Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi (648 Views)

Dollar-Gate: Disregard The Invitation, It's Witch-Hunt - Kano APC To Ganduje / Jumbo Cost Of Governance: Pmb's Food Budget For Tinubu, Shettima Creates Ripples / We Don't Practice Politics Of Witch-hunt In Anambra, Checkout This Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Ladumaa: 10:23am On Oct 06, 2021
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) last Sunday released the “Pandora Papers,” an exposé of the financial secrets and offshore dealings of dozens of heads of state, public officials and politicians from 91 countries and territories.

Incidentally, Mr. Peter Obi, former governor of Anambra State and Vice-Presidential candidate of the PDP in last presidential election, was alleged to have been mentioned in the report.

Mr. Obi is a household name in Nigeria for his successes as both a private businessman and a politician. He remains today the most successful governor produced by Anambra State; first to serve two-terms and he left government with his heads held high.

Among many Nigerians, he is widely regarded as potential for a shot at the presidency of the country. He has also been speaking out against inefficiencies in government; proffering solutions on how to arrest the decline in accountability in public offices.

With his name allegedly listed in the papers, interest is generated; political opponents are woofing for blood and Mr. Obi’s head appears on the guillotine.

According CNN, “more than 600 journalists from 150 outlets spent two years investigating nearly 12 million confidential files — a bigger cache of documents than 2016’s Panama Papers.

It is worthy to note that some of the world leaders mentioned in that report, including Russian President, Vladimir Putin; former British Prime Minister, Mr. Tony Blair; King Abdullah Il bin Al-Hussien of Jordan, have all denied any wrong doing.

We have read the report published by Premium Times and I found it troubling. From the title, “Pandora Papers: Inside Peter Obi’s secret businesses – and how he broke the law”, it was obvious that Premium Times was out to rubbish Mr. Obi and damage his profile.

I am not out to defend the former governor, as he’s capable of doing so himself. However, I am worried that Premium Times has gone beyond its role to pass verdict on Mr. Obi. It described him as a man assumed to be clean and then went ahead to state, “but beyond the facade of priggish speeches and appearances, an investigation by PREMIUM TIMES has now shown that Mr. Obi is not entirely transparent in his affairs as he likes Nigerians to believe.”

This is a hatchet job meant to put the ex-governor on the spot without properly establishing he had run foul of the law. Other news outlets have equally published the papers and not one of those mentioned was as indicted as Premium Times has done of Mr. Obi. The news organization created the wrong impression of Mr. Obi and one will be right to accuse them, and rightly too, of being a tool in the hands of those rattled by Obi’s rising profile.

One cannot rule out political opponents, who are afraid of Obi’s chances ahead of the 2023 elections, using Premium Times to cut him down. By mixing news story with its opinion of the investigation, Premium Times passed judgment. This is wrong. Facts are sacred and opinions are free, and in news writing, you present the facts and leave opinion for the Opinion Pages. To infuse your opinion in a news story is wrong and on this Premium Times was judgmental.

As far as the report goes, there was no where Mr. Obi was accused of stealing government money and depositing it into the so-called ‘Shell Companies”; the investigation never said that Anambra State money was missing and was found in the account. So, Mr. Peter should not be so profiled as Premium Times has done.

Premium Times saw this report as an opportunity to ‘nail’ Obi, on whose behalf, I do not know. But it is in bad taste. You don’t editorialize in a news story.

Mr. Peter was a successful business man before he ventured into politics. His curriculum vitae is intimidating. His success in whatever capacity he had participated remains a reference point. Naturally, he is a marked man.

Premium Times was not fair to Mr. Obi and on that score, we fault the publication and see it as a hatchet job and witch-hunting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Briggsss: 10:27am On Oct 06, 2021
Issokay
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by AkalaJ: 10:27am On Oct 06, 2021
What's all this rubbish sef? Was Peter Obi mentioned in the Pandora Papers or not? So why attacking Premium Times for reporting the findings? Is Peter Obi the only person mentioned in the Pandora Papers? Is Peter Obi meant to be beyond reproach or untouchable or something, because I don't get this knee jerk reaction from a particular section of Nigeria. It doesn't even make any sense.

