Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku (1944 Views)

UK Minister, Kemi Badenoch Arrives Nigeria For 3-day Visit / Buhari Jets Out To Saudi Arabia For Eight-day Visit / Buhari Yet To Return To Office, 11 Days After ‘7-Day Visit To Daura’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Alphafeezay(m): 3:01pm On Oct 05, 2021
Earlier thread on H.E Atiku Abubakar's visit to the Zoo, Abuja here https://www.nairaland.com/6783753/atiku-abubakar-spends-holiday-children

A mild drama ensued at the National Children’s Park and Zoo in Abuja on Saturday, 2nd October, as former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar visited the facility to celebrate Nigeria’s 61st Independence Day in company of some of his children and grandchildren. The Wazirin Adamawa was taking time off his busy political schedule amid the controversial zoning saga playing out in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, when some excited staff of the Park and Zoo approached him in tears to complain about their alleged abandonment by the authorities.
According to one of them, the family-friendly establishment was built by the Obasanjo/Atiku administration but, since they left office, successive administrations have abandoned both the animals and the workers who make huge sacrifices to keep the place running.
Watch how they lament here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPH3RRFFy2I
“We rely solely on paltry gate takings to feed the animals. Imagine having to feed two lions and two hyenas with one small cow monthly. What we do is give each one of them eight kilograms of meat every couple of days. They go hungry quite often and this is not good for them,” he said.
His colleague, also visibly agitated, stated that government has left workers at the park to their fate even as they struggle to survive with their families.
“Nobody remembers us. We only remain here because we love the animals. Many of them have died. The surviving crocodiles in the zoo were donated by His Excellency’s (Atiku) wife. The python is still growing. Visitors usually hope to see larger animals and so they are disappointed when they only see toddlers. This is why they don’t troop in enough and buy tickets. The tourism value of this place has dwindled,” he concluded.
They both expressed desire to see the former VP return to the Presidential Villa in 2023 in order to revive the zoo to its glory days.
“It was his government that built this place and it was beautiful then. The animals were taken care of and staff welfare was paramount. We really enjoyed working here back then. I was here when it was being constructed and I have worked in this facility from day one. I feel sad with what is going on now.”
It was at that point that he began to shed tears as his colleagues tried to comfort him.

Responding to the workers, the ex-VP said that he was only out to spend time with his grandchildren as he had missed them a lot but promised that he would advise the necessary government authorities to pay more attention to the park as it is a very important recreational and tourist destination for Nigerians and foreigners as well.
Alh. Abubakar said that, apart from tourism and recreation, the zoo is also a key factor in the education of school children as they will be able to learn about animals and nature in real life, beyond just the pictures in their text books. He therefore called on government to try and improve the welfare of staff working in the park.

What was meant to be a family hangout became a celebration of sorts as fun seekers at the park filled the air with chants of “His Excellency” upon recognizing the 2019 PDP Presidential flag bearer. They took pictures with the Waziri who also danced with the youths and cuddled sleeping babies.
Asked how he would improve the recreational opportunities for Nigerians if he became President, Atiku Abubakar said that he would ensure that poorer states are able to catch up with Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt and other big cities that had such facilities already. He declined to answer questions about his political ambition.
“Pardon me, I just want to enjoy the evening with my family.”

1 Like

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Fahdiga(m): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2021
Atiku should dole out a bit of his loot to them
Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by illicit(m): 3:09pm On Oct 05, 2021
undecided

1 Like

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by happiness32: 3:49pm On Oct 05, 2021
Nice one.
Atiku is a cheerful giver. I believe he will support them

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Oguchesunday(m): 3:51pm On Oct 05, 2021
So unfortunate to understand that this government did not give priority to that field which is bad but it is never too late to bring them to understand what it means to develop the zoo and the lifestyles of animals too.
I understand Atiku and it will not be bad if we build Nigeria instead of always sitting behind to blame each government because you are not part.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Alphafeezay(m): 4:01pm On Oct 05, 2021
Cc lalasticlala
Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Jostoman: 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2021
Fahdiga:
Atiku should dole out a bit of his loot to them
what about your oga president that loot all the money donated to Nigerians during 3 month covid-19 lockdown by prominent people like Dangote 1billion, Adenuga 1.5billion, Alakija 500million, Tinubu 200million, Atiku 50milliio and yet your oga still find it difficult to even give us ordinary 5,000 thousand to survive during that turbulent time.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Jostoman: 6:10pm On Oct 05, 2021
God bless you Mr Atiku

1 Like

Re: Atiku Independence Day Visit: We Have Been Abandoned, Zoo Staff Cry Out To Atiku by Fahdiga(m): 6:15pm On Oct 05, 2021
Jostoman:
what about your oga president that loot all the money donated to Nigerians during 3 month covid-19 lockdown by prominent people like Dangote 1billion, Adenuga 1.5billion, Alakija 500million, Tinubu 200million, Atiku 50milliio and oga still find it difficult to even give us ordinary 5,000 thousand to survive during that turbulent time.
Who's my oga president? I don't support lifeless people like you and Buhari grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Okorocha Reciting The Quran, As He Declares For President In 2023 / Yoruba Causing Division Between Igbo And Northerners - Tag Queen (Pictures) / 2023: I Am Not Sick, I Only Went To Repair My Knee – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.