my relatives abroad who inspite of the fact they were born and raised abroad can hold their own in a debate about Nigeria. I realy respect such an intellectual reach.
And I see your posts on that BBA6 thread, gurlfriend, you should own that thread. .lol. . You obviously are an avid followere of the reality show.
haha, thank you smiley I am from a small Northern local government in between Orlu and Owerri, Isu LGA! which part are you from?
I don't visit the politics section much unless the thread is put on the front page. it's really disgusting, nonetheless. it seems there are only a few intelligent people left (yourself included, although you don't frequent every post) while everyone would rather talk of tribe blah blah blah, but not REAL politics. so with that being said, i now just frequent the celebrities and BBA6 thread. Speaking of BBA6, when I saw Karen, her personality, swag, and fell in love! she is 80% of the reason why i watch the show.
with that being said, what are the hottest clubs in Owerri? we must go clubbing! cheesy grin
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by techboy: 4:08pm On Feb 25, 2012
In the so called state of Imo address, Governor Okorocha made promises that are out of this world. He said he will, within the next three years, build a Five Star hotel in each of the three senatorial zones in the state. Yes, Five Star hotels even when there is none yet in the state (not even Concorde Hotel in Owerri in a Five Star Hotel); give scholarship of N25,000.00 per annum to every primary school pupil in the state; N40,000.00 scholarship to every secondary school student in the state; N60,000 scholarship for every OND student of the state Polytechnic; N80,000.00 scholarship per annum for every HND student and N100,000.00 scholarship for every Imo State indigene studying at the Imo state University in addition to receiving tuition free. Meanwhile, out of the over 35,000 student enrolment at the Imo State University, about 31,500 are indigenes of Imo State. Governor Okorocha also announced that he will build three new universities in the state, one in each of the three senatorial zones, before 2015. Already, about 6,000 students are currently enrolled at the State Polytechnic. Imo state has an estimated 700,000 school enrolment in primary and secondary schools. When these figures are put side by side with the Governor’s promises, the following scenario will emerge: It will cost the state N3.5 billion to offer scholarship to the University students as proposed; N416 million for Polytechnic students; and N21 billion for primary and secondary school pupils and students, each year.

This comes to a total of N24.56 billion per annum. Meanwhile, the average annual income of the state is N 34 billion. With a recurrent expenditure of 70 per cent or N 23.8 billion ,a balance of N10.2 billion will be left for capital expenditure. That is not all.

Three Five Star hotels and a 25 storey office building is estimated to cost N180 billion. As at today, projects already embarked upon by the state government amount to N1.275 trillion. If this figure is divided by 34 ( the state’s annual income figure),it means that it will take 37.5 years to complete the projects, assuming that total income accruing to the state will be put into them. You then ask: what sort of abracadabra is this? Why does Governor Okorocha believe that Imo people are this daft.

I can bet that Okorocha’s colleagues, especially in the sister Southeast states, must have been stunned by Okorocha’s claims. How will they now cope with the wrath of their people who will soon confront them on why they cannot perform the same miracle as their Imo counterpart?

Back home, the implication of the Governor’s fairy tales is that he has come to a cross road. There is also total confusion in the state. As I write, the same state university whose students have been promised heaven-knows- how scholarships is under lock and key due to non payment of salaries. Primary and secondary schools lack consumables, contractors are not being paid, road contracts already awarded without papers stand at N850 billion while those advertised for award are worth N87 billion. To crown it all, none of the things promised by the governor is captured in any budget. With this bizarre and weird economics, Governor Okorocha has suddenly brought the state to a bind.

But there is a window of escape for Owelle Ethelbert (my name sake) Anayo Rochas Okorocha. There is an opportunity for him to save himself from the mess. If I were him, I would pray that the PDP wins its appeal at the Supreme Court. He will be the biggest beneficiary of such a victory because it will save him the wrath of Imo people whom he has made to look like people without brains.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by nairaman66(m): 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2012
That free education till University is not a good idea. People are going to start moving to Imo for free University. People originally from Imo would move back. How does one prove to be an Imo resident? What's the criteria? Can the authenticity or IDs be verified?
It's too much. I don't support it.
He has to probe Ohakim if need be.

The PDP has blocked all your senses that you cannot reason logically whether Free Education is possible or not. In answer to your dumb question 'How does one prove to be an Imo resident?'.. I think you should go back to Primary School Education for facts! Sorry for the insults!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan / ACN Releases List Of Merger Committee / Tambuwal Commissions Road In Abia During His Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.