Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? (20099 Views)

How Is Uber/bolt Business Guys Coping / Can You Allow This Okada Rider Take You To Your Destination? Photo / Pictures Of The New International Terminal At MMIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by rontolo(m): 10:52pm On Oct 09, 2021
Book a hotel taxi, tell them to pick you up from the domestic wing, that you’re arriving from Benin or wherever local. Call the driver just after you land to pick you up from the international wing instead as you’ve had a change of plans. This reduces your risk in several ways:

1. Local arrivals is much less kidnap risk compared to international arrivals
2. Last minute change of plan leaves little time for kidnappers to organise and adapt their kidnap plans

Finally, be vigilant as the vehicle moves. I tell the driver impromptu, the route I want him to take e.g. 3rd mainland bridge etc. No shortcuts, no detours, no 3rd party meet-up, no back streets. Being alert, outspoken is a deterrent by itself as it can unnerve criminals

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Jefferyhi86(m): 10:53pm On Oct 09, 2021
50/50 when oluwa n village people are involved
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by OGAStacks2021: 10:55pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lodge in Ibis near the airport next day you can strategize your movement. Do not move around at night in Nigeria. Everyone is hungry now. They have market for humans now. Get to the airport hotel immediately. Hotels.ng will help.
oldienavie:
Hi guys, I need experiences from people flying into Nigeria(MMIA) Lagos.
My family is not going to be able to meet me at the airport this time and I am weighing up my options with transit.

I have a friend who said he knows someone that does transportation that he can come pick me up and take me to an hotel, however I am a little skeptical with that option with the high rates of insecurity in the country.

My opinion is that sometimes being annonymous to your service provider is better, but I am a little concerned with the security level of Uber in Lagos.

Are uber drivers known to kidnap their clients particularly people boarding them at MMIA ?

Can uber hold their drivers responsible if something untoward were to happen to their clients, or if they are known to connive with kidnappers etc ?

I just need experienced info and also from uber drivers to make a better decision.

THanks all.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by UltimateStarman: 10:55pm On Oct 09, 2021
oldienavie:
My family is not going to be able to meet me at the airport this time and I am weighing up my options with transit.

I have a friend who said he knows someone that does transportation that he can come pick me up and take me to an hotel, however I am a little skeptical with that option with the high rates of insecurity in the country.

My opinion is that sometimes being annonymous to your service provider is better, but I am a little concerned with the security level of Uber in Lagos.

Are uber drivers known to kidnap their clients particularly people boarding them at MMIA ?

Can uber hold their drivers responsible if something untoward were to happen to their clients, or if they are known to connive with kidnappers etc ?

I just need experienced info and also from uber drivers to make a better decision.

THanks all.
no one can
Go
nothing will happen to you
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by nerorex01: 11:05pm On Oct 09, 2021
Sometimes it's dangerous to be in the country without people knowing of your movements. It's advisable that you confide in someone at least for reasons based on safety.

Then, to the hotel proper, claim or form street for drivers , if possible raise your speech tempo as you communicate. You can even form a conversation on the phone with a major general while you switch language.

tripplephi:

I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SHOES MANY TIMES... here is the solution I used.

I booked an hotel in Ikeja that has an airport pickup service... so anytime I arrive Lagos Nigeria, I simply call the number of the driver, then call the hotel booking number for confirmation, take a snapshot of the car and driver and send to someone I can trust and also my location will be shared on whatsapp while the ride is on..... then I get to the hotel, if I like, I can cancel the room and leave or complete the payment and stay

Even at the airport there are CAB SERVICES that you can negotiate to your budget, also there are hotel services....

Anonymity is good and I prefer being in the country for a few days earlier than the time everyone expects.

