Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,490 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? (8343 Views)

What Happens If The One Praying Behind An Imam Says The Tasleem Before Him? / Are You A Traveler? Learn How And When To Shorten Solat! / Explanation Of QABLI And BAADI (corrections Of Mistakes In Solah) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Lukgaf(m): 7:15am On Oct 08, 2021
One of the mercy of Islam is that if you are a traveller, you are permitted to shorten Solat Dhur, Asr and Ishai from 4 to 2 rakahs. This is called Qos'r (refer to the thread where this has been exclusively discussed). You can do this when you're praying alone or you lead others in Solah as imam. What if you are praying behind a resident Imam who will complete the length of the Solah? Are you still going to shorten the length? Below thread provides an answer to this question

Praise be to Allah.

When the traveller prays behind a non-traveller, he has to offer the prayer in full, whether he catches up with the entire prayer or just one rak’ah, or less. Al-Athram said: I asked Abu ‘Abd-Allaah (i.e., Imam Ahmad) about the traveller: should he join in the tashahhud of residents? He said: He should pray four rak’ahs. That was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar, Ibn ‘Abbaas and a number of the Taabi’een, and was also the view of al-Shaafa’i and Abu Haneefah.

The evidence for that is:

1 – The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “The imam is appointed to be followed, so do not differ from him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 722; Muslim, 4141.

2 – The report narrated by Ahmad from Ibn ‘Abbaas, that it was said to him: “Why does the traveller pray two rak’ahs when he is alone and four when he follows an imam who is a resident (non-traveller)?” He said: “That is the Sunnah” – meaning that it is the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 571.

3 – This is what ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) did. Naafi’ said: When Ibn ‘Umar prayed with the imam he would pray four rak’ahs and when he prayed on his own he would pray two. Narrated by Muslim.

And Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

If the traveller prays with an imam then he has to offer the prayer in full, because of the general meaning of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “The imam is appointed to be followed.” And because the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) used to pray behind the caliph ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan during Hajj in Mina, and he used to lead them in praying four rak’ahs so they offered four rak’ahs with him.

Similarly if the traveller joins the prayer when the imam is offering the last two rak’ahs, after the imam says the salaam he has to stand up and complete his prayer, making it four rak’ahs, because of the general meaning of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whatever you catch up with, pray, what whatever you miss, complete it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 635; Muslim, 603. In this case the person’s prayer is connected to the imam, so he has to follow the imam even with regard to whatever he missed of the prayer.

If a person used to pray two rak’ahs behind a non-travelling imam in the past, then he has to repeat the four-rak’ah prayers in which he did that. He does not have to offer them all in one go. He should try to work out the number of prayers involved and repeat them.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh, p. 40-41.

Source: IslamQA

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Gaddafi1: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2021
Knowledge is power, thanks for sharing this information which is very helpful for travelers. Prayer will also cover every other person.

9 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by soliufiljannah(m): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2021
Lukgaf:
One of the mercy of Islam is that if you are a traveller, you are permitted to shorten Solat Dhur, Asr and Ishai from 4 to 2 rakahs. This is called Qos'r (refer to the thread where this has been exclusively discussed). You can do this when you're praying alone or you lead others in Solah as imam. What if you are praying behind a resident Imam who will complete the length of the Solah? Are you still going to shorten the length? Below thread provides an answer to this question

Source: IslamQA
Jazaakumullahu khaeran

2 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Terrence99: 9:49am On Oct 08, 2021
Please, which Muslim can tell me the rewards for women in Islam?

5 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by adesegun121(m): 9:51am On Oct 08, 2021
Yes

1 Like

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 9:51am On Oct 08, 2021
Jazakhumullah khairay

1 Like

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Highbeepeeh(m): 9:51am On Oct 08, 2021
Proffwhyhurry12:
Jazakhumullah khairay
Jazakhumullah khairan
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by WinLABSstores: 9:53am On Oct 08, 2021
Good
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Farid24224(m): 9:56am On Oct 08, 2021
Masha Allah.... Always thought about this.

1 Like

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by dmaze: 10:04am On Oct 08, 2021
Salaam alaykum warahmatullah ta'aala wabarakatu.

Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

I have a question- what happens in a case where both the Imam and the people praying behind him are all travellers, and say they have to read the 2 o' clock prayers; do they shorten the prayer to 2 rakats or must pray the whole complete 4 rakats?reminder.

1 Like

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Aldebaran(m): 10:10am On Oct 08, 2021
Barka Jumma

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by 4djustnation: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2021
I have a question please..if you are travelling, and the solaat time meets you on board flight and you prayed at that with gesticulation, do you have to repay the solaat when you get to your final destination?
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Unlettered: 10:15am On Oct 08, 2021
chigator2:

WTH!!

What does the duration of a prayer imply on the intent, sincerity, and righteousness of the individual praying?

All these unnecessary and basically pointless rules found in Islam serve only to boost HYPOCRISY.

That is why an Islamic terrorist can justify his wickedness after all he is devoted to all the dictates of the sunnah.

