Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,342 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Contrary To Popular Beliefs, Worn Out Tyres Are Better In Front. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Contrary To Popular Beliefs, Worn Out Tyres Are Better In Front. (558 Views)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / 7 Dangers Of Driving On Worn-out Tyres / Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Contrary To Popular Beliefs, Worn Out Tyres Are Better In Front. by LucemFerre: 8:42am On Oct 06, 2021
Highlights of the reasons given:

- Most people believe that it’s less dangerous to have a rear tire blowout than a front because they’ll still have steering control with a rear tire blowout.

Unfortunately, intuition is wrong on both counts, and can be downright dangerous for the customer while exposing the tire dealer to significant (and expensive) liability.

Here’s why: In dry, clear weather it really doesn’t make much difference, but in wet conditions having new rubber on the rears makes a huge difference. Tiremakers and major retailers are universal and unequivocal in their recommendations that, if only two tires are being replaced, the two new tires should be installed on the rear axle.

The deeper tread of new tires will provide better wet grip and evacuate water more effectively, which delays the onset of hydroplaning. On the rear axle, this will help avoid oversteer and a loss of vehicle stability on wet surfaces. While the worn tires on the front wheels will be more susceptible to hydroplaning, drivers can correct far more easily with new tires in the back. Most drivers quickly recognize the loss of front traction and they instinctively slow down to maintain control. Rear-tire hydroplaning is much harder to correct for and is far more likely to result in oversteer, fishtailing and total loss of vehicle control.

Read full article here:
https://www.tirereview.com/so-where-do-new-tires-go/

Re: Contrary To Popular Beliefs, Worn Out Tyres Are Better In Front. by FEGEITOK: 8:48am On Oct 06, 2021
Personal experience validates this.

to test the theory drive on the express at highway speeds on a rainy day

problem is doing so puts you and others at risk, so please don't, just accept the advice and move on

I thought I was driving a different car

until I found a place to stop and rotated the tires as recommended and the problem stopped

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help With The Brain Box Of My Nissan Sunny N16 Model / What Is A Valet Key? / Pls Help Me Passat 2004

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.