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Originalsly: 11:08pm On Oct 09, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

You already answered the question, but if you read carefully said I know about security,these stuffs are online these days, I didn't learn it in Brazil because I have no need for it here because Brazil is safe, I only do it in Nigeria. Anytime I land the airport in Brazil I take (99)local version of uber , first time landed in Brazil I used the airport taxi and it was comfortable and safe infact the driver helped me with my luggage to the reception.if you were white I would say you are racist, lol, the USA is the highest consumer of drugs in the whole world, so trying to join (coke run) and Brazil in the same sentence sounds somehow to me, it is a simple security strategy.

Nooo! .... South American cartels full in my work area .... is ground zero for wholesale coke. I be seeing them switching stuff from car to car.... can't really trace them... like is a normal thing. Was curious if you learned that kind movement from the streets there as I did from the streets here.... and adapted it to make yourself untraceable when in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Elsueno: 11:16pm On Oct 09, 2021
oldienavie:

THanks all.

Lmao...what's ur networth, 5-10 million dollars?

Abeg calm down, dis kind of paranoia will even make it easy for d real kidnappers to spot u. Nigeria is not dat bad. Uber/bolt is safe, if u are still scared just pick a prominent place on d app like a hospital/restaurant etc. Then book another ride from thier

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by ReeLoaDead(m): 11:16pm On Oct 09, 2021
Nigeria is an absolute jungle … people cannot even travel here in peace undecided
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 09, 2021
Originalsly:

Nooo! .... South American cartels full in my work area .... is ground zero for wholesale coke. I be seeing them switching stuff from car to car.... can't really trace them... like is a normal thing. Was curious if you learned that kind movement from the streets there as I did from the streets here.... and adapted it to make yourself untraceable when in Nigeria.

Lol, no o, maybe I just watch too many spy movies, my motto is don't be a victim, so I am always ready, I am not sacred of anything but it is good to be security conscious, aside drugs dealers, journalists, whistle blowers and spies use that tragedy to dust off any tail, those coke travel from the jungles of South America to America, lol, I still don't understand why people do drugs, that job is dirty, you can make clean money, with ordinary drop shipping you can make money all you need is just to advertise and that's it

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 09, 2021
Elsueno:

Abeg calm down, dis kind of paranoia will even make it easy for d real kidnappers to spot u. Nigeria is not dat bad. Uber/bolt is safe, if u are still scared just pick a prominent place on d app like a hospital/restaurant etc. Then book another ride from thier

Lol abeg free the guy Jor, my cheap Samsung phone means alot to me because I have not even finish paying for it, lol. So don't blame the man abeg, abroad life nor easy,today the summer heat was too much but I still had to work, videos on my laptop that I have not uploaded yet online is there because once you loose it that's it would cost alot to go back and make another video, to get robbed off your phone and laptop is painful,cash no problem

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
nerorex01:
Sometimes it's dangerous to be in the country without people knowing of your movements. It's advisable that you confide in someone at least for reasons based on safety.

Then, to the hotel proper, claim or form street for drivers , if possible raise your speech tempo as you communicate. You can even form a conversation on the phone with a major general while you switch language.

Yea I kinda agree, someone should know but they should not know your location until you have settled in

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by tripplephi: 11:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
golor:

What's the difference with that and Uber na so una go de spoil people business anyhow .. .so the hotel driver cannot harm u if he's the devil type ?

Let me help enlighten you. THE HOTEL STAFF are the ones at the airport, and so far no such issue has ever been reported. It is safer and sometimes cheaper to get them online to bring their driver to carry you to the hotel.

Airport drivers are not nice people (I HAVE TRIED MANY).... no one can convince me otherwise... they believe because of airport every journey must be expensive.... but since they are registered at the airport, they may be trackable

Just use whatever method works for your budget and peace of mind
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by cardoctor(m): 11:25pm On Oct 09, 2021
Some time ago in Lagos, i took a uber cab from Obalende to magodo around 11pm. The driver called me on arrival. His truecaller name came up as "BAD MAN". Me sef be area boy for lag so i no fear. The guy turned out to be a very nice lad. Anothers story may not be the same.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Ventrue: 11:28pm On Oct 09, 2021
GOD IS THE ONLY ONE ABLE TO SAVE. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God with thanksgiving, Philippians 4:6.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by golor(m): 11:38pm On Oct 09, 2021
tripplephi:

Let me help enlighten you. THE HOTEL STAFF are the ones at the airport, and so far no such issue has ever been reported. It is safer and sometimes cheaper to get them online to bring their driver to carry you to the hotel.