8 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by expertman(m): 10:29am On Oct 06, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Ekez(m): 10:30am On Oct 06, 2021
We understand what they are trying to do but f*ck em

1 Like

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Ekez(m): 10:33am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:
What's all this rubbish sef? Was Peter Obi mentioned in the Pandora Papers or not? So why attacking Premium Times for reporting the findings? Is Peter Obi the only person mentioned in the Pandora Papers? Is Peter Obi meant to be beyond reproach or untouchable or something, because I don't get this knee jerk reaction from a particular section of Nigeria. It doesn't even make any sense.
Shebi you get Sense so
The first report say ""Peter Obi and nine others.
So my question:
Who are the nine others

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by nairalandankrah: 10:35am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

Premium times is an embarrassment to journalism! They really messed up with that obviously biased reportage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by AkalaJ: 10:43am On Oct 06, 2021
Ekez:

Shebi you get Sense so
The first report say ""Peter Obi and nine others.
So my question:
Who are the nine others

You see how dense you are? Some of you just argue and support people blindly. The same premium Times had previously mentioned and listed the names of the involved Nigerians even before the story about Peter Obi.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html

It even appeared on Nairaland sef, and una no make noise then.

https://www.nairaland.com/6784408/pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes

They're exposing the culprits one after the other. They've also exposed Bagudu. But because you people are bigots, you see Pandora Papers as a witch hunt against your 'Saint' Obi. Una mumu never reach??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Sirjamo: 10:47am On Oct 06, 2021
We already know that they will defend him without even reading the article.

Anyone found wanting in the PDP/ South East can never go wrong, never.

Under Peter Obi as governor, 25 Igbo youths were slaughtered and bodies dumped in a river, no protest.

NDDC abandoned 13000 projects after collecting money, no protest because they are from a certain region.

Ipob terrorists killing people for fun in the South East, no protest from the Media, PDP and CAN. The Media has even refused to refer to Ipob as terrorists.

Now, Obi has been exposed, the media are doing everything they can to suppress the revelation, because it's not Tinubu or El Rufai.

6 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Ekez(m): 10:47am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

You see how dense you are? Some of you just argue and support people blindly. The same premium Times had previously mentioned and listed the names of the involved Nigerians even before the story about Peter Obi.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html
Ok
How many times dem don write about the remaining mini members??

It even appeared on Nairaland sef, and una no make noise then.

https://www.nairaland.com/6784408/pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes

They're exposing the culprits one after the other. They've also exposed Bagudu. But because you people are bigots, you see Pandora Papers as a witch hunt against your 'Saint' Obi. Una mumu never reach??
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by AkalaJ: 10:53am On Oct 06, 2021
nairalandankrah:

Premium times is an embarrassment to journalism! They really messed up with that obviously biased reportage.

What is biased about their reportage? Were they also biased when they did the piece on Governor Bagudu whose name also appeared in the Pandora Papers?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/pandora-papers/488140-pandora-papers-how-governor-bagudu-amassed-dirty-billions-and-how-he-is-hiding-it.html

Is Peter Obi above reproach?? You igbos are doing a good job of showing the world how biased you are in your reactions when your darling politicians are exposed for wrongdoing. All of a sudden they're being 'witch hunted'. The same una dey accuse politicians from other parts of Nigeria of criminality even without evidence.

But in this case, 600 reporters from 150 media houses across 117 countries have done an extensive report that indicts several world leaders including Nigerians of wrongdoing, and all you can do is outrightly discredit their works because your 'saintly' kinsman is amongst those accused in the report. Una no well.

4 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Charmingrascal(m): 10:58am On Oct 06, 2021
Allegations against him are with proofs, he is yet to come deny or admit it.

He is paying the media to do damage control on his behalf.

Y'all vouching for this fraud are delusional.
Y'all call Tinubu a drug baron, called Atiku a corrupt man, but when your lord's fraudulent lifestyle is exposed y'all are crying foul.

You ain't seen nothing yet, you will cry a lagoon.

5 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by nairalandankrah: 11:02am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

What is biased about their reportage? Were they also biased when they did the piece on Governor Bagudu whose name Aso appeared in the Pandora Papers?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/pandora-papers/488140-pandora-papers-how-governor-bagudu-amassed-dirty-billions-and-how-he-is-hiding-it.html

Is Peter Obi above reproach?? You igbos are doing a good job of showing the world how biased you are in your reactions when your darling politicians are exposed for wrongdoing. All of a sudden they're being 'witch hunted'. The same una dey accuse politicians from other parts of Nigeria of criminality even without evidence.

But in this case, 600 reporters from 150 media houses across 117 countries have done an extensive report that indicts several world leaders including Nigerians of wrongdoing, and all you can do is outrightly discredit their works because your 'saintly' kinsman is amongst those accused in the report. Una no well.

When will you use this same energy to enlighten us about how tinubu built his cocaine empire??
When you see an Igbo name your dick will stand erect and you'll quickly go and create a new Monika so as to spill gibberish...