Salam brother, Islam is a religion of rules and guidelines. In life, whoever is not guided by rules is either not living or has gone astray. E.g. to get a visa to a country, you have to accept and qualify to their rules and regulations. So what makes you think Allah SWT who’s the creator, sustainer and provider will just create all that is there to see with no rules to guide it?

Even a simple baby cradle has a manual on how to fix it which is being made by the crafter to guide you on how to fix it.

So i suggest you seek for knowledge or stay away from the said religion. Its your choice. Surah kafirun made it clear, islam is cant be forced on non-believers. You can join the islam and follow its rules and guideline of Quran and hadith. Or you stay away and do as you like. Simple.

W/salam

6 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by olarid01: 10:17am On Oct 08, 2021
dmaze:

I have a question- what happens in a case where both the Imam and the people praying behind him are all travellers, and say they have to read the 2 o' clock prayers; do they shorten the prayer to 2 rakats or must pray the whole complete 4 rakats?reminder.

1. There is no 2 clock prayer, it is zuhr, usually comes around 1pm and above.
2. Yes, they can shorten their prayer

1 Like

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Kuzzey(m): 10:17am On Oct 08, 2021
Jazakallah!
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 08, 2021
bashir1451:

You're making your business that which has no business with you. May almighty Allah heal your soul.
Bashir May Allah heal your hate filled terrorist soul too, that’s how you people are you speak softly and peacefully outside but in your hearts you are boiling with Hatred and planning Evil, don’t think you can fool me with your nonsense words of peace . May Allah heal you first before he heals me , Rubbish See how your religious bigots have Crippled and continually cripple our great country you won’t talk about that it’s About healing my heart . Nonsense go and ask Allah to heal buhari and Pantamis hearts first . Nonsense

8 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by chigator2: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2021
Unlettered:

Salam brother, Islam is a religion of rules and guidelines. In life, whoever is not guided by rules is either not living or has gone astray. E.g. to get a visa to a country, you have to accept and qualify to their rules and regulations. So what makes you think Allah SWT who’s the creator, sustainer and provider will just create all that is there to see with no rules to guide it?

Even a simple baby cradle has a manual on how to fix it which is being made by the crafter to guide you on how to fix it.

So i suggest you seek for knowledge or stay away from the said religion. Its your choice. Surah kafirun made it clear, islam is cant be forced on non-believers. You can join the islam and follow its rules and guideline of Quran and hadith. Or you stay away and do as you like. Simple.

W/salam

So do you qualify for Heaven by the number of Hours you pray or by actually being a good person.

As I said, this mentality breeds Hypocrisy.

According to your Explanation, A terrorist can be confident in his atrocity as long as he prays he a stipulated quantity of hours or so.

This is what differentiates True Faith from Earthly Religion

7 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Unlettered: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2021
Jazakhallahu khair,

Word of advice, we should try as much as possible to ignore anyone who is not a muslim that is trying to infiltrate islamic threads. As long as what they re asking is not geniune.

Because in all my days on nairaland, i dont think ive ever seen any christian thread that has been created on sundays which has been infiltrated by people from other religions.

The basic reason why religious thread i created i believe is to give out knowlegde on things we know and things we dont know. So we should just gain the knowlegde and if possible add what we know. Rather than allwoing someone who’s motive is just to create more confusion by giving them the attention they seek.

W/salam.

6 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by elmagnifico411(m): 10:21am On Oct 08, 2021
What are u repaying? You've prayed noni.. hian! I tire for una. See ehn, common sense follow for religion oh, and serving God no hard abeg, na human being dey compound d issue.
4djustnation:
I have a question please..if you are travelling, and the solaat time meets you on board flight and you prayed at that with gesticulation, do you have to repay the solaat when you get to your final destination?

2 Likes

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Elfaris(m): 10:22am On Oct 08, 2021
Masha Allah.
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Unlettered: 10:26am On Oct 08, 2021
chigator2:

So do you qualify for Heaven by the number of Hours you pray or by actually being a good person.

As I said, this mentality breeds Hypocrisy.

According to your Explanation, A terrorist can be confident in his atrocity as long as he prays he a stipulated quantity of hours or so.

This is what differentiates True Faith from Earthly Religion

You either listen with the two ears provided by Allah Azzawajal or you listen with the one mouth he gave you. Dont read to to reply, read to understand before you reply.

What i said was Allah SWT sent down rules to guide the religion of islam and a messenger to show its members how it can be followed. Who said Allah swt and Muh’d SAW asked people to go and become terrorists?! That s awestern mentality and there is no tribe, culture or community that doesnt have bad eggs. But judging a whole religion because of a few bad eggs makes you a dunce. Go and get that knowledge rather than being here just to read and argue.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by Hndrrxxx(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2021
Very important question
Re: You're A Traveller Praying Behind A Imam, Can You Still Shorten Your Solah? by drlateef: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2021
dmaze:

All travellers can pray in Jamaat and pray Qos’r as jamaat.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common / Solatul Subhi And My Work / Points To Assist A Declining Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.