Airport drivers are not nice people (I HAVE TRIED MANY).... no one can convince me otherwise... they believe because of airport every journey must be expensive.... but since they are registered at the airport, they may be trackable

Just use whatever method works for your budget and peace of mind

Same way bolt can be tracked. I drive on bolt when I am chanced. They have your NIN and your driver's license record. And ur bank details what other means can one use to track a Nigerian

Personally na me de fear my passenger not the other way round reason u see a bolt driver hardly picking males at night . In bolt u are free to snap the driver video the plate number too.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by raphloren: 11:44pm On Oct 09, 2021
Trying to be too careful n smart is dangerous. But n Uber are safe. There's never been a report of them going wrong except harrasment n false accusations by arrogant ladies. Even people with security details are not safe. VIP n celebrity use them so take Ur mind off. God is the one who protects. Most hotel staffs give out information to bad guys too
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by cooooooks(m): 11:54pm On Oct 09, 2021
Uber was safe for me when I was last in Lagos.

My advice: if the hotel has a pickup service, use it (if the hotel's name is body written on the body).

I would be safe with Uber or local drivers.

If you know someone who travels a lot, they may be able to get you a driver as well. I used the driver of a friend who regularly travels to Lagos. The driver does Uber and Bolt but turns off the apps whenever one of his customers is in town.

oldienavie:

THanks all.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by micflo28(m): 11:57pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ask a trusted friend to come pick you
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Febcom(m): 12:02am On Oct 10, 2021
You seem to be very funny, can't you travel into Nigeria with you making ovation of your arrival. You can land into Lagos from your phone book any hotel of your choice and get Uber driver to drop you.... Stop been kidding and acting like over ripe Mimi..
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by komodapson(m): 12:13am On Oct 10, 2021
Elsueno:

Can you imagine...see me see trouble ó

Infact, this was the exact thought that came to my mind like "How mush you get wey dem one kidnap you" "moreover, who you be?"....

Guinea Bissau returnee, whom we should be more concerned about his health status sèf so as not to be another Patrick Sawyer, na him una gather dey reply his post.

One hediot was even acting James bond up there

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by greggng: 12:19am On Oct 10, 2021
amodujames:
Use danfo.. You are coming to Nigeria
Nigeria is crazy
You need to act crazy bro

Stop mentioning danfo cos if him enter one chance ...them go panel beat his head ...his relative won't be able to recognise him ...they did it to one of my brother's ...immediately I saw him I ran away as if I saw a monster .
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by komodapson(m): 12:25am On Oct 10, 2021
rontolo:
Book a hotel taxi, tell them to pick you up from the domestic wing, that you’re arriving from Benin or wherever local. Call the driver just after you land to pick you up from the international wing instead as you’ve had a change of plans. This reduces your risk in several ways:

1. Local arrivals is much less kidnap risk compared to international arrivals
2. Last minute change of plan leaves little time for kidnappers to organise and adapt their kidnap plans

Finally, be vigilant as the vehicle moves. I tell the driver impromptu, the route I want him to take e.g. 3rd mainland bridge etc. No shortcuts, no detours, no 3rd party meet-up, no back streets. Being alert, outspoken is a deterrent by itself as it can unnerve criminals

Go and sit down.... On top South Sudan wey u go... Foreigners are being chauffeured on this platforms without stress, na ur type with 2002 "unbankable" $ notes, wey aboki dey reject na him kidnappers dey find....
Listen to yourself again, whether you're making sense out of the above statement in bold...
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by greggng: 12:30am On Oct 10, 2021
you should use the term "a hotel."