Go and siddon for sambisa! Boko haram

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by AkalaJ: 11:10am On Oct 06, 2021
nairalandankrah:

When will you use this same energy to enlighten us about how tinubu built his cocaine empire??
When you see an Igbo name your dick will stand erect and you'll quickly go and create a new Monika so as to spill gibberish...

I can't do such because I don't have any such evidence of your accusation against Tinubu. You are the one making the accusation therefore the onus is on you to present the incontrovertible evidence, I'm sure most Nigerians would be eager to see it.

So get to work and start doing some digging. You can even contract the likes of David Hundeyin to assist you in your investigations. If you find anything indicting, I bet you even the US government would be eager to jump on it and blacklist him.

But whether you succeed at that or not, it won't change the facts about what the Pandora Papers have unearthed about Saint Peter. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by nairalandankrah: 11:15am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

I can't do such because I don't have any such evidence of your accusation against Tinubu. You are the one making the accusation therefore the onus is on you to present the incontrovertible evidence, I'm sure most Nigerians would be eager to see it.

So get to work and start doing some digging. You can even contract the likes of David Hundeyin to assist you in your investigations. If you find anything indicting, I bet you even the US government would be eager to jump on it and blacklist him.

But whether you succeed at that or not, it won't change the facts about what the Pandora Papers have U earthed about Saint Peter. undecided

According to fella,(God bless his soul), zombiesm is an incurable disease..So, No amount of digging up or evidence I post here on tinubu, will be able to cure you..
You're a lost soul already, blind and lost!. Can't waste my time on you! Sorry!

1 Like

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by AkalaJ: 11:22am On Oct 06, 2021
nairalandankrah:

According to fella,(God bless his soul), zombiesm is an incurable disease..So, No amount of digging up or evidence I post here on tinubu, will be able to cure you..
You're a lost soul already, add blindness to it.. Can't waste my time on you! Sorry!

I think you are better off sticking to your Biafra agitation than trying to sound smart by dabbling into subject matters that are beyond your iq capabilities. You expose your mental deficiencies and limitations with each attempt to contribute to any non-Biafra related discourse. Or perhaps it could also be that the agitation has actually made you dumber/dull as an individual. Just saying. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by JavaScript90: 11:22am On Oct 06, 2021
When I said obis case was a witch hunt, some people accused me of being a tribalist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Wisdomkosi(m): 11:29am On Oct 06, 2021
Two paid media organisations disgracing themselves
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Mace0lane: 11:33am On Oct 06, 2021
But foolish aigbo like yourselves never stop insulting Tinubu though he as been acquitted of every crime he ever went to the court for. Why not let Peter Obi go to the court to clear is name ?
nairalandankrah:

3 Likes

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by tsdarkside(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

you dey min dem....??

igbos think,igbo criminals are better than all other criminals in the world....

look how desperate they are to get that london criminal released....supleme mugu....

1 Like

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by nairalandankrah: 11:44am On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

I think you are better off sticking to your Biafra agitation than trying to sound smart by dabbling into subject matters that are beyond your iq capabilities. You expose your mental deficiencies and limitations with each attempt to contribute to any non-Biafra related discourse. Or perhaps it could also be that the agitation has actually made you dumber/dull as an individual. Just saying. undecided

Lols, what's the essense of all these your Tinubu grammar when you don't even know how to make sense? just saying undecided
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by tsdarkside(m): 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
nairalandankrah:

Lols, what's the essense of all these your Tinubu grammar when you don't even know how to make sense? just saying undecided

you ipobians are all dumb....
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Newton85: 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
The Eboe fucktards at Ripples are using the platform to defend their tribal bigot and thief Obi by crying "witch-hunt!!" It's only "witch-hunt" when Eboe criminals like Obi are involved, but normal when it's time to abuse El-Rufai, Sanwo-Olu, and Tinubu. Maybe it was Premium Times that told Pandora Papers to expose the hypocritical scoundrel Obi.

1 Like

Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by BigSarah(f): 12:07pm On Oct 06, 2021
Obi broke federal law, on declaration of assets..
There's no report of stealing or embezzlement, that's the angle that should be known...
The assets cited were already in existence prior to his inauguration
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by houseontherock: 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
Obi messed up but let's look at the rest of the rotten bunch in the pandora box, stop the witch-huntundecided
Re: Pandora: Ripples Nigeria Condemns Premium Times Witch-hunt Article On Peter Obi by Moferere: 1:52pm On Oct 06, 2021
AkalaJ:

Let them continue to defend the corrupt man

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Google Lists Nnamdi Kanu, As Top Trending Search Currently / Atiku Is My Presidential Candidate Not Tinubu: Mr. Ibu Makes More Clarification / Who Will You Rate The Best Performing Governor In Nigeria Presently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.