The English language is said to be one of the most difficult ones worldwide to learn. This is most likely because there are almost as many exceptions as there are grammar rules. Just when you manage to learn one rule, you find that the rule "doesn't always apply." For example, the word "an" normally precedes any words that begin with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) such as "an orange," "an umbrella" or "an apple."

This rule is fairly straightforward and easy to remember until you come to words beginning with the letter h. What word should you use if you want to write a word such as "hotel?"

Using Vowel Sounds

A very easy way to determine if you should use "an" or "a" before a letter beginning with h is to pronounce the word to see how it sounds. If you don't pronounce the letter h such as in the words "hour" or "honest", you would use the word "an". For example, "an hour" or "an honest man."

If you do pronounce the letter h at the beginning of the word such as "hair" or "happy," you should use the letter "a" before it. For example, "a hair" or "a happy girl."

An Exception To The Exception

After reading this, you probably think you have mastered the use of "a" or "an" with words beginning with h. For example, you can now write the words "a hospital" or "an heir" with confidence. You may wonder why people find this particular rule so difficult.

Well, to make matters more confusing, there is another exception to the above exception. If the accent of a word that begins with h falls on the second syllable, you would use the word "a" instead of "an." For example, "an historical event." Although this is grammatically correct, many people writers continue to use "a historical event."

Given the above rules and exceptions, the answer to our initial question is that you should use the term "a hotel."
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by nedekid: 12:40am On Oct 10, 2021
oldienavie:

THanks all.
Hmm. Leave that thing. Buzz me and I will send my driver to pick you up and drop you anywhere in Lagos as a fellow nairalander cool
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by moneyissweet(m): 12:46am On Oct 10, 2021
Working in Brazil?

Chaii, abeg come back home.

walkbrazil4k:

This is what I do as someone that is always security conscious with some security experience , once I land I take a ride from the airport, you can use any other app,if I am going to a hotel in ikeja, I would tell the ride that picked me from the airport to drop me at a bus stop where I can get another ride and from there I would take that ride to my destination and that way you can stay safe and some times I take up to 3 rides, remember na you know the valuables way you carry, after working hard under the sun/rain in Brazil , I don't want to get FUped in my own country
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Olayetan(m): 12:57am On Oct 10, 2021
oldienavie:

THanks all.

I'm into Uber myself but I can't vouch for others as we have different motives.

But it's safe to some extent, just make sure the driver profile on the app matches what you see when the driver arrives, info. Like,
The car license plate
The drivers picture
And check the numbers of trips the driver has done so far.
All this can still guarantee your safety with the driver and always remember to share your ETA with your loved ones(2 or more people)

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by suffering: 12:58am On Oct 10, 2021
What a hopeless question. The country you’re coming from, do Uber drivers kidnap people? If no then it’s the same in Nigeria.
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Charmerbeautylooks(f): 1:00am On Oct 10, 2021
contact me I will pick u up
Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Rocktation(f): 1:01am On Oct 10, 2021
uncleck:
If you're not a politician or a celebrity, just calm down and stop being paranoid. Nobody knows you. VIPs use Uber in Nigeria and nobody reason them. But in case you're still scared, just take an Uber to a hotel not too far from the airport. Sit at the bar or reception and book another one to another hotel in another location. You're good to go. Make sure you don't speak Queen's English.

This!
@OP, Basically, just calm down. I know what it can be like with even fellow Africans asking stupid questions, trying to dissuade you from going back home, but calm the EFF down. Nobody knows you, indeed!
You may even walk on egg shells all you want at the airport and heaven forbid, the kidnap might still be arranged by the "loved ones" you're going to meet at the family compound...
Just pray and be street smart, but not paranoid.

1 Like

Re: Travelling Into Nigerian (MMIA) Is Uber Safe To Your Destination Within Lagos ? by Gval123: 1:33am On Oct 10, 2021
Baba una mean say naija don bad like this? No na, Naija never horrible like that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? / Uncharged Cellphones Banned On US Flights From Africa And Asia / Lagos Govt To Repair Third Mainland Bridge